• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

what the fuck.

content

safe to say Mail shouldn't be using that much RAM.

pj

Banned
@Mecha_Infantry

Those numbers seem weird. My launchd is using 1.2MB of ram. Your mds and mdworker are also using way too much unless they are still indexing your drive. No idea whats up with mail, I have 2000 messages in my inbox and it's only using 50MB of ram.

pj said:
@Mecha_Infantry

Those numbers seem weird. My launchd is using 1.2MB of ram. Your mds and mdworker are also using way too much unless they are still indexing your drive. No idea whats up with mail, I have 2000 messages in my inbox and it's only using 50MB of ram.

I'm scared :(...Am I viruseded?

@Masculineyes, I know the numbers are nuts. I have no unread messages in my 3 accounts too :|, and and I am sure I am only storing them on the gmail server, not locally

jts

...hate me...
Mecha_Infantry said:
I'm scared :(...Am I viruseded?

@Masculineyes, I know the numbers are nuts. I have no unread messages in my 3 accounts too :|, and and I am sure I am only storing them on the gmail server, not locally
That top bar application, is it a third party app? Have you double checked those values on activity monitor?

LCfiner

mescalineeyes said:
what the fuck.

content

safe to say Mail shouldn't be using that much RAM.

My mail app was using 350 MB before I closed it. when I reopened it, it starts off with 55 MB.

Oh, I also have 8GB in my iMac, so apps just gobble up whatever is available.

I just saw the post on the last page. yeah, 605 MB seems like a lot...

jts said:
That top bar application, is it a third party app? Have you double checked those values on activity monitor?

Yeah it's a 3rd party app, I just checked the activity monitor and it's the same. The guys over @macrumours said to do a restart, as I've been up for about a month now or a few weeks or so

brb

MCX

Banned
I use iStat Menus too, Mecha. Is it a resource hog? I always seem to be approaching my RAM limit and I never do CPU/RAM intensive work, mainly browsing and watching movies with the occasional iChat thrown in. 2GB is just not enough, sadly.

mrkgoo

I'm using mail since 2005 with two pop accounts, and two imap accounts (including gmail). I have over 10,000 email in one account (not organised), and I leave my mail app open all the time. It's currently at 75 MB RAM.

mrkgoo

MCX said:
I use iStat Menus too, Mecha. Is it a resource hog? I always seem to be approaching my RAM limit and I never do CPU/RAM intensive work, mainly browsing and watching movies with the occasional iChat thrown in. 2GB is just not enough, sadly.

That's not a problem in and of itself. Mac OSX has pretty good memory management in my opinion. If it is efficient in swapping stuff around, the actual usage of memory doesn't mean much - in which case, I'd prefer that my RAM actually be used instead of being unused.

Also, I use iStat Pro, the widget, for monitoring my system. I can't stand having a lot of unnecessary icons in my menu bar. I love the dashboard.

Burai

shitonmychest57
MCX said:

According to my system monitor iStat uses 4.9MB of RAM.

btkadams

omg! safari 5 out with dev support for making extensions! thats the one thing i wanted in safari. so dope! i can't wait for some cool firefox/chrome-like extensions. yesssss

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hey fellas, what's a decent disc burning tool/program? The standard software with the OS only allows me to make data CDs. My car can read MP3 CDs, but many still don't.

AlphaSnake said:
Hey fellas, what's a decent disc burning tool/program? The standard software with the OS only allows me to make data CDs. My car can read MP3 CDs, but many still don't.
iTunes lets you burn MP3 CDs. I'm very confused about what you're asking here though.

mrkgoo

thewesker said:
I know, which is why I'm incredibly confused about what he's asking.

I was just adding that it can burn non-mp3 CDs. I'm not confused - he probably just didn't know you could do that.

Flek

Banned
Hey guys can anyone help me out? I have a second user account configured on my mac but i dont want this account to use the printer which is conected to the mac. So is there a way to disable printing for a account????

hirokazu

Anyone know if/how you can sync Firefox history with Safari? Or just go from Firefox to Safari, really.

I use Firefox, but I like that Safari history shows up in Spotlight and I'd like to convert Firefox history semi-regularly so I can do that, LOL.

Futureman

GOT MY MACBOOK PRO WOOOOOOOOOOO.

So I have an iMac right now. How exactly do I go about the transfer from my old to new Mac? Do you just connect the two with either Firewire or USB? Can't remember if I have a firewire cable lying around....

Also, when you transfer from the old to new... is there a way to select what gets transferred? I have some old programs on my current Mac that I don't really even want on my new MBP, should I just delete them first on my old Mac?

LCfiner

Futureman said:
GOT MY MACBOOK PRO WOOOOOOOOOOO.

So I have an iMac right now. How exactly do I go about the transfer from my old to new Mac? Do you just connect the two with either Firewire or USB? Can't remember if I have a firewire cable lying around....

Also, when you transfer from the old to new... is there a way to select what gets transferred? I have some old programs on my current Mac that I don't really even want on my new MBP, should I just delete them first on my old Mac?

when you start up the new Mac, you have the option to run migration assistant during the first run startup. you can hook up to the old mac via USB or FW (or use a timecapsule backup). you can choose to restore the whole machine or just a user account. you can't pick individual apps within a folder, but you can pick certain folders to not sync.

mescalineeyes said:
the superdrive is broken :(
Can't read, can't burn. Spits disks back into my stomach. Literally.

You don't have any other usb drive laying around do you? I was wondered when I got my eeepc a year ago but someone reminded me I could just use my hd-dvd drive from my xbox. Is there anyone you know with something like that? Can you do a usb install for 7 or does it not boot usb drives when doing bootcamp? It's been a while so I don't remember.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I am loving Safari 5. Searchable history, something I abuse, is leagues faster now. Reminds me of Spotlight going from Tiger to Leopard. Generally snappier all around, and with some personal training the new smarter address bar autofill should work out just swell.

I wonder if the new Top Sites/Coverflow buttons and scrollbars are a taste of things to come.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You don't have any other usb drive laying around do you? I was wondered when I got my eeepc a year ago but someone reminded me I could just use my hd-dvd drive from my xbox. Is there anyone you know with something like that? Can you do a usb install for 7 or does it not boot usb drives when doing bootcamp? It's been a while so I don't remember.

if it was that easy... unfortunately, no :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
thewesker said:
iTunes lets you burn MP3 CDs. I'm very confused about what you're asking here though.

Really? For some reason I didn't notice. I've highlighted and right-clicked on the MP3s and saw no option to burn. Guess I should've looked around haha. I was also under the impression you could only burn purchased MP3s as opposed to stuff you ripped from your own collection or you know
downloaded

Futureman

AlphaSnake said:
Really? For some reason I didn't notice. I've highlighted and right-clicked on the MP3s and saw no option to burn. Guess I should've looked around haha. I was also under the impression you could only burn purchased MP3s as opposed to stuff you ripped from your own collection or you know
downloaded

Maybe you already figured it out, but I'm pretty sure all you have to do is make a playlist of the songs you want to burn, insert a CD, and there should be a "Burn" option that becomes available when viewing the playlist in iTunes.

mrkgoo

AlphaSnake said:
downloaded

There's been a long history of CD burning for iTunes. You used to be only allowed to burn a playlist like 7 times or something. And iTunes was smart enough that if you deleted the playlist and tried to recreate it.

Also, if you were really hokey about your music quality, people used to burn DRMed songs as an audio CD, and then rerip it (yeah, crazy) to get a file that had no DRM (but had loss of quality from being lossy and re-ripped).

mrkgoo

SnakeXs said:
I am loving Safari 5. Searchable history, something I abuse, is leagues faster now. Reminds me of Spotlight going from Tiger to Leopard. Generally snappier all around, and with some personal training the new smarter address bar autofill should work out just swell.

I wonder if the new Top Sites/Coverflow buttons and scrollbars are a taste of things to come.
I'm liking it too. There's a nice view in the topsites page for viewing your histry too. I don't use topsites much so wish you coul make history the default vew for this.

Dreams-Visions said:
i don't think that's out of the ordinary. meanwhile...

screenshot20100608at541.png

...I think 6GB of ram just may not be enough after all. lol

He was quoting my RAM usage for mail.app being so high on the previous, and on another note today

4Pmi

Luckily nothing is running too bad at the moment, it's not beachballing right now, but it is very weird that it's so high in usage. I'll try and stream line it as much as possible tomorrow and see how it goes

Futureman

How do you activate Spaces on a MBP using a Magic Mouse?

