• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Ralemont

not me
Just saw this. Everything I could say has been said, but I just wanted to stress that whatever audio tinkering they did with tom hardy's voice was incredible. Every time he said something it felt like....I'm not sure. Like the equivalent of plugging in an acoustic guitar.

Onward to the second!

Also; small semi-spoiler in a sense:

I know it's a reboot but could you, in a sense, place it between the first and second chronologically? The first culminates in Max becoming a shell of his former self and destined to roam the outback following the murder of his wife/kid. This reboot has him surviving the landscape after an undetermined amount of time following the murders (I appreciate Miller didn't sacrifice a lot of screen time to it) and he's visibly screwed up from it - both visibly and with his general demeanor. Mad Max 1.5 :3
I just thought of it as a reboot with a new timeline but I guess if you really wanted to have fun with it you could look at it as after Mad Max where Toecutter ascends to become Immortan Joe; but before Beyond Thunderdome where that little guy becomes Master. Hell in this timeline maybe even Toast becomes Aunty Entity who runs Gastown, later renamed Bartertown.

BraXzy

Onward to the second!

I know it's a reboot but could you, in a sense, place it between the first and second chronologically? The first culminates in Max becoming a shell of his former self and destined to roam the outback following the murder of his wife/kid. This reboot has him surviving the landscape after an undetermined amount of time following the murders (I appreciate Miller didn't sacrifice a lot of screen time to it) and he's screwed up from it - both visibly and with his general demeanor. Mad Max 1.5 :3

Miller said that you should think of these films as episodes in Max's life, not sequels/prequels/reboots. So your idea certainly is a possibility!

R-User!

I was so jazzed to see it a second time in the first week, but I got busy. Now I think I'm a little fatigued... I've spent so much time thinking about this movie, I might be a little burnt out by the concept.

But I seem to remember the movie being so much more than its concept.. It was like being on a roller coaster or hearing a great song again. The experience was visceral.

GAF, convince me to see it again ><

It may be the last time you get to see it on the Big Screen for the rest of your life...

Witness!

ODDI

Saw a screening movie was brutal, unforgiving, visually stunning and very entertaining seeing it in a regular 3D cinema does no justice, don't be me see it in IMAX.

Camwi

Saw a screening movie was brutal, unforgiving, visually stunning and very entertaining seeing it in a regular 3D cinema does no justice, don't be me see it in IMAX.

I would have, if fucking Tomorrowland hadn't taken over for Avengers 2. :mad:

It'd love for Fury Road to become a midnight movie event. People dressing up as war boys and all that. Shouting witness and spraying their mouths with chrome.

Kazuhira

This goddamn movie,it´s fu**ing amazing!! hahaha
My excitement level and adrenaline was so damn high that i feel i could punch through a concrete wall.
I need to watch it again.

Christine

Onward to the second!

I know it's a reboot but could you, in a sense, place it between the first and second chronologically? The first culminates in Max becoming a shell of his former self and destined to roam the outback following the murder of his wife/kid. This reboot has him surviving the landscape after an undetermined amount of time following the murders (I appreciate Miller didn't sacrifice a lot of screen time to it) and he's screwed up from it - both visibly and with his general demeanor. Mad Max 1.5 :3

Yeah I sort of want to put it before TRW in my head canon because Hardy's performance works for me in that fighting his way through this insanity more than justifies Gibson's confidence and swagger in The Road Warrior.

It doesn't really matter, though. What matters is that this movie shows us a Road War, whenever it was.

Unkle

Miller initially presented Hardy with three-or-so scripts and obviously the second's going to be called The Wasteland, I just wonder about what direction it's going to take. Will it be more introverted? More dialogue and less action? Will it try and one-up Fury Road with its set pieces being larger? That could obviously adversely affect the focus and grandeur of the action sequences but Miller's clearly savvy to that, especially given the fact that both the world and vehicles are effectively pivotal characters in the film.

I can't wait to see how it goes.

