• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

People somehow always seem ignorant of that when even that first Final Fantasy movie with a disastrous budget made its money back with dvd sales in the end. How do people underestimate these things or is pirating things the usual way they watch media so they forget about that?

Are you saying the first Final Fantasy movie was a success?

ogbg

Not necessarily.

Fury Road still has weeks to go in the theatres in the US and worldwide. It should have no problem getting $300 mill. Even though the BO amount might come in below expectations, you have to consider the VOD and BD/DVD sales and add that to the equation in the end.

Considering the stellar reviews, the word of mouth and the decent BO performance, and good VOD/DVD/BD sales (very likely), i'm confident that WB would want to go ahead with more Mad Max movies.

At the rate it's holding it should make between $350 and $400M worldwide

bryanee

I just got back from the cinema.

Outstanding.

If any movie deserved to break records this year its this mother fucking film.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People somehow always seem ignorant of that when even that first Final Fantasy movie with a disastrous budget made its money back with dvd sales in the end. How do people underestimate these things or is pirating things the usual way they watch media so they forget about that?

Dude that was 15 years ago. The bottom fell out of the DVD market the better part of a decade ago. Movie studios largely rely on an increased focus on overseas markets now to make up for what they no longer gain in DVD sales... but that is all in-theater stuff.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Another example of how awesome my 61 yo mom is. I took her to see it and she absolutely loved it.

KingKong

I've watched the first two movies (been forever since I've seen Road Warrior and never seen the original) and man they're corny. Haven't aged well at all. I have some fond memories of Beyond Thunderdome so hopefully that still holds up

I have to say one thing I noticed going back and watching older action films is just how much better the average movie is today in terms of style, pacing, dialogue, sound, etc. It's kind of like going back to older games and noticing how empty and barren they seem now.

Another example of how awesome my 61 yo mom is. I took her to see it and she absolutely loved it.

Your 61 years old mom is totes AWESOME!!! :D

I has tickits! Going again to ride the Fury Road tonight! 10 hours and counting~ At work right now and all I can hear in my head is the soundtrack XD

jhakdjfgsdkfhsdkfjsdk

Cant wait ^_____^

AkuMifune

Banned
I've watched the first two movies (been forever since I've seen Road Warrior and never seen the original) and man they're corny. Haven't aged well at all. I have some fond memories of Beyond Thunderdome so hopefully that still holds up

I have to say one thing I noticed going back and watching older action films is just how much better the average movie is today in terms of style, pacing, dialogue, sound, etc. It's kind of like going back to older games and noticing how empty and barren they seem now.

That's crazy talk. The pacing in the road warrior is what makes that final chase so impactful. Fury Road might be the best action movie since, but it still doesn't touch the masterclass of filmmaking that one is.

Beyond Thunderdome is still an enjoyable mess though.

Those are really bad numbers I guess? Don't movies have to gross at least 2,5 of the budget to be profitable?

If it keeps going a bit it should do ok, but the movie is going to likely have it tough, possibly break even at least but making any significant profit is going to be tough.

Chris R

Saw it today.

11 AM showing, there were at least 30 people in the theater.

I really enjoyed it, and that's with zero previous Max info under my belt.

Is there going to be a Sequel and if so do we know the basic plot points? One thing I could see them doing is looking beyond the salt since they set it up so nicely but other than that I don't know.

SeppOCE

Just saw the movie last night.

I 90% hated it honestly.

The beginning 30 minutes had me really intrigued and invested into the slightly re imagined world of of Mad Max and I must say after what, 30 years? Miller does a freaking amazing job at bringing the atmosphere and setting of Mad Max to life in terms of modern day movies. But after that 30 minutes the movie just kinda dragged on for me and I really didn't get enough from the characters to want to keep watching. Max and Furiosa seemed to click way too fast but I guess if you suspend disbelief it works. I loved that the main villain wasn't recognizable in any way, not once did they show us his face, but he is also a lesser known actor who had a big role in Mad Max 1. They do go back on this a bit where Nicholas Hoult once again plays a character where his face seems like it should be unrecognizable but has to have a little more screen-time so that people can remember who it is giving a great performance, this isn't as blatant as in the X-Men films though.

Lastly I liked that this seems like the first movie in a while that gives females strong figures to look up to without blatantly pointing out the fact or trying to lead me into an overly feminist mindset. For once men and women are equal on film without me being told that.

These are the points I liked. I do not believe you can truly hate something without liking certain aspects of that something so there you go. But I really wouldn't recommend paying for this movie unless you want to see what a sequel would be like and that is what I'm curious about. A Tom Hardy's Mad Max 2 (because this is what it is, Tom Hardy's Mad Max, this definitely isn't Mad Max 4 I don't care what you say) would be really interesting to see as long as it's another standalone Mad Max adventure. I can't imagine an entire movie being a car chase would work as a sequel so I want to see what grounds this new Mad Max series can cover. If each sequel were to be a different type of movie fitting into this re-created world I think it would have a better chance of being enjoyable to me.

In the end though I think I should have waited for the DVD on this one.

R-User!

I 90% hated it honestly.

The beginning 30 minutes had me really intrigued and invested into the slightly re imagined world of of Mad Max and I must say after what, 30 years? Miller does a freaking amazing job at bringing the atmosphere and setting of Mad Max to life in terms of modern day movies. But after that 30 minutes the movie just kinda dragged on for me and I really didn't get enough from the characters to want to keep watching. Max and Furiosa seemed to click way too fast but I guess if you suspend disbelief it works. I loved that the main villain wasn't recognizable in any way, not once did they show us his face, but he is also a lesser known actor who had a big role in Mad Max 1. They do go back on this a bit where Nicholas Hoult once again plays a character where his face seems like it should be unrecognizable but has to have a little more screen-time so that people can remember who it is giving a great performance, this isn't as blatant as in the X-Men films though.

Lastly I liked that this seems like the first movie in a while that gives females strong figures to look up to without blatantly pointing out the fact or trying to lead me into an overly feminist mindset. For once men and women are equal on film without me being told that.

These are the points I liked. I do not believe you can truly hate something without liking certain aspects of that something so there you go. But I really wouldn't recommend paying for this movie unless you want to see what a sequel would be like and that is what I'm curious about. A Tom Hardy's Mad Max 2 (because this is what it is, Tom Hardy's Mad Max, this definitely isn't Mad Max 4 I don't care what you say) would be really interesting to see as long as it's another standalone Mad Max adventure. I can't imagine an entire movie being a car chase would work as a sequel so I want to see what grounds this new Mad Max series can cover. If each sequel were to be a different type of movie fitting into this re-created world I think it would have a better chance of being enjoyable to me.

Get enough what from the characters?

Dialogue?

Because they do have conversations when there are those few moments where they're not being chased across the wasteland by people who want to kill them.

I wish you could have been as enthralled by the film as so many of us have been. But oh well, not everything clicks with someone as it does for someone else.

At least you gave it a shot.

Camwi

Couldn't disagree more. Yeah, they're rough around the edges (especially the first movie), but my wife and I watched the whole trilogy again in the past month or two to get hyped for Fury Road, and all three are fantastic.

I 90% hated it honestly.

That seems to be your one complaint about the film, other than that it dragged on for you (which amazes me, considering how action packed it is). There's no need to suspend belief when you take into account that they both have goals and need each other to achieve those goals in an extremely short amount of time.

Mad Max 2 corny...

Average action movie todays much better than the old ones

aEG8Wyp_460sa_v1.gif

They do go back on this a bit where Nicholas Hoult once again plays a character where his face seems like it should be unrecognizable but has to have a little more screen-time so that people can remember who it is giving a great performance, this isn't as blatant as in the X-Men films though.
This sounds like a criticism that actors should only ever star in one movie.

Saya

I really don't get that criticism. Does it mean that Hoult was deliberately given more screentime just so people would recognize him as an actor? Wot... Or did I miss something?

Nux was one of the best things about the film. His arc and acting was fantastic.

I've watched it many times. I see a well shot/directed scene , with the space well estabilished , easy to follow , nice reaction shots. It also has quite a bit of information in it , a kids behavior who tells me a lot about his condition , the relationship Wez has with another character contrasting with everyone else especially an old man who seems completely out of his league suffering an injury and being completely mocked by it.

What's corny about it ?

Maybe we can talk about Nathan Jones finesse appearance in Fury Road. Perhaps that's what you are referring as not empty or barren...

I just don't understand it, because he's dressed up like every single other War Boy. He COULD be another face in the crowd. There's no moment where he washes off his makeup or anything like that, either.

EUA

An okay movie. Bland characters and too much roaring and moaning. Man the script must've had 20 sentences or so. I can't really see why this movie is sitting at 98%. To be ranked that high it's gotta be a goat level shit and it's not.

Remove Mad Max from "Mad Max" and you won't see a difference, that's quite something too lol.

But since they intentionally sacrificed scenario for action, i can't really complain. Had fun, but completely erased it from my head the second I left the theater.

Yeah, I liked the setting and design, these are cool

Remove Mad Max from "Mad Max" and you won't see a difference, that's quite something too lol.

Completely untrue. Max is key to Nux who both wind up being key to Furiosa and the wives later on. Without them, the entire ending of the movie would be different or it would have ended about 30 minutes earlier.

Astral Dog

An okay movie. Bland characters and too much roaring and moaning. Man the script must've had 20 sentences or so. I can't really see why this movie is sitting at 98%. To be ranked that high it's gotta be a goat level shit and it's not.

But since they intentionally sacrificed scenario for action, i can't really complain. Had fun, but completely erased it from my head the second I left the theater.

even with that i thought it has more dialogue than your average blockbuster action film :p

1- Like Anton said, you remove Mad Max, and you don't have a movie.

2- Maybe you just needed more dialogue, I don't know. The characterization is fine, even great. A lot happens, they just don't talk about it. Personally, I think the excessive dialogue and exposition is one of the main issues with most blockbusters. Most just treat audiences like idiots. They seem too worried to alienate them so they tend to spell everything out in the lamest ways. What Fury Road did felt fresh to me.

3- He didn't sacrifice anything for action.

I needed to see this a second time and finally did. Even though I recognized how great it was, I didn't feel the movie at all, probably becuase wrong expectations. Second view hit me like a truck, I'm in love with this movie now.

Sagely

Saw this at the weekend was completely floored. Not only were the audiovisuals and action amazing (those character and vehicle designs, those stunts) but I loved that the film would show rather than tell. This has been mentioned by tons of other people in the thread already, but it really is great how this film respects the audience by giving us a fully realised world and letting us work things out on our own, rather than rely on wordy exposition.

There was also a surprising amount of emotional impact: I really adored Nux and he has a great character arc. Superb acting from Nicholas Hoult and Charlize Theron in particular. Honestly I wasn't expecting so much characterisation in a bombastic action film like this, so it's a very pleasant surprise.

I've seen a lot of great films this year, but Mad Max might just be the best so far. It feels special and left that lightning-in-a-bottle impression on me. I really want to see it again now.

Going to see this again tomorrow, last show before it gets dropped from the local cinemas in favor of whatever lame crap is newer.

Can't wait. I can't believe I'm even more hyped the second time around.

zma1013

They do go back on this a bit where Nicholas Hoult once again plays a character where his face seems like it should be unrecognizable but has to have a little more screen-time so that people can remember who it is giving a great performance, this isn't as blatant as in the X-Men films though.

I highly doubt they were thinking anything about his face other than what was on the artist design documents for the character. It's not like Hoult is the big driving name in a film led by Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. I don't think they were like, "Yo, don't put so much makeup on Hoult, nobody will know who he is if we do that."

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So I took my 61 yo mom yesterday and I'm taking my 84 yo grandpa tomorrow. Yeehaw!!!

Top Bottom