• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macbook pro 15' 2015 refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revoh

My Late 2013 15-inch rMBP turned one year a few days ago, I couldn't be more happier with it, it's an amazing laptop. The upgraded version looks pretty sweet.

AngryMoth

Man the 15 inch with dGPU is expensive here. 2850 euros. More expensive than the 27" iMac.

Have to look at Windows options now to replace my 2012 rMBP.
Don't know about EU the UK it's been possible to get a new 2014 model for £1500 on eBay (whereas it was £2000 on the apple store). I assume that's a combination of them getting them at US prices and with education discount or something. Anyway I'm betting on the fact there'll be the same prices on the 2015 model soon

Meh3D

I mean, it's straight fact that AMD's mobile efforts have been awful for a while, but okay.

?

The first line in the quote I replied to.

Yea and they all overheat and fail. There's a massive return/repair program going on at the moment after a lawfirm was preparing a class action suit.

Concerning your first comment. What makes this popular opinion a fact? In particular how does this particularly prove Apple's R&D decision in selecting the M370X was wrong? Please elaborate if you got the time.

I'll read it later. Back to work for me.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Yea and they all overheat and fail. There's a massive return/repair program going on at the moment after a lawfirm was preparing a class action suit.
Isn't the 2011 AMD? I've had flaw-based failures in both my 2007 and 2011 MBPs that needed mainboard replacement. I thought both were Nvidia.

200_s.gif

This is only a GPU upgrade at best and a minor clock speed bump. It also gets Force Touch on the 15" so developers can start messing with it.

They'll have a Broadwell variant out in less than six months depending on whether Intel can get their 14nm asses in gear.

I'm guessing Apple will opt to wait until Skylake and pass over Broadwell entirely.

Hatty

I'm guessing Apple will opt to wait until Skylake and pass over Broadwell entirely.
That really seems to be the best decision
Broadwell doesn't seem that great of an increase if you're not trying to make a small fanless/quiet machine

SuperSah

Banned
Hell yes, finally!

I've been itching to replace my MBP, I suppose the time is now.

Niggles:
  1. Not sold on the Force Touch concept. Does not seem like it would add a lot to me.
  2. A Radeon card in my MBP? Wuh?

As someone who was skeptical upon buying the new 2015 rMBP, Force Touch is awesome. It feels better, you can click anywhere, and the features it brings are very useful.

grkazan12

I tried force touch at an apple store and didn't like it at all. Why would over engineer something as simple as the physical button touchpad. Unlike the new Macbook it still has the depth.

Rootbeer

Banned
What a yawnworthy refresh!

Oh well, suits me very well. Sticking with my 2013 rMBP without a tinge of jealousy. Maybe next year.

Faster would be nice and all but it's definitely no slouch for a laptop. I'm not even sure what I'd use the extra speed for unless I wanted to play games more demanding than Minecraft or Blizzard/Valve's offerings... and I really don't, at least not on my portable.

I'm curious but, what is the resale value for a Mac like? I hear Macs are very good for retaining their resale value. What percentage of the MSRP can you sell a late rMBP for, say a year from now?

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm curious but, what is the resale value for a Mac like? I hear Macs are very good for retaining their resale value. What percentage of the MSRP can you sell a late rMBP for, say a year from now?

fantastic. can easily recoup half after two years. close to half after three. I might be underestimating.

At this point, I'd recommend the apple refurbished store. price drops for last year's model will probably be greater now. (closer to 20% than 15%). full warranty, works and looks like new.

How frequently does the store update? Right now the cheapest one is $2000 :/

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hell yes, finally!

I've been itching to replace my MBP, I suppose the time is now.

Niggles:
  1. Not sold on the Force Touch concept. Does not seem like it would add a lot to me.
  2. A Radeon card in my MBP? Wuh?

Go to the store and try it out. Force Touch is amazing. Even after using it, even after knowing it's not a click mechanism, I would swear on my life that it is.

Zaph

fantastic. can easily recoup half after two years. close to half after three. I might be underestimating.

Yup. And if you get into the habit of looking after your equipment (keeping boxes, use a case etc) and selling it before the model is considered old (no more than 2 gens ago), you can keep a tight upgrade cycle yourself for not a lot of money.

The trick is to upgrade before you get the feeling you need to upgrade, because that's usually the point people don't want it any more. Easily one of the best things about Apple products.

I was worried when I saw the topic title - I just bought a base 15" three months ago. However, I see effectively nothing of real consequence has changed. That's a really minor refresh...

How do you guys feel about the weight of the 15" model though? Is 4.5 lbs too heavy, compared to the 3.5 lbs of the 13" and 2lbs (!) of the new MacBook?

LCfiner

How do you guys feel about the weight of the 15" model though? Is 4.5 lbs too heavy, compared to the 3.5 lbs of the 13" and 2lbs (!) of the new MacBook?

I think the size, more than the weight, makes it a bit too big for major portable use. I have a 2012 15" mode and I really want a smaller one now that I want to bring it around more for work use. the size of it is a bit unruly and hard to hold compared to the 13" model. I'd also like the reduced weight but i feel the size as an issue more frequently when carrying it around or trying to place it on a crammed conference table..

and, based on apple store use, the 12" macbook makes the 13" retina model seem like a tank. the 12" mb is just ridiculously small and light. 13" model probably strikes the best balance for most people, though (not as limited plus it's faster and had more screen space)

Husker86

It's not light, but the extra screen real estate was pretty essential for me and I don't regret getting one last December at all. Doing work on it compared to the 13.3" I had before (though, to be fair, it wasn't a retina screen) feels so much less cramped. I usually use it closed and hooked up to my three monitors, but I still much prefer the larger screen.

If it were mainly for use at school or something, I probably wouldn't choose it though. When I travel I'll probably leave it at home and just bring my SP3.

I guess, for me, the portability factor is more about the size rather than the weight.

X-Frame

Damnit.

I have a mid-2010 15" MBP and have been waiting to throw money at Apple to upgrade. I suppose I will keep waiting until possibly a redesign or hopefully Skylake.

The new SSD and 8 GB of RAM installed has made it run better than it did in 2010 anyway.

Yup. And if you get into the habit of looking after your equipment (keeping boxes, use a case etc) and selling it before the model is considered old (no more than 2 gens ago), you can keep a tight upgrade cycle yourself for not a lot of money.

The trick is to upgrade before you get the feeling you need to upgrade, because that's usually the point people don't want it any more. Easily one of the best things about Apple products.

Interesting... My laptop stays in my house (never shove it into a bag or anything) so it's in great shape. So you're saying that a year from now, I can sell my 15" 2013 rMBP (2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, integrated IRIS Pro, 256 GB SSD) for about $1,000? That is damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom