• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I'm so glad it didn't focus on origin stories.

S7Pp7U8.gif

I love that gif!

Toxi

Banned
i'm listing to the OST right now and I think i need to go see this movie again
Bring your family and friends.

I've managed to convince everyone in my family to see it except my mom, who wants to see it on a smaller screen because she's worried it will be too intense for her (also, she didn't like Kingsman, so she's taking my recommendations with a grain of salt).

Sephzilla

I've managed to convince everyone in my family to see it except my mom, who wants to see it on a smaller screen because she's worried it will be too intense for her.

i'm probably going to head to a friends place to play splatoon this weekend. i'm going to try to talk him into going to see it.

Lunar15

It's funny, the biggest roadblock to seeing the movie that I've encountered is that people think it will be too gory. Ironically, it's not gory at all. It really doesn't need that R rating, if you ask me.

Toxi

Banned
It's not like there are jump scares.
She gets squeamish when she can't walk out of the room during a tense scene. I told her it's not too gory (though it can be a bit grotesque with stuff like
the stillbirth
), but she's still cautious.

On the plus side, one of her main reasons for disliking Kingsman was
the stupid sex at the end; she thought it was a weird and creepy setup with the whole "I'll give you more than a kiss if you save the world" thing.
There's nothing like that in Fury Road.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man, i wanna see it again.

Witness me watching it again.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I love Hardy's "what the fuck" look he gives Nux in the background of that image. It could just be a product of the car shaking but it seems like he's just confused.

The best part? Max is a character who contributes little to that action sequence is carried along by other characters who do the cool shit. AND IT STILL WORKS. Like most studios would be all 'no, Max needs to be awesome' and Miller/Hardy just don't give a flying fuck - the film comes first, not the actors ego.

Hardy is so ridiculously selfless in how he acts in the film. Like he's happy that it's Furiosa's film, and he's confident he'll stand out without trying to stand out... ya know?

Maximus.

Such a great movie and the action just really never stopped. Thought that Tom did a great job of a Mel Gibson-esque voice.

Hardy is so ridiculously selfless in how he acts in the film. Like he's happy that it's Furiosa's film, and he's confident he'll stand out without trying to stand out... ya know?

Hardy is fantastic, and Max's characterization is fantastic. The way he is respectful, even deferential, to Furiosa, but never seems weak or "emasculated" (hate to even use that word). He makes being an equal partner with Furiosa look like the most badass and manly thing possible.

Yup. The sniper rifle scene was Max's personality in a nutshell. Stubborn enough to try again, but not stupid enough to waste their last shot.

firelogic

I've managed to convince everyone in my family to see it except my mom, who wants to see it on a smaller screen because she's worried it will be too intense for her (also, she didn't like Kingsman, so she's taking my recommendations with a grain of salt).

I absolutely loved Fury Road but thought Kingsman was just ok so she might like it.

Phatmac

I rarely go out to the movies but thought it'd be great to show my cousins from another country what American/Australian cinema can accomplish. This is my first time seeing it and wow was it incredible. It honestly felt like I was on the run myself in the movie with how quickly the pace of the movie was going at. I was constantly blown away by the stunts performed in the movie and how no one actually died from the insane things displayed on screen. It's one of those movies the shows you all you need to know without excessive dialogue. It's all so meticulously crafted that I understand why it took so long to be done. I haven't felt so shaken over a movie in a long time. I have to keep seeing it to experience the adrenaline that it delivers. It feels like a drug. Man everything is just so amazing.

inm8num2

I think I'm experiencing the same form of blues people experienced after Avatar - that feeling of wanting to be back in the fictional world of Mad Max, even though I probably wouldn't last 5 minutes. :p

marrec

Banned
Just had a pretty hard break up and now I need to see this movie even more. I don't get paid for 2 weeks though. *watches more trailers*

Trey

I love Hardy's "what the fuck" look he gives Nux in the background of that image. It could just be a product of the car shaking but it seems like he's just confused.

Best look Hardy does is when Furiousa gets out of the rig to approach the naked woman bait trap. His whole face says "this mufucka...."

Cormano

I just got out of the theater not knowing what to expect, and HOLY SHIT, this movie is awesome I want to see it again, I will definitely buy this when it comes out, one of the best action movies I have ever seen.

Dereck

I want to watch
that fight between Charlize and Max at the beginning by the water hose over and over, fervent as hell.

Well, there's a spoiler thread, but I'll add spoiler tags anyway.

Skux

It's refreshing when an American accent is the one that sounds out of place.

Film was nuts. Fantastical and relentless. 4/5 stars.

Also, does anyone know what Tom Hardy actually sounds like?

Fliesen

So i gave this movie a 2nd viewing yesterday and brought my girlfriend along, even though she was terribly sceptical it would be for her. She's not much into action movies, she's not much into cars, explosions or anything like that.

I told her i'd be fine going by myself, but since it had been my birthday 2 days ago, she thought it'd be too sad to have me sit in the cinema all by myself, suckling on a diet coke.

I had to give her a few primers, as to what to expect, with which attitude to go into this movie.
(It's not a cars and explosions movie, this isn't Furious 7, what you see in the trailer isn't being glorified, it's not aimed to please dumb people who just want to see stuff explode. Be open to the film's style and tone, which - while not "pleasant" - is incredibly well crafted. Also, keep in mind that if i had told you you'd be thoroughly enjoying a movie where a monkey rides a horse, akimbo-shooting machine guns, you'd have called me crazy beforehand)

She loved it. It's just that good a film. It just oozes artistic integrity and creative spark from every pore. Miller's shown to be a master of his craft.

"I thought you were crazy when you told me, but that car with the drummers and the guitar player was totally essential to this movie!" I know, right?!

A guy in the row before me wasn't as lucky. After the film, i heard his girlfriend angrily mumbling "well, i could have had 2 extra hours of sleep tonight ..." when they got up.

edit: I hope this movie does well, but i wouldn't mind if it didn't get a sequel. It's good enough to be Miller's magnum opus and i'd just expect hollywood executives to meddle with the next installment while this one must have totally been under their radar / out of their grasp.

edit 2: what i don't get is why Miller chooses to shove roughly 75% of the "gross" / "weird" content (Joe's ugly back, the
women being milked
, his disfigured son into your face so early-on. My girlfriend said it almost put her off / put her in a bad mood.
Thank god for Nux being so goofy. He really lightens the mood, fast.

R-User!

So i gave this movie a 2nd viewing yesterday and brought my girlfriend along, even though she was terribly sceptical it would be for her. She's not much into action movies, she's not much into cars, explosions or anything like that.

I told her i'd be fine going by myself, but since it had been my birthday 2 days ago, she thought it'd be too sad to have me sit in the cinema all by myself, suckling on a diet coke.

I had to give her a few primers, as to what to expect, with which attitude to go into this movie.
(It's not a cars and explosions movie, this isn't Furious 7, what you see in the trailer isn't being glorified, it's not aimed to please dumb people who just want to see stuff explode. Be open to the film's style and tone, which - while not "pleasant" - is incredibly well crafted. Also, keep in mind that if i had told you you'd be thoroughly enjoying a movie where a monkey rides a horse, akimbo-shooting machine guns, you'd have called me crazy beforehand)

She loved it. It's just that good a film. It just oozes artistic integrity and creative spark from every pore. Miller's shown to be a master of his craft.

"I thought you were crazy when you told me, but that car with the drummers and the guitar player was totally essential to this movie!" I know, right?!

A guy in the row before me wasn't as lucky. After the film, i heard his girlfriend angrily mumbling "well, i could have had 2 extra hours of sleep tonight ..." when they got up.

edit: I hope this movie does well, but i wouldn't mind if it didn't get a sequel. It's good enough to be Miller's magnum opus and i'd just expect hollywood executives to meddle with the next installment while this one must have totally been under their radar / out of their grasp.

edit 2: what i don't get is why Miller chooses to shove roughly 75% of the "gross" / "weird" content (Joe's ugly back, the
women being milked
, his disfigured son into your face so early-on. My girlfriend said it almost put her off / put her in a bad mood.
Thank god for Nux being so goofy. He really lightens the mood, fast.

No time to waste: worlds' gotta get built, momentums gotta momentum!

