• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macbook pro 15' 2015 refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/05/apple-announces-new-15-inch-macbook-pro-with-force-touch-and-other-upgrades/
Some good news for power users ahead of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference next month: the company has just updated its 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, completing the 2015 MacBook refresh it began with the new MacBook Air, 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, and the MacBook.

The 15-inch Pros include some upgrades that other MacBooks have gotten this year—faster PCI Express storage enabled by increasing the number of PCIe lanes used from two to four and the Force Touch trackpad are chief among them. The discrete graphics option on the high-end £1,999 version of the laptop has also been upgraded, from an Nvidia GeForce GT 750M to an AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of DDR5 RAM. The entry-level £1,599 version still comes with Intel's Iris integrated graphics.

Visually, the MacBook Pro looks much like the 2012 and 2013 models. The one noticeable physical difference is its Force Touch trackpad, also included in the 13-inch Pro and the new MacBook. These pressure-sensitive trackpads use haptic feedback to simulate the feel of a standard clicky trackpad, but they don't need as much physical space to move. The trackpad's inclusion in the MacBook is obviously necessary because of how thin the device is, but its presence in the new Pros is probably intended to encourage developers to adopt Force Touch APIs in their software.

Oddly, Apple gives us no specific information about what specific Intel CPUs and GPUs the new Pro is using, beyond the fact that they're quad-core Core i7s. Though Intel hasn't yet officially announced the higher-end quad-core Broadwell processor models with the Iris Pro 6200 GPU, those chips were slated for introduction mid-year and we'd expect them to be included here. One of our biggest complaints about the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro was that the Iris Pro 5200 integrated GPU wasn't quite as fast as the dedicated GPU in the 2012 model. If the Iris 6200 is included, we hope that it can surpass the graphics performance of both models.

Update: Apple tells us that Intel's Broadwell CPUs and GPUs are not included in the new MacBook Pros, which means that we're still looking at Haswell-based CPUs and Intel Iris Pro 5200 GPUs. That CPU and GPU performance in the base model isn't improving after a year-and-a-half is disappointing, especially given that the quad-core Broadwell launch is supposedly happening soon.

The £1,599 base model includes a 2.2GHz (3.4GHz Turbo) quad-core Core i7, a 256GB PCIe SSD, and 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. The £1,999 version includes a 2.5GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) quad-core Core i7 with a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM, as well as the aforementioned dedicated graphics solution. 2.8GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Core i7s are available as upgrade options for both models (£230 for the entry-level model, £150 in the high-end model), as are 1TB SSDs (a wallet-busting £640 in the low-end model, £400 in the high-end model).

Both models boast up to nine hours of battery life, slightly lower than the 10 hours promised by the 13-inch models but higher than the estimate for the 2013 models—a slightly larger 99.5WHr battery, up from 95WHr, is responsible for at least some of that increase. Both models include the same 15-inch 2880×1800 display as previous-generation models, as well as their roughly 4.5 pound weight. Two Thunderbolt 2 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, an SD card slot, a full-size HDMI port, and a MagSafe 2 connector round out the laptop's physical ports, while 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0 continue to handle wireless communications.

As of this writing, the base model is available to ship in one business day and will be available to pick up in stores tomorrow; the upgraded model will be available to ship in 1-3 business days. We'll be giving the new hardware the full review treatment in the coming days.

TLDR: Faster flash drive, 9 hour battery (up from 8 hours), force touch, high clock speed processor but no upgrade to Broadwell, and they're using AMD Radeon R9 M370X for those who are buying the discrete graphics laptops.. though little is known about it.

Thoughts?

glaurung

Hell yes, finally!

I've been itching to replace my MBP, I suppose the time is now.

Niggles:
  1. Not sold on the Force Touch concept. Does not seem like it would add a lot to me.
  2. A Radeon card in my MBP? Wuh?

The curiously timed releases of both this and the 13-inch one have me thinking that a more dramatic redesign is coming for both this fall.

Thinner, butterfly keyboard, less bezel to make it more like the MacBook, etc.

Hell yes, finally!

I've been waiting to see what they'd change - I'm buying one in a few months and I'm glad about the graphics card upgrade, it should allow me to play Cities: Skyline's and one or two others.. at least I hope.
The curiously timed releases of both this and the 13-inch one have me thinking that a more dramatic redesign is coming for both this fall.

Thinner, butterfly keyboard, less bezel to make it more like the MacBook, etc.

Really? I'm buying one for Uni in September... hopefully we'll hear more by then if this is the case, I guess they could make a big change for Broadwell?

A Radeon card in my MBP? Wuh?

They used AMD for 2011 MBP's(?)

njean777

Hell yes, finally!

Niggles:
  1. Not sold on the Force Touch concept. Does not seem like it would add a lot to me.

For that amount of money I would want nividia tbh.

Really? I'm buying one for Uni in September... hopefully we'll hear more by then if this is the case, I guess they could make a big change for Broadwell?

Highly doubt they release something new this year. October would be the last time they could update it and i doubt they'd do that in 5 months.

Hell yes, finally!

Niggles:

Highly doubt they release something new this year. October would be the last time they could update it and i doubt they'd do that in 5 months.

Would it make a huge difference for someone who has no great design demands?

If I can play the odd game I'm happy, I assume the current model will be fine?

Hatty

How much is a bump is this? As far as I see the only bump is to the GPU
I'm guessing they're waiting for skylake at this point since its still on Haswell

glaurung

Could be due to HBM. Need to see if they're using it in the mobile products.
For that amount of money I would want nividia tbh.
For $2,500 in 2015 I'd prefer an NVIDIA card too.

Does not really mean that much to me, since I rarely play games on my current MBP. I do use other applications that tap into the GPU, so a powerful GPU is a must, Iris won't do for me.

To be truthful, I am curious why they would choose this exact Radeon model. Is it likely that they do in-house testing and the Radeon card was deemed better? Did they manage to buy those card chipsets for peanuts?

Interesting.

They have made some changes in order to reduce the price though - you may want to look at those.

Macbook pro 15'?

Wow, that's huge.
Who in the world do they expect to be using something that big?
Not even sports stadia have screens that big.

It actually is pretty big for a laptop, I know people with 13' MBP's and they're too small for me. 13' is fine if you're using it in a cafe or somewhere, but at a desk 15' is needed. In fact, a monitor is probably needed.

terrisus

It actually is pretty big for a laptop, I know people with 13' MBP's and they're too small for me. 13' is fine if you're using it in a cafe or somewhere, but at a desk 15' is needed. In fact, a monitor is probably needed.

13' is gigantic too.
I have a hard time envisioning anyone using a "portable" device that's anywhere over 2'

' = feet, " = inches

glaurung

The joke here is that the MBP screen sizes are measured in inches, and inches are represented with double apostrophes - 15" MBP.

15' MBP would measure four and a half meters in diameter.

Edit: beaten like a soiled blanket.

13' is gigantic too.
I have a hard time envisioning anyone using a "portable" device that's anywhere over 2'

' = feet, " = inches

The joke here is that the MBP screen sizes are measured in inches, and inches are represented with double apostrophes - 15" MBP.

15' MBP would measure four and a half meters in diameter.

Edit: beaten like a soiled blanket.
My bad, thinking about it I did know that, I just wasn't really thinking properly lol.

Dennis

Banned
Next year might be the time for me to trade up if they introduce Retina Display Macbook Airs.

Super happy with my current 13" Haswell and its insane battery life.

Does not really mean that much to me, since I rarely play games on my current MBP. I do use other applications that tap into the GPU, so a powerful GPU is a must, Iris won't do for me.

To be truthful, I am curious why they would choose this exact Radeon model. Is it likely that they do in-house testing and the Radeon card was deemed better? Did they manage to buy those card chipsets for peanuts?

Interesting.

Nvidia is historically very dififcult to work with. Microsoft, Sony & Nintendo have worked with them once and never again (nintendo never ended up releasing the product!).

So Apple probably only use them when they are clearly superior to AMD, which they generally are since AMD haven't put enough work into their mobile products in years gone by. It may be that their new product is very competitive. If it uses High Bandwith Memory it should be very good, but I'm not sure hbm is going to their mobile products yet though

Hatty

I still see no reason why anyone with a 2013 pro should update to these models
maybe skylake will give enough of an incentive

Meh3D

Interesting.

For starters, not everyone is under nVidia's marketing spell. (Quite a loaded statement I know.). They have their reasons based on their R&D which I give more weight to as opposed to someone in the forums or in the comments of the article claiming they know better.

As to your curiosity, there is an interesting piece of information in the specs that may be an important factor in their choice. (I more curious as to what Apple may coming up based on this.)

From the new MBPR 15 spec page on the Apple website:

Apple Product page said:
"Support for up to 5120 by 2160 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display (model with AMD Radeon R9 M370X only)"

Meh3D

Yea and they all overheat and fail. There's a massive return/repair program going on at the moment after a lawfirm was preparing a class action suit.

My fathers did not fail. Neither did the ones they have at my previous job. Neither one or ten anecdotes can make a rule. But they break claims such as yours.

I would like to remind you that the particular chipset used in that MacBook has been used in many other devices. This class action doesn't come close to the nVidia issue where it happened across several manufactures. By your logic we should avoid nVidia more so.

I'm not one to play up corporate defense. I take issue though with such claims though (bullshit).

For starters, not everyone is under nVidia's marketing spell. (Quite a loaded statement I know.). They have their reasons based on their R&D which I give more weight to as opposed to someone in the forums or in the comments of the article claiming they know better.

As to your curiosity, there is an interesting piece of information in the specs that may be an important factor in their choice. (I more curious as to what Apple may coming up based on this.)

From the new MBPR 15 spec page on the Apple website:

I mean, it's straight fact that AMD's mobile efforts have been awful for a while, but okay.

My fathers did not fail. Neither did the ones they have at my previous job. Neither one or ten anecdotes can make a rule. But they break claims such as yours.

I would like to remind you that the particular chipset used in that MacBook has been used in many other devices. This class action doesn't come close to the nVidia issue where it happened across several manufactures. By your logic we should avoid nVidia more so.

I'm not one to play up corporate defense. I take issue though with such claims though (bullshit).

?

Servbot24

Banned
This isn't a true refresh, just a quiet stopgap until Skylake. If you don't need a new macbook right now I'd at least wait til October.

Hmmm... Doesn't look like a huge jump over the previous gen...

Does anyone know where I can't get a 2014 15in MBP? Doesn't seem like a terrible idea if I can find it cheap.

Two Words

I was worried that a Broadwell 15" refresh would make me unable to wait for Skylake. But staying on Haswell just makes this too easy. No way I'm paying $2000+ for a laptop with a 2 year old processor.

LCfiner

Hmmm... Doesn't look like a huge jump over the previous gen...

Does anyone know where I can't get a 2014 15in MBP? Doesn't seem like a terrible idea if I can find it cheap.

At this point, I'd recommend the apple refurbished store. price drops for last year's model will probably be greater now. (closer to 20% than 15%). full warranty, works and looks like new.

200_s.gif

This is only a GPU upgrade at best and a minor clock speed bump. It also gets Force Touch on the 15" so developers can start messing with it.

They'll have a Broadwell variant out in less than six months depending on whether Intel can get their 14nm asses in gear.

Tonza

Man the 15 inch with dGPU is expensive here. 2850 euros. More expensive than the 27" iMac.

Have to look at Windows options now to replace my 2012 rMBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom