• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

facelike

Just saw it today. Loved it.

Great visually, exciting, loved the guitar car/guy, I can go on.

I described it to a friend as 'you know that crazy chase scene at the end of Road Warrior? Take that scene, amp it to 11 and stretch it across 2 hours.'

They now want to see it.

I was surprised how non-bloody the overall movie was. Kinda got used to extreme gore, happy they didn't feel the need to push it cause they could. Highly recommend.

Sephzilla

I WITNESSED the movie again today. Still so damn good.

Guitar-FuryRoad.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nugd1n7PT7Y

When my friends and I watch horror movies as a group we always joke that the reason the killer never wins is because the band is always sneaking up and playing music right before shit happens. Even though this isn't a horror movie, we absolutely loved that this movie literally brings the band along as a character in the movie.

My Dad and I rode into Valhalla together yesterday for his birthday. It was my 4th time being witnessed, and he hadn't been to a movie in theaters for over 15 years.

He loved it.

I enjoy it more and more everytime I see it, and I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen a movie this many times in the theater, and I used to work at a movie theater and see movies for free.

way more

Not sure if that is a plot hole

How did Max return to the canyon where they blew up the rocks so quickly? Joe's party wasn't that far behind in the pursuit, why didn't they have to cross that swamp with the crows again?

exactly. Also, where does Miss Giddy and the doctor go?

edit: wrong thread

Mad Max Fury Road was shot in mind of the editing, so all of it was center framed making Margaret Sixel's editing job easier to mess around with speed of cutting. That's how it avoided typical movie mistakes of incoherence for the viewer. Some more cool insights here like eye trace:

The Editing of MAD MAX: Fury Road

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Mad Max Fury Road was shot in mind of the editing, so all of it was center framed making Margaret Sixel's editing job easier to mess around with speed of cutting. That's how it avoided typical movie mistakes of incoherence for the viewer. Some more cool insights here like eye trace:

The Editing of MAD MAX: Fury Road

Very good article. I found this pretty awesome:

As they prepared to shoot the film, George Miller had no script. He did have over 3500 storyboards created by Mark Sexton. The Studio of course asked for a script and George said there wasn’t one. He offered the 3500 storyboards as it had taken him more than 10 years to get the story mapped out with this precision. The Studio said they NEED a script. George apparently had one cranked out but said it was “not good”. It didn’t have to be. He already knew how the whole film would look and feel.

Also, the article confirms that the cranking up of scenes (increasing the speed of the scene) was done in editing.

Ushay

Saw this movie last night, and boy was it good. Best movie of the yes, easily bests other action movies. Some of my favourite elements were;

- Incredible world building and scenery.
- Great characters, well presented despite their limited dialogue.
- Furiosa, she was just plain awesome.
- Nick Hoult was also excellent, brought much needed humour to the movie.
- Best action of the year. Period.
- Superb car chase scenes.
- Dat restless guitar player.

Inst-buy for me when it goes digital HD/Bluray.

R-User!

My Dad and I rode into Valhalla together yesterday for his birthday. It was my 4th time being witnessed, and he hadn't been to a movie in theaters for over 15 years.

He loved it.

I enjoy it more and more everytime I see it, and I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen a movie this many times in the theater, and I used to work at a movie theater and see movies for free.

Witneeeeeess!!!

ogbg

And that's.. good? How much did the movie cost?

It's better than any projections which were in the $100M-$120M range. Maybe just about enough to make a small profit after DVD/BR/VOD (assuming it ends at $400M WW theatrical cumulative).

EDIT: It cost $150M before marketing

Watched this again today. First time I've ever seen a movie twice in the theaters. No regrets, it's absolutely amazing. So many new details I could notice this time.

ATF487

I LOVED this, it was so ridiculous. It also made me think of how awesome it would be if he was playing Kyuss riffs.

I watched it for the first time yesterday, I found the sped up editing a little distracting but I really enjoyed it overall. Makes me want to go back and watch the other films, I've only seen the Road Warrior and that was a long time ago.

UrbanRats

It's better than any projections which were in the $100M-$120M range. Maybe just about enough to make a small profit after DVD/BR/VOD (assuming it ends at $400M WW theatrical cumulative).

The buzz around it has been so good, i expect it to do very very well on home video/VOD.

Wait, cracking 400m is a "small profit" for a movie that's budgeted at 150m?

ogbg

Wait, cracking 400m is a "small profit" for a movie that's budgeted at 150m?

Budget including marketing was $210M and studios only take a percentage of box office, the exact amount depending on the particular deal with distributors but which has been reported to vary between 25% and 50%.

Badger

Saw it last night, goddamn amazing. Can't wait to pick it up on Blu-Ray. Loved the world building, it didn't hit you in the face with exposition. Easily one of my favourite action movies of all time.

nero2082

if Immortan Joe had seen other blockbusters he would probably shout MEDIOCRE!!!

and I would do the same, instant classic for me, not only eye-popping but I can't remember last time a movie that was making me move in a seat all the time (need that perfect angle to see etc ;) and going internally batshit

jesus christ that movie.

Toxi

Banned
Reading Richard Brody's Mad Max analysis, I have to wonder if he's taking the piss.

His critique of the action scenes is that the way they are clearly shot and set-up with an attention to every detail makes them feel calculated and cold, more of an intellectual satisfaction than an emotional thrill, claiming they're less fun than Michael Bay. Also,

The severe logic of Miller’s scene construction seems to constrain his visual sense,
What the fucking fuck.

Outside the bizarre undercranking seen in the intro, there are tons of distinct visuals from the action scenes from a filmmaking perspective. You've got the extreme blue filter in the quagmire, the use of diegetic music, the incredible pan out into the storm... This movie is not constrained.

Reading Richard Brody's Mad Max analysis, I have to wonder if he's taking the piss.

His critique of the action scenes is that the way they are clearly shot and set-up, with an attention to every detail, makes them feel calculated and cold, more of an intellectual satisfaction than an emotional thrill, claiming they're less fun than Michael Bay. Also,

What the fucking fuck.

Outside the bizarre undercranking seen in the intro, there are tons of distinct visuals from the action scenes from a filmmaking perspective. You've got the extreme blue filter in the quagmire, the use of diegetic music, the incredible pan out into the storm... This movie is not constrained.

"For giddy action, Michael Bay has and gives more fun."

"Though Miller has made a nominal action film, the images themselves offer very few compositional delights."

I know exactly who I won't go to for a good read on an action movie.

Unkle

Fury Road should be a lesson in how to pace modern action films. Absolutely stunning; my pre-release hype was vindicated tenfold!

His critique of the action scenes is that the way they are clearly shot and set-up, with an attention to every detail, makes them feel calculated and cold, more of an intellectual satisfaction than an emotional thrill, claiming they're less fun than Michael Bay. Also,

What the fucking fuck.

I love Richard Brody. I hardly agree with him but like his reviews linger around in my head.

ogbg

His critique of the action scenes is that the way they are clearly shot and set-up with an attention to every detail makes them feel calculated and cold, more of an intellectual satisfaction than an emotional thrill, claiming they're less fun than Michael Bay. Also,

What the fucking fuck.

Bellflower! I saw that film a couple of years ago and could never remember what it was called. It really stuck in my head for some reason (apart from the name obviously).

Donos

What.a.ride !!!!!! Finally saw it as my gf bailed on me although we extra watched MAx 1 and two in preparation...

That was one of the movies i would go back into the theatre right after seeing it. Don't know if i manage to see it in theatre again but this was really awesome. The art/design, crazy car stuff, poles and everything was nuts and i loved it.

And that intro ...

Yen

Seen it twice. Definitely the best action film of the last 20 years in my eyes (shout out to John Wick and the Raid too, but this has them beat).
Hope it gets sequels.

Going to be listening to Kyuss for the rest of the evening as per ATF.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

What the fucking fuck.

Is this what happens when you end up your own ass?

I saw it this morning. I love this movie. I'm buying the blu-ray day one. This was amazing. I loved the pace, tension, and the tenor of the movie.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm shocked George Miller still got it. But not only that, that he has managed to improve his style and give us such a master piece of cinematic action.

I'm in awe.

Camwi

I FINALLY got to see this movie earlier today. Fury Road might be my favorite movie of all time. FUCKING INCREDIBLE film. Seriously, every aspect was so well done.

I'm buying the soundtrack right now, and this will be the first blu-ray that I buy day one instead of waiting for my magical $5 price point.

SO GOOD.

I'm shocked George Miller still got it. But not only that, that he has managed to improve his style and give us such a master piece of cinematic action.

I'm in awe.

I kind of ignored his output post-beyond thunderdome but this made me check out the babe films and happy feet

Honestly....theyre pretty great. Babe 2 especially is ballsy as hell

Unkle

Onward to the second!

Also; small semi-spoiler in a sense:

I know it's a reboot but could you, in a sense, place it between the first and second chronologically? The first culminates in Max becoming a shell of his former self and destined to roam the outback following the murder of his wife/kid. This reboot has him surviving the landscape after an undetermined amount of time following the murders (I appreciate Miller didn't sacrifice a lot of screen time to it) and he's screwed up from it - both visibly and with his general demeanor. Mad Max 1.5 :3

Zubz

Banned
Onward to the second!

Also; small semi-spoiler in a sense:

I know it's a reboot but could you, in a sense, place it between the first and second chronologically? The first culminates in Max becoming a shell of his former self and destined to roam the outback following the murder of his wife/kid. This reboot has him surviving the landscape after an undetermined amount of time following the murders (I appreciate Miller didn't sacrifice a lot of screen time to it) and he's visibly screwed up from it - both visibly and with his general demeanor. Mad Max 1.5 :3

I'd be cool with it. I'm assuming that, because it's a reboot, that a sequel would follow its own path.

Unkle

I'd be cool with it. I'm assuming that, because it's a reboot, that a sequel would follow its own path.

To honest, with a little more thought, you could construe this as the second; happening across a society, big-ass tanker, Max's character defined by his past already, etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was so jazzed to see it a second time in the first week, but I got busy. Now I think I'm a little fatigued... I've spent so much time thinking about this movie, I might be a little burnt out by the concept.

But I seem to remember the movie being so much more than its concept.. It was like being on a roller coaster or hearing a great song again. The experience was visceral.

GAF, convince me to see it again ><

I was so jazzed to see it a second time in the first week, but I got busy. Now I think I'm a little fatigued... I've spent so much time thinking about this movie, I might be a little burnt out by the concept.

But I seem to remember the movie being so much more than its concept.. It was like being on a roller coaster or hearing a great song again. The experience was visceral.

GAF, convince me to see it again ><

Maybe give it time then.

I haven't been burnt out by it. Things will wind down, of course, but I think the movie is of the kind that holds up. I've only seen it once, and I'm waiting for the blu-ray.

Top Bottom