• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Foggy

Pure, uncut filmmaking from an aging genre veteran, which in itself is a damn miracle. How Miller and Scorsese have the energy to make the films they're making at their age is astonishing. And this movie is about as pure as it gets when it comes to cinematic storytelling. You won't need subtitles for this movie no matter where you're from. Now for the reason you will be seeing this movie, the action, it's in a class of its own. Imaginative, visceral, beautiful, chaotic, coherent, and (mostly)real. Miller has said if this movie isn't better than the previous movies then it means he hasn't learned anything in the interim. Everything's too fresh in my mind to say where it lands in the series, but it does show that he can craft an incredibly dense world that doesn't force itself to collapse underneath its own weight. A concept artist was one of the co-writers for the film and it shows, but I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

In short, go see this movie! I don't care about comparisons to Fast & Furious, Kingsman, Raid, or whatever the hell else will come up in comparison to this film. It's an amazing opportunity to see a big-budget film that is bursting with creative energy. We just flat-out don't get to see movies like that anymore these days.

ezekial45

Banned
Some neat posters that are making the rounds.

CEnPpuSUMAAdjTr.jpg

CEnPtPZUIAAF5-k.jpg

CEnPuVTUIAIpfRH.jpg

CEnPqaPUUAAAz17.jpg:large

Timeaisis

For the record, I didn't notice the under cranking at all. The action in the film is freaking incredible. I can't think of any negatives, to be honest. But I'm still riding the high.

Honestly, I haven't been this engaged in watching a movie since god knows when. It's fucking great and I'll rewatch immediately when it comes out officially.

I don't mind answering some stuff if you guys are curious, but I'd really advise your to go on as fresh as you can.

Snaku

Banned
I have work in four hours so I'll keep this brief. George Miller just gave the world a master thesis on action filmmaking in Mad Max: Fury Road. It's roaring, thrilling, and will leave its mark on you by the end. Very few films have ever moved me the way Fury Road has, and none of those films have ever come from the action genre. Every shot of the unending carnage is beautifully framed, the music perfectly complimented the visuals, the world building was extraordinary, the characters felt more human than most films I've seen in the last twenty years, and I was teary eyed by the end. I turned to my sister when the credits began to roll, who doesn't even like action films, and the first words out of her mouth were, "That was incredible."

She was right.

Foggy

Halfway through one of the many setpieces, I noticed I was clenching my wallet very hard. It's something else, man.

I haven't seen the movie, just the trailers, and I've noticed every instance of undercranking. And I like it. Because that's part of the style in these movies. If anything, I was happy to see it come back.

Yeah, it's definitely in there. It's not a primary tool or anything like that but it is certainly noticeable. But it's not like it's used to make fights look faster, it's used to aid the frenetic rhythm of the movie.

Timeaisis

I haven't seen the movie, just the trailers, and I've noticed every instance of undercranking. And I like it. Because that's part of the style in these movies. If anything, I was happy to see it come back.

Maybe it just didn't bother me. I don't really notice subtle things when I like them lol. if that makes any sense.

All I know is the action flowed really, really well. There wasn't any instance even I thought one shot was abrupt or slow or fast.

Snaku

Banned
Halfway through one of the many setpieces, I noticed I was clenching my wallet very hard. It's something else, man.

I know what you mean, I caught myself holding my breath three times during the film. I wonder how many times it happened without me noticing.

Timeaisis

I know what you mean, I caught myself holding my breath three times during the film. I wonder how many times it happened without me noticing.

Yup. One of the few movies I've seen recently where I've noticed I was anxious and visibly clutching my arm rests at tense moments lol. Shit gets crazy. And I mean insane.

Pickman

Folks who have seen it: was the 3D decent? It's playing RPX at my local Regal, but only in 3D. If the post production was crap, I'll go watch it in 2D and just suffer.

Truant

Extremely vague near-the-end spoilers about a thing me and my friends noticed. It's almost too good to be a coincidence, but it probably is.

The irony of a certain scene in this film coupled with the lead actor and a certain dialogue exchange in a certain Batman movie is palpable.

The problem with avoiding 3D on this means missing out on a Dbox experience. The 3D version is getting the special treatment at the theaters around me.

Savitar

Got to wait another two weeks before I'm able to see the movie, out of the next Jurassic Park movie, the Avengers and whatever else is out at the time this is the must see film.

Snaku

Banned
Harry Knowles said the embargo got moved up to Monday Morning

apparently the movie is godlike, might as well let people know

Harry's hype levels were at their maximum last night. Glad they wisened up and moved the embargo up, early word of mouth is only going to help this movie. I can't imagine anybody having a bad thing to say about it.

The movie is godlike.

bengraven

Under-cranking is a trope made legendary by the earlier films - would not be mad at all about it.

these plonkers will probably camp for Jurassic World, so just lose them

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down here. I'm personally hyped the fuck up for both. Mad Max because it looks genuinely awesome and JW because I'm a huge JP fan and I personally think it looks fantastic.

Timeaisis

Harry Knowles said the embargo got moved up to Monday Morning

apparently the movie is godlike, might as well let people know

Knowles was like a kid in a candy store last night. I know he gets excited about everything, but this was another level.

He was shaking after it was over lol.

Simo

Under-cranking is a trope made legendary by the earlier films - would not be mad at all about it.

Yeah, I only noticed one blatant use of it and thought it was more of a nod to the previous films.

Knowles was like a kid in a candy store last night. I know he gets excited about everything, but this was another level.

He was shaking after it was over lol.

Haha thats awesome. It's good they're ending the embargo early, I mean it sounds like Devin, Drew, Harry and all the usual suspects loved it so let these guys and others shout off the rooftops so some good WOM can get going around from the reviews.

Alright, haven't had a chance to post my impressions until now.

It's fucking insane.

The movie is a masterwork in action cinema. There are a lot of smaller scenes in between, but for the most part, that's it, and it's perfect. I heard this being compared to The Raid for chase/vehicular combat, although I guess it's more of a simple return to/evolution of form for George Miller.

It's not perfect, but go see it. Buy a ticket. Do it.

Zimmer put a track up from the OST. I think it's pretty great...

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1288#

The entire movie used that strings/drums section, but I am pretty sure this song plays during the second chase and holy shit, it was AMAZING.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The problem with avoiding 3D on this means missing out on a Dbox experience. The 3D version is getting the special treatment at the theaters around me.

Dbox would be awesome in this movie, but the 3D was far too distracting in a bad way for the Dbox to be worth it.

KalBalboa

Banned

The last time that happened with me was when I caught Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. The IMAX shot Dubai scene had me holding my breath for a few shots.

Can't wait to catch Fury Road.

All my friends think this looks dumb.

Fiancee doesn't care to pay the extra dough to see it in theaters.

Looks like I'm going alone. Last movie I went alone to? John Wick. Let's keep this kickass streak going.

Top Bottom