• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Shanks

Whenever I was in the Apple store buying my mac they had the dock set up a bit differently. They had a folder on the dock with a bunch of apps in it. I wanted to create a folder called games or something and put some shortcuts to some games in it for easy access. Is it called stacks or something? I couldn't find anything in spotlight about it..

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Shanks said:
Whenever I was in the Apple store buying my mac they had the dock set up a bit differently. They had a folder on the dock with a bunch of apps in it. I wanted to create a folder called games or something and put some shortcuts to some games in it for easy access. Is it called stacks or something? I couldn't find anything in spotlight about it..

Just drag a folder to the Dock, on the right side of the divider. Voila.

Mar

These are dark times for linux in regards to myself. I was an exclusive linux user for probably 3 years until I bought an iTouch. That was the beginning of my Apple fascination and soon my house was Apple only. However I still used linux as my desktop at work.

Just now my boss informed me that a purchase order for my Mac Mini was sent off. It's going to replace my ubuntu box here. It's the end of an era! I've officially handed in my linux badge.

is it me, or is anyone else getting flash player unexpectedly quitting in safari after updating to snow leopard?

its been happening more often than not :(

btkadams

Stabby McSter said:
is it me, or is anyone else getting flash player unexpectedly quitting in safari after updating to snow leopard?

its been happening more often than not :(
yup. and safari has been randomly crashing too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just randomly tossing out there that I misjudged Handbrake so badly...oh so badly...

I tried using handbrake in the past to start converting all my DVDs into .m4v files to use on my media center Mac Mini...but like all of them wouldn't read, so I tried using Mac the Ripper + Toast...and that produced some shitty ass results.

Turns out all Handbrake needed was a little VLC love (which I didn't have on my media center system) and it works like a fuckin charm. Amazing.

I'm now in the process of ripping all our DVDs and putting them on our media center for easy Front Row viewing.

...I love the digital lifestyle oh so much...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
quadriplegicjon said:
i've never used mplayer before.. do you install the binary pack as well?
It adds support for more obscure stuff or alternate drivers for codecs already supported. You'll probably won't need it, but if you ever do it's there.

RubxQub said:
Just randomly tossing out there that I misjudged Handbrake so badly...oh so badly...

I tried using handbrake in the past to start converting all my DVDs into .m4v files to use on my media center Mac Mini...but like all of them wouldn't read, so I tried using Mac the Ripper + Toast...and that produced some shitty ass results.

Turns out all Handbrake needed was a little VLC love (which I didn't have on my media center system) and it works like a fuckin charm. Amazing.

I'm now in the process of ripping all our DVDs and putting them on our media center for easy Front Row viewing.

...I love the digital lifestyle oh so much...

You could just use Plex and rip the DVDs as VOB files from Mac The Ripper. Takes up more space, but better quality, easier and quicker.

Sorry for auto quote, but I need help due to the total panic I'm currently in.

UnluckyKate said:
GAF ! HALP !

I was working on Keynote with Spotify on, and suddenly, the song stoped. So I checked Spotify and it was still running, so I hit my Volume Up key and nothing happened. With a 10 sec lag, sound going up animation poped up on screen, but nothing happened next.

Then the Sound preference windows poped up for some reason and everything seemed to be okay. But still no sound. I reboot my MBA and no, NO MORE OUTPUT DEVICE to be found.

WTF ? Is my internal speaker just died ?

Edit: It seems that I don't have anymore INPUT device as well. I can't be a coincidence ?!

Since this incident, some applications just don't work anymore. Some just don't lunch, some crash right after lunch, others are crashing right after I click on an option...

mrkgoo

UnluckyKate said:
Sorry for auto quote, but I need help due to the total panic I'm currently in.

Since this incident, some applications just don't work anymore. Some just don't lunch, some crash right after lunch, others are crashing right after I click on an option...

I'm not sure we can suggest much else if you've done a hard reset. With such a widespread general failure, we can only recommend reset/repair permissions/restore from backup (if you think something has happened via software), or go visit your local Apple centre.

RubxQub

infiniteloop said:
You could just use Plex and rip the DVDs as VOB files from Mac The Ripper. Takes up more space, but better quality, easier and quicker.
Plex doesn't turn on automatically when I press the menu button on my remote, so no dice!

The quality of Handbrake seems to be very good anyways, so I'm not too concerned about it. Worst thing I've noticed is a hint of audio lag on a rip or two which wasn't so off as to be HORRIBLY distracting (I'm actually a real pain in the ass about audio syncing, and it didn't bother me enough to do something about it).

I much prefer to keep things organized within iTunes/Front Row since it's built into the OS and works very nicely within my little ecosystem.

1. On the subject of ripping DVDs, what method will yield files that work best in Final Cut Pro? I don't know how Handbrake encodes them, but I know FCP doesn't play nice with some compression types.

2. How can I make widgets hang around on the desktop? I'd love to have a flight tracker or calculator on there without calling the dashboard.

3. Is there a Pandora radio widget?

mrkgoo said:
I'm not sure we can suggest much else if you've done a hard reset. With such a widespread general failure, we can only recommend reset/repair permissions/restore from backup (if you think something has happened via software), or go visit your local Apple centre.

No Apple Center YET in France. Still, I'm living in Paris, and it's been YEARS that they announced an Apple Store in here...

This shit drives me nuts. I'm phonejacking the hotline tomorrow in the first hour.

CTLance

Battersea Power Station: AFAIK The way to go about the widget stuff is as follows... but I don't know if it still applies, it's been a while.

Open the Terminal app (aka command line).

Type in: defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES
Press Enter.
Then type in: killall -HUP Dock
Press Enter again, your Dock will restart and Dashboard will reload its settings.

From now on, hitting the dashboard key (F12 I believe) while dragging a widget around will allow you to stick the widget on your desktop. The other way around works too.

(<shill>Also, try Operas widgets in case you're unwilling to do the above!</shill>)

Guled

I have windows 7 (retail) dual booted on my macbook pro. But for some reason the graphics card is not working. Cant run any steam games and the windows score thing is 1 for the graphics card part. I installed the drivers on the bootcamp cd, so what might be the problem

Mar

Not much buzz around the possibility of new products tomorrow?

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/rumors-of-new-apple-hardware-tomorrow-swirling/

- Redesigned plastic MacBooks
- Redesigned "impressive" iMacs
- Mac mini updates, including one based on Mac OS X Server
- Multi-touch "Magic Mouse"
- A multi-touch "trackpad gadget" for desktop Macs

I'm most excited by the prospect of a multi-touch mouse and a multi-touch trackpad for desktops. I swear it was only last week I was telling work colleagues that I'd kill for a macbook like trackpad for desktops. I've come to completely depend on four finger expose swiping. It's just so fucking awesome.

Other than for gaming, I'd say if Apple do release a trackpad, the mouse is dead. Or at least, mortally wounded.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Guled said:
I have windows 7 (retail) dual booted on my macbook pro. But for some reason the graphics card is not working. Cant run any steam games and the windows score thing is 1 for the graphics card part. I installed the drivers on the bootcamp cd, so what might be the problem

try running the apple software updater thing. see if there are new drivers on there.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mar_ said:
Other than for gaming, I'd say if Apple do release a trackpad, the mouse is dead.
I would throw my fist through my monitor if I had to use any of the CS products on a trackpad.

Mar

scorcho said:
I would throw my fist through my monitor if I had to use any of the CS products on a trackpad.

Good point actually. I take my comment back. I forgot about the nightmare that is trackpad photoshopping.

fireside

Mar_ said:
I've come to completely depend on four finger expose swiping. It's just so fucking awesome.
Buy a mouse with a lot of buttons and then bind whatever you need to them. I've been doing it for years, can't imagine how anyone could live any other way.

RubxQub

fireside said:
Buy a mouse with a lot of buttons and then bind whatever you need to them. I've been doing it for years, can't imagine how anyone could live any other way.
First, we're talking about laptops, not desktops. Second...the Macbook trackpad is one of the biggest selling features for me.

Swipe gestures > *

fireside

RubxQub said:
First, we're talking about laptops, not desktops. Second...the Macbook trackpad is one of the biggest selling features for me.

Swipe gestures > *
He stated that he wished there was a MacBook-like trackpad for desktops so he could use four fingered Expose on his desktop. You can currently use one of your mouse's buttons for Expose if it has enough, which I do. It's very handy. I also have one that closes windows. I think the MacBook's trackpad is a nice feature for a laptop, but you don't need a "desktop trackpad" to do neat things without removing your hand from your mouse.

Mar

fireside said:
He stated that he wished there was a MacBook-like trackpad for desktops so he could use four fingered Expose on his desktop. You can currently use one of your mouse's buttons for Expose if it has enough, which I do. It's very handy. I also have one that closes windows. I think the MacBook's trackpad is a nice feature for a laptop, but you don't need a "desktop trackpad" to do neat things without removing your hand from your mouse.

Yeah, trackpad for desktop macs. And while your expose on a mouse button is sound (and I don't know why I didn't think of that myself), I still prefer the macbook trackpads for general use compared to a mouse. Browsing web pages etc.

Mar_ said:
Yeah, trackpad for desktop macs. And while your expose on a mouse button is sound (and I don't know why I didn't think of that myself), I still prefer the macbook trackpads for general use compared to a mouse. Browsing web pages etc.

Basically.

I think it's even worse when you have to use a laptop without a trackpad :(

yeah I did come in here to post this news, and I am so excited! I'll go straight to the Apple store to buy the mouse tomorrow if it is true. I was in Amsterdam over the weekend and their big Apple store said they didn't have any Mighty Mice, nor any in ear Apple earphones, so who knows!!

*Edit: New Apple remotes are due too, maybe all in one device?

fireside

Mar_ said:
Well, a lot of mice have buttons for back and forward you can use to do that on web pages. I have mine set up that way, very handy for going back/forward in folders in the Finder, as well. I don't know what else you can do with the trackpad for browsing web pages. The MacBook trackpad is very cool, and there are somethings you can do with it you can't with mouse buttons, but if you have the right mouse and bind the key combos you want to it it can be very powerful.

For example, my Logitech MX1000 has 7 buttons (9 if you count the horizontal scroll as two), I have all windows Expose bound to one, back and forward bound to two, desktop Expose bound to another, and cmd+w bound to another, along with the normal click and right click bound to the two main ones. It does almost everything the MacBook trackpad can do. After using this for 5+ years, it's very painful going to a normal computer, let alone a laptop that doesn't have the multitouch trackpad (like my MacBook, ugh so terrible).

I'm starting to sound really preachy, but I love my mouse. If the trackpad mouse is real at least it'll give more computers have the same great functionality as the multitouch trackpad so that using them won't be so painful.

Mar

Mecha_Infantry said:
yeah I did come in here to post this news, and I am so excited! I'll go straight to the Apple store to buy the mouse tomorrow if it is true. I was in Amsterdam over the weekend and their big Apple store said they didn't have any Mighty Mice, nor any in ear Apple earphones, so who knows!!

Well, as anecdotal as it is. My work put in a purchase order for a Mac Mini for me yesterday. The Apple supplier for our university came back and said there will most likely be a product refresh, and wait until tomorrow. Mind that they didn't say DON'T buy it, but they recommended waiting a few days...

So who knows.

fireside said:
I'm starting to sound really preachy, but I love my mouse.

No, I understand. I knew my claim was going to be controversial. As it turns out it was shot down in the very next post. The trackpad is pretty worthless for photo editing and that's something I use all the time.

But what if the trackpad was compatible with a pen... Hmm...

I just bought an external HDD for my iMac to store all media on it. Since there is a dedicated movies folder in the finder that is recognized in Frontrow, I was wondering if there is a way to move the folder to the external HDD or to tell Frontrow that I want to store my movies somewhere else and still be able to access them?

mrkgoo

thegodsend said:
I just bought an external HDD for my iMac to store all media on it. Since there is a dedicated movies folder in the finder that is recognized in Frontrow, I was wondering if there is a way to move the folder to the external HDD or to tell Frontrow that I want to store my movies somewhere else and still be able to access them?

You could move all your files to the external drive and create a link in place of the standard movie folder pointing to the folder on the drive. I forget the difference between hard link and symbolic link, but it's one of those. Front Row shouldn't know the difference.

Has anyone ever tried using an external dvd drive for installing an upgrade copy of windows on their macbook/macbook pro? I'm assuming that should solve the problem of not being able to eject disks right?

btkadams

hey guys i got a question.

i have been looking into getting a mouse for my macbook just for casual use. the new magic mouse has certainly caught my eye so i may get that. i then thought hey i should get a keyboard right? i see the slim apple one. is it very different than my macbook pro kb? it seems like identical. the reason i might want a different keyboard is sometimes my hands cramp up on this kb but if thats the case with the apple one then ill just stick with my mbp kb (early 2008 model btw).

btkadams said:
hey guys i got a question.

i have been looking into getting a mouse for my macbook just for casual use. the new magic mouse has certainly caught my eye so i may get that. i then thought hey i should get a keyboard right? i see the slim apple one. is it very different than my macbook pro kb? it seems like identical. the reason i might want a different keyboard is sometimes my hands cramp up on this kb but if thats the case with the apple one then ill just stick with my mbp kb (early 2008 model btw).
Read the reviews on the Apple Store. The keyboards are notoriously small.

Jasoco

Banned
fireside said:
For example, my Logitech MX1000 has 7 buttons (9 if you count the horizontal scroll as two), I have all windows Expose bound to one, back and forward bound to two, desktop Expose bound to another, and cmd+w bound to another, along with the normal click and right click bound to the two main ones. It does almost everything the MacBook trackpad can do. After using this for 5+ years, it's very painful going to a normal computer, let alone a laptop that doesn't have the multitouch trackpad (like my MacBook, ugh so terrible)
10. You forget the middle click. And yes, I do count the left and right rocking wheel as two and use them as two.

I could never replace it with anything less than 10 buttons now. Or at least 10 individual functions.

mrkgoo

Jesus, Apple:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/21/apple-stock-hits-all-time-high-on-earnings-strength/
Macrumors.com said:
Apple's stock price has hit an all-time high today, surging over 4% at the moment to top $207 per share. The peak eclipses Apple's previous high set in late December 2007. Apple's stock subsequently sank to a low of under $80 per share in late 2008 amid uncertain economic times before rebounding strongly over the past eight months.

135745-aapl_all_time_high.jpg

Apple's total market capitalization is currently approximately $186 billion, placing the company behind only Exxon Mobil, Microsoft, and Wal-Mart in market cap rankings of American companies.

Apple's stock has seen a significant bump over the past couple of days in the wake of a stellar earnings report on Monday and subsequent price target upgrades from analysts looking ahead to future performance.

I remember it being crazy $200, then hitting under $100. Even at $140 I was going it's higher but probably still worth getting into.

Recession? Pffft.

I don't understand stocks and don't pretend to

aparisi2274

So I have a question....

I know that the mac's come with Bootcamp, but what I wanted to know is which is a better program to use to run Windows? Bootcamp or Parallels?

I basically just want to try out Windows 7 Ultimate and I do not want to dig out my old PC to upgrade it, unless you mac experts think that is the better route to go....

Any info would be great...

Thanks

noah111

Still Alive
aparisi2274 said:
So I have a question....

I know that the mac's come with Bootcamp, but what I wanted to know is which is a better program to use to run Windows? Bootcamp or Parallels?

I basically just want to try out Windows 7 Ultimate and I do not want to dig out my old PC to upgrade it, unless you mac experts think that is the better route to go....

Thanks
I'm no expert of anything but from what I understand, to run Windows using bootcamp the computer needs to do a restart into a new OS, whereas Parallels or other applications similar allow you to run both OS X as well as Windows XP/Vista/7 simultaneously. If you're willing to pay the extra cash for however much it'll cost you for those programs that can run dual operating systems, then i'd definitely go with them.

aparisi2274 said:
So I have a question....

Thanks
Parallels and VMWare Fusion are virtual machines. They run in OS X just like Microsoft Virtual PC does XP Mode in Windows 7.

Boot Camp allows you to run native Windows. It is a boot loader. You start your computer, hold the Alt key, and decide if you want to start OS X or Windows.

LCfiner

start with bootcamp. it's free and you can get the full hardware speed for gaming if you need it.

THEN, if you want to use some windows programs within OS X, download the free trial of either parallels or VMware fusion and direct them to use the bootcamp partition as the virtual machine. if you use the feature a lot, then buy the one you like best.

aparisi2274

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Parallels and VMWare Fusion are virtual machines. They run in OS X just like Microsoft Virtual PC does XP Mode in Windows 7.

Boot Camp allows you to run native Windows. It is a boot loader. You start your computer, hold the Alt key, and decide if you want to start OS X or Windows.

Thanks!! I am most likely going to test out Bootcamp and see how it goes.

aparisi2274

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

So is Bootcamp pretty easy to setup? I assume that when you go to set it up for the first time, it will let you know when to insert the Windows OS DVD into the drive and all that fun stuff??

aparisi2274 said:
So is Bootcamp pretty easy to setup? I assume that when you go to set it up for the first time, it will let you know when to insert the Windows OS DVD into the drive and all that fun stuff??
Yep. It's under Applications -> Utilities -> Boot Camp Assistant, and it leads you through the rest from there.

jasonng

aparisi2274 said:
Thanks!! I am most likely going to test out Bootcamp and see how it goes.

Just to point out that you can easily do both. I have windows xp (soon 7) on my imac and have vm fusion accessed to the same partition. I go to boot camp when I want to play games on steam and if I just want to have quick access to my c++ and java projects, I open fusion. It's very convenient to have both options. I dont know if they still do it but VM fusion is 50% for students.

For help on boot camp, just press cmd + space and type in boot camp assistant.

Edit: Goddamn Liu Kang stealing all the glory.

mrkgoo

So what's the deal with AppleCare?

I've been reading that they won't honour it outside of the country you purchased the care. Or something. Yes, it's international, but only if it matches your computer's origin or something.

I have a MacBook purchased in NZ, with a US applecare associated...will it be only under protection in US or NZ or both?

Top Bottom