• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Wed, May. 27 2015

1- Mad Max: Fury Road $2,318,209
2- Pitch Perfect 2 $2,063,160
3- Tomorrowland $1,967,132
4- Avengers: Age of Ultron $1,429,415
5- Poltergeist (2015) $1,245,873

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2015-05-28

It would be awesome if word of mouth causes Fury Road to keep drawing viewers and making good money week after week, after the time when other films would have petered out. I've been doing my part; seen it four times myself and I'm telling everyone I know how amazing it is and that they shouldn't sleep on seeing it in the theater!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think this has to be one of the most intense action movies I've ever seen, can't remember any low points at all

all sensory organs are constantly bombarded more or less throughout the whole thing lol

Guitar dude ROCKED

Filmspotting actually did a great job of describing how each sequence/chase is more akin to a symphony than anything else. Each starts simple, with maybe one or two vehicles, then slowly builds, and has all these moving parts but never becomes incoherent.

And Miller, the master conductor.

Peru

Max isn't the most important thing about any of the Mad Max movies. I know it's been about him stumbling in and out of things, but nothing says it has to be the sole focus. If another character becomes a bigger presence for a couple of movies that's just fine if it serves the story and movie.

Woorloog

Banned
Filmspotting actually did a great job of describing how each sequence/chase is more akin to a symphony than anything else. Each starts simple, with maybe one or two vehicles, then slowly builds, and has all these moving parts but never becomes incoherent.

And Miller, the master conductor.

That is quite good description, in retrospect. Indeed, the whole film has kind of a build-up, i think.

Toxi

Banned
Does anyone know if there will be Fury Road toys available?
Unfortunately no news yet. I'd really love NECA to pick up the line.

Wish LEGO could do R-rated properties. :( I guess Mega Bloks can fill in, but even they seem to only do M-rated games, not R-rated movies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Saw this today. Not really sure how I feel about it.

Max was weird for me. Idk... I need to let it sink in a bit more. Real impressions in a few days maybe.

Finally read Mad Max #1. So good. Establishes the timeline and the myth behind Immortan Joe. Can't wait for the next issue.

Oh and some comic places have it going for $20 bucks already.

Finally read Mad Max #1. So good. Establishes the timeline and the myth behind Immortan Joe. Can't wait for the next issue.

Oh and some comic places have it going for $20 bucks already.

i bought it but I'm not sure I want to read it. I really don't want to know furiosa and joe's backstories....

Simo

Unfortunately no news yet. I'd really love NECA to pick up the line.

Wish LEGO could do R-rated properties. :( I guess Mega Bloks can fill in, but even they seem to only do M-rated games, not R-rated movies.

No plans right now. They're so busy with other licenses right now despite everyone always asking for Mad Max on their Twitter page. lol Maybe next year for them?

I know Mezco passed over the license and as for Hot Toys, well they're the Iron Man company now so they're not really producing anything expect that shit. lol

Cosmozone

My artbook arrived, hell yeah! It has good weight, pretty happy with it. I also ordered the inspired artists book and it's underway.

Some viewers numbers from Germany if anybody is interested:
(Ostwind 2 is also some girls' movie I think, like PP2 but more for kids - about horses)

First week:
1. Pitch Perfect 2 - 541,960 (new)
2. Ostwind 2 - 333,879 (new)
3. Mad Max Fury Road - 310,195 (new)

Second week:
1. Pitch Perfect 2 - 212,723 (-61%)
2. Mad Max Fury Road - 140,987 (-55%)
3. Ostwind 2 - 126596 (-63%)
4. Tomorrowland - 106,556 (new)

Tomorrowland has been inexplicably renamed to "A World
Beyond" here. Not good numbers for this. :-/ Same for the
The Babadook, with a current total of 113,248 viewers. Damn,
I've still got to see this.

At least Max gained a place and lost the least percentage
among the films that started at the same time, but could still
be (much) better. :-/
Avengers has currently a total of 2,070,957 viewers in Germany
and FF7 a whopping 4,105,190.

Oersted

My artbook arrived, hell yeah! It has good weight, pretty happy with it. I also ordered the inspired artists book and it's underway.

(Ostwind 2 is also some girls' movie I think, like PP2 but more for kids - about horses)

First week:

Second week:

Beyond" here. Not good numbers for this. :-/ Same for the

Just describe Ostwind with Black Beauty. And Disney had to change it due to being sued
http://www.slashfilm.com/tomorrowland-title-change/

pestul

So Pitch Perfect 2 is gaining screens while Fury Road is dropping some this weekend.. this doesn't make any sense to me with the weekly take and low drops for FR.

VKqQjnx.jpg

yOrbtI6.jpg

It must be more related to competition in the genre than the actual performance with San Andreas coming out.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
I just watched Beyond Thunderdome and I noticed that Slake M'Thirst(male leader of the tribe) wears 3 belts around his waist, just like Furiosa does in Fury Road. Could it be another reference or is it just a coincidence?

Pfft, if you really wanted that, you wouldn't have posted it here.

Go see it.

I ended up watching Interstellar instead. Aka "Exposition: The Movie". Also, it's a good thing alpha-male McConaughey was around to set Anne Hathaway straight every time she got all weepy or screwed something up.

Fury Road has spoiled me on other movies. :)

I ended up watching Interstellar instead. Aka "Exposition: The Movie". Also, it's a good thing alpha-male McConaughey was around to set Anne Hathaway straight every time she got all weepy or screwed something up.

Fury Road has spoiled me on other movies. :)

Hahaha! That is so true
Poor Hathaway, letting all those female emotions ruin the mission
I think the visuals fooled people into not realizing the more sexist elements of the film
Conversely MURPH!! was a stronger character but Tom may as well have been adopted or something

Sephzilla

Man I loooooooooooooove first timers' reactions to this movie. I keep getting reminded how my mind was fucking blown when I saw it too XD

I'm kind of in that "what a time to be alive" haze still. Between Fury Road, John Wick, and Dredd I kind of feel like an action movie renaissance might be happening.

vio

First week:

Second week:

Beyond" here.
Not good numbers for this. :-/ Same for the

It is PROJECT T here in Netherlands. Just weird.

I'm kind of in that "what a time to be alive" haze still. Between Fury Road, John Wick, and Dredd I kind of feel like an action movie renaissance might be happening.

It's been happening. Pretty consistently. The idea that good-to-great action movies are some sort of rarity is kinda confusing, honestly.

DuffDry

So I've spent the past three days watching each Mad Max movie for the first time.

I found Mad Max to be super cool, if not a bit incoherent at times.
I really dug The Road Warrior, especially its pacing and length.
I didn't like Beyond Thunderdome at all.

Watching Fury Road tomorrow and I'm pretty damn excited.

Melon Husk

Worldwide Gross: $226,589,534 | Total Budget*: $210,000,000

I know it doesn't all go to the studio, but it's going to be profitable with digital and disk sales. Good. Saw it twice.

Tansut

So I've spent the past three days watching each Mad Max movie for the first time.

I found Mad Max to be super cool, if not a bit incoherent at times.
I really dug The Road Warrior, especially its pacing and length.
I didn't like Beyond Thunderdome at all.

Watching Fury Road tomorrow and I'm pretty damn excited.
I did the same thing the week Fury Road came out! I pretty much feel the same way, although I really dug all the actual Bartertown / Thunderdome stuff in BT.

DuffDry

I did the same thing the week Fury Road came out! I pretty much feel the same way, although I really dug all the actual Bartertown / Thunderdome stuff in BT.

Bartertown just didn't feel... real? Something about it seemed like they took the Road Warrior aesthetic too far, where even if all people were left with are scraps of metal and tarps, the architecture and outfits of some people just looked too ridiculous and unbelievable to me. With Mad Max and Road Warrior (to a lesser extent), the fashion and architecture felt more practical.

Plus it was super jarring going from those first two movies where no one barely said anything to Beyond Thunderdome where characters would NOT stop talking.

-griffy-

Banned
I love Hardy's "what the fuck" look he gives Nux in the background of that image. It could just be a product of the car shaking but it seems like he's just confused.

I love Hardy in that scene. He's trying to piece together what exactly Nux is doing, like "Is he actually doing what I think he's doing?", then Nux shouts "WITNESS ME BLOOD BAG!" and you see it click and he starts smashing the window.

Top Bottom