• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

NJ Shlice

Lets say I want to find out how big a group of files are. In Windows I just select all of them then Right Click > Properties and it tells me how many files are selected and how big they all add up to.

How do I do this on Mac?

When I select them all then Right click > Get Info it opens up a Get Info window for each one arghh.

NJ Shlice said:
Lets say I want to find out how big a group of files are. In Windows I just select all of them then Right Click > Properties and it tells me how many files are selected and how big they all add up to.

How do I do this on Mac?

When I select them all then Right click > Get Info it opens up a Get Info window for each one arghh.
I think its to hold shift or ctrl at the same time. Experiment with different key combos

Edit* thanks for the previous tip

NJ Shlice said:

How do I do this on Mac?

command control I.

sorta beaten but just for confirmation.

mrkgoo

NJ Shlice said:
But I don't want the folder to open, I just want to drop a file on top of the folder icon so it can place the file in the folder
I realise this. I think my point was that I never have the issue of mis dragging, and that it's probably due to having spring loaded folders so fast, I know that I'm not hovering over a folder because it's not opening.

I also exclusively use column view.

I'm so engrained with click and dragging that I find I use it in windows more than I should too.

mrkgoo said:
I realise this. I think my point was that I never have the issue of mis dragging, and that it's probably due to having spring loaded folders so fast, I know that I'm not hovering over a folder because it's not opening.

I also exclusively use column view.

I'm so engrained with click and dragging that I find I use it in windows more than I should too.
:lol Same, also things like dragging to the trash is like the only way I delete files now from force of habit. I'm so used to my mac I forget about delete when I'm on windows.

My family just got an iMac yesterday, and I'm going to install some programs that only I'm going to be using (Transmission, etc.) Is there a way to install them on only my login and not the rest of my family's accounts?

Bioshocked said:
My family just got an iMac yesterday, and I'm going to install some programs that only I'm going to be using (Transmission, etc.) Is there a way to install them on only my login and not the rest of my family's accounts?
Yeah, instead of dragging them to the standard applications folder, put them in the UserName-->Applications folder. Then they'll only be installed for you.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Bioshocked said:
Copy them to your application folder (/Users/******/Apllications) instead of the system wide application folder (/Applications)?

thewesker said:
Yeah, instead of dragging them to the standard applications folder, put them in the UserName-->Applications folder. Then they'll only be installed for you.
Where's the UserName folder? :x

Ulairi

Banned
I'm thinking about buying a new Macbook Pro before I head to grad school this fall. I have used macs before (in the apple store) and whenever I open an application it never wants to open to the full screen, it always opens windowed. Is there an easy way to make the application move to full screen other than just dragging the corner until the screen fills.

mrkgoo

Bioshocked said:
The Mac os x folder hierarchy is very simple.

The's the root directory - basically the highest 'directory'.

In this, there are 4 directories by default:

System- holds the actual Mac OSX files
Library- holds Mac OSX support files such as preferences, cache, etc.
Applications- by default, application files are put here.
User- every users' files. In here are folders named after each user, hence the 'username' folder. The entirety of a users files are stored inside their own folder. If you make a folder for applications inside your own user folder, then no one will see those applications except you.

mrkgoo

Ulairi said:
I'm thinking about buying a new Macbook Pro before I head to grad school this fall. I have used macs before (in the apple store) and whenever I open an application it never wants to open to the full screen, it always opens windowed. Is there an easy way to make the application move to full screen other than just dragging the corner until the screen fills.

The way a Mac 'maximises' is a thorn in the side of most switchers. I wouldn't say it's worse, just different. The green button is a 'smart resize' (not necessarily that smart) that will try to find the optimum size for that window - often that means close to full screen, but depends on the app. An app should remember the last size it used.

Basically, clicking the green button should give you a full screen, if not, then drag. It should get remembered.

That said, Mac os x is generally best used when windows aren't maximized, in my opinion. Also the windows management features of os x are pretty good.

Ulairi

Banned
Another OSX question:

I really take advantage of Windows Snap with Windows 7 to have to windows open without having one fall to the other. I know OSX has expose but it just brings windows to the front, can I actually "pin" to windows IE Windows snap?

Ulairi said:
Another OSX question:

I really take advantage of Windows Snap with Windows 7 to have to windows open without having one fall to the other. I know OSX has expose but it just brings windows to the front, can I actually "pin" to windows IE Windows snap?
BetterTouchTool does that.

would just like to say that Growl and Quicksilver are awesomesauce.

Ulairi: as the other guy said, install BetterTouchTool. upon installation, it'll ask you if you want to enable snapping. works perfectly.

hey guys, is there a way to add installed applications from multiple locations into the same springing Applications menu? I'm wondering because I have some applications installed in my User profile's applications section as well as the universal applications folder and it's kind of annoying to have to look in more than 1 place for an application.

halp.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Dreams-Visions said:
would just like to say that Growl and Quicksilver are awesomesauce.

Ulairi: as the other guy said, install BetterTouchTool. upon installation, it'll ask you if you want to enable snapping. works perfectly.

I wish Quicksilver got properly updated. A lot of functionality doesn't work since SL. Proxy items/current selection for sure. :\

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
hey guys, is there a way to add installed applications from multiple locations into the same springing Applications menu? I'm wondering because I have some applications installed in my User profile's applications section as well as the universal applications folder and it's kind of annoying to have to look in more than 1 place for an application.

halp.

You could always just add any folder to your dock. If you want to keep it clean, you can add short cuts from the Application folder to your apps, or shortcuts to your application folder.

SnakeXs said:
I wish Quicksilver got properly updated. A lot of functionality doesn't work since SL. Proxy items/current selection for sure. :\

Nothing wrong with QS, but this is kind of why I like to use stock Apple stuff where I can - generally I don't have to worry about updating and things breaking. Generally. (Apple still messes a few things up from time to time with updates). I'm not saying that Apple does it better or anything, but just keeping things default unless absolutely necessary is a quirk of mine.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
word. thanks!
If you have a shortcut, you may aswell just add the app to your application folder. I'm not sure if a shortcut from the app folder would actually run if someone from another account tried it.

And yes, I use Safari.

MCX

Banned
AlexMogil said:
Do y'all use Safari as your primary browser?
Firefox. I can't live without the extensions Adblock Plus and Adblock Plus Elements.
No, I don't block ads on GAF.

Bioshocked said:
20100603-cemrq77nkisy77im45yqy4bd31.png

mrkgoo said:
If you have a shortcut, you may aswell just add the app to your application folder. I'm not sure if a shortcut from the app folder would actually run if someone from another account tried it.

And yes, I use Safari.
word. I just find it odd that OSX allows you to install apps to the username-->apps folder, but afterwards, does not provide an easy way to get to said app. you could open finder and get to it, sure, but that's hella obtuse, isn't it? why wouldn't all installed apps for which you have permission to see automatically be added to what you can see in your "Applications" jump folder thing? that's how it works in Windows. all apps only available to you AND apps available to all users combine to fill in the same "All Programs" list.

idk.

jts

...hate me...
Dreams-Visions said:
word. I just find it odd that OSX allows you to install apps to the username-->apps folder, but afterwards, does not provide an easy way to get to said app. you could open finder and get to it, sure, but that's hella obtuse, isn't it? why wouldn't all installed apps for which you have permission to see automatically be added to what you can see in your "Applications" jump folder thing? that's how it works in Windows. all apps only available to you AND apps available to all users combine to fill in the same "All Programs" list.

idk.
The default folders on the dock are regular folders, shortcuts to real locations on the file structure.

If you want an "All programs" folder, you just need to create a smart folder, select "This Mac" and "contents" on the search field, and then just add the criteria "kind" is "application". Save it as "All Apps" or something, drag it to the dock.

...too bad it won't behave like a regular folder though, it always launches finder.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:

idk.

The applications 'jump' thing is no more than a short cut to the Applications folder. It's not a separate 'All Programs' of your apps you can run or anything.

Applications are complete packages. They are single files. You put them wherever you want as you would put documents wherever you want, and you manage them however you want.

If you really want an "All Apps" folder, you can create a smart folder (like the "All documents" or "All images" smart folders in your Finder sidebar), and have the search criteria be "file type = apps", and drag that to your dock in place of the Applications folder. (edit: not actually sure if you can add it to your dock).

I would go as far and say that most mac users don't even use the dock Applications folder, seeing as it was a new feature in Leopard.

I launch most apps from Spotlight.

As a new Mac user, I know a lot of things are different. Just don't get hung up on "How Windows did it", because most of the time it's not that was any more intuitive than how a Mac does anything (and vice versa) - it's just what you're used to.

Personally, I find it very natural to have a central location for all apps.

Edit: beaten.

jts said:
The default folders on the dock are regular folders, shortcuts to real locations on the file structure.

If you want an "All programs" folder, you just need to create a smart folder, select "This Mac" and "contents" on the search field, and then just add the criteria "kind" is "application". Save it as "All Apps" or something, drag it to the dock.

...too bad it won't behave like a regular folder though, it always launches finder.

You could also just drag the "All Programs" folder to the dock. I did that with the Application folder it is was very convenient.

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
You could also just drag the "All Programs" folder to the dock. I did that with the Application folder it is was very convenient.
I think he already has that. He wants it to aggregate all the apps he has that include those that aren't in that folder.

So shipped my Mac out today.

*sigh*

:(

mrkgoo said:
I think he already has that. He wants it to aggregate all the apps he has that include those that aren't in that folder.

Please explain further?

What do you mean apps that aren't in the applications folder?

jts said:

I was all excited. and then that last sentence. sigh.

I'll just make sure I install everything into the universal folder. not like anyone else is using my Mac...it was just surprising is all.

Flying_Phoenix said:
What do you mean apps that aren't in the applications folder?
yes. I've run across a couple of random apps that want to install in Username-->applications. I was hoping there was an easy way to combine the results from the 2 folder locations and retain the springing app folder animation. guess not.

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
yes. I've run across a couple of random apps that want to install in Username-->applications. I was hoping there was an easy way to combine the results from the 2 folder locations and retain the springing app folder animation. guess not.
Well, I've come across that shit before, and all you have to do is move everything from inside the username/Applications folder to the main one and it'll still work fine. Applications on OS X aren't as picky about being moved as Windows ones are. So feel free to move them anywhere. Unless you NEED them in the user apps folder. Smart folders would do what you want, but as someone said, Apple wasn't smart enough to make them act like folders when in the Dock. Shame.

Jasoco said:
Well, I've come across that shit before, and all you have to do is move everything from inside the username/Applications folder to the main one and it'll still work fine. Applications on OS X aren't as picky about being moved as Windows ones are. So feel free to move them anywhere. Unless you NEED them in the user apps folder. Smart folders would do what you want, but as someone said, Apple wasn't smart enough to make them act like folders when in the Dock. Shame.
lol, yep that's what I've been doing. it works fine. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I couldn't do to just make it work. No biggie at all.

Oh, and for those who might have wanted to try this random shit: if you format a partition as NTFS, Spotlight can't index it. even if you install something that will allow OSX to read and write to NTFS, it just won't work or will be very inconsistent. I've read about some fixes, but don't trust them.

Background: I had originally partitioned a large portion of my drive for media and formatted to NTFS so that my bootcamp Win7 install could see it and OSX could use it too. but as I found out, Bootcamp installs drivers that allow the Win7 install to see and write to the HFS+ partitions. so I didn't really need to format NTFS in the first place. OSX could read and write to NTFS just fine, but because I wanted Spotlight to work for my media, I went ahead and reformatted that drive to HFS+ and re-added my media.

mollipen

I've been using Mac OS for like 20+ years now, and god as my witness, I never knew Mac OS X had an Applications folder in the user's home folder. I've never, ever had any reason to use it, and was sure there was no such thing until I went to check just now.

thewesker said:
Since like 3.0 or 3.1. It's been a little while.
actually, it can't. I thought I could because I could see them and read from them. can't write. sigh. but this is fine too, I'm only booting into Win7 to game and I can play my music collection from the HFS+ partition just fine. everything works.

but I hope a writing option becomes available either through bootcamp or 3rd party. just for sake of convenience.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
actually, it can't. I thought I could because I could see them and read from them. can't write. sigh. but this is fine too, I'm only booting into Win7 to game and I can play my music collection from the HFS+ partition just fine. everything works.

but I hope a writing option becomes available either through bootcamp or 3rd party. just for sake of convenience.
There is already a third party program that let's you do that

I think it's mac drive.

scola said:
There is already a third party program that let's you do that

I think it's mac drive.
oh snap. about to try it now. will report back.

Edit: sure enough. MacDrive 8 will allow you to write to HFS partitions.

thanks a ton for the tip, scola.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
oh snap. about to try it now. will report back.
Yeah I haven't used it in about three years. It was fairly spartan, but functional.

FWIW i only used it on my pc that accessed an HFS external. I personally wouldn't install this on bootcamp for fear of giving some shitty windows malware write permission to my Mac. .

Edit: no problem :)

scola said:
Yeah I haven't used it in about three years. It was fairly spartan, but functional.

FWIW i only used it on my pc that accessed an HFS external. I personally wouldn't install this on bootcamp for fear of giving some shitty windows malware write permission to my Mac. .
yea, it totally worked. :D

definitely recommend it to the other OSX n00bs!

I have my optibay running my boot drive, factory 500GB HDD is serving as my media drive. I see that when I right-click on my media drive, the option to "eject" is there. I didn't expect to see that because the eject button does not appear like it does for external drives.

Will ejecting in this manner spin down the HDD?

If so, how would I turn them back on after they disappear?

thanks.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
www.apple.com/html5

Heehee.

On the one hand, this shit is awesome and everyone should see it.

On the other, I'm surely not gonna make a thread about it. It's not worth it.

But yeah, awesome stuff.

Top Bottom