• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macross Plus 20th Anniversary (US release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working through a rewatch of Robotech at the moment, once I've done that I'm gonna redo Macross Plus, love me some Macross Plus, the soundtrack is god tier.

Draft

Walter White is Isamu Dyson is on the same level as Uncle Phil being Shredder/The Metallic Barbarian from FotNS.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Absolutely love Macross Plus. They don't make anime like this anymore do they? I haven't bothere with the butchered movie version, as the OVA is just perfect as is.

Sharon Apple was incredible, and her English voice was perfect, even better in the dub. I really want this on blu ray but just like Escaflowne, I doubt the English version will ever get released in North America :(

Garlador

To this day, I still alternate between Gundam 0083 and Macross Plus whenever I need my action-mech fix.

But Yoko Kanno makes all the difference.

phileep

Watched this as Manga was rolling out the VHS tapes. I was getting into anime by watching Sailor Moon on TV at the time, but Macross Plus is what got me super into anime for a few years. Just absolutely loved it. Of course I went on to also love Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop. Talking about all of these shows is making me really nostalgic and I'd love to watch all of them again. I fell out of anime in the early '00s, but I'll always have a huge soft spot for all of these shows. This series also got me hooked on Yoko Kanno's music.

Also, those Escaflowne gifs.... remember when anime had hand drawn mecha? Different days. They still look so great.

RangerBAD

I almost read this as Macross release in US. My heart! This was the first subtitled VHS that I bought, but I unfortunately bought the movie and not the OAVs. Of course it was great nonetheless. I saw the OAVs later on.

Seigyoku

I'm old. :(

But I can still sing all of Voices by heart and I can still credit it with some of the first Japanese words I learned.

And yeah, when Hatsune Miku got way popular my brother and I were like "omg, we have Sharon Apple..."

i grew up watching robotech on tv before school. this makes me feel real old

Same here. I would have to run home to make it on time. Robotech was a huge part of my childhood and ignited my love for animated drama.

So I don't care what he haters say. I love harmony Gold.

you speak as if this is a bad thing

seriously, be glad it stopped with Macross Plus. We got all the Macross that is worth having.
But dat hot blooded Basara J Rock. I honestly clicked on this thinking this would be an announcement of a Blu Ray version coming to the states, now I'm just heart broken.
It always annoys me when somebody doesn't link to a Sharon Apple song
Idol Talk

Firemind

It's like animated Top Gun except it's better in every way! As a kid I would always think how cool dogfights would be if the VF-11 would turn into reality. Why are you letting me down, technology?

RangerBAD

seriously, be glad it stopped with Macross Plus. We got all the Macross that is worth having.

We never got the original Macross either, just a bastardization of three Japanese animes that included part of Macross. No DYRL either. They could of managed that. And let's not mention the countless games and Macross skins we never got in Ace Combat Infinity. Thanks, Harmony Gold.

Edit: I was wrong about the original Macross. Still no DYRL though. Or Flashback 2012!

I pity those that can't appreciate the spectacle of Macross 7. Not to mention DYRL. This statement couldn't be more wrong really.

Macross Plus makes a great starter anime.

You gotta love that Yoko Kanno soundtrack.

"Starter anime" of course, means "possessed of a largely coherent plot, characters that act at least remotely similar to actual human beings, and a bare minimum of underage female characters walking around in their underwear."

I like starter anime.

We never got the original Macross either, just a bastardization of three Japanese animes that included part of Macross. No DYRL either. They could of managed that. And let's not mention the countless games and Macross skins we never got in Ace Combat Infinity. Thanks, Harmony Gold.

I thought ADV put out the original Macross on DVD with a dub here?

Because I sure as hell remember Vic Mignogna voicing Hikaru in the rips I have on my hard drive.

Also, obligatory
Sa hajimaruze SATURDAY NIGHT

And Sheryl Nome > everyone else who's not named Nekki Basara.

"Starter anime" of course, means "possessed of a largely coherent plot, characters that act at least remotely similar to actual human beings, and a bare minimum of underage female characters walking around in their underwear."

I like starter anime.

One shouldn't watch Macross Plus for its writing, it's probably the worst of the series when it comes to that.

I remember getting my Rightstuf catalog, and seeing an entry that a new Macross was coming out, and freaking out. Ordered it on VHS, and its had a special place in my heart ever since.

So they did. I'm surprised though with Harmony Gold.

Harmony Gold has no issue with more Macross in the US, as long as they have their stamp on it due to what their contract says/states. The problem with DYRL goes beyond HG and Big West due to the contract for that is even FAR MORE COMPLICATED that unraveling it is a massive headache in itself. The DYRL merchindising rights were their own subset owned by Tatsunoko that they snapped up in 2004 (and they stated at AX that year that no one else asked for them when HG learned of them and requested them). But the video and music are owned by several other companies.

We came so close to getting Macross Zero. HG gave their blessing to ADV but Big West pulled out at the last moment. We also nearly got the Macross 7 Trash manga with HG announced at Comic Con 03 (I was there) and it was on their website before Big West had it pulled.

And just so that others know Southern Cross and Mospeada have had their releases, both in video (Robotech Perfect Collection in the 90s, along with Macross) and on dvd. Hell, ADV gave them the remastering process for better picture for the dvd release.

RangerBAD

Harmony Gold has no issue with more Macross in the US, as long as they have their stamp on it due to what their contract says/states. The problem with DYRL goes beyond HG and Big West due to the contract for that is even FAR MORE COMPLICATED that unraveling it is a massive headache in itself. The DYRL merchindising rights were their own subset owned by Tatsunoko that they snapped up in 2004 (and they stated at AX that year that no one else asked for them when HG learned of them and requested them). But the video and music are owned by several other companies.

We came so close to getting Macross Zero. HG gave their blessing to ADV but Big West pulled out at the last moment. We also nearly got the Macross 7 Trash manga with HG announced at Comic Con 03 (I was there) and it was on their website before Big West had it pulled.

And just so that others know Southern Cross and Mospeada have had their releases, both in video (Robotech Perfect Collection in the 90s, along with Macross) and on dvd. Hell, ADV gave them the remastering process for better picture for the dvd release.

So Big West was the problem then?

So Big West was the problem then?

My understanding it there's a bunch of legalities. I'll devulge in them when I get home.

The short version is Tatsunoko's wording of contract that it sold to HG back in the 1980s seemed to give more than what was supposed to (and at the time there were intially not going to be any Macross sequeles/derivitives/etc).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
maxresdefault.jpg

<snip>

Well, all I can say entrement, is that you have just moved to the very top of the list as one of my favorite posters here on the NeoGaf forum. Such a well written post and excellently summarized. I can tell you love this show just as much as I do. Much respect from a fellow passionate fan of this series.

Yes, if you've haven't already figured it out, Macross Plus is my favorite anime of all time! I mean of...**ALL**....time!!!! Period. End of story. It's where I got my name from, and everyone who knows me knows I've been using this username on the internet across many different message boards for 15 plus years and that will never change.

This show scarred my 22yr old mind for life upon watching it for the first time back in 1995. To say I was blown away by the visuals and ridiculous music score is an understatement. No other anime comes close! It is the quintessential anime and if my love and respect for Shoji Kawamori wasn't already at an all time high because of the original SDF Macross TV series, then Mac+ pushed it over the edge.

Thankfully, I have been fortunate enough to have met all the major players involved in Macross Plus, during their visit to Anime Expo many years ago. I've met Shoji Kawamori, Yoko Kanno, Takumi Yamazaki(VA for Isamu), and Rica Fukami(VA for Myung). All great people.

Hope they release Macross Plus on bluray here in the US, and I hope the new Macross will be good. Fingers crossed.

entremet

Well, all I can say entrement, is that you have just moved to the very top of the list as one of my favorite posters here on the NeoGaf forum. Such a well written post and excellently summarized. I can tell you love this show just as much as I do. Much respect from a fellow passionate fan of this series.

Yes, if you've haven't already figured it out, Macross Plus is my favorite anime of all time! I mean of...**ALL**....time!!!! Period. End of story. It's where I got my name from, and everyone who knows me knows I've been using this username on the internet across many different message boards for 15 plus years and that will never change.

This show scarred my 22yr old mind for life upon watching it for the first time back in 1995. To say I was blown away by the visuals and ridiculous music score is an understatement. No other anime comes close! It is the quintessential anime and if my love and respect for Shoji Kawamori wasn't already at an all time high because of the original SDF Macross TV series, then Mac+ pushed it over the edge.

Thankfully, I have been fortunate enough to have met all the major players involved in Macross Plus, during their visit to Anime Expo many years ago. I've met Shoji Kawamori, Yoko Kanno, Takumi Yamazaki(VA for Isamu), and Rica Fukami(VA for Myung). All great people.

Hope they release Macross Plus on bluray here in the US, and I hope the new Macross will be good. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words.

So that's where your nickname originates from? Never put two and two together.

Okay, a bit of a history lesson here.

In the early 1980s Big West needs extra funding to do Macross and Tatsunoko is the one that they chose to go with. Among the agreements is that Tatsunoko can give distribution rights.

In 1983/1984 these rights are bought by Harmony Gold to distribute Macross outside of Japan. There is wording in this that is said to include derivatives based on Macross in the contract.

At about the same timeframe rights are sold to FASA who want to use designs in their Battletech Mechwarrior game.

1984 HG decides to shelve releasing Macross directly to home video and push it to go on television. Needing 65 episodes minimum for a weekly run Carl Macek is brought in and Southern Cross and Mospeada are packaged and altered to fit one timeline, Robotech.

1985 Robotech airs.

1990s Many of Harmony Gold's staff for their entertainment division are poached by Saban Entertainment. The majority of them go to work on the original Power Rangers. This period is known as "Nobody minding the store". It is during this timeframe that Macross II is brought over by US Renditions and Macross Plus by Manga Entertainment with no challenge.

Early to mid 1990s. FASA sues Playmates over the Robotech toys that were going back into circulation under the Exo Squad banner. FASA loses the challenge when Harmony Gold is brought in and is found out that the one who sold them their contract in the 1980s never had the rights to it to begin with. Details here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRy_n7gpDM&t=6m41s

Late 1990s, circa 98-99. New staff at HG is hired specifically for Robotech and HG begins to go over their rights.

Toycom is given a C&D order and cannot bring their Macross toys over legally without getting the go ahead from them first. Word goes back to Big West over legalities.

Big West sues Tatsunoko. Please note that Harmony Gold has nothing to do with this lawsuit other than bringing up the question of how much leeway Tatsunoko had over the rights for licensing. Wording seems to be broad.

It has also been speculated that HG has to go after these breeches within a certain timeframe or they lose the rights to do so.

There have been counter-suits since. The only thing gleamed from this is that Big West has the rights to the artwork from what I remember. When this will be resolved we do not know.

Harmony Gold has no issue with more Macross products abroad, but due to the legality that they believe they have under what was granted to them by Tatsunoko they want their logo on whatever release comes out. That's pretty much it, and in the past more Macross product was to come, but BW pulled the plug on them.

At Comic Con 2003 (which I attended) during the Robotech Panel they announced that Tokyopop was to release the manga Macross 7 Trash and even had it on Robotech.com. Big West pulled the plug on that as it was around the time of the legal battle in Japan.

ADV was going to attempt to license Macross Zero and Big West told them to go to HG. HG said yes and Big West balked (as likely did not want to give HG any legitimacy that could hurt them in the courts). This is talked about in Chris Meadow's podcast Space Station Liberty when he had Tommy Yune on as a guest:

http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TS-8042.mp3

It's about halfway through when it comes up.

Macross DYRL is a fucking mess legal wise, even before Tatsunoko vs Big West started. They do not know how that international dub came out but it'll be the only one that comes out at this time. Not even HG is sure who owns what portions other than when someone tries to license it everyone will come out of the woodwork. Oddly enough, they found out Tatsunoko had the legality for merchandise so they snapped that up (which is why you see HG backed DYRL merch out). When they were asked by fans why didn't anyone else get those rights HG said that Tatsunoko told them no one else asked.

As for Macross 7 the two big issues (not including the third which is Tatsunoko vs Big West) which kept licensors away before that particular mess was that they had to pay for two licenses, as the animation and music were being shopped separately, and from what I remember Robert Woodhead of Animeigo complaining about at the Macross panel at AX '99 was that the music rights costs exceeded that of the animation for interested parties in the US. Due to that unless there was a guarantee that M7 would make it big in the US it was a property that was not likely to be touched.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The best Macross ever, bar none. I prefer the OVA overall but I think the movie has the better ending.

tuffy

Why are anime rights so wacky?

Isn't EVA suck in license hell right now too?
Macross TV's rights are especially wacky because it went through production hell in order to get made at all.

Evangelion's ownership is pretty clear-cut by comparison, but its releases are bound to the licensor's whims. But it sold well for a long time so it's likely to be back in print in NA sooner or later.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

I pity those that can't appreciate the spectacle of Macross 7. Not to mention DYRL. This statement couldn't be more wrong really.

Agreed. Enron I'm sorry but you're borderline trolling with those hateful comments about Mac 7 bro. Mac 7 isn't a masterpiece but it's FAR from bad, let alone "not worth having". Basara, Mylene, and the rest of the characters are great and their development throughout the show was done extremely well. I've seen Mac 7 twice and would recommend it to anyone.

And lol, I won't even touch your comment about Frontier being worse than 7. Frontier is superb!

andymcc

Banned
is it popular to hate on DYRL now...

i love it even if it is too compressed. so nice looking.

plus is alright too.

massoluk

Banned
is it popular to hate on DYRL now...

i love it even if it is too compressed. so nice looking.

plus is alright too.

Still loving DYRL. If I'm charge of making a Macross movie, I'll probably just use DYRL as storyboard and added a few scenes in to smooth things out.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I watched this back in 2007 or maybe 2008 I think? I was pretty much broken out of my Shounen phase by then and heading into deeper territory but still hadn't seen all that much at the time, I honestly don't remember too much about it so I may be due for a re-watch I think I watched it in Japanese too so I never heard Bryan Cranston as Isamu. Does the dub hold up in the year 2015?

tuffy

I watched this back in 2007 or maybe 2008 I think? I was pretty much broken out of my Shounen phase by then and heading into deeper territory but still hadn't seen all that much at the time, I honestly don't remember too much about it so I may be due for a re-watch I think I watched it in Japanese too so I never heard Bryan Cranston as Isamu. Does the dub hold up in the year 2015?
I think it holds up well, myself. Cranston's Isamu, Richard Epcar's Guld, and Dan Woren's Yang all work really well together. Myung's casting doesn't feel quite as strong, but nothing cringe-inducing either. It's worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom