• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Got my first Macbook, it's the 13" 2.4ghz with 4gigs ram. What an awesome laptop this is, I love the track pad. Got the following installed, am I doing it wrong? I got a few questions.

Chrome
Adium
Picasa 3
Boxee
Utorrent
Paralells 5
Adobe suite
VLC
Starcraft2

Should I be using Iphoto to sync my photos from my iphone/ipad?
Whats the best way to get Itunes to "watch" a folder, so when I place an album it will add it into my Itunes library?
The track pad is so godly. Is there a way to refresh the current page using gestures?
Can notes from Ipad/Iphone be synced into OSX?

Thanks guys.

mrkgoo

Frustrated_me said:
Got my first Macbook, it's the 13" 2.4ghz with 4gigs ram. What an awesome laptop this is, I love the track pad. Got the following installed, am I doing it wrong? I got a few questions.

Chrome
Adium
Picasa 3
Boxee
Utorrent
Paralells 5
Adobe suite
VLC
Starcraft2

Whats the best way to get Itunes to "watch" a folder, so when I place an album it will add it into my Itunes library?
The track pad is so godly. Is there a way to refresh the current page using gestures?

Thanks guys.
A legit version of Photoshop?

Yes, use iPhoto, it's really good.

Give up the notion of having to manage your media files and let iPhoto and iTunes do it for you.

Gestures - I'm not sure if there're tools to assign to key combinations, at least default.

And yes, your iPhone notes sync if you use the mail program.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Frustrated_me said:

Chrome
Adium
Picasa 3
Boxee
Utorrent
Paralells 5
Adobe suite
VLC
Starcraft2

Thanks guys.
iTunes already has a folder it watches, its under ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Automatically Add to iTunes/

BeterTouchTool should allow you to do custom gestures.

Cool thanks.

Yeah work license.

OK so how do I let Iphoto and Itunes manage my media exactly? And how do I tell my ipad iphone to sync from them? Sorry ignorant noob question.

I'll see if there is a 3rd party gesture addon for refreshing a browser. F5 doesnt seem to work.

edit: killtheee, thank you too :)

Killthee

Frustrated_me said:
Cool thanks.

Yeah work license.

OK so how do I let Iphoto and Itunes manage my media exactly? And how do I tell my ipad iphone to sync from them? Sorry ignorant noob question.

I'll see if there is a 3rd party gesture addon for refreshing a browser. F5 doesnt seem to work.

edit: killtheee, thank you too :)
iTunes should be able to handle everything. Connect your iDevice -> Go to iTunes -> Click on the device -> Photos -> Sync Photos from iPhoto -> Apply

20100611-82fwwpnb7q4hmd4xyfp71gi64s.jpg

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Frustrated_me said:
Niiiiiceeee :)

As for Iphoto do I have to import all my albums manually or does it also have a "watch" folder it imports automagically?

Depends on where you're getting the files from.

If you're importing files from a device (camera to iPhoto) or from a CD (audio disc to iTunes), then just connect/insert the device/CD and start up the program and it should automatically prompt you to import.

If it's from a file, or a folder with files, you can just drag the file/folder from Finder onto the iPhoto/iTunes icon on your dock and it should automatically import the files to your library.

Just FYI, I believe both iTunes and iPhoto automatically make a copy of the files you import to a default folder/file structure handled by each respective program. So you have a few options:

1. You can change the settings of the apps to stop it from making a "local" copy of the files you import, and just let each app keep track of where you left the files you imported.

2. You can keep the settings as is, and...
2a. Delete the original files once they've been imported, to save HDD space.
2b. Leave the original and the copy if you're just lazy and have no issues with HDD space.

I do 2a myself, as I don't care where the actual music/photo file is on my computer, since it's much easier to find a specific file using iPhoto/iTunes than any file/folder structure I could come up with. Oh, and FYI, you can always easily have a Finder window open up to the exact file you want by option-clicking the photo/song/movie in iTunes/iPhoto and selecting "Show in Finder".

The whole idea behind iTunes and iPhoto is you shouldn't have to care where your files are on your computer. Your computer can keep track of it for you, as long as you let it and know how to properly get the information you need.

MCX

Banned
GAF, I'm running a 13" MBP from last summer and haven't gamed on it at all until recently. I installed a popular Blizzard game and it runs at almost 200° F (93° C) for 10 minutes or so until the retarded fans finally kick in and lower the temp to a fairly constant 180° F (82° C). Is this dangerous for my laptop's internal components? I really don't want to fry my Mac as it's the best computer I''ve ever owned + it's all I've got. So should I avoid gaming on it or am I just being paranoid? Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

mrkgoo

Frustrated_me said:
Cool thanks for the tips, I will try option 1 as that would be best case scenario for me. Yay for you guys this thread is all kinds of awesome :)

I strongly recommend going option 2. Option 1 is fine, but people who do tend to get higher chances of messing up their iPhoto library. Obviously, it really depends on how you manage your images and stuff, but there generally is no reason to require access to your files outside of iPhoto. iPhoto isn't just a photo manager - it's supposed to be the photo 'hub' on the mac. It actually works best when the photos are hidden away inside itself (it does so so that people don't mess with files outside of iPhoto, causing iPhoto to have a fit).

Again, referencing works fine, so long as you don't touch the photos that you're referencing. And if you're not touching them, then why not just have them hidden away?

The idea is that if you need a photo, you launch iPhoto and retrieve it.

iPhoto even has an option to assign an external editor, such as photoshop, so that when you click it, it opens photoshop, and then when you save, it actually saves back into iPhoto as an edited version (iPhoto manages images in a non-destructive fashion).

Obviously, if you have more serious concerns than just consumer use, then other managers, or your own method would be more suitable (such as managing professional workflows with PSD, or an excess of 250,000 images or something). I just speak for general use.

Thanks for the excellent responses guys. I've nailed photo management I think. What I finally went with (with the advice from above) is to just import (drag files into iphoto) all my pictures into Iphoto and sync both my iphone/ipad with itunes using the "sync from Iphoto". Works great. I also get faces, events, locations, etc... Really nice - I also just delete the pictures from my HDD later on. Nice and clean.

Thats photos.

Now to tackle music :)

mrkgoo

Frustrated_me said:
Thanks for the excellent responses guys. I've nailed photo management I think. What I finally went with (with the advice from above) is to just import (drag files into iphoto) all my pictures into Iphoto and sync both my iphone/ipad with itunes using the "sync from Iphoto". Works great. I also get faces, events, locations, etc... Really nice - I also just delete the pictures from my HDD later on. Nice and clean.

Thats photos.

Now to tackle music :)

Perfect.

Actually, all your photos ARE still accessible in a folder hierarchy. They sit in your "iPhoto Library", which is just a disguised folder (right-click -> Show Package Contents). Inside there, there's a folder with "Originals" then organised by year and then date (or event name - it has gotten messy over the years).

In parallel with the "Originals" there's a "modified", which keeps a non-destructive record of changes, plus the final JPEG version of the changed image. Your original image is never modified. If there is a modified version, iPhoto will show that instead, and export that instead.

It's a big of a space killer if you change every image, but in the end, it's a really good compromise between non-destructiveness and speed.

If you can help it, NEVER go in there - you run the risk of messing things up, but it's good to understand how something works so that you know not to mess with it :)

I suggest you do the same thing with iTunes and let it manage your stuff. iTunes is actually a bit more robust and can actually handle changes, and is not so secretive with its folders and files (but can still easily get messed up if you mess around with the files). If possible stick to iTunes to do your modifications, and you tend to run into less issues.

Kal

Just got my new MacBook Pro (15" matte screen i7 512GB 720rpm) I'm so happy! Coming from an '07 MacBook Pro there are a couple of things I'm not used to:

- When I double click to drag I have to wait a second before it drops. Is this normal and is there a way to fix it?

- Had no idea the enter button was phased out. Any particular reason why?

Is iTunes my best option for ripping my CDs to MP3 (quality-wise)? I used LAME years ago on my PC, is there any equivalent?

mrkgoo

Kal said:
Just got my new MacBook Pro (15" matte screen i7 512GB 720rpm) I'm so happy! Coming from an '07 MacBook Pro there are a couple of things I'm not used to:

- When I double click to drag I have to wait a second before it drops. Is this normal and is there a way to fix it?

- Had no idea the enter button was phased out. Any particular reason why?

Is iTunes my best option for ripping my CDs to MP3 (quality-wise)? I used LAME years ago on my PC, is there any equivalent?

I hate tap to click (I just use the button), so I just click and drag. My main problem is that I accidentally to taps and end up clicking thingsI don't want to.

I ordered a 15" i7 MBP back on Sunday. I'm getting impaitent, and it's not supposed to be here until tuesday. :[

For those of you that have recently ordered a Mac, how close to the estimate did it arrive?

The last update on mine is: "Int'l shipment release ANCHORAGE, AK" as of 11:54 this morning. Did your computers go from China to Alaska before getting to you?

Inferno313 said:
I ordered a 15" i7 MBP back on Sunday. I'm getting impaitent, and it's not supposed to be here until tuesday. :[

For those of you that have recently ordered a Mac, how close to the estimate did it arrive?

The last update on mine is: "Int'l shipment release ANCHORAGE, AK" as of 11:54 this morning. Did your computers go from China to Alaska before getting to you?

apple's estimates always tend to be rather conservative I find.

then that's when you'll get it.

I wish I could offer you any helpful advice to cope with the waiting but really, nothing works, it's just too exciting :lol

Killthee

Kal said:
iTunes is more than enough for most people. If you want more options/control you can give Max a shot. I'm pretty sure it uses LAME for MP3 encoding.

I'm kind of curious. Would anyone be willing to trade my 2007 MBP 2.33 ghz Core 2 4gb RAM X1600 for an iPad? It has a brand new factory installed keyboard, case and screen. The rest of the system was also checked for problems.

MDJCM

Frustrated_me said:

Chrome
Adium
Picasa 3
Boxee
Utorrent
Paralells 5
Adobe suite
VLC
Starcraft2

Thanks guys.

If you havent already, go to System Prefs and look at the Trackpad options, Secondary Click is really handy, as is tap to click

MDJCM

MCX said:
GAF, I'm running a 13" MBP from last summer and haven't gamed on it at all until recently. I installed a popular Blizzard game and it runs at almost 200° F (93° C) for 10 minutes or so until the retarded fans finally kick in and lower the temp to a fairly constant 180° F (82° C). Is this dangerous for my laptop's internal components? I really don't want to fry my Mac as it's the best computer I''ve ever owned + it's all I've got. So should I avoid gaming on it or am I just being paranoid? Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
My 13" MBP runs hot too, but Applecae means i dont have to worry about it :p It can burn itself out if it wants to

Futureman

Inferno313 said:
It's FedEx's estimate, fyi. Apple's was June 9-15. Fedex is June 15 by 4:30.

My FEDEX estimate was June 9 and I got it on the 8th. So maybe you'll get it a day early.

For what it's worth, my MBP arrived in Alaska on the 7th, and I got it the next day on the 8th. I'm in Pittsburgh and I choose the $18 shipping option on Apple.com.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm feeling confident this upcoming Tuesday is when the mini will be updated. It'll be my first osx machine.

Kal

Killthee said:
iTunes is more than enough for most people. If you want more options/control you can give Max a shot. I'm pretty sure it uses LAME for MP3 encoding.

Thanks. Is it possible to use LAME with iTunes?

MCX

Banned
MDJCM said:
My 13" MBP runs hot too, but Applecae means i dont have to worry about it :p It can burn itself out if it wants to
I should buy this Applecare you speak of. What temperature's generally considered 'too hot' for a laptop?

MDJCM

MCX said:
I should buy this Applecare you speak of. What temperature's generally considered 'too hot' for a laptop?
I only bought it because i bought the MBP with student discount which is 75% discount on the Applecare. Dunno if its worth it without the discount.

I dunno what a safe temp is, but im pretty sure anything above 70 c is not healthy

Ashhong

i followed Snakexs advice yesterday and installed Chrome for my MBP. so good..my computer isnt laggy anymore. Firefox would sometimes just freeze while idling and my fans would go crazy, now my cpu and memory usage is so much less.

MDJCM said:
I only bought it because i bought the MBP with student discount which is 75% discount on the Applecare. Dunno if its worth it without the discount.

I dunno what a safe temp is, but im pretty sure anything above 70 c is not healthy

for laptops, and for the MBP, 70 is fine and normal. 80 is ok. high 90s when watching flash and such is ok too.