Skeletron

Saw this today. It was like watching the twisted apocalyptic version of a domestic dispute through the warped imagination of a teenage boy in the 80s who is obsessed with the aesthetic of Heavy Metal magazine.

Very well done, quite unique and worth watching, but I didn't think it was the best action movie ever. Not as thought provoking as the Matrix.

void666

Banned
I watched for the third (and last) time yesterday. Still think it's an amazing movie.
I dreamed of seeing a new mad max movie since i was a kid. The wait was worth it.

Christine

I watched for the third (and last) time yesterday. Still think it's an amazing movie.
I dreamed of seeing a new mad max movie since i was a kid. The wait was worth it.

Not last, surely. just the last time in the theater, right? I can't even remember ever going back for seconds, going out three times is something I've never done before.

I think I could repeat this more than any other movie ever on the home video.

zulfate

damn i dont know if my post was a spoiler and didnt realize the thread i was in , sorry:

what i love about this movie is the characters, i love for a good action movie to have that twist to it. the fact that the characters just add so much to what the current state of the world is. furiosa/ max's eyes tell the hardship of this world while the wives have soft open eyes taking the world in. nux is bright eyes and with passion. immortan joe with burning desire for his legacy. its fucking awesome.

i love how it takes itself serious too but just enough goofyness that adds a small human element to mistakes, it gives a grounded reality to work on.

R-User!

Saw this today. It was like watching the twisted apocalyptic version of a domestic dispute through the warped imagination of a teenage boy in the 80s who is obsessed with the aesthetic of Heavy Metal magazine.

Very well done, quite unique and worth watching, but I didn't think it was the best action movie ever. Not as thought provoking as the Matrix.

For now I agree: Not as thought provoking, but more intense!

Edit: sorry double post. I tend to forget to check if anybody has replied to my last post when checking in and out of threads and doing other things; and I'm on mobile, soooooooo yeah... :/

Miller initially presented Hardy with three-or-so scripts and obviously the second's going to be called The Wasteland, I just wonder about what direction it's going to take. Will it be more introverted? More dialogue and less action? Will it try and one-up Fury Road with its set pieces being larger? That could obviously adversely affect the focus and grandeur of the action sequences but Miller's clearly savvy to that, especially given the fact that both the world and vehicles are effectively pivotal characters in the film.

I can't wait to see how it goes.
I really don't know how Miller can top Fury Road. It's like trying to top The Dark Knight or The Raid...the bar is set unexpectedly high. The magic formula for making an awesome action movie (if you're not marvel) is simple. Do not treat audience like idiots by spoonfeeding everything and trying to create a larger than life situation. The Raid 2 kinda failed when it tried to make it a tale about The Godfather and revenge whereas the first one was a masterpiece due to its simplicity which allowed the hero to shine. All I hope is Miller does't go with "bigger is better" idea.

red731

Saw this movie on Saturday with my girlfriend.
We both fuckin' LOVED it!

NON STOP ACTION and the music.....everything fits so perfectly. A marriage. Really.

I really don't know how Miller can top Fury Road. It's like trying to top The Dark Knight or The Raid...the bar is set unexpectedly high. The magic formula for making an awesome action movie (if you're not marvel) is simple. Do not treat audience like idiots by spoonfeeding everything and trying to create a larger than life situation. The Raid 2 kinda failed when it tried to make it a tale about The Godfather and revenge whereas the first one was a masterpiece due to its simplicity which allowed the hero to shine. All I hope is Miller does't go with "bigger is better" idea.

change the genre. it's not going to be another chase movie.

he could do a survival thriller movie in the wasteland, more dialed back on the action front but still just as atmospheric and detailed as ever.

Unkle

he could do a survival thriller movie in the wasteland, more dialed back on the action front but still just as atmospheric and detailed as ever.

That's what I'm thinking. Much like the original trilogy, I think Miller's going to have it so each film can feasibly stand on its own. That is, they're all thematically different but are still cohesive in terms of world-building and all the other staples of the wasteland.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Something dialled back on the action will also be an easier pitch to WB, if the budget goes down accordingly.

Miller has swerved before, with Mad Max to Mad Max 2 and Mad Max 2 to Thunderdome. I'm sure he'd do it again.

Binabik15

Less cars, more crazy foot chases and brutal fist-fights could make the sequel action heavy but differen't, no? Hardy is also very believable as someone capable of breaking necks and surviving in a hostile environment with minimal weaponry.

Yes, I just want more of that Max vs Furiosa feat. The Wives and Nux(TM) fight. Sue me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I want a sequel with a "central piece", but not one that is a car chase again. What I liked about this film the most, that I want to see again, is the constant forward motion, and distinct lack of time jumps. It was one ongoing movement.

Infiltrating a warlord's compound, defending a compound, exploring a ruined city... something that isn't just another adventure movies broken up into too many parts.

CassSept

Guitar-FuryRoad.gif

This is 1:55 onward, right?

Donos

Did anyone see the 3D for this? Was it decent? I went to the 2D showing but was wondering about the 3D version.

It's fine. Certainly not necessary, but it doesn't detract from the experience either.

Yep, wanted to see it in 2D but the hall showing it had only 20 seats (in total) so i switched to 3D and a big hall and it was good IQ and very clear. 2-3 scenes were very well with 3D effect.

I think with the high budget blockbusters, 3D is always fine while the cheaper (or normal budget ones) tend to have to be too dark/blurry/ with ghosting etc.

Working on persuading my gf to see it on thursday again (our cell carrier has a "2 movie tickets for 1" promotion every thursday).

I want a sequel with a "central piece", but not one that is a car chase again. What I liked about this film the most, that I want to see again, is the constant forward motion, and distinct lack of time jumps. It was one ongoing movement.

Infiltrating a warlord's compound, defending a compound, exploring a ruined city... something that isn't just another adventure movies broken up into too many parts.

Sorry but isn't demanding a Mad Max movie without a car chase as ridiculous as demanding a Star Wars film without space scenes or a Michael Bay film without a single explosion?

Donos

Sorry but isn't demanding a Mad Max movie without a car chase as ridiculous as demanding a Star Wars film without space scenes or a Michael Bay film without a single explosion?

Not really. Also, it still can have cars and chases (how do you traverse the wasteland otherwise) but i think it doesn't has to be only centered around car chases and "another" big truck/bus/train for the action.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The most impressive thing about Mad Max is how damn focused was the action. Despite the fact that shit was puring sideways (and on fire) at every take, you could always tell what what was going on at any given moment, which reinforced the narrative and gave cohesion to the chases.

This is specially evident when you compare Mad Max with the typical Mahvel explosion-fest, which also has tons of badies coming from all sides, but turns into a colourful mess after a couple of minutes. While I loved Avengers (and I also enjoyed the sequel), there's no denying that Mad Max is the superior action film. Your mind never wanders during the action scenes: it remains fixed to the screen and plot.

Why is Mad Max such an amazing action film? Because it's center framed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't say there shouldn't be a car chase. I said the sequel shouldn't revolve around a car chase.

The first three movies did not revolve around a single big car chase.. They just had car chases in them.

Fury Road was as if they made a Star Wars movie centered on one long space battle. And it was awesome.

But you can only do that once. I assume everyone sees that doing a Fury Road sequel around a bigger, badder car chase would be trite.

Not really. Also, it still can have cars and chases (how do you traverse the wasteland otherwise) but i think it doesn't has to be only centered around car chases and "another" big truck/bus/train for the action.
Yup, you get it.

So how many reshoots did this film have to have since its initial 2012 shooting? I assume all films with Fragile were some as she seemed too young to originally play the part 3 years ago.

Finally saw the movie last night. Really awesome stuff. So glad the 80s aesthetic from the first three movies is completely gone - it was the one thing that really irked me about the series (80's feathered hair in the nuclear wasteland? Right..).

Camwi

The setting that Miller has created seems perfect for a survival horror movie. That
stilt walker
scene was creepy as hell.

Gastone

Just checked the BO stats over at Boxofficemojo.com

Domestic: $115,915,000 41.3%
+ Foreign: $165,000,000 58.7%

= Worldwide: $280,915,000

Prod.budget is $150,000,000

When i heard there were more i was surprised as i'm not sure where it will go from the ending of fury road but i also have high expectations for a sequel which is both a good and a bad thing

Syntsui

Just checked the BO stats over at Boxofficemojo.com

Domestic: $115,915,000 41.3%
+ Foreign: $165,000,000 58.7%

= Worldwide: $280,915,000

Prod.budget is $150,000,000

Those are really bad numbers I guess? Don't movies have to gross at least 2,5 of the budget to be profitable?

Gastone

Those are really bad numbers I guess? Don't movies have to gross at least 2,5 of the budget to be profitable?

Not necessarily.

Fury Road still has weeks to go in the theatres in the US and worldwide. It should have no problem getting $300 mill. Even though the BO amount might come in below expectations, you have to consider the VOD and BD/DVD sales and add that to the equation in the end.

Considering the stellar reviews, the word of mouth and the decent BO performance, and good VOD/DVD/BD sales (very likely), i'm confident that WB would want to go ahead with more Mad Max movies.

Cetra

Watched it yesterday. I dunno, I've mixed feelings on it. The music, the art design, the world building, the direction, the acting ... all that was excellent.

But I still walked out of the theater feeling very "meh" about the movie. I just don't feel like the film had quite enough characterization, cause I didn't really care what happened. It all just felt like a two hour live action Twisted Metal match.

I'm honestly excited for the BluRay cause I'd love to see more about the making of the movie, but I dunno that I'll ever watch the movie again.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For an R-rated movie of Fury Road's type I think they're pretty good for this point in time.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the way they handled the violence. I was expecting some really crappy, tacky CG bood splatters thrown around for added violence, but it was proper vehicular mayhem without much gore on camera.

It was brutal, but it wasn't as graphic as something as Neil Marshall's Doomsday (which was heavily influenced by Mad Max itself). People were sent trashing across the road and shot in multiple ways, yet it didn't feel crass or gratuitious. It was proper Mad Max violence. I love my gore dearly and I made my feelings on this particular issue rather clear, but it was perfectly handled.

Major kudos are owed to Miller.

andycapps

Watched it yesterday. I dunno, I've mixed feelings on it. The music, the art design, the world building, the direction, the acting ... all that was excellent.

But I still walked out of the theater feeling very "meh" about the movie. I just don't feel like the film had quite enough characterization, cause I didn't really care what happened. It all just felt like a two hour live action Twisted Metal match.

I'm honestly excited for the BluRay cause I'd love to see more about the making of the movie, but I dunno that I'll ever watch the movie again.

Maybe the movie just isn't for you. I'm not saying your opinion was wrong, but the film has a very sharp focus, and the characterization you're looking for just isn't really what they're focused on. Though there is a remarkable level of detail in the set design, the characters names and backstories that are alluded to, etc. It's just that they don't spell much of it out onscreen, IMO because of that focus.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the way they handled the violence. I was expecting some really crappy, tacky CG bood splatters thrown around for added violence, but it was proper vehicular mayhem without much gore on camera.

It was brutal, but it wasn't as graphic as something as Neil Marshall's Doomsday (which was heavily influenced by Mad Max itself). People were sent trashing across the road and shot in multiple ways, yet it didn't feel crass or gratuitious. It was proper Mad Max violence. I love my gore dearly and I made my feelings on this particular issue rather clear, but it was perfectly handled.

Major kudos are owed to Miller.

Totally agree. There was certainly violence but I didn't think it was over the top by any means.

convo

Fury Road still has weeks to go in the theatres in the US and worldwide. It should have no problem getting $300 mill. Even though the BO amount might come in below expectations, you have to consider the VOD and BD/DVD sales and add that to the equation in the end.

People somehow always seem ignorant of that when even that first Final Fantasy movie with a disastrous budget made its money back with dvd sales in the end. How do people underestimate these things or is pirating things the usual way they watch media so they forget about that?

Top Bottom