• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I've gotten frustrated with people saying this has paper-thin plot and no character development at this point. I lay it all out there and point out the problems with those lines of thinking, and the response I generally get is, "No, that's just wrong."

I just makes me sad that some are so groomed to expect exposition anvils beating them over the head instead of being able to understand scenes based on visuals alone. That picture above tells us so much about Splendid without needing any explanation in that moment, the moments after, or at all.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten frustrated with people saying this has paper-thin plot and no character development at this point. I lay it all out there and point out the problems with those lines of thinking, and the response I generally get is, "No, that's just wrong."

I just makes me sad that some are so groomed to expect exposition anvils beating them over the head instead of being able to understand scenes based on visuals alone. That picture above tells us so much about Splendid without needing any explanation in that moment, the moments after, or at all.

Some people are just too close minded, only sticking to their version of the facts, when confronted with arguments, they still will stubbornly stay with their position.

It's a shame, at least some can still enjoy the movie like you have.

Fantastic movie. Couldn't be any bigger, bolder and better.

So surreal, really. Some plots got obvious but overall it was a thrill and a chase from the first frame to the last.

As others have voiced: Thank god this exists! I couldn't stop grinning like a kid for a lot of scenes. A lot of cliches were harassed in this movie, and a lot of insane moments.

$500m according to kwiston

so RIP Mad Max the Wasteland

I wouldn't write it off just yet. A lot of these cult movies make a killing on blu ray sales.

I seem to recall stuff like Kick Ass and Pacific Rim disappointing at the box office but more than making up the difference with strong blu ray sales.

gabbo

I wouldn't write it off just yet. A lot of these cult movies make a killing on blu ray sales.

I seem to recall stuff like Kick Ass and Pacific Rim disappointing at the box office but more than making up the difference with strong blu ray sales.

Why are we evening writing it off at the box office? It's sticking around pretty well so far. Could get close to $300 before it drops outta the top 10

zma1013

Just read Maddox's review of this movie. Had no interest in seeing it till he gave it 100/5.

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah

For those that saw it, is it that good?

If I was a director in Hollywood right now, I'd be committing suicide because the contest is over. You not only lost by not making this movie, you came in dead last with every other idiot director who decided to make any movie that wasn't this. Put a noose around your neck, drown your children in a river and write your suicide note because there's no point in trying anymore. Better yet, skip the note because I'll be too busy watching this movie to read it. Goodbye, loser.

LOL

That's like a summary of the entire movie. Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Great read though, funny as hell.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just read Maddox's review of this movie. Had no interest in seeing it till he gave it 100/5.

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah

For those that saw it, is it that good?

The movie starts out with some Golem-looking dudes chasing some guy and you're thinking "what is this elf-lord mystic fantasy bullshit? I didn't sign up for this."

Honestly, I pretty much thought the same thing at first. I'm pretty sure it's what turned off my brother and father when we saw it.

Their loss.

maharg

idspispopd
Why are we evening writing it off at the box office? It's sticking around pretty well so far. Could get close to $300 before it drops outta the top 10

Anecdata and all that, but when I went to Tomorrowland on Tuesday (which was basically empty), after I left the theatre was packed with people who had just gotten out of Mad Max. I was pretty surprised.

Well, I wasn't writing off its box office performance, per se. The main crux of my argument is that fan favourite movies tend to enjoy disproportionately high blu ray sales, so even should Mad Max underperform at the box office, it's got a good shot at making a healthy profit on home media.

zma1013

Well, I wasn't writing off its box office performance, per se. The main crux of my argument is that fan favourite movies tend to enjoy disproportionately high blu ray sales, so even should Mad Max underperform at the box office, it's got a good shot at making a healthy profit on home media.

I will get whatever silly overpriced collector's edition Bluray box set no matter how ridiculous it is. Then I will probably get a regular edition of it too for when I wear out the disc from the other one.

Sawneeks

Banned
I almost backed out of seeing this movie today because I had no one to go with, but damn am I glad I went and saw it anyway. Best movie of the year so far! Now it's time to convince some friends to see it so I can have a good excuse to see it again. That and so they can WITNESS ME!!

Fuck.

How much does fucking Warner want a JLA movie that they would offer Miller this kind of severance package in his contract?

Sadly, that is a common excuse. Babe: Pig in the City is so wonderful and imaginative. As are many kids movies that a lot of people will dismiss for no good reason.

So many "why would I ever go to a PIXAR film?" posts on the internet.

I almost backed out of seeing this movie today because I had no one to go with, but damn am I glad I went and saw it anyway. Best movie of the year so far! Now it's time to convince some friends to see it so I can have a good excuse to see it again. That and so they can WITNESS ME!!
It is so fun to go with someone who hasn't seen it. They were losing their minds; it was like watching me watch it for the first time.

Movies don't magically stop making money once they are out of theaters, the blu-ray sales factor into it, as does the merchandise. Movies continue to make money as they hit pay-per-view, Netflix, Redbox, Cable, etc, and this film is only to going pickup more fans and therefore merchandise potential as it becomes more widely released.

As dumb as studios still are, they aren't completely blind to "cult classic masterpieces" as they once were. In a post MCU world, I'm sure they are completely aware of modern nerd culture and it's willingness to spend... heck I'd drop a grand on a hyper-detailed "Hot Toys" style Mad Max vehicle.

Sawneeks

Banned
It is so fun to go with someone who hasn't seen it. They were losing their minds; it was like watching me watch it for the first time.

I'm really trying to get a good friend of mine to see it because we have really similar taste in movies but he has no interest in seeing it. Won't even give it a shot. :(

Hopefully I can convince some others to go but with finals coming up it probably won't happen. Might just go see it again alone haha.

I'm really trying to get a good friend of mine to see it because we have really similar taste in movies but he has no interest in seeing it. Won't even give it a shot. :(

Hopefully I can convince some others to go but with finals coming up it probably won't happen. Might just go see it again alone haha.
Alone is fun, too. I convinced a female coworker of mine who's a big proponent of better female characters in Hollywood. Somehow, she hadn't head all of the positive feminist comments on this, so I brought he without bringing them up. She lost her mind over Furiosa, obviously, but when
the motorcycle grannies showed up,
it pushed her over the edge. She was in heaven.

zma1013

I have a friend who is into muscle cars, enjoys various forms of metal music, and Fallout 3 is one of his favorite games ever and doesn't have much of a desire to see it either. I'm sort of dumbfounded to be honest. It's like it was made for him but he said he was turned off by the trailers.

Sawneeks

Banned
Alone is fun, too. I convinced a female coworker of mine who's a big proponent of better female characters in Hollywood. Somehow, she hadn't head all of the positive feminist comments on this, so I brought he without bringing them up. She lost her mind over Furiosa, obviously, but when
the motorcycle grannies showed up,
it pushed her over the edge. She was in heaven.

I am totally with her on that, they were badass! It's really hard to pick a favorite section of the movie but the scenes with them are up there for me.

I have a friend who is into muscle cars, enjoys various forms of metal music, and Fallout 3 is one of his favorite games ever and doesn't have much of a desire to see it either. I'm sort of dumbfounded to be honest. It's like it was made for him but he said he was turned off by the trailers.

Yup. My friend loves the big, over-the-top action movies that are just fun from start to finish. We are both huge fans of the Marvel movies, Pacific Rim, and Godzilla and this movie is right up his alley with its'...everything, really. It's a shame, but I can understand it also. Movies are expensive, can't really go seeing every single one that looks 'sort of okay'.

CassSept

That's like a summary of the entire movie. Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Great read though, funny as hell.

Honestly, it's not like it matters that much for Mad Max. There are two moments I remember that can be spoilable*, but otherwise this is a movie that needs to be seen to be believed. Or rather, it just needs to be seen, period.

Splendid's death, the reveal that the bog was actually Green Place

JDSN

Banned
Damn, you guys are too cold roasting Bird and Lost writer guy like that.

Please continue. And make fun of Olivier Megaton too.

XBP

Just came back from watching the movie. This movie man, this fucking movie. I dont think I've enjoyed any action movie as much as this in the last few years at least. Every single thing in this was top notch and I have zero complaints.

I'm disappointed in myself that this was never on my radar and the only reason I went to watch it was the RT score. Hats off to george miller for making this and to everyone else involved in this film.

This is the first time in recent memory that the RT score of a movie has really driven it, box office wise. Maybe Gravity again?

Naturally this means Bobby is totally wrong about everything, especially propane and basketball. I am your new box office overlord!

Melon Husk

Just came back from watching the movie. This movie man, this fucking movie. I dont think I've enjoyed any action movie as much as this in the last few years at least. Every single thing in this was top notch and I have zero complaints.

I'm disappointed in myself that this was never on my radar and the only reason I went to watch it was the RT score. Hats off to george miller for making this and to everyone else involved in this film.

Yeah this is one of the reasons sequels get made, you have a brand after the first movie. The Wasteland could receive less acclamation from critics but make more at the box office. Hollywood accountants are hard at work at the behest of studio bosses, crunching those numbers right now.

Quick question regarding The Wasteland; is that the Furiosa movie that George has been talking about, or is this meant to star Max? Hell, is the Furiosa movie even still on the table?

PreFire

Watched it in 3d + reclining chairs. Awesome movie. My buddy said it was "whack" but I thought it was excellent.

Insane stunts.. If there was CGI involved you can't tell. Great craziness and camera angles.

I got a little headache though from the damn 3d glasses

Quick question regarding The Wasteland; is that the Furiosa movie that George has been talking about, or is this meant to star Max? Hell, is the Furiosa movie even still on the table?
As much as I love her character, I hope not. I like the idea of Max basically wandering into a brand new group of characters every movie.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The girl seems to be a new character explained in the new Comics being released soon

I just assumed it was supposed to be one of the kids from Beyond Thunderdome.
I hated the flashbacks and opening narration/montage. After the first minute or so I thought "Oh, no... this is going to be shit.".
Loved it overall, though.

As much as I love her character, I hope not. I like the idea of Max basically wandering into a brand new group of characters every movie.

I dunno; I feel that Furiosa still has stories left in her; either in terms of a prequel and her rise to the rank of Imperator or after the events of Fury Road,
since a story about maintaining order in the Citadel and naturing a civilization in a wasteland could be really interesting too.

overcast

Damn, that's a pretty high mark. I actually still need to see this damn thing one more time.

I got sick the other night when my friends wanted to see it.

Edit: Question, how's the Atmos as far as sound/immersion? Might check the movie out in the Arclight in San Diego on Friday.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Has anyone else watched the trailers like 1000 times after watching the movie? :p

Mr. Sam

They didnt point out that Miller convinced the studio to give him a fully working speaker truck with a guitar flame thrower.

There's no reason why it has to work at all. They could have saved probably ten grand if it was just a static prop, but somehow George convinced them it had to work.

"He has to decide whether his best friend lives... or dies."
"Ehh."
"His best friend has a guitar that shoots flames."
"Miller, you've done it again!"

What are the chances of Miller directing the Justice League movie for WB now?

i bet he's definitely being sought after for one of their dc movies for sure. hell they gave him justice league before fury road but it just fell through (thankfully...this > all comic book movies anyways)

now with the huge critical reception and good word of mouth he's definitely gonna be approached for one of their properties. i'd rather he get mad max the wasteland out first (or whatever he chooses to do) but if he has to make a dc movie to get it then go for it.

Do You Realize Mad Max: Fury Road Is A Miracle?

Excellent article here. Do read through it fully. There are spoilers, so beware.

Some choice quotes.

'Mad Max: Fury Road should not exist. It should never have gotten made. It certainly shouldn’t be as awesome as it is. And yet somehow, against all odds, this impossible cinematic masterpiece is in theaters right now, in defiance of reality itself.\

'Do you know what Miller was doing before he returned to Mad Max? In the last 20 years, he has only directed three other movies: Happy Feet, a CG cartoon about a bunch of dancing penguins, Happy Feet Two, and Babe: Pig in the City. Three movies not just for kids, but for little kids. Movies that contain no action to speak of, no violence, and nothing in common with Fury Road.'

'But not only was Miller hired, he was given a massive $150 million budget and, more insanely, he seemingly also had complete creative control. You know who gets that deal? Practically no one. Maybe guys like Chris Nolan, who have churned out enough summer blockbusters over the years that the studio doesn’t feel the need to second-guess their every decision.'

'Mad Max: Fury Road shouldn’t exist. It shouldn’t have been possible. It certainly wasn’t plausible. Hollywood executives are paid to prevent this sort of potential disaster from ever happening. And yet somehow, one 70-year-old man who had been stuck directing children’s movies for two decades took a somewhat beloved franchise from the ‘80s and not only made one of the most badass movies of all time, but also created a legitimate masterpiece of the action genre.

If that’s not a miracle, I don’t know what is.'

More at the link.

Yeah fucking wow.

They didnt point out that Miller convinced the studio to give him a fully working speaker truck with a guitar flame thrower.

There's no reason why it has to work at all. They could have saved probably ten grand if it was just a static prop, but somehow George convinced them it had to work. I'd loved to have heard that conversation. His next trick will probably be to convince them he really needs it in his back garden.

LOL wow.

Surprised WB aren't advertising this on their YT page but here's an awesome "Making Of" TV special with scenes and behind the scenes stuff that aired in Thailand. Spoilers obviously if you haven't seen the film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9irV9P91lA

Thanks for sharing this!

Frodo

Saw this yesterday.

It should be called Mad Furiosa. (feat. Mad Max and Victoria Secrets Angels.)

Love it. Beautiful film. The action sequences were aaaammmmaaaazing!

Serious question I present to GAF and I'd like to know your most sincere and un-fanboy possible:

You think MMFR has any chance of being nominated for one or multiple Oscars? It sure doesn't seem like your typical Oscar fodder so it would be an uphill battle, that's for sure.

Top Bottom