• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Poster variant C now adorns my office wall.

I am wishing everyone in my building a lovely day, every day, with the help of Max, Immortan Joe, and the Doof

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Miller beautifully and masterfully uses extremes so well in this movie. Loudness follow by silence. Dark pale colors immediately followed by bright vibrant colors. Violence and suddenly a soft loving scene. It's all so perfect.

Slixshot

Banned
So I have seen the movie 4 times. Each time I saw it with different people and one time alone. My girlfriend was the only person who couldn't handle it, and that's not even saying she didn't like it... she just can't handle blood and it was too intense. But, she did really enjoy the world itself and she liked how obsessed I was with it.

This movie now sits at my #2 spot for favorite movie of all time. Right behind The Dark Knight, for those curious. It's simply a masterpiece.

Which one is poster variant C?

Xmdb5NZ.jpg

geomon

That B&W version reminds me of the B&W version of The Mist that was on the blu-ray. Completely changed the feel of the movie for me and I consider it superior.

IISANDERII

Saw it, pretty good. For some years I've grown to really dislike action movies because they're completely predictable, unoriginal, hold no tension and are totally unconvincing. But this was great, imaginative, suspended my disbelief and didn't need to hold my hand by explaining everything.

Amazon. Not full theater size, unfortunately, but fuck it.
I'm always afraid of buying posters online. I don't know what to look for or who to trust for a good quality poster, so I've mostly avoided movie posters. Any tips for what points out a good listing from a bad one?

Like I've found a few 27x40 listings for version c on eBay, but I'm not sure what separates a good one from a bad one.

EUA

" hey watch it he's a universal donor"
lol

But you originally said that if you took Max out of the movie, nothing changes. And now you say that all of this other stuff could've happened. You're back tracking and changing your arguments from Max doesn't matter to he was boring and now back to him not being crucial.
I was talking solely about how boring he was. generally, if you remove a boring character and change a plot to be consistent with that, a movie loses nothing. in what universe does "importance-to-plot" define a good character and good acting?

So, like every other Mad Max movie before it?

Max has always been just kind of there, stumbling upon some situation and just ending up reluctantly helping people. Except maybe in the very first movie, but that one was boring as all hell so who cares.
i see. thank you very much for the clarification.
power to all who think characters like mad max are interesting to watch.

Blader

I was talking solely about how boring he was. generally, if you remove a boring character and change a plot to be consistent with that, a movie loses nothing. in what universe does "importance-to-plot" define a good character and good acting?
If you have to change the plot around a character's absence then the movie isn't "losing nothing" by removing him.

Reading the art book kind of just shows why this movie ended up being so good. It being a labor of love that's been in the works since 98, all that time going back and forth and planning this out. In a way, I think the failure to launch the movie all those years has helped build up this movie for Miller till he got to finally do it.

Vagabundo

Reading the art book kind of just shows why this movie ended up being so good. It being a labor of love that's been in the works since 98, all that time going back and forth and planning this out. In a way, I think the failure to launch the movie all those years has helped build up this movie for Miller till he got to finally do it.

It's been baking in that man's brain all those years and it shows. The amount of creativity just assaults your senses. I felt exhausted at the end. So satisfied. Very pleasent feeling coming out of an action film.

I remember coming out of the cinema feeling the same way with T2 and the Matrix.

This one is an instant classic in my book.

Cosmozone

German cinema viewer charts for Max's third week:
1. (new) San Andreas, 178,983
2. (1) Pitch Perfect 2, (3rd w), 149,447 (-30%)
3. (new) Poltergeist, 125,429
4. (2) Mad Max Fury Road (3rd w), 87,241 (-38%)
5. (4) Tomorrowland/A World Beyond (2nd w), 63,335 (-41%)

PP2 having better legs than Fury Road. :-(
I want them for Maaaax! (Ostwind 2 is somewhere around, too, but erroneously they cited last week's data)

On a more positive note, I'm very soon off now for my third viewing. Storm is coming!

German cinema viewer charts for Max's third week:
1. (new) San Andreas, 178,983
2. (1) Pitch Perfect 2, (3rd w), 149,447 (-30%)
3. (new) Poltergeist, 125,429
4. (2) Mad Max Fury Road (3rd w), 87,241 (-38%)
5. (4) Tomorrowland/A World Beyond (2nd w), 63,335 (-41%)

PP2 having better legs than Fury Road. :-(
I want them for Maaaax! (Ostwind 2 is somewhere around, too, but erroneously they cited last week's data)

On a more positive note, I'm very soon off now for my third viewing. Storm is coming!

PP2 is a sequel to a cult hit made a couple of years ago and is rated PG13

MMFR is a sequel/reboot to a series of cult hits from +30 years ago and is rated R

the fact that MMFR is even hanging that hard is telling of its quality and of strong WOM

CassSept

PP2 is a sequel to a cult hit made a couple of years ago and is rated PG13

MMFR is a sequel/reboot to a series of cult hits from +30 years ago and is rated R

the fact that MMFR is even hanging that hard is telling of it's quality and of strong WOM

In the US, yeah. Internationally MMFR has double the gross PP2 has.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's been a while since we've seen Kojima this happy.

Awesome you go Kojima! :D

FUCK KONAMI

2015-06-0416_32_56-hikblta.png

Blader

My girlfriend really liked this movie. Which totally threw me since:

a) she doesn't really like action movies
b) doesn't really care for sci-fi/post-apocalyptic settings
c) doesn't like "ugly" art styles
d) more often than not needs some kind of romantic relationship/love triangle for her to hook into a story
e) doesn't really care about practical stunts vs. CGI
f) prefers world-building to be spelled out along with the viewer (e.g. Harry Potter) than implied and off to the sides

And, despite all of that, came out liking the movie even more than I did!

If you have to change the plot around a character's absence then the movie isn't "losing nothing" by removing him.

Yup.

lol

d) more often than not needs some kind of romantic relationship/love triangle for her to hook into a story
f) prefers world-building to be spelled out along with the viewer (e.g. Harry Potter) than implied and off to the sides

That's awesome!

Mr. Sam

I've seen Tom Hardy's Max get lots of flak. Well, I've seen Hardy's Max get some flak, which - for this movie - just seems like a lot. I personally loved the moody, enigmatic, reluctant Max and the way Hardy played him.

inm8num2

Hardy was really good, if a little inconsistent. I liked the grunts and whatnot - gave him a more feral edge, but beneath that the character had a heart.

Damn, I should have taken my wife instead of going with my office buddy. She has the same taste for movies. The most action she likes to see is TMNT.

Sephzilla

I've seen Tom Hardy's Max get lots of flak. Well, I've seen Hardy's Max get some flak, which - for this movie - just seems like a lot. I personally loved the moody, enigmatic, reluctant Max and the way Hardy played him.

Hardy was really good, if a little inconsistent. I liked the grunts and whatnot - gave him a more feral edge, but beneath that the character had a heart.

I honestly think I like Hardy's Max more than Mel's

CassSept

I usually dislike action movies and chase scenes almost universally bore me and I absolutely loved Mad Max. Out of people I recommended it to the most lukewarm reaction thus far was "yeah, I really don't like movies like this, but that was really great". And that's from a person who refuses to watch a film unless it's more or less light, easy and more or less grounded in reality.

Watched it for the second time today, still great. A bit of hype was gone but damn, I'd lie if I didn't get goosebumps during chase scenes again. Fantastic stuff, though I think I'll wait for b&w blu for the third watch.

Lunar15

I think the reason is because the characters were engaging and enjoyable due to very solid character acting shown beyond dialogue and simple motivations. There's not a lot of wasted time in the movie. You know what the characters want and then they go and get it. It's an action movie, but it's not convoluted.

Definitely not a perfect movie by any means, but it treats the viewer with heaps of respect and I think that resonates well.

This translate's to Hardy's performance as max. I thought it was stellar. So much conveyed with so little dialogue. He was very emotive and his direction was on point. The stuff he does isn't really all that relatable, particularly in the beginning when he should come off as an aloof asshole, but the little tiny notes and details really nail home that he should be a likeable character.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Rewatched Babe Pig in the City yesterday. It's about as hardcore as a movie about a pig can get. And I think they even share some elements

People always think I'm joking when I sing that movie's praises. It's a very imaginitive and surreal kids movie for