• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macross Plus 20th Anniversary (US release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

maxresdefault.jpg

20 years ago, yes 20 years ago, Manga Entertainment released Macross Plus in the US.

Originally, it was released as a high budget OVA. It was cut as a movie later with some additional scenes. Most of the talent behind Macross Plus would work together and alone in various highly regarded projects including Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Samurai Champloo, and most recently, Space Dandy.

I never saw any Macross series or Robotech (it’s Westernized version) so I was totally blind to the series tropes and mythos. I didn’t know what Zentradi were (one of the alien races) were, nor was I aware of how the mechs worked, that being a combination of humanoid mecha and sweet dogfighting military aircraft.

I saw it late, around 2000, so around five years after it came out in the US. But I was floored after watching it, and it kindled my love for anime for a good while, although I’m pretty casual these days.

The animation, the soundtrack, the dogfights, the cliche but well done love triangle. I watched the OVA many times. I still own the original DVD set, one of the few I’ve held on to over the years.

I’m partial to the OVA version as I’m a sucker for the cliffhangers after each episode.

I missed the Bluray release. It was Japan only and costs close to 200 bucks now, but had English subs, although the Manga Entertainment dub of Macross Plus is great. Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad, Malcolm in The Middle) has a big role.

I think most anime fans have probably seen this series or the movie version.

If you haven’t, definitely track it down. Unlike other legacy anime titles, it’s still widely available and cheap on DVD. It’s also available via streaming on Hulu last time I checked. You could also buy it digitally.

Here are some soundtrack selections:

Information High
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0rxpQI0ZbY&index=2&list=PLX4uYav3TCevLIfPM74h4kfAS24lRdHvw

After In The Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3aAXOt9L0&list=PLX4uYav3TCevLIfPM74h4kfAS24lRdHvw&index=3

Welcome to Sparefish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2XCq_1UNyY&list=PLX4uYav3TCevLIfPM74h4kfAS24lRdHvw&index=4

Any Macross Plus fans in the house?

Can you believe it’s been 20 years?

I watched this on Netflix a few years back (at least I think it was on Netflix).

Then I ended up renting the DVD several times from the library.

I wish more Macross stuff would get released here. Stupid Harmony Gold.

Kite

I still have my original Macross Plus DVDs, still my favorite Macross series closely followed by Macross: Do You Remember Love. Before Yoko Kanno became famous for hermusic in Cowboy Bebop I fell in love with her music from Macross Plus and Escaflowne.

novenD

This reminded me we are never getting a US release of Macross 7

Or Do You Remember Love. :(

I saw this for the first time a couple years ago, and I've probably watched it another three times or so since then. I've shown it to some people who've never really watched an anime and they still enjoyed it; it's just top notch stuff all around.

It's too bad the soundtrack hasn't seen a digital re-release yet, I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

This soundtrack was probably my most listened to CD in high school. I actually saw the OAVs on pay-per-view on satellite TV when the dub was first released. That was fun trying to ask my parents for permission to order it and trying to explain what it was without seeming like too much of a weirdo (and thank god I went through my anime phase before all of the moe stuff took over lol).

Listening to this cover gave me some nice chills lately: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9V1k2WWKY

Anyone cop the Japanese Blus? How's the transfer?
Took this picture a while ago

cmXiFZM.jpg

It's a quality set but not many folks would spend $300 on it. The OVA is dubbed and the film version is subbed but they are shoddy. Has some other books and stuff on it. The transfers themselves are quality and much better than the DVDs.

One of my favourite anime.

Also, it took me roughly ten listens of Idol Talk to catch all that dirty dirty talk going on in the background. I was too busy enjoying the rest of the song to notice, I guess.

entremet

Took this picture a while ago

cmXiFZM.jpg

It's a quality set but not many folks would spend $300 on it. The OVA is dubbed and the film version is subbed but they are shoddy. Has some other books and stuff on it. The transfers themselves are quality and much better than the DVDs.

One of my favourite anime.

Is it that pricey because of rarity? I know anime pricing is insane in Japan.

You'd think a popular OVA like Macross Plus would be in print longer, but that looks like a special edition.

Damn, I didn't know the anniversary was around now. I actually just happened to load up my copy of the OVA onto my laptop's hard drive to watch on a trip (which I'm currently on), funny how that worked out. Will definitely watch it tomorrow.

Is it that pricey because of rarity? I know anime pricing is insane in Japan.

You'd think a popular OVA like Macross Plus would be in print longer, but that looks like a special edition.
No idea if this is the First Press version or the normal Bluray box but yeah, anime (and Japanese bluray) pricing in full effect. It was worth it to me in any case.

entremet

No idea if this is the First Press version or the normal Bluray box but yeah, anime (and Japanese bluray) pricing in full effect. It was worth it to me in any case.

I might have to bite the bullet and get it at some point. The animation is too good to settle for SD. Sucks that it's dub only for the OVA, which is my preferred format of the series.

Kvik

I loved Isamu's dogfight in the first 5 minutes. Sadly I didn't care much for Guld's redemption in the last 1/3 of the OVA.

The Blu Ray transfer was glorious in the JP release though. Definitely a must have for Macross fans, although personally I'm more fond of Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

This thread reminded me that I even own these. I just pulled them out of a closet in a storage bin of old CD's and DVD's.

Time to re-watch.

(sorry for crap pic quality)

20150823_220102q7ulu.jpg

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I saw Macross Plus earlier in the year for the first time and liked it, but didn't love it. Aerial fights are something else, and Information Highway is a jam, but the characters did nothing for me.

Man... Macross plus were the first VHS tapes I ever tried buying a whole set of. I remember going to a video kiosk in my local mall and always trying to get it from them. They never had the complete set in stock. Think I only have 2 or 3 tapes out of the 4(?) now.

Still one of the most memorable anime's I ever watched.

Kite

lol after reading this thread I went looking for my old Macross Plus dvds and instead found my old vhs tapes.. I feel old now, forgot I bought these with my allowance..

zTeJmax.jpg

YaGaMi

I remember being wowed by the trailers 20 years ago. Only a few days ago I YouTubed Voices. An all time classic.

Percy

Banned
Genuinely fantastic series. Easily one of the best pieces of anime ever produced imo. Incredible soundtrack as well, I've had the OST saved on every media player I've owned over the last decade.

One word of advice though is to watch the OVA/series rather than the movie edit of it. Both are good, but the OVA version is much better.

Ronin

I remember first seeing it on the anime block Encore Action used to run way back when I was in high school. Fell in love with it instantly. Bought the soundtrack and DVDs. I still listen to the soundtrack regularly.

Kanyon

Oh shit has it really been 20 years? Macross Plus was freaking God tier stuff - great visuals, great story, great music... Wipes away the bad taste that was Macross 2.

I remember paying about $100 just for the Volume 1 DVD back in, I think 2004 and it was worth every cent. Need to get my hands on that Bluray though, I need to see the animation in glorious HD.

tuffy

I guess there's no chance of getting the US dub in Bluray, ever?
Episodes 1-3 of the Japanese Blu Ray set have Manga's dub. Episode 4 was re-dubbed for that set which is a little jarring - probably due to an old feud between licensor and licensee and the fact that Manga Ent. doesn't really exist anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom