• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

Simo, how would you rate this out of 10?

Wednesday night? 10/10 but thats because I came out of that screening on the high and loved every minute of it so thats to be expected. Now? Probably the same but I want to see the film a few more times when it opens next week to really say.

Not to delve in spoilers but you all might be surprised by how strong the women roles are in this. I mean even the "Wives" aren't just "damsels in distress Macguffins" which was a surprise and each has their own strong character and are pretty defiant even when meeting Max. That's all I say.

Also there's a group of characters you don't know about that the trailers never touched on and were a great highlight for the film!

Wednesday night? 10/10 but thats because I came out of that screening on the high and loved every minute of it so thats to be expected. Now? Probably the same but I want to see the film a few more times when it opens next week to really say.

Not to delve in spoilers but you all might be surprised by how strong the women roles are in this. I mean even the "Wives" aren't just "damsels in distress Macguffins" which was a surprise and each has their own strong character and are pretty defiant even when meeting Max. That's all I say.

Also there's a group of characters you don't know about that the trailers never touched on and were a great highlight for the film!
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with how all the women were portrayed in this film. This movie is
a feminist film through and through, but without having a blatant and obnoxious agenda.
It's a wonderful thing and it deserves to be celebrated.

Bold One

Not seen a single trailer but all the posters here have Theron and Hardy front and centre,

the shaved head look really works for Theron, like a lot....

dave_m123

New poster, final?, released:
1417820_672048706233987_4076824778214239268_o.jpg

God damn Tom Hardy is fit!

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with how all the women were portrayed in this film. This movie is
a feminist film through and through, but without having a blatant and obnoxious agenda.
It's a wonderful thing and it deserves to be celebrated.

I hope this creates buzz for the film (in a good way obviously).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Simo, how much ass does Max kick in the movie? Is he appropriately ass-kicking, like, are there at least a couple scenes when he kicks copious amounts of Aussie asses?

Simo

Simo, how much ass does Max kick in the movie? Is he appropriately ass-kicking, like, are there at least a couple scenes when he kicks copious amounts of Aussie asses?

Yes and yes! The stuff that's inflicted upon him and what he inflicts upon others is brutal. There's a great in the middle set at night time that sets up Max to be this deadly bad ass!

Miami Herald posted this article that's like half review and half Q&A from Miller during the press screening last week so be wary of spoilers if you read it:
http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/article20487258.html
Mad Max: Fury Road, which opens May 15, delivers the same rush as The Road Warrior did while ramping up the action to IMAX-sized dimensions (this one is even crazier, as well as the best entry in the series by far). The film, which cost a reported $100 million, has a propulsive energy and outrageous creativity lacking in most studio productions of this scale: The movie is full-on bonkers in the best, most exhilarating way, and it delivers the kind of sustained adrenaline rush that is hard to find in the multiplex today, where action films are comprised of several big setpieces strung together by scenes of dialogue and exposition.

liquidtmd

Banned
where action films are comprised of several big setpieces strung together by scenes of dialogue and exposition.

My biggest beef with movies today. You can almost see the mathematical formula for their construction.

Please lord let this be good.

AS THE WORLD FELL

iRXmDkQX6tTxR.gif

EACH OF US IN OUR OWN WAY WAS BROKEN.

iQ3SYn6pY16TT.gif

IT WAS HARD TO KNOW WHO WAS MORE CRAZY;

WebbedExaltedHarvestmen.gif

ME, OR EVERYONE ELSE

iyWBbnVz1ShVw.gif

i can't stop watching these trailers pls send help

The trailers did nothing for the woman I'm dating. She thought they looked merely OK, specifically the one that aired before F&F7. I'm pretty sure it's the one that opens with the cave or tunnel. When I told her that is more of a movie about the women, Charlize and co. kicking ass she warmed up to it.

Have the commercials been pushing that angle of it?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It seems standalone.
IThe Interceptor is back in this one as I understand

I guess its just one story in Max's life and not chronological?
It's one of many legends of Max, as recorded in the word burgers of the history men.
The trailers did nothing for the woman I'm dating. She thought they looked merely OK, specifically the one that aired before F&F7. I'm pretty sure it's the one that opens with the cave or tunnel. When I told her that is more of a movie about the women, Charlize and co. kicking ass she warmed up to it.

Sadly no. WB don't seem to realise how zeitgeist this aspect of the film is. There's a lot of pent-up demand for female action heroes.

zulfate

Part 2 and 3 of mad am had strong females, I love it because it reminds me of ancient Germanic women who were tougher than the men in war.

Edit: mad am was an accident but it fits my post lol

sn00zer

Saw Mad Max and Thunderdome for years and never saw Road Warrior. Just picked it up the other day, hope it still stands.

Of the 12 people I'm bringing to the theater on opening weekend, 5 of them are women, and all of them IMMEDIATELY wanted to go after seeing the Teaser Trailer (the one with Dies Irae in it).

It was INSTANT, honestly.

(they all are hyped as hell about Jurassic World, too)

zulfate

A lot of people I know are excited more for Jurassic world than mad max, I am sorry but it just doesn't look that good :/

Moff

I used to be pretty hyped for this, the trailers look spectacular, but I'm starting to think it's mostly an action movie with battling cars on a road. I am aware that the title probably gives that away quite obviously, but I probably just realized it's not really something that excites me that much.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I used to be pretty hyped for this, the trailers look spectacular, but I'm starting to think it's mostly an action movie with battling cars on a road. I am aware that the title probably gives that away quite obviously, but I probably just realized it's not really something that excites me that much.
Have you seen Mad Max 2?

Simo

It's one of many legends of Max, as recorded in the word burgers of the history men.

Sadly no. WB don't seem to realise how zeitgeist this aspect of the film is. There's a lot of pent-up demand for female action heroes.

The whole film is full of strong women roles honestly including a group of characters you guys know nothing about that the trailers haven't spoilt and are a terrific highlight of the film.

Of the 12 people I'm bringing to the theater on opening weekend, 5 of them are women, and all of them IMMEDIATELY wanted to go after seeing the Teaser Trailer (the one with Dies Irae in it).

It was INSTANT, honestly.

(they all are hyped as hell about Jurassic World, too)

Minor spoiler: that track is actually in the film! lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My biggest beef with movies today. You can almost see the mathematical formula for their construction.

Please lord let this be good.

the lord can't help you with this one. because there is nothing to worry about. tis good.

Short *non-spoiler* write up:

It's exactly what everyone is expecting it to be. George Miller with an insane budget and full creative control. It's nuts in the best way possible and relentless in the action department. The 3rd act is glorious and I'm sure, right now, its going to be a cult classic of humongous proportions. I'm also very very curious to see how the demographics split on this. It's going to be divisive with some crowds, but for spectacular reasons.

I don't want to give action set pieces away or motivations so I'll wait till the 14th to really get into the nitty gritty of it, but I loved it. In the same way that I love Dredd. It's that kind of action movie. It's own language and style that it never wavers from or makes concessions to a mainstream audience. It knows who it is and what it wants to accomplish and it does so superbly.

Sorcerer

A lot of people I know are excited more for Jurassic world than mad max, I am sorry but it just doesn't look that good :/

The only way Jurassic World might be interesting is if Pratt calls in the Guardians and The Avengers to battle the Dino.

The premise of growing a hybrid doesn't seem to add a lot. It's just Jurassic Park 1,2,3 all over again.

Game4life

Banned

Yeah but a lot of people generally prefer shit. How can anyone look forward to Jurassic world more after seeing the trailers for both these movies side by side. This movie better not under perform if it is as good as people say it is.

Nibel

I mean yeah, people with bad eyes always existed and will always exist

Like how you gon' put Jurassic World above this is beyond me breh

It's exactly what everyone is expecting it to be. George Miller with an insane budget and full creative control. It's nuts in the best way possible and relentless in the action department. The 3rd act is glorious and I'm sure, right now, its going to be a cult classic of humongous proportions. I'm also very very curious to see how the demographics split on this. It's going to be divisive with some crowds, but for spectacular reasons.

I don't want to give action set pieces away or motivations so I'll wait till the 14th to really get into the nitty gritty of it, but I loved it. In the same way that I love Dredd. It's that kind of action movie. It's own language and style that it never wavers from or makes concessions to a mainstream audience. It knows who it is and what it wants to accomplish and it does so superbly.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Man, I'm so unbeievably excited for this movie. Gonna go with about 10 friends next weekend.

Simo

So dies irae and now this, is all of the trailer music actually in the film?

No. The "Comic Con" trailer music isn't in the film and also the second piece of music thats featured in the main trailer when it ramps up after that track, "Brothers in Arms"? Sadly it wasn't in the film either which has me wondering where it came from since all the other music in that trailer was from the score and I quite liked it.

Charlize-Theron-Tom-Hardy-Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Los-Angeles-Movie-Premiere-Red-Carpet-Dior-Alexander-McQueen-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-2.jpg

I just knew it! Charlize is taller than Tom.

Come to think of it, nearly the entire cast is taller than him
472458638.jpg

Small Max: Compact Road coming soon...

No. The "Comic Con" trailer music isn't in the film and also the second piece of music thats featured in the main trailer when it ramps up after that track, "Brothers in Arms"? Sadly it wasn't in the film either which has me wondering where it came from since all the other music in that trailer was from the score and I quite liked it.

Well, at least we got the Brothers in Arms track. I definitely need the OST for this movie.

ninjabat

I know for the bvs teaser Junkie XL said on twitter they specifically made that music just for the teaser. So maybe this is the same situation with mad max. So then that music will never be released on the ost.

Top Bottom