• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

BraXzy

Going watching tonight with my GF, my mate and his GF. I've never watched a Mad Max film and it doesn't look like the type of film my GF would watch but I'm intrigued by the trailers and reviews so fingers crossed we all like it.

Am I gonna be in the shit? xD

And for the life of me I can't figure out why
the big bad boss decides to flat out ram the tanker, of course he was going to die.

Dude tried to catch up with the tanker by boosting his car really fast, but he couldn't control it and ended up crashing into the tanker.
That's what I got from the scene, btw.

Simo

Excellent article, indeed. There was a pretty good comment, a little below the article:

Actually he was given the rights if he dropped out of directing Contact. Miller spoke about his vision of Contact recently including how it was one of the highlights of his career to work with Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan on the script for a year:
http://collider.com/contact-george-miller-reveals-his-version-of-movie-was-like-interstellar/

I think I'm watching this for the fifth and final time Thursday. Nothing will top the D-Box experience and since it's not playing on that format anymore nothing is really comparing to it. lol

3phemeral

Finally saw this and after the initial "wtf am i watching" wore off, I thoroughly enjoyed the over-the-topness of the whole thing. Charlize <3

ogbg

And for the life of me I can't figure out why
the big bad boss decides to flat out ram the tanker, of course he was going to die.

I think the implication was that he didn't see Max coming over the crest of the hill but they should have shot it so that it didn't look like he had so much time to get out of the way.

oktarb

Just saw this last night. I could go on and on about how fantastic this movie is but I'll just leave this one thought that seems to stand out in reflection.

As over the top the movie could be the directors use of restraint really does a wonderful job of glue everything together. A movie with a two story rock stage swinging a flame throwing guitarist...shines due to its restraint.

Wilton Silver Color Mist
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KTVG86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Check the reviews OMG LOLOL

mad_max_fury_road_shiny_and_chrome_by_digi_matrix-d8v0b8g.gif

Christine

Got the art book. It's awesome.

The gates of Valhalla were supposed to open for me a third time on Monday, but I was not awaited. Going to try again tonight.

TheUsual

Gold Member
This movie was incredible.

Just saw it for the second time today.

Guitar dude: your ability to keep rockin' it no matter what is going on was great!

Lorcain

Not need to even wait that long, as I mentioned I saw the avengers after it and the annoying cgi battles made me cringe.
Same. I saw Avengers the next night and it was a let down after seeing Fury Road. I never realized how much I've accepted heavy cgi in movies until watching Mad Max.

Spray Miller's face in chrome and witness him. He's earned his place in movie Valhalla.

Do You Realize Mad Max: Fury Road Is A Miracle?

Excellent article here. Do read through it fully. There are spoilers, so beware.

Some choice quotes.

'Mad Max: Fury Road should not exist. It should never have gotten made. It certainly shouldn’t be as awesome as it is. And yet somehow, against all odds, this impossible cinematic masterpiece is in theaters right now, in defiance of reality itself.\

'Do you know what Miller was doing before he returned to Mad Max? In the last 20 years, he has only directed three other movies: Happy Feet, a CG cartoon about a bunch of dancing penguins, Happy Feet Two, and Babe: Pig in the City. Three movies not just for kids, but for little kids. Movies that contain no action to speak of, no violence, and nothing in common with Fury Road.'

'But not only was Miller hired, he was given a massive $150 million budget and, more insanely, he seemingly also had complete creative control. You know who gets that deal? Practically no one. Maybe guys like Chris Nolan, who have churned out enough summer blockbusters over the years that the studio doesn’t feel the need to second-guess their every decision.'

'Mad Max: Fury Road shouldn’t exist. It shouldn’t have been possible. It certainly wasn’t plausible. Hollywood executives are paid to prevent this sort of potential disaster from ever happening. And yet somehow, one 70-year-old man who had been stuck directing children’s movies for two decades took a somewhat beloved franchise from the ‘80s and not only made one of the most badass movies of all time, but also created a legitimate masterpiece of the action genre.

If that’s not a miracle, I don’t know what is.'

More at the link.

Has this person actually watched Babe: Pig in the City?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I havent gone in this hard on a movie soundtrack since Interstellar and Grand Budapest last year. Brothers in Arms is ridiculous.

"Stuck" making kids movies.

loved, respected, Oscar-winning box-office hit kids movies.

I wonder if Brad Bird wishes he'd stayed "stuck" making kids movies.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
At what number is this deemed a success? Already at $230million worldwide.

Linkhero1

Going to watch it a second time some time this week or early next week. Definitely worth the second viewing and I'm hoping that it does decently in box office over time.

The downlooking towards kids stuff always fascinates me. Are there any good articles on it?

I am curious about this as well. The long years of working at Blockbuster and Best Buy were filled with so many people that looked down on family films, and it was maddening. Now I put up with stuck up parents upset that I recommend graphic novels to their kids at my current job.

"Ugh, my kid has to read this for school? Aren't there real books on their list?"
*In my head* "Your kid will read Maus and Persepolis and they will like it!"

Dereck

Just read Maddox's review of this movie. Had no interest in seeing it till he gave it 100/5.

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah

For those that saw it, is it that good?
If I was a director in Hollywood right now, I'd be committing suicide because the contest is over. You not only lost by not making this movie, you came in dead last with every other idiot director who decided to make any movie that wasn't this. Put a noose around your neck, drown your children in a river and write your suicide note because there's no point in trying anymore. Better yet, skip the note because I'll be too busy watching this movie to read it. Goodbye, loser.

LOL

Maddocks

Bothers In Arms feels like you could play it at the same time in the docking scene in intersteller and it would be amazing and really hype up the "we need to get this done" feeling.

But overall the soundtrack is amazing and I can listen to every track back to back 5 times and never get bored. Damn, I need to see the movie again.

My wife is going for a girls night out viewing of this tomorrow with a fairly sizable group. She's so excited to see it a second time. I'm going this weekend for a fourth viewing, and I'm equally excited, as I'm going with two friends who haven't seen it yet.

That io9 article basically says what we've all been saying since we saw this damn movie.

How the fuck did it get made
And thank god it got made

Top Bottom