Just saw it yesterday and it was even better than I had expected. Question though and sorry if its been discussed a bajillion times before in this thread but is there some kind of comic or book leading up to this movie? I'd really like to know the back story of the emperor and his family and some of the minor things .. like who are those pole people in the wetland area and what are the doing?

Radogol

Just saw it yesterday and it was even better than I had expected. Question though and sorry if its been discussed a bajillion times before in this thread but is there some kind of comic or book leading up to this movie? I'd really like to know the back story of the emperor and his family and some of the minor things .. like who are those pole people in the wetland area and what are the doing?

Sure. There's one about the origins of Nux and Joe out now. I believe next month there'll be one about Furiosa and two issues on Max himself after that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

women being milked
Thank god for Nux being so goofy. He really lightens the mood, fast

Maybe to show that the world and the Citadel are ugly places?

Simo

How's the artbook of this movie, I'm thinking about buying it.

Fantastic! 18 years of information, backstory and concept art mixed in with behind the scenes photos, although because of that the book is more a companion book than a straight up art book.

Zeldana

Neo Member
I've seen it twice so far, and I may go for a third time this weekend with my dad (who is incidentally a fan of the originally trilogy). I found DVDs for the Road Warrior and Thunderdome recently, now I just need to find some time to watch them this week.

I walked into the theater blind, fueled only by curiosity. Walked out completely blown away. Didn't expect anything like it at all, and I'm having trouble convincing myself not to buy the art book and comics. I went ahead and bought the soundtrack already. :x

Figured I'd touch on a few points that stuck out to me:

- Tom Hardy and Ms. Theron don't say a whole lot during the movie but their glances speak volumes. My favorite of Hardy's expressions takes place when Furiosa parks in the canyon (before unhitching the fuel pod) and insists everyone makes themselves disappear, stat. So he's in the hold with a gun in each hand, cautiously watching Furiosa's next move. She asks for his name, he doesn't tell her, then she shows him the correct sequence of switches to hit to power on the engines anyway, and he just kind of... looks at her. Contemplates. It's a pivotal moment. Should he trust her? Shoot her? Take off with the rig and leave her behind once she's out? Max spends more time watching her, affording only a moment or two to glance at the kill switch sequence before she hops out.

- Also, the small details in the film that demonstrate how much gets done by sheer force of will... when they get stuck in the land of the crows and poisoned mud, Furiosa pushes the rig to try to get it moving while Max is up against the tree providing what weight he can to keep it tethered to the ground. You're sitting there thinking, what difference does it make? But to them it's critical - another escape that can provide one more step forward.

- Bolt cutters are OP

Edit: Oh! And the arm that's painted on the side of the rig. Totally missed that the first time around.

At this rate I'll probably end up owning the art book before the end of the week. @_@

Cosmozone

BTW there was something I noticed and liked about Happy Feet back then, actually. It had one similarity with Mad Max Fury Road in having a lot of visual variety for basically one theme, ice and snow in Happy Feet and sand/desert in Fury Road. Just a nice thought. Of course I didn't notice a similarity to a future movie back then, but you know what I mean.

I want to watch
that fight between Charlize and Max at the beginning by the water hose over and over, fervent as hell.

Well, there's a spoiler thread, but I'll add spoiler tags anyway.

That scene is on YouTube somewhere, I remember they released it before the movie came to theaters.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Taking my mom to see it on Monday. It will be my 2nd time. My opinion of the movie gets better as time passes. Crazy.

Just came back from the movies

Holy shit this movie was incredible, are all the other mad max movies this awesome?

Fucking hell, non stop action, great stunts, great acting... Absolutely amazing

Simple yet very well told story, everything just blends in such a harminous fashion.

Just came back from the movies

Holy shit this movie was incredible, are all the other mad max movies this awesome?

Fucking hell, non stop action, great stunts, great acting... Absolutely amazing

Simple yet very well told story, everything just blends in such a harminous fashion.

I haven't seen the third one, but the second one is the most similar. Not quite as intense, but it's a good and entertaining movie. Just don't expect it to be the same thing. The first one has it's charm, but it's completely different and way, way slower.

Fantastic! 18 years of information, backstory and concept art mixed in with behind the scenes photos, although because of that the book is more a companion book than a straight up art book.
Yeah, looked it up on YouTube, I was expecting lots of great concept art, I'm disappointed :/

Top Bottom