• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Does everyone who's seen Citizen Kane actually think it's the brilliant, best of all time masterpiece everyone says it is? I'm just curious because I feel like some people just go along with it but don't necessarily feel the same way.

I absolutely love it. Without a doubt one of the best of all time.

marrec

Banned
The domestic budget was $150M, wasn't it?

150m is the production budget (it was probably more TBH) which doesn't include other costs like advertising. Also the studio doesn't get 100% of ticket sales profits. You're looking at a film that probably cost them ~220m all told that's made them ~110m so far.

It's got a ways to go before it can be labeled as "profitable" and much further before it can be "successful".

CassSept

As much I love Kane and consider it very watchable, Casablanca definitely trumps it.

Casablanca is a much simpler affair though. Kane is a very complex movie with non-linear narrative, it's incredible that it holds up as well as it does, much more surprising than is the case for a play adaptation.

Both are still very much watchable despite the passage of time though so there's no point in arguing. Casablanca wins when it comes to watchability, but Kane is far more impressive and complex.

SpaceHorror

Casablanca is a much simpler affair though. Kane is a very complex movie with non-linear narrative, it's incredible that it holds up as well as it does, much more surprising than is the case for a play adaptation.

Both are still very much watchable despite the passage of time though so there's no point in arguing. Casablanca wins when it comes to watchability, but Kane is far more impressive and complex.

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear, but I agree. I think Kane is a better film, but Casablanca is more watchable.

pringles

As much I love Kane and consider it very watchable, Casablanca definitely trumps it.
That reminds me of that douche moderator at the Fury Road pressconference in Cannes. Reporter asked a question where he made a parallel to Casablanca's use of saying things with only eyes or body language and moderator felt a need to step in with a "comparing Casablanca to Mad Max is a stretch".. it really bothered me. Yeah, Fury Road is an action movie.. but it's a masterpiece nonetheless.

kitzkozan

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear, but I agree. I think Kane is a better film, but Casablanca is more watchable.

Being more watchable isn't relevant lol, but I understand the point of view. Citizen Kane is simply a visionary work, from the way the story is told to the brilliant "mise-en-scène". Let's go back in 1941, where just about no movie before even attempted to make a non linear narrative. Welles also firmly established his unique visual style at the age of 25 which is crazy (if Xavier Dolan is considered a little prodigy at 25, what about Welles back in his time period where the medium was relatively young).

Fury Road is a movie which should become another genre classic alongside Terminator 1, 2, Aliens and the like. It's a movie which will become watchable over and over again thanks to it's straightforward story and low amount of dialogue.

maharg

idspispopd

I think you're doing a huge disservice to Casablanca here. It being simpler and more focused does not make it worse or any less incredible. Basically half the major lines in the film are *still* recognizable parts of pop culture today. Watching it is like playing "spot the iconic line." IMO that's easily as impressive. Especially since it was basically written as it filmed. Calling it a stage adaptation is also doing it a disservice, as it's not like the film actually much resembles the play, and the play wasn't even produced. It's basically more accurate to call the play a rough first draft.

Citizen Kane may be a masterpiece of auteur vision, but Casablanca was a defining pop culture film. It's not that it's more watchable in the moment, but that it's easily one of the, if not the, most accessible and enduring films made in that period or before (or, arguably, for quite a while after).

I don't understand this need to drag one thing down to bring another thing up. Both films are incredible achievements for very different reasons.

SpaceHorror

I think you're doing a huge disservice to Casablanca here. It being simpler and more focused does not make it worse or any less incredible. Basically half the major lines in the film are *still* recognizable parts of pop culture today. Watching it is like playing "spot the iconic line." IMO that's easily as impressive. Especially since it was basically written as it filmed. Calling it a stage adaptation is also doing it a disservice, as it's not like the film actually much resembles the play, and the play wasn't even produced. It's basically more accurate to call the play a rough first draft.

Citizen Kane may be a masterpiece of auteur vision, but Casablanca was a defining pop culture film. It's not that it's more watchable in the moment, but that it's easily one of the, if not the, most accessible and enduring films made in that period or before (or, arguably, for quite a while after).

I don't understand this need to drag one thing down to bring another thing up. Both films are incredible achievements for very different reasons.

Bringing this back to Mad Max...

6108_original.gif

Nafai1123

Banned
Saw it for the third time this weekend in 3D DBOX. Convinced a bunch of my friends to see it as well so I'm doing my part in getting a sequel funded!

Dbox was pretty awesome for this movie btw. Definitely worth checking out while it's still available. Even upon 3rd viewing the film still stands up and is up there with GOAT action films for me. The only disappointment was the screen was not that clean, which made the IQ a bit disappointing in 3d.

Subitai

I think Fury Road will hold up like the Road Warrior. We'll look back in 2045 and still be able to enjoy it without complaining about dated CG effects that will tarnish a lot of the big films coming out around the same time as it did.

zma1013

I think Fury Road will hold up like the Road Warrior. We'll look back in 2045 and still be able to enjoy it without complaining about dated CG effects that will tarnish a lot of the big films coming out around the same time as it did.

Oh for sure. It appears at first glance like a film that won't get dated simply because of how heavy on style it is and how all the practical effects are done perfectly.

CassSept

Oh sure. I actually have only watched Casablanca for the first time less than two months ago and I was surprised at how many quotes, how many scenes, how many motifs I recognized. There are dozens of scenes in the movie that are iconic.

I didn't mean to do it a disservice by calling it a play adaptation. I brought it up rather as a contrast to Citizen Kane. Casablanca is very much a play adaptation, a classic film that as far as writing goes is signifying of the age it was made in. The narrative is linear and easy to follow, there are few locations visited, majority of the action consists of dialogues by a handful of characters at Rick's, every single line carefully enunciated. On the other hand, Kane is a sprawling narrative spanning decades featuring multitude of characters at different stages of their respective lives. That doesn't mean it is inherently better, as it could easily get bogged down in it's narrative (though Kane pulls that splendidly), but the point of my comparison was that Casablanca's script can be easily traced back to it's play roots (even if that play was, as you said, merely a rough draft), while Kane is something that could easily feel as plucked from a completely different era. Again, that doesn't mean it's inherently better, but I feel it is far more impressive due to it's ambition.

Both films have earned their right to be eternally remembered and recognized as being among the greatest. I didn't mean to drag down Casablanca in order to make Kane look better. Both of these movies deserve to be recognized, both deserve to be remembered, simply for different reasons, that might sometimes be, to some at odds. Kane's ambition doesn't mean Casablanca is worse. It's still a brilliant movie. As you said, both films are incredible achievements for very different reasons.

No sense to argue when we have another bona fide masterpiece on our hands here :)

Corpsepyre

Banned
Do You Realize Mad Max: Fury Road Is A Miracle?

Excellent article here. Do read through it fully. There are spoilers, so beware.

Some choice quotes.

'Mad Max: Fury Road should not exist. It should never have gotten made. It certainly shouldn’t be as awesome as it is. And yet somehow, against all odds, this impossible cinematic masterpiece is in theaters right now, in defiance of reality itself.\

'Do you know what Miller was doing before he returned to Mad Max? In the last 20 years, he has only directed three other movies: Happy Feet, a CG cartoon about a bunch of dancing penguins, Happy Feet Two, and Babe: Pig in the City. Three movies not just for kids, but for little kids. Movies that contain no action to speak of, no violence, and nothing in common with Fury Road.'

'But not only was Miller hired, he was given a massive $150 million budget and, more insanely, he seemingly also had complete creative control. You know who gets that deal? Practically no one. Maybe guys like Chris Nolan, who have churned out enough summer blockbusters over the years that the studio doesn’t feel the need to second-guess their every decision.'

'Mad Max: Fury Road shouldn’t exist. It shouldn’t have been possible. It certainly wasn’t plausible. Hollywood executives are paid to prevent this sort of potential disaster from ever happening. And yet somehow, one 70-year-old man who had been stuck directing children’s movies for two decades took a somewhat beloved franchise from the ‘80s and not only made one of the most badass movies of all time, but also created a legitimate masterpiece of the action genre.

If that’s not a miracle, I don’t know what is.'

More at the link.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Just came back from watching it a second time. Such a fantastic movie, holds up so well, second time around. It's quickly becoming one of my favourite movies, just everything about it is so good! I've rewatched the first two Mad Max movies inbetween the trips to the cinema and got a few of the references today, which was really cool.

Excellent article, indeed. There was a pretty good comment, a little below the article:
Miller was given the rights to Mad Max and Road Warrior by Warner Bros. as part of the deal to drop Justice League. They had no choice but to use Miller since he owned the rights to the character, world, etc. And considering how much money Miller has pulled in for WB with those animated ‘kids’ movies, he still had a lot of pull at WB. He probably even got the greenlight for Fury Road as part of the Justice League deal too. The man does hold an MD degree after all, so he’s not stupid....unlike the WB execs.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just came back from watching it a second time. Such a fantastic movie, holds up so well, second time around. It's quickly becoming one of my favourite movies, just everything about it is so good! I've rewatched the first two Mad Max movies inbetween the trips to the cinema and got a few of the references today, which was really cool.

Excellent article, indeed. There was a pretty good comment, a little below the article:

Haha, awesome.

I really want this movie to be more successful. Miller schooled Hollywood.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Haha, awesome.

I really want this movie to be more successful. Miller schooled Hollywood.
Oh, on that, we can most definitely agree! I've tried to do my part, seeing it twice and spreading the hype to whoever wants to listen/don't ignore me.

Hardy is apparently already attached to star in four more Mad Max movies and Miller got scripts for two of them. I really hope enough people go see Fury Road for that to happen.

Slixshot

Banned
So I'm bringing my girlfriend, 4 of my best friends and one of their girlfriends to see this tomorrow for their first time... and my third. I MUST MAKE THIS A BOX OFFICE SUCCESS
FOR VALHALLA!!!

Toxi

Banned
Loved this movie on rewatch and my friend loved it too. It is, as he described it, "the most metal movie in existence."

Calabi

Do You Realize Mad Max: Fury Road Is A Miracle?

Excellent article here. Do read through it fully. There are spoilers, so beware.

More at the link.

They didnt point out that Miller convinced the studio to give him a fully working speaker truck with a guitar flame thrower.

There's no reason why it has to work at all. They could have saved probably ten grand if it was just a static prop, but somehow George convinced them it had to work. I'd loved to have heard that conversation. His next trick will probably be to convince them he really needs it in his back garden.

if i were a sought after actor/director for WB i'd put it in my contract that I get one of the vehicles from this film lol. incredible stuff.

preferably the interceptor or nux's car

mantidor

Not need to even wait that long, as I mentioned I saw the avengers after it and the annoying cgi battles made me cringe.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Going for a third time tonight. Movie's most likely getting taken off here on Friday when San Andreas comes out. Just how it is in Pakistan. If I could, I'd watch it several more times.

Pilgrimzero

So Ive watched Max 1 and 2.

I liked 1 though it wasn't very post-apoc. And he really didn't do much until the last 20 min or so.

As for 2, talk about an early 80s movie. The good guys all wear white. The bad guys wear black ass-less chaps and bondage gear. The warrior woman with the long flowing hair. The blonde girl with her hair pulled over in that weird ponytail. The "cute" kid character.

And for the life of me I can't figure out why
the big bad boss decides to flat out ram the tanker, of course he was going to die.

Still need to give 3 a rewatch, though I recall from many many years past that I liked it.

But so far Fury is by far the best of the films.

Top Bottom