I assume I can't use an F-key because they all have separate functions like screen brigthness, dashboard, etc.

I'm not setting it to the right mouse button and Magic Mouse doesn't have a middle mouse button.

Futureman

I want to erase the HD on my old iMac to sell it.

Any program I should use? I have the Snow Leopard install DVD, do you just use that?

mrkgoo

Futureman said:

I assume I can't use an F-key because they all have separate functions like screen brigthness, dashboard, etc.

I'm not setting it to the right mouse button and Magic Mouse doesn't have a middle mouse button.
This is why I don't like the magic mouse.

You can access fn -keys by pressing fn an te appropriate f-key. What did you think the fn button was for? :lol

also use ctrl-arrow keys to manoevre around spaces.

Burger

Futureman said:
I want to erase the HD on my old iMac to sell it.

Any program I should use? I have the Snow Leopard install DVD, do you just use that?

You can if you like. Boot into the DVD, then when the first dialog pops up click Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, top left.

You can then Erase from there. Click 'Security Options' for various ways to make sure nobody can ever get your data from that drive, if you are paranoid.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
is there a reason to have Mail in the background constantly? i purchased Notify to keep a constant check of my various emails and it works fantastically, even to the point of allowing me to preview, delete, file the email without using the client.

http://vibealicious.com/apps/notify/

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Futureman said:

Hot corners?

20100609-mtswa3eybbcmnbge6ss2mngs9c.jpg

As for the F-key controlling dashboard and other stuff, it should work if you hold the Fn key. If you want you can switch the setting in the Keyboard preferences.

20100609-1jg9fgqg3eq4u6q21xxx623g63.jpg

Futureman

I've created two new color profiles on my MBP. The default profile could use a little bit of contrast... looks a bit washed out.

Both of the profiles I made have a weird color cast, but I feel I'm doing the steps correctly. Are there profiles you can download?

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
I've created two new color profiles on my MBP. The default profile could use a little bit of contrast... looks a bit washed out.

Both of the profiles I made have a weird color cast, but I feel I'm doing the steps correctly. Are there profiles you can download?

I use a hardware profiler.

You'll find that messing about with profiles can be a huge pain. I suggest just stick with the default. Something you think is a colourcast can just be that you're used to a certain cast from a display. If you wait on nearly any colour for about 10 minutes, you won't notice, because your brain compensates in vision.

luoapp

mrkgoo said:
I use a hardware profiler.

You'll find that messing about with profiles can be a huge pain. I suggest just stick with the default. Something you think is a colourcast can just be that you're used to a certain cast from a display. If you wait on nearly any colour for about 10 minutes, you won't notice, because your brain compensates in vision.

I have two screens attached to one mac pro. Both use their own hardware profile. The color is still shown differently. Any idea?

I've got a really odd problem.

I have a Macbook Pro 2,2 and while it reads optical media perfectly, it won't burn. Anything. CD or DVD. +R -R -RW. Any brand. Any speed. Any programme.

The computer itself says along the lines of "burn failed. brand of media may not be compatible or try at a slower speed."

Any idea what it is before I take it in to be repaired? I no longer have apple care on it, unfortunately.

mrkgoo

luoapp said:
I have two screens attached to one mac pro. Both use their own hardware profile. The color is still shown differently. Any idea?

Not really, sorry. When you say hardware profiles, do you mean profiles that the hardware has or profiles you;ve made for mac os x (ie software) from a hardware device?

I've heard it's much more complicated when dealing with multiple monitors, as many graphics cards don't hold dual look-up tables for dual monitors.

Dragona Akehi said:
I've got a really odd problem.

I have a Macbook Pro 2,2 and while it reads optical media perfectly, it won't burn. Anything. CD or DVD. +R -R -RW. Any brand. Any speed. Any programme.

The computer itself says along the lines of "burn failed. brand of media may not be compatible or try at a slower speed."

Any idea what it is before I take it in to be repaired? I no longer have apple care on it, unfortunately.

I used to get a "insufficient power to burn" type warning on certain media. I had to get it replaced.

Top Bottom