• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
When you installed Snow Leopard, you should have turned off all the shit you don't need. i.e. every single printer driver, foreign language localization, font, etc that takes up gigabytes of space that no one person will ever need to use.

Jasoco said:
When you installed Snow Leopard, you should have turned off all the shit you don't need. i.e. every single printer driver, foreign language localization, font, etc that takes up gigabytes of space that no one person will ever need to use.

Lil late for that then. I disconnected everything before install and closed everything out.

Jasoco

Banned
You can reinstall again. Snow Leopard's installer makes it so easy to reinstall the same OS right over itself to fix any problems without losing a single thing.

Just go ahead. As long as you run Software Update a couple times afterwards of course.

Without the drivers and fonts and shit, it'll take a half hour instead of an hour this time.

So I'm selling my macbook (getting iMac woo) and I want to format the hard drive as best as possible. Is the disc utility "Zero all data" option sufficient enough? Or should I be using another third party software?

Just want to make sure everything is good and gone.

Jasoco

Banned
If you have plenty of time, you could try the highest option which zeroes it what, 37 times or something? I would think once would be enough for a normal user though.

criesofthepast said:
So I'm selling my macbook (getting iMac woo) and I want to format the hard drive as best as possible. Is the disc utility "Zero all data" option sufficient enough? Or should I be using another third party software?

Just want to make sure everything is good and gone.

Probably the 7 time option should do it.

Ashhong

just got my macbook back from apple repair. man ive missed this thing :D

quick question though, the Genius Bar said this static noise sound near the magsafe is normal. its pretty annoying at night when im using it in bed or watching a movie. what say gaf?

pj

Banned
Ashhong said:

quick question though, the Genius Bar said this static noise sound near the magsafe is normal. its pretty annoying at night when im using it in bed or watching a movie. what say gaf?

Are you sure it's not a fan? There's one in that area. I'd be concerned if my power connection was buzzing..

Ashhong said:

Everytime I boot my computer from >3 hours of standby it buzzes really fucking loud for about 2 minutes. Apparently it is normal.

Garou

Ashhong said:

How old is the Macbook? Late 2006 model?

Ashhong

its a 13" pro. its this faint static sound that i have heard on 4 out of 4 macbooks. try putting your ear to the magsafe...dont hear anything? of course if i could only hear it when i have my ear to it i wouldnt complain.

is there a fan in that area? i thought there was only one in the middle, at least for the unibody. im fairly certain its not the fan, it sounds like something you would hear from a speaker or something. i think the speaker is in that area, its like theres interference from the magsafe coming from the speaker? muting the volume does nothing.

pj

Banned
Ashhong said:
its a 13" pro. its this faint static sound that i have heard on 4 out of 4 macbooks. try putting your ear to the magsafe...dont hear anything? of course if i could only hear it when i have my ear to it i wouldnt complain.

is there a fan in that area? i thought there was only one in the middle, at least for the unibody. im fairly certain its not the fan, it sounds like something you would hear from a speaker or something. i think the speaker is in that area, its like theres interference from the magsafe coming from the speaker? muting the volume does nothing.

Is it only when the magsafe is connected, or all the time?

Is there a Windows emulator for Mac in which I can play some old windows games (like Fallout, and the like)? I know all about Bootcamp but I don't feel like wasting so much space by partioning Windows. I just want something like a SEGA Genesis emulator but for low-end Windows games.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Flying_Phoenix said:
Is there a Windows emulator for Mac in which I can play some old windows games (like Fallout, and the like)? I know all about Bootcamp but I don't feel like wasting so much space by partioning Windows. I just want something like a SEGA Genesis emulator but for low-end Windows games.

There is a version of DOSBox for OSX, but I haven't personally tested it.

Here.

Parallax Scroll said:
How do I make it not launch both iPhoto and iTunes every time I plug in my iPhone? Usually I just want to charge it.
In iTunes select your phone. There's a "Automatically open iTunes when connected" checkbox in the main screen. For iPhoto, there's a similar checkbox somewhere in the preferences.

VNZ

Flying_Phoenix said:
So I don't need to install Windows for this?
Yeah, you install Windows on a virtual machine, which you run as an OS X app without the need of rebooting. Like this:

virtualbox-vista-inside-mac-os-x.jpg

Or even like this, with Windows' windows seamlessly integrated on the OS X desktop:

VirtualBox_OSX_beta_3.png

VNZ said:
Yeah, you install Windows on a virtual machine, which you run as an OS X app without the need of rebooting. Like this:

virtualbox-vista-inside-mac-os-x.jpg

Or even like this, with Windows' windows seamlessly integrated on the OS X desktop:

VirtualBox_OSX_beta_3.png

Oh badass.

LCfiner

hey, the new Macheist is up.

20 dollar “nanobundle”

http://www.macheist.com/

the apps:

Macjournal
Ripit
Clips
Coverscout
Flow
Tales of Monkey Island
Rapidweaver

might be worth it for me just for Tales and Ripit.

edit: holy shit. Clips is pretty badass. the demo video is impressive.

mehdi_san

LCfiner said:

20 dollar “nanobundle”

I was just gonna post that. The only interesting app for me in that pack is Tales of (the 5 episodes) for $20 instead of $35. But it's only unlocked if they sell more than 50,000 bundles! I think I'm gonna wait a few days to see how much does it sell...

Is buying refurbished from apple a good idea? Trying to save a bit of money on an iMac. Comes with standard 1 year warranty. Anyone here bought a refurb from them before?

criesofthepast said:
Is buying refurbished from apple a good idea? Trying to save a bit of money on an iMac. Comes with standard 1 year warranty. Anyone here bought a refurb from them before?

I hear good things. Plus I believe you can still get applecare on them.

The_Inquisitor said:
I hear good things. Plus I believe you can still get applecare on them.
Yup which is why refurb is tempting. With all the small issues I've had with my mac pro; apple care is a must for my next purchase. Would be nice to save some money on the iMac and use those savings for apple care.

criesofthepast said:
Yup which is why refurb is tempting. With all the small issues I've had with my mac pro; apple care is a must for my next purchase. Would be nice to save some money on the iMac and use those savings for apple care.

A lot of the time refurbs are actually just ones they pull off the line for QA. Basically they get checked to see if they turn on, ect. then sold as refurbs.

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
can you get free ipods and printers in the summer with refurbs?

nope.

I’ve bought a ton of refurb stuff from Apple (24” iMac, 24” LED display, apple TV, old iPod classic, macbook air for 1100) and it’s all been top notch stuff.

it’s like new, but in a less fancy box. highly worthwhile if you have some patience and can wait for a memory/ HDD config that suits your needs.

linkboy

criesofthepast said:

My first MBP was a refurb and I didn't have a single problem with it (other then one of the fans going out, but a lot of people had that problem).

The biggest problem I had was putting it next to an open window during a rain storm and waking up to find it soaking went.

It never did work right after that.

Let that be a lesson, don't surf the net in bed and put your laptop next to an open window during a rainstorm, they don't like it very much.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Salazar said:
Are there extremely basic and reassuring instructions anywhere for me to Bootcamp Windows 7 onto my Macbook Pro ?

If the Boot Camp Assistant is too complicated you probably shouldn't be trying, period.

Jasoco

Banned
I hate how refurbished MacBooks and Mac mini's never last long on Apple's website before they're all snatched up. Seriously. When you see a Mac mini, it disappears so fast. And the funny thing is they always seem to get a bunch of models at once, and all disappear at the same time.

So food for thought, if you need one, don't leave the store page! Buy it right then and there or it'll be weeks before it comes back! :lol

Does the Apple Store (Online) take debit cards that can be used as credit cards? i.e. my Visa debit card?

Chris R

Jasoco said:
I hate how refurbished MacBooks and Mac mini's never last long on Apple's website before they're all snatched up. Seriously. When you see a Mac mini, it disappears so fast. And the funny thing is they always seem to get a bunch of models at once, and all disappear at the same time.

So food for thought, if you need one, don't leave the store page! Buy it right then and there or it'll be weeks before it comes back! :lol

Does the Apple Store (Online) take debit cards that can be used as credit cards? i.e. my Visa debit card?
I purchased my Mac Mini with my Visa debit card.

LCfiner said:

20 dollar “nanobundle”

the apps:

Macjournal
Ripit
Clips
Coverscout
Flow
Tales of Monkey Island
Rapidweaver

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I'm getting it for Rapidweaver.

mrkgoo

34i62bp.png

Ooooo Yeah.

I still get a few lags, so that has got to do with my HD and my CPU. Oh well. I'll live with it for now.

My MacBook Pro is a non-unibody 2.4GHz, now sporting 6GB RAM, and 640GB HD space - should do me until...well the next MBP in a couple weeks.

Salazar

Posted this in the Tech Help thread, but it probably belongs here. I do need help.

I have a new Macbook Pro (Mac OS X 10.6), and I've installed iWork 08 on it - for word processing in Pages. Installation worked fine, and I've opened a blank WP document in Pages, but I can only type in white. That is to say, the text is invisible unless highlighted. I can't seem to change this.

Is there anything that springs to mind ?

Mr.City

Man, I love my Macbook. I've had it for a few months, and I like how everything just...works. I kinda of wishing I got the Pro because, well, I really like how the model looks.

mrkgoo said:
My MacBook Pro is a non-unibody 2.4GHz, now sporting 6GB RAM, and 640GB HD space - should do me until...well the next MBP in a couple weeks.

I'm starting to wonder when the new MBP will launch now. By all measures, it should've as the cycle has gone for far longer than usual. But I don't know if Apple wants to clear the path for the iPad as much as possible.

Picked up MacHeist nanoBundle this morning. Initial impressions (on the apps I've used at least).

MacJournal - Haven't tried it yet. It looks neat, but I seriously doubt anything will ever get me to switch away from WriteRoom (which I also got -- for free -- from MacHeist) for writing.

RipIt - I don't rip DVDs so I doubt I'll ever use this.

Clips - This shit is fucking rad. It's a clipboard manager, but it takes a lot of design inspiration from Quicksilver. You can shoo it on and off screen with a simple keystroke and it stores a ton of shit. Really cool.

CoverScout - This would be totally awesome if I didn't have art for 99.9% of my iTunes library already (I manually added it all myself years ago back when the first iPod to show cover art was released. Now I just add it as necessary, which doesn't really require an app like this). Also, like the other equinox software app released via MacHeist (iSale), this thing is a fucking system hog. Maybe it's just because it was indexing my ENTIRE iTunes library, but this thing took up every CPU cycle it could and spun my MacBook's fans hard. This might stop once it is done the initial index of my library, but given iSale's track record of being super fucking slow, I somehow doubt it. iSale is super useful though. Love that app. (GarageSale is probably better, but I already have iSale and I'm not paying for TWO eBay apps considering I list maybe a dozen items a year on eBay).

Flow - This is an FTP app. It is fucking cool. The fact that I can say that about an FTP app should tell you something about it. It takes a giant diarrhea shit right in Cyberduck's Cheerio's. It also shits a medium sized turd in Transmit's and YummyFTP's Cheerio's.

I'll post comments on Monkey Island and RapidWeaver when they drop. I'm certain they will. When has a MacHeist bundle NOT hit the sales thresholds? And this one is only $20. They're usually $40.

Apparently you can save an extra $2 if you are a frequent MacHeister. I bought MacHeist III and kept up with all the releases between that and this one, and I didn't get it. I guess you need to be more old school than that.

Side note: The teaser site was done entirely in HTML. And it looked fucking amazing. Flash is dead. Long live the new king of web animation, HTML5 Canvas.

I hope this means we'll get more, smaller bundle deals throughout the year. The one big bundle was cool but this is a better option in my opinion.

Top Bottom