• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

peakish

Saw this yesterday, I had to give in to the hype. Loved it as an action movie and for how it respected me as a viewer. There could have been so much time spent on developing the relationship between the villains, but it's taken care of in just a few amazing lines of dialog. And they delivered on just about every element set up in the first act which seems like an amazing feat.

If there's one thing that didn't perfectly gel with me it was the oversaturated colours. It still looks great, and it seems like many others loved it, but at times it took me slightly out of the movie. It gave the night time scenes a fantastic look though. I'd heard that Miller thinks that a B&W version might be even better and after watching it I can totally see it, that might fix this niggle for me. The contrast and tones that I saw seems like they could map almost perfectly to it. Can't wait to see it and compare!

Serious question I present to GAF and I'd like to know your most sincere and un-fanboy possible:

You think MMFR has any chance of being nominated for one or multiple Oscars? It sure doesn't seem like your typical Oscar fodder so it would be an uphill battle, that's for sure.

Maybe for director if it's some kind of lifetime achievement gesture I'd guess. And a nominationor even win for Cinematgraphy is possible I assume if Warner pushes it. Other than that I'd guess editing, and a few of the technical ones are a definitive lock.

That is what I could see happening btw, but other than the technical ones I don't know if any of them are going to happen.

I dunno; I feel that Furiosa still has stories left in her; either in terms of a prequel and her rise to the rank of Imperator or after the events of Fury Road,
since a story about maintaining order in the Citadel and naturing a civilization in a wasteland could be really interesting too.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, there could definitely be a kick-ass Furiosa movie; I'd even be excited to see it. But I'd more excited by the prospect of Max being the one constant (and even then, he's only a constant in the way Bond is at this point) and everything else being brand new.

Serious question I present to GAF and I'd like to know your most sincere and un-fanboy possible:

You think MMFR has any chance of being nominated for one or multiple Oscars? It sure doesn't seem like your typical Oscar fodder so it would be an uphill battle, that's for sure.

Maybe technical award nominations for stuff like best cinematography, film editing, original score, sound mixing, sound editing, visual effects, makeup, production design. I would be surprised if it wasn't nominated to many of those. But it should probably be nominated for best director, best picture, and maybe even best actress.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm linking it again because it can't be linked enough. It's so good.

You can't just link shit like this when I'm at work. I just piledrove the fucking copier machine and wiped the spilled ink across my eyelids. Now fucking HR wants to see me.

Maybe technical award nominations for stuff like best cinematography, film editing, original score, sound mixing, sound editing, visual effects, makeup, production design. I would be surprised if it wasn't nominated to many of those. But it should probably be nominated for best director, best picture, and maybe even best actress.

Even though I think MMFR could deserve a nod on those categories I have difficulty believing the Academy will acknowledge a "mindless" action movie with the least Oscar-bait worthy themes for big categories like Best Director or Best Picture.

Hopefully I can be proven wrong.

Blader

Quick question regarding The Wasteland; is that the Furiosa movie that George has been talking about, or is this meant to star Max? Hell, is the Furiosa movie even still on the table?
The Furiosa movie was supposed to be an anime prequel called (what else) Mad Max: Furiosa. It was scrapped during production on this one.

duckroll

The Furiosa movie was supposed to be an anime prequel called (what else) Mad Max: Furiosa. It was scrapped during production on this one.

If it's a prequel then I suppose whatever plot he planned for that will be used in the comic coming out next month instead?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Brothers in Arms in my head. Non stop. Send help. I can't get this fucking movie out of my system.

x____x

Me either dude. I've seen in twice in theaters and I really want to watch it a third. I have never even wanted to watch a movie more than twice in theaters.

Owensboro

Surprised WB aren't advertising this on their YT page but here's an awesome "Making Of" TV special with scenes and behind the scenes stuff that aired in Thailand. Spoilers obviously if you haven't seen the film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9irV9P91lA

Wow, thanks for linking this. Major spoilers for those that haven't seen it. I've been wondering how much of the movie was physical props. I hope the Blu Ray has some awesome special features.

Tom Hardy on the cars in the movie said:
George wanted all these vehicles made so that he could destroy them.... but with great love!

Hah!

Me either dude. I've seen in twice in theaters and I really want to watch it a third. I have never even wanted to watch a movie more than twice in theaters.

I also have seen it twice! Once 2D, once 3D IMAX, and now I'm seeing the originals again to ramp up to my third viewing!!!

I've just finished road warrior today! That was fun!!!!

gabbo

Technical all day, 'ery day. Cinematography and FX certainly (which I consider separate from the technical awards because they're part of the ceremony). Actress for Theron maybe, anything more would be an unlikely, pleasant surprise.

marrec

Banned
Has anyone else watched the trailers like 1000 times after watching the movie? :p

This is me. I haven't been able to see the movie again yet (I want too) and so I've just been watching Trailers over and over and listening to the sound track.

Edit:

That breakdown in the middle of Brothers in Arms gives me chills everytime.

This is me. I haven't been able to see the movie again yet (I want too) and so I've just been watching Trailers over and over and listening to the sound track.

Edit:

That breakdown in the middle of Brothers in Arms gives me chills everytime.

It is so so so so beautiful, the middle part ;___;

It breaks my heart and sends it to valhalla!

Toa TAK

Banned
I love how the track is called "Brothers in Arms". When you first look at the track and actually see its use in the movie it's pretty great that it flips expectations like that.

Should be called "Sisters in Arms". That moment with Splendid being held by the wives was incredibly courageous and brave.

hamchan

I think this is the only movie I've seen three times in cinemas.

And yeah, Brothers in Arms. What a track. The violins playing with the horns in the background just makes me picture that part of the movie with the bikers and the firebombs. Amazing.

Haha, a friend of mine just posted this. Does anyone know if Gunshow actually made this?

aJVaW7i.jpg

firelogic

I dunno; I feel that Furiosa still has stories left in her; either in terms of a prequel and her rise to the rank of Imperator or after the events of Fury Road,
since a story about maintaining order in the Citadel and naturing a civilization in a wasteland could be really interesting too.

I don't want the mystique of Furiosa ruined by delving into her backstory. It's much better not really knowing and inferring what may have happened to her. They ruined Vader for me with the prequels and they're going to ruin Boba Fett even more than they already have if they do a solo movie for him. As for what happens to her after Fury Road...not really interested in that either. She's an awesome character but I don't think we should ever see her again.

I don't want the mystique of Furiosa ruined by delving into her backstory. It's much better not really knowing and inferring what may have happened to her. They ruined Vader for me with the prequels and they're going to ruin Boba Fett even more than they already have if they do a solo movie for him. As for what happens to her after Fury Road...not really interested in that either. She's an awesome character but I don't think we should ever see her again.

I don't want a Furiosa backstory, but I wouldn't mind a movie set years into the future (maybe it can be the movie after this next one) where Max has to
return to the Citadel to meet Immortan Furiosa and her matriarchal kingdom.

I don't want a Furiosa backstory, but I wouldn't mind a movie set years into the future (maybe it can be the movie after this next one) where Max has to
return to the Citadel to meet Immortan Furiosa and her matriarchal kingdom.

I want something set in the future too. I want a bit more Furiosa. I mean if they go a completely different route, I wouldn't really mind (as long as they make it work again), but the character still has a lot of potential.
Also, there's Gas Twon. Maybe they don't take the Joe's death and a new rule so well.

They've just rebooted a franchise whose last episode was 30 years ago. Given Furiosa's major role in Fury Road, they should avoid focusing on her again IMO, or the renewed franchise will become more about her than Max in the eyes of the new audience.

I like Furiosa but I don't want her to return. Keep it as it's always been with Max as the only reccuring character.
Either have the story focus on him next time or have him get cought up in someone else's struggle again.

I want something set in the future too. I want a bit more Furiosa. I mean if they go a completely different route, I wouldn't really mind (as long as they make it work again), but the character still has a lot of potential.
Also, there's Gas Twon. Maybe they don't take the Joe's death and a new rule so well.

Yeah, I'd rather
her return, if any, be in a much smaller role where she specifically needs Max for something.
Just a springboard, really.

They've just rebooted a franchise whose last episode was 30 years ago. Given Furiosa's major role in Fury Road, they should avoid focusing on her again IMO, or the renewed franchise will become more about her than Max in the eyes of the new audience.

Yeah, it would maybe be for the better.

Yeah, I'd rather
her return, if any, be in a much smaller role where she specifically needs Max for something.
Just a springboard, really.

But, yes, I would love her to return.

SpaceHorror

I wouldn't mind seeing Furiosa again as she's a great character, not to mention Charlize Theron's performance.

However, I'm not sure in what capacity. Max movies are always about him stumbling into situations and reluctantly getting caught up in them. In Fury Road
he gets caught up in Furiosa's redemption and saving the wives.
Not sure I'd like to see him get caught up in another Furiosa arc anytime soon, especially not in the next movie.

And yes, it runs the risk of turning the franchise into Furiosa's when it should always be about Max.

I think a Gas Town movie with her having a smaller part in it could be cool, though. Though do we really expect Max to hover in the same area for long? I mean, Gas Town seemed pretty close.

I say give us something new in the next one and if there is a third, maybe then bring back Furiosa. I trust George Miller, though, so wherever he takes us I'm with him.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
On Furiosa for the following movie:
I would love to see more Furiosa. But I don't think that'll happen. I hope for a minor role in the next movie, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't mind seeing Furiosa again as she's a great character, not to mention Charlize Theron's performance.

However, I'm not sure in what capacity. Max movies are always about him stumbling into situations and reluctantly getting caught up in them. In Fury Road
he gets caught up in Furiosa's redemption and saving the wives.
Not sure I'd like to see him get caught up in another Furiosa arc anytime soon, especially not in the next movie.

And yes, it runs the risk of turning the franchise into Furiosa's when it should always be about Max.

I think a Gas Town movie with her having a smaller part in it could be cool, though. Though do we really expect Max to hover in the same area for long? I mean, Gas Town seemed pretty close.

I say give us something new in the next one and if there is a third, maybe then bring back Furiosa. I trust George Miller, though, so wherever he takes us I'm with him.

Yeah, definitely not the next movie, but I think it would be cool to have one take place 10-20 years later or so, with an older Max, still wandering through the Wasteland when he hears about a "great kingdom" nearby and for whatever reason is pulled towards it, only to discover it's ruled/governed by an old friend. Basically,
she has risen to be a ruler, a la Conan the Barbarian.

It could be like a GOOD Thunderdome :p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Here we're talking about what we would like them to do when we don't even know if there'll be a sequel :(

We can dream! Hopefully Warner appreciates the excellent reviews that the movie has gotten over how much money it has earned.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
How's it doing at the BO this week? Come on people, go see this over the top fantastic film!

Trey

Yeah, I think I have one more viewing left in me as well. If the slow moments hold up a fourth time I'll be ready to call this film a masterpiece for good, and not just a personal favorite.

marrec

Banned
How's it doing at the BO this week? Come on people, go see this over the top fantastic film!

About what you'd expect for a popular R-rated film. Tuesday numbers had it on top (over PP2 and Tomorrowland) but come the weekend you will likely see that flipped. R-rated movies tend to over-perform on weekdays because the audience (obviously) skews older.

Either way it's doing really good... but the budget was very high.

DeathyBoy

Banned
We can dream! Hopefully Warner appreciates the excellent reviews that the movie has gotten over how much money it has earned.

The only solution? Next Mad Max is set sixty years later, a hundred years after the apocalypse. Max is the same age and still talking about being a cop. He runs into Furiosa who is all 'MAX? I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD?' And Max just laughs.

Savitar

How I view the "continuity" issue in the Mad Max movies is that we're basically getting the passed down versions, told and retold, some times by the people who were there. Some things are true, some are larger than life, other things changed and swapped together. All the impossible things for example to make it a larger than life story. It's why some details are set yet others may vary.

Also the red head in the movie was hot. Anyone got her name?

How I view the "continuity" issue in the Mad Max movies is that we're basically getting the passed down versions, told and retold, some times by the people who were there. Some things are true, some are larger than life, other things changed and swapped together. All the impossible things for example to make it a larger than life story. It's why some details are set yet others may vary.

Also the red head in the movie was hot. Anyone got her name?

Riley Keough. She's Elvis' granddaughter.

RfXmtCL.jpg

Top Bottom