• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

Dragona Akehi said:
It's super weird that it is able to read/rip media just fine. It's only with burning...
I don't find it that strange - maybe the laser requires much less power to read than it does to burn.

Ulairi

Banned
In Keynote is it possible to print out a group of slides with 3 per page including to the right the lines for notes? This is possible with powerpoint but I am not able to find out how to print multiple slides per page in Keynote.

thanks!

Dragona Akehi said:
I've got a really odd problem.

I have a Macbook Pro 2,2 and while it reads optical media perfectly, it won't burn. Anything. CD or DVD. +R -R -RW. Any brand. Any speed. Any programme.

The computer itself says along the lines of "burn failed. brand of media may not be compatible or try at a slower speed."

Any idea what it is before I take it in to be repaired? I no longer have apple care on it, unfortunately.

look around on the internet, there is a fix involved fucking around with your language settings. I am kinda short pressed right now so I can't help you find it but good luck anyway.

Dragona Akehi said:
I've got a really odd problem.

I have a Macbook Pro 2,2 and while it reads optical media perfectly, it won't burn. Anything. CD or DVD. +R -R -RW. Any brand. Any speed. Any programme.

The computer itself says along the lines of "burn failed. brand of media may not be compatible or try at a slower speed."

Any idea what it is before I take it in to be repaired? I no longer have apple care on it, unfortunately.
The old Macbook Pros have these really flakey disc drives. The problem is only with a certain manufacturer of the drive, and the issue persisted for several hardware generations. My friend ran into the same problem last semester. I would check the manufacturer of the disc drive and then google the problem.

btkadams

i have the same problem with my disc drive on my early 2008 model mbp. it hasn't burned cds or anything for at least 6 months. i've tried disc cleaners and nothing. Dragona if you find an answer, please let me know and I would be forever grateful :)

luoapp

btkadams said:
i have the same problem with my disc drive on my early 2008 model mbp. it hasn't burned cds or anything for at least 6 months. i've tried disc cleaners and nothing. Dragona if you find an answer, please let me know and I would be forever grateful :)

Have you guys tried to burn at the lowest speed? That usually gives you the best chance.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I have the same MBP and have had the same issue for over a year now. It's gotten to the point where the drive won't read any burned CD's/DVD's and it's even picky sometimes when I insert a pressed CD/DVD.

pj

Banned
The drives are just shitty, it probably needs to be replaced. The drive on my 2008 Unibody crapped out early this year even though I've probably used it 6 times total. The piece of shit wouldn't recognize my BRAND NEW snow leopard disc.

Although I would try what mescalineeyes suggested first, just in case.

Maybe someone can help me out here. I accidentally mucked with my Downloads folder on the dock. I drug it back on there but it doesn't appear to sort the Fan correctly. Can anyone tell me what the stock "Sort By" is for the Downloads folder on the dock?

thewesker said:
Maybe someone can help me out here. I accidentally mucked with my Downloads folder on the dock. I drug it back on there but it doesn't appear to sort the Fan correctly. Can anyone tell me what the stock "Sort By" is for the Downloads folder on the dock?

Date added

yo, Dragona, here's the fix I was talking about earlier. It's not confirmed to work 100% percent but before you go spend the big bucks you might as well give it a try, innit.

- Open System Preferences.
- Click on "International"
- Under "Languages": Drag any of the other languages to the top, then drag English back to the top.
- Set "Order for sorted lists" to English
- Set "Word Break" to English (United States, computer)
- Close System Preferences
- Restart computer

mrkgoo

mescalineeyes said:
Date added

yo, Dragona, here's the fix I was talking about earlier. It's not confirmed to work 100% percent but before you go spend the big bucks you might as well give it a try, innit.

- Under "Languages": Drag any of the other languages to the top, then drag English back to the top.
- Restart computer
Yeah, I've heard that can help in some instances.

Mine just needed to be replaced.

Futureman

Hey.

So I did a data migration from my Time Machine backup to my new MBP.

After everything was transferred, I initiated a 7-pass HD erase on my old iMac.

TOO SOON THOUGH.

I forgot to deactivate my iTunes account on the iMac, and now when I try to sync my Touch on my new MBP, it won't let me as it says I am already over the 5 computer limit.

I have an Genius Bar thing at 6:30, what can I expect? You think it will be quick and painless to get things running?

MCX

Banned
thewesker said:
√ Date Added

√ Stack

√ Fan

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
Hey.

So I did a data migration from my Time Machine backup to my new MBP.

After everything was transferred, I initiated a 7-pass HD erase on my old iMac.

TOO SOON THOUGH.

I forgot to deactivate my iTunes account on the iMac, and now when I try to sync my Touch on my new MBP, it won't let me as it says I am already over the 5 computer limit.

I have an Genius Bar thing at 6:30, what can I expect? You think it will be quick and painless to get things running?

You can reset your authorisations once you hit your limit.

Go to the iTunes store and log in. There will be a button to reset all authorisations to your account.

Then you just have to reauthorise that computer (devices don't count towards the limit), and any other computers.

Futureman

mrkgoo said:
You can reset your authorisations once you hit your limit.

Go to the iTunes store and log in. There will be a button to reset all authorisations to your account.

Then you just have to reauthorise that computer (devices don't count towards the limit), and any other computers.

I just did this, and iTunes seemingly randomly deleted 12 MP3s.

After I deactivated and synced my Touch, I got an error message that 12 files couldn't be found. One of them was a song I bought on the iTunes store, but the other 11 were ripped from CDs. What the hell?

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
I just did this, and iTunes seemingly randomly deleted 12 MP3s.

After I deactivated and synced my Touch, I got an error message that 12 files couldn't be found. One of them was a song I bought on the iTunes store, but the other 11 were ripped from CDs. What the hell?

That's not normal.

What should've happened is that your computer simply stops playing DRMed music until you reauthorise it.

Are you sure those files were on your computer before you deauthorised? Check your Time Machine Back up for them.

At any rate, you weren't supposed to deactivate and then sync. You should deactivate all your computers, then reactivate the one you're syncing with, THEN sync.

Here's the deal:

You have an iTunes account, and you can have up to 5 computers that are authorised to play content from that account. iDevices are not computers, so do not count towards that limit. Your iPod touch is simply a device synced to your computer - it just picks up authorisation from any account that that computer is authorised to play.

If you deactivate all your computers, and then sync, you are syncing with a deactivated computer, so possibly it has lost authorisation for those songs (or those songs were never actually on your computer to begin with, but were synced somewhere else).

I'm pretty sure the songs have not been randomly deleted. Again, check your time machine backup to be sure.

MCX

Banned
Hey guys, I'm selling my Windows PC and sticking with Mac as my only computer. I have ~30GB of music organized in iTunes on it and want to back it up to an external and then transfer it over to my Macbook. Is there a way to properly do this so that iTunes retains my organization and album covers, etc. on the new computer? Thanks.

Futureman

mrkgoo said:
That's not normal.

What should've happened is that your computer simply stops playing DRMed music until you reauthorise it.

Are you sure those files were on your computer before you deauthorised? Check your Time Machine Back up for them.

At any rate, you weren't supposed to deactivate and then sync. You should deactivate all your computers, then reactivate the one you're syncing with, THEN sync.

Here's the deal:

You have an iTunes account, and you can have up to 5 computers that are authorised to play content from that account. iDevices are not computers, so do not count towards that limit. Your iPod touch is simply a device synced to your computer - it just picks up authorisation from any account that that computer is authorised to play.

If you deactivate all your computers, and then sync, you are syncing with a deactivated computer, so possibly it has lost authorisation for those songs (or those songs were never actually on your computer to begin with, but were synced somewhere else).

I'm pretty sure the songs have not been randomly deleted. Again, check your time machine backup to be sure.

I did deactivate, reactivate, and then sync.

It's weird, the missing MP3s were actually still on my HD. For example, I have one Lou Reed album, "Transformer." Every song on there was fine except for "Make Up." So I double clicked it, it said it couldn't be found, and would I like to try and locate it.

I located the "Transformer" album and sure enough, all the MP3s were in the folder, but the song "Make Up" was showing as a generic song file while every other song on the record's icon was the album art.

I had to do this to all 12 songs that were missing, but everything seems fine now.

MCX said:
Hey guys, I'm selling my Windows PC and sticking with Mac as my only computer. I have ~30GB of music organized in iTunes on it and want to back it up to an external and then transfer it over to my Macbook. Is there a way to properly do this so that iTunes retains my organization and album covers, etc. on the new computer? Thanks.

yes. grab the whole iTunes folder on your Windows PC.
It's the one that when you open should have a bunch of folders (Album Artworks, iTunes Music etc.) and .xml and/or .itdb files.

Then on the mac, just put that same folder in your /user/Music folder. when you start up iTunes on the Mac, everything will be in place.

While listening to some music in iTunes I was getting some weird popping noises occasionally, and then the music just cut out. Anyone had this happen?

EDIT: Restarted computer and now it's fine. I'm still a little worried though. :\

MDJCM

mescalineeyes said:
does anyone have an idea how to install Windows (preferrably 7) without a disk drive?
I have a few ISOs here from MSDNAA but I can neither burn them, nor can my disk drive read disks at all :/

edit: boot camp, not parallels
I recovered a friend's system (fried CD drive) by using my macbook's CD drive through firewire target mode

MCX

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
yes. grab the whole iTunes folder on your Windows PC.
It's the one that when you open should have a bunch of folders (Album Artworks, iTunes Music etc.) and .xml and/or .itdb files.

Then on the mac, just put that same folder in your /user/Music folder. when you start up iTunes on the Mac, everything will be in place.
Many thanks.

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
I did deactivate, reactivate, and then sync.

It's weird, the missing MP3s were actually still on my HD. For example, I have one Lou Reed album, "Transformer." Every song on there was fine except for "Make Up." So I double clicked it, it said it couldn't be found, and would I like to try and locate it.

I located the "Transformer" album and sure enough, all the MP3s were in the folder, but the song "Make Up" was showing as a generic song file while every other song on the record's icon was the album art.

I had to do this to all 12 songs that were missing, but everything seems fine now.
Cool. Sounds like your touch library was fine, but it lost track of where they were during the new sync or your new computer lost 'em.

Anyway, enjoy your new computer!

fireside

mescalineeyes said:
Date added

- Restart computer
I have the same problem as Dragona (mine’s a MacBook though) but Snow Leopard doesn’t have an “International” pref pane, just “Language and Text” and it doesn’t have these options:
- Set "Word Break" to English (United States, computer)​

Doing the first thing didn’t do anything for me either. Oh well.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
If anyone wants to put some cheesy/awesome flair to their Macbooks:
http://www.stickwithmebaby.com/

stickwithme-06-09-2010.jpg

Futureman

Hey, so I wiped my iMac w/ a 7-pass encode in anticipation of selling it.

I then installed 10.6 from the Snow Leopard DVD.

Does this mean my iLife suite is gone? How do I get the iLife apps back, would they be on the original OS X disc that came with the iMac?

Futureman said:
Hey, so I wiped my iMac w/ a 7-pass encode in anticipation of selling it.

I then installed 10.6 from the Snow Leopard DVD.

Does this mean my iLife suite is gone? How do I get the iLife apps back, would they be on the original OS X disc that came with the iMac?
your mac came with an "applications" disc. iLife is on there.

edgefusion

So has anyone else been using the YouTube5 extension for Safari? Absolutely amazing extension that makes YouTube usable again. Displays video in H.264 so it removes all the stupid crap like annotations and adverts and gives you the option to always view the video in the highest resolution available. Soooo good.

LCfiner

edgefusion said:
So has anyone else been using the YouTube5 extension for Safari? Absolutely amazing extension that makes YouTube usable again. Displays video in H.264 so it removes all the stupid crap like annotations and adverts and gives you the option to always view the video in the highest resolution available. Soooo good.

yup, I’ve been using that, the instapaper extension, the restore previous session extension and the “type to navigate” extension which is cool because if you type text that’s in a kink and then hit enter, you activate the link :) it also works as an instant search.

also, gentle status bar to mimic the “only as needed” chrome status bar.

nice little tweaks here and there. nothing to crazy so far but I’m glad that ISMBL pug ins aren’t required for this anymore.

guys, I have an Activity Monitor question:

screenshot20100611at224.png

can someone tell me how to interpret the Finder activity? I have it playing an mp3 directly in finder, so I understand it's using resources. that's not my question or concern. What I don't understand is how to resolve in my mind that the Activity Monitor says Finder is using "60%" of my CPU...while in the lower-right, it says that the CPU is 81.41% idle. and that the stuff I'm currently using is only taking up 12.44% of my CPU, total (+6.16% for the system itself).

How do I resolve this discrepancy in my mind? Is this saying that of the 12.44% of things the CPU is doing by my request (%User), 60% of that 12.44% portion is Finder's activities?

sorry if this is a stupid question...it's just that coming from Windows, this part is straight forward. I doubt Finder could be using 60% of my CPU just to play an mp3. but then what the hell does the number mean? it's using 60% of *something*. lol

for the sake of being thorough, when the song stops playing in finder, the following changes occur:

% User - 2.63
% System - 1.12
% Idle - 96.25
Finder - 0.1%

LCfiner

Windows and Mac display processor percentages differently on multicore machines

Each core has 100%. On a four core machine, the max you will see on a mac in 400%. but it's 100 on windows, so that may be tripping up your addition.

Edit. Of course, then os x goes and makes things complicated by going from the 400 scale in the listing to a reduced 100 scale on the bottom, where it adds up the percentages.

LCfiner said:
Windows and Mac display processor percentages differently on multicore machines

Each core has 100%. On a four core machine, the max you will see on a mac in 400%. but it's 100 on windows, so that may be tripping up your addition.
so according to my activity monitor, do you think it's saying i'm using 60% of one core (or 60% spread over 2 cores)...but only 12% of the total available?

honestly, it's the discrepancy that's throwing me for a loop. ugh, I hate feeling lost. lol. but thank you for your insight.

mrkgoo

So I've ordered the new SSD hybrid HD. Going to see how it performs on my MBP. My last upgrade, I changed a 250GB 5400rpm to a 640GB 5400rpm, and I think I actually lost random seek ability, slowing application opening and multitasking.

Hopefully the new hybrid will get rid of my multitasking beachballs.

Spruchy

I have an iphone synced to my PC its a 32gb pretty much full on music and apps. Is there an easy way to resync it to my mac besides moving all the music over manually?

pulga

Banned
Hey guys, Im looking to replace my HDD with a new 120gb or so one. Im selling off my Macbook, already had a buyer, but the factory HDD went and died on me. Any suggestions?

mrkgoo

pulga said:
Hey guys, Im looking to replace my HDD with a new 120gb or so one. Im selling off my Macbook, already had a buyer, but the factory HDD went and died on me. Any suggestions?

Can you even still buy 120GB HDD?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

Futureman

Gmail + Mac users.... What do you do?

I've always used Mail, but it's kind of annoying to participate in a threaded conversation in Gmail using Mail. I wish there was a more elegant way to use Gmail on my computer without having a web browser open all the time.

Futureman

Does the $100 external MacBook Air Superdrive work with any Mac?

I'm thinking of one day replacing the internal Superdrive in my MBP w/ an SSD.

When people do this, I guess the best path is to put your OS and core apps on the SSD, and all your files on the normal internal drive?

NJ Shlice

Futureman said:
Gmail + Mac users.... What do you do?

I've always used Mail, but it's kind of annoying to participate in a threaded conversation in Gmail using Mail. I wish there was a more elegant way to use Gmail on my computer without having a web browser open all the time.

I just use Gmail.com. I have about 5 different email accounts that I monitor and i have them all filtering into one gmail account with filters, labels, labs, etc. So the best way is to just use it in the browser.

I really really wish there was a Gmail app for the iPhone that supports labels, labs, etc.

Zodzilla

Futureman said:
Does the $100 external MacBook Air Superdrive work with any Mac?

I'm thinking of one day replacing the internal Superdrive in my MBP w/ an SSD.

When people do this, I guess the best path is to put your OS and core apps on the SSD, and all your files on the normal internal drive?

Sadly, no. We got one of these in our office the other day. It only works with macbook air's and mac mini servers.

You can, however, get a third party external dvd drive/burner and it will work with your macbook pro.

Top Bottom