Kal said:
nope. seems to be a software thing.

personally, I'm surprised no enterprising souls made it so that it would release immediately. it's very annoying. especially for those coming from a Windows background where this .5 seconds of "hang" don't occur.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
nope. seems to be a software thing.

personally, I'm surprised no enterprising souls made it so that it would release immediately. it's very annoying. especially for those coming from a Windows background where this .5 seconds of "hang" don't occur.

Out of curiosity, I'm still trying to figure out what you guys mean. Are you meaning you use tap to click, and you use the double tap to drag something?

So when you double tap to drag, it requires a half second delay AFTER you let go to drop?

edit: Ok, I tried it out. I think it's actually deliberate. Like a 'feature'. It's there so you can actually raise your finger and reposition your finger on the trackpad to continue a drag motion. It has to do with the way acceleration works on a Mac (Which I find better).

Basically, it's so you can drag-lift-reposition-drag-lift-repostion-drag etc, like you would a mouse if you run out of mousepad space.

I think.

Otherwise, if it drops instantly, what do you do about dragging, but you've moved your finger to the edge of the trackpad and you haven't reached your destination yet?

mrkgoo said:
Out of curiosity, I'm still trying to figure out what you guys mean. Are you meaning you use tap to click, and you use the double tap to drag something?

So when you double tap to drag, it requires a half second delay AFTER you let go to drop?

edit: Ok, I tried it out. I think it's actually deliberate. Like a 'feature'. It's there so you can actually raise your finger and reposition your finger on the trackpad to continue a drag motion. It has to do with the way acceleration works on a Mac (Which I find better).

Basically, it's so you can drag-lift-reposition-drag-lift-repostion-drag etc, like you would a mouse if you run out of mousepad space.

I think.

Otherwise, if it drops instantly, what do you do about dragging, but you've moved your finger to the edge of the trackpad and you haven't reached your destination yet?
yes, it's deliberate.

the "problem" is that this 'feature' is only on OSX, only happens when double tap dragging, and cannot be disabled.

again, those coming from a Windows background who are used to double tap dragging and simply releasing then quickly moving on to the next task find this very irritating because an extra click is required to "release" the mouse.

long-time OSX users are probably used to it...but after 3 weeks, I'm still very much adjusting. I really hate that there's no way to disable it. I don't need OSX to "help" me in this way. :(

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
yes, it's deliberate.

the "problem" is that this 'feature' is only on OSX, only happens when double tap dragging, and cannot be disabled.

again, those coming from a Windows background who are used to double tap dragging and simply releasing then quickly moving on to the next task find this very irritating because an extra click is required to "release" the mouse.

long-time OSX users are probably used to it...but after 3 weeks, I'm still very much adjusting. I really hate that there's no way to disable it. I don't need OSX to "help" me in this way. :(

I guess it could be annoying in Windows, if the acceleration is turned off.

So what do you actually do if you drag something to somewhere, but don't quite make it there, but have your finger on the edge of the trackpad? Do you have to let go and start again?

Unless you have a third party app to turn off acceleration, then I imagine this would happen frequently.

Also, can't you just turn off tap to click and just use the trackpad button the old-fashioned (and true :p) way?

I actually struggled for a little while after switching too, but I grew accustomed to it (mostly mouse acceleration). I always suggest to people who move over to try and not let it get to you. Rather than fight it, just learn to use it. It may suck, but there's not much any other way. I mean, sure you can try to find some third-party solution to "make it more like how Windows does it", but that seems counter-productive in the long run.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
MDJCM said:
Interesting, why do you think its this Tuesday?
These types of updates always happen on a Tuesday. And the mini supply has been stopped. I was hoping it was this past Tuesday but it wasn't. So hopefully the upcoming one. It has to happen soon. Unless they're discontinuing the mini altogether.

mrkgoo said:
I guess it could be annoying in Windows, if the acceleration is turned off.

So what do you actually do if you drag something to somewhere, but don't quite make it there, but have your finger on the edge of the trackpad? Do you have to let go and start again?
I just release, reposition my finger, double tap and continue dragging, or I click with one finger and drag with the other. both happen without conscious thought.

I'd rather the system didn't assume that I need help in dragging something to some portion of the screen. or at least be able to disable this "drag assistance" feature. I can see how some would appreciate it...and if the trackpad for the MBP was small, it'd make sense to be turned on by default. but the MBP's trackpad is gigantic and I've yet to really run into situations where I felt like I needed to have it on, yet I've run into plenty of times where I would have preferred it not be there at all.

so for me...I'd just like the option to turn it off. and trust me, I've done my due dilligence in googling the matter. lots of discussion about it; nobody taking up the cause to create a fix.

Really, I'm shocked that an app as robust as BetterTouchTool doesn't have this issue addressed anywhere in its menus of options.

this, of course, is only an issue when you double-tap and drag with the touchpad. if you just click the mouse button, it doesn't do this. if you're using an external mouse, it doesn't do this. perhaps that's what makes this feel kinda random. if it doesn't do it with a mouse or the click mouse button, why not allow us to disable it on the touchpad?

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
I just release, reposition my finger, double tap and continue dragging, or I click with one finger and drag with the other. both happen without conscious thought.

I'd rather the system didn't assume that I need help in dragging something to some portion of the screen. or at least be able to disable this "drag assistance" feature. I can see how some would appreciate it...and if the trackpad for the MBP was small, it'd make sense to be turned on by default. but the MBP's trackpad is gigantic and I've yet to really run into situations where I felt like I needed to have it on, yet I've run into plenty of times where I would have preferred it not be there at all.

so for me...I'd just like the option to turn it off. and trust me, I've done my due dilligence in googling the matter. lots of discussion about it; nobody taking up the cause to create a fix.

Really, I'm shocked that an app as robust as BetterTouchTool doesn't have this issue addressed anywhere in its menus of options.

this, of course, is only an issue when you double-tap and drag with the touchpad. if you just click the mouse button, it doesn't do this. if you're using an external mouse, it doesn't do this. perhaps that's what makes this feel kinda random. if it doesn't do it with a mouse or the click mouse button, why not allow us to disable it on the touchpad?
It absolutely makes little sense to have a file instantly drop like that. You say you just let go on a windows machine and then double tap to drag again.

A Mac is built around click and dragging. Drag files around windows, to the dock etc. If you hve it instantly drop wherever you are, what if you happen to have it over a finder window? The file will disappear into that open folder. Then you have to go look for it to continue your drag. It just makes no sense to drop a file wherever it is I you have reached the trackpad edge and have to reinitiate a new drag.

I get where you're coming from, and while I guess it could be an option, I think after a while once you become more accustomed to the whole click and drag nature of the os you might understand. I realize it doesn't suit you for your main click and drag procedure (I'm guessing you don't click an drag files all over the place).

Personally I use the click button much more so the point is moot for me. I will click an drag a file, activate expose with a gesture then continue. Except for hot corners, I don't know how you would achevethis with tap to click.

If I want to make my Mac as optimized as possible without resetting settings in my video editing programs and stuff like that, whats the best way, to make it run as fast as possible?

is there a ccleaner and disk_defrag of OSX that speeds up the system?

Vigilant Walrus said:
If I want to make my Mac as optimized as possible without resetting settings in my video editing programs and stuff like that, whats the best way, to make it run as fast as possible?

is there a ccleaner and disk_defrag of OSX that speeds up the system?
Defrag is built-in and there's no registry for a CCleaner clone to clean.

Don't bring Windows thoughts into OSX or Linux.

mrkgoo said:
It absolutely makes little sense to have a file instantly drop like that. You say you just let go on a windows machine and then double tap to drag again.

A Mac is built around click and dragging. Drag files around windows, to the dock etc. If you hve it instantly drop wherever you are, what if you happen to have it over a finder window? The file will disappear into that open folder. Then you have to go look for it to continue your drag. It just makes no sense to drop a file wherever it is I you have reached the trackpad edge and have to reinitiate a new drag.

I get where you're coming from, and while I guess it could be an option, I think after a while once you become more accustomed to the whole click and drag nature of the os you might understand. I realize it doesn't suit you for your main click and drag procedure (I'm guessing you don't click an drag files all over the place).

Personally I use the click button much more so the point is moot for me. I will click an drag a file, activate expose with a gesture then continue. Except for hot corners, I don't know how you would achevethis with tap to click.
It SHOULD be an option for the same reasons as your underlying argument, which suggests your way is superior and lots of others disagree. There is no reason for users to feel forced into doing it this way when so many other touchpad options are available. I find that my productivity is SLOWED by having to click 3 times to release my mouse cursor after dragging something around. I have to *think* about letting it go, whereas if the thing would simply release immideately, I wouldn't have constantly run into windows that are *still* dragging around well after my mind has moved on to the next task and I've started to move the mouse accordingly. Too often, my mouse continues to move windows my mind expects to be released.

While I agree this can be a handy "feature", the reality is that less than 10% of my dragging in Windows results in my having to do a second "double tap and drag" procedure. the other 90% of the time, the "immideate release" approach is better, faster, and requires less thought. I appreciate your notion that OSX is somehow buitl around "window dragging" or some such...but so is Windows. But the reality that this only happens with the touch pad (and not with OSX mice or touchpad button itself) lends to my reality that this feature is relatively unnecessary (they didn't find it fit to included when actually clicking the mouse button or using an external mouse).

so for me, large portions of that 90% time is now spent consciously making sure I click yet a 3rd time when using only the touch pad...and when I forget, OSX is more than happy to remind me by continuing to drag windows that I expect to be released again. Most often this irritation becomes apparent when I'm resizing a window. I expect that when I release my drag, it should be done. but it's holding it unless I tap a 3rd time.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. But really...that 3rd click is a waste of time. and the more time I have to think about taping a 3rd time to release means slowed productivity.

No matter if you like being forced to click a 3rd time or not, the bottom line is that this should be an OPTION. Just like most touchpad related features are. It's not too much to ask. it's not an "I guess they could..." matter. It's a "they should..." matter. and really, there's no reason I should feel it necessary to explain or justify this to you. It should be a feature. and it seems like a simple one to impement at that. Enjoy how you're using it...especially if you're a long time user. But I know that I can move 4 windows around my screen about 2x as fast on Windows as on OSX because of that lack of an extra click. If I had my way, it would certainly be addressed by the OSX team. A simple on/off would do.

In fact, I think I'm going to e-mail someone over there on the subject if for no other reason than to understand their logic in not making it a touch pad option while it is the STANDARD when using the button or a mouse.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
It SHOULD be an option for the same reasons as your underlying argument, which suggests your way is superior and lots of others disagree. There is no reason for users to feel forced into doing it this way when so many other touchpad options are available. I find that my productivity is SLOWED by having to click 3 times to release my mouse cursor after dragging something around. I have to *think* about letting it go, whereas if the thing would simply release immideately, I wouldn't have constantly run into windows that are *still* dragging around well after my mind has moved on to the next task and I've started to move the mouse accordingly. Too often, my mouse continues to move windows my mind expects to be released.

While I agree this can be a handy "feature", the reality is that less than 10% of my dragging in Windows results in my having to do a second "double tap and drag" procedure. the other 90% of the time, the "immideate release" approach is better, faster, and requires less thought. I appreciate your notion that OSX is somehow buitl around "window dragging" or some such...but so is Windows. But the reality that this only happens with the touch pad (and not with OSX mice or touchpad button itself) lends to my reality that this feature is relatively unnecessary (they didn't find it fit to included when actually clicking the mouse button or using an external mouse).

so for me, large portions of that 90% time is now spent consciously making sure I click yet a 3rd time when using only the touch pad...and when I forget, OSX is more than happy to remind me by continuing to drag windows that I expect to be released again. Most often this irritation becomes apparent when I'm resizing a window. I expect that when I release my drag, it should be done. but it's holding it unless I tap a 3rd time.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. But really...that 3rd click is a waste of time. and the more time I have to think about taping a 3rd time to release means slowed productivity.

No matter if you like being forced to click a 3rd time or not, the bottom line is that this should be an OPTION. Just like most touchpad related features are. It's not too much to ask. it's not an "I guess they could..." matter. It's a "they should..." matter. and really, there's no reason I should feel it necessary to explain or justify this to you. It should be a feature. and it seems like a simple one to impement at that. Enjoy how you're using it...especially if you're a long time user. But I know that I can move 4 windows around my screen about 2x as fast on Windows as on OSX because of that lack of an extra click. If I had my way, it would certainly be addressed by the OSX team. A simple on/off would do.

In fact, I think I'm going to e-mail someone over there on the subject if for no other reason than to understand their logic in not making it a touch pad option while it is the STANDARD when using the button or a mouse.

I get what you're saying, but it's just what you're used to.

Like I said, I don't click three times, because I don't use tap to click. I find I accidentally click too often, so I turn it off. See you're not forced to clicking a third time at all. I click once and hold then release to let go. The above problem doesn't actually affect me at all, because I find it a waste of time having to double click to drag.

I do get what you're saying. But i'm not talking about drag gin windows around, but more files. Files would end up all over the place. But that's just me.

It's standard on a mouse because it's for actually using the button. You click, hold, drag, release. In fact, it's also standard on the trackpad. It's delayed when tap to click is on because of the need to be able to lift and reposition your finger while dragging.

I get that you want an option. Actually, I have no idea, but does windows have an option to delay the drop if using tap to click?

Actually, what third click are you talking about? I'm not sure i'm following anymore.

mrkgoo

Oh I see, you mean you hate having to drag windows around with tap to click.

I can see what you mean. Just turn off tap to click and use the button.

I think my point is that it's trying to keep in line with the rest of the cursor/touch control. Dragging windows may be a bit more of a pain, but it eases the use of dragging files, in my opinion.

Again, I can see how that an be annoying (just playing around with it, it's kind of annoying when you think it has released, but it hasn't), but the best solution is to just use the button.

It gives you proper control about clicking and dragging and not having to rely on any system of double-clicking, and craziness.

Personally, I find it crazy why many people like to use tap to click any way. Double-click to select text? Crazy.

But I do see what you mean. It;s like you are clicking and dragging, then you release, and try to move your mouse somewhere else, but you end up moving the window. That is pretty annoying. But like I said, it's annoying for that, but it makes much more sense for the files - clicking and dragging icons is so much a core of the OS X system, that you need to do it for basic stuff like move a file. Having it release instantly would actually be pretty bad for the case of files, I reckon. I think it works for the files, because you have a visual cue as to when the file is dropped or not, but for the windows you don't.

That said, I'm guessing it could be too hard to separate that from window dragging and resizing. Maybe they just wanted to keep it the same as the file stuff.

Again, just use the dang button. :p I don't have this hangup not because I'm used to 4 years of MAc Os X, but because I don't use tap to click.

It's Mac OS X. As with a lot of it, it's Apple's way or the highway. I tend to be adaptive enough, but I guess that's just me (I can switch between reverseY-axis controls if you give me a short while :O ).

Anyway, I didn't mean you had to justify yourself or anything. In fact, I agree with you that it should be an option, or at least have it worked out a bit more so that it's obvious when a window is released or not.

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
with all this talk about double tap dragging i tried it out....and i dont know how to do it. how the hell does it work?
You have to activate tap to click in your system preferences, as well as dragging.

Stop using the trackpad button. To drag something, double-click and hold. Then drag. The phenomenon he speaks of is that when dragging a file, when you release your finger, it waits a fraction of a second to actually 'let go' of the file. His beef is that when dragging windows it becomes annoying, because he finishes dragging, releases, but ends up trying to move the cursor again before it 'lets go' (behaviour from windowss is that it instantly releases as soon as you let go), inevitably dragging the window again. He wants an option to make it release instantly like windows.

I was mostly just struggling to see what he was meaning at first. After seeing it, I agree that it's annoying for windows, as there is no graphical indication it has 'let go'. I believe it's there mostly for moving files as well as other actions in os x. I still think it's necessary for moving files, as you don't want to get stuck in mid-drag at the edge of the trackpad with nowhere to go - i think that occurrence is more detrimental to productivity since click and dragging files is a more fundamental action in os x than resizing or moving windows. But overall, I never encountered it because I don't use tap to click.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Actually I take it back. Disk Utility's permissions repairing is pretty similar to the broken registry entry fixing that CCleaner does.

Yeah but that should only be done when you HAVE an issue already, and it won't make anything faster.

Ulairi

Banned
Is there anyway to get the application windows to reopen back to their default size? I was told with OSX I shouldn't run each window maximum sized, like I do with Windows. Also, how do I get Spaces to work on my function keys?

Top Bottom