• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MachineGames: Indiana Jones is the largest game we ever made

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Harrison Ford GIF

Can't wait.
Marvels Agents Of Shield Wow GIF by ABC Network

EruditeHobo

But is it the thickest?

"This is the veiniest, ropiest game we've ever released"

All tomfoolery aside... I'm very concerned about the 1st person.

I love Indy, the character and the series. Hell, I worked on multiple Indy games. I love him! But I just don't think FPS is the way to go with this.

A whip cannot be maximized in 1st person, even if the actual whip gameplay/combat design is brilliant. Imagine playing God of War with the Leviathan ax -- as great as everything about that was, the feel, the sound, the combat and special moves and combos, the scaling -- and put it in 1st person.

I just don't know... will have to play it to truly know. Needless to say I hope they knock it out of the park, as Indy deserves a great action adventure game... and combat and the whip both are key parts of an Indy adventure. I'm just skeptical. Hopefully it plays amazing. Nothing I've seen so far is super encouraging.

Troy seems to have pretty much nailed the assignment however, which is the next-most important part probably. Hopefully they get the charm and smarts combo right via the script.

Last edited:
"This is the veiniest, ropiest game we've ever released"

All tomfoolery aside... I'm very concerned about the 1st person.

I love Indy, the character and the series. Hell, I worked on multiple Indy games. I love him! But I just don't think FPS is the way to go with this.

A whip cannot be maximized in 1st person, even if the actual whip gameplay/combat design is brilliant. Imagine playing God of War with the Leviathan ax -- as great as everything about that was, the feel, the sound, the combat and special moves and combos, the scaling -- and put it in 1st person.

I just don't know... will have to play it to truly know. Needless to say I hope they knock it out of the park, as Indy deserves a great action adventure game... and combat and the whip both are key parts of an Indy adventure. I'm just skeptical. Hopefully it plays amazing. Nothing I've seen so far is super encouraging.

Troy seems to have pretty much nailed the assignment however, which is the next-most important part probably. Hopefully they get the charm and smarts combo right via the script.
Having played Riddick recently, I don’t think they will “maximise” whip combat.

If the game flows like that, it will likely consist of mid sized levels with stealth elements. Whip will likely be used as silenced weapon and a traversal tool.

They make awesome games but they pad the fuck out of them. As much as I loved the Wolfenstein games which IMO were all awesome from beginning to end, after awhile I could not wait for them be be over, but they kept going and going.

That said, I had no idea they were the ones making this so it is now instantly on my want list.

How long are their other games?

EruditeHobo

Having played Riddick recently, I don’t think they will “maximise” whip combat.

If the game flows like that, it will likely consist of mid sized levels with stealth elements. Whip will likely be used as silenced weapon and a traversal tool.

This gets at a totally fair point, which is that an Indy game should probably not rely on the whip the way a God of War game relies on the ax... but, if we took my post and did a find-replace for "whip combat/gameplay" to "melee combat augmented and accented by whip/pistol/machete/whatever" feels like the point would stand.

How many devs have tried melee-focused combat systems in 1st person, and what percentage of them have really worked and felt good? I honestly don't know, but I don't remember any really "working". Maybe that's my own blindspot... either way, for me it's a major concern.

Still, I'll get and play this; I have to support the AAA-esque effort with the Indy franchise.

Last edited:
How many devs have tried melee-focused combat systems in 1st person, and what percentage of them have really worked and felt good? I honestly don't know, but I don't remember any really "working". Maybe that's my own blindspot... either way, for me it's a major concern.

Still, I'll get and play this; I have to support the AAA-esque effort with the Indy franchise.
I think Riddick does first person brawling style combat decently.

I wouldn’t compare it to a 3rd person hack and slash. But there is decent amount of precision and depth involved.

Game as a whole package works, cause its not the only option you have. You have whip, fistfights, guns. Depending on your situation (ammo, distance from enemy etc) you can use any of those.

Also, primarily its played as a stealth game. With puzzles, exploration to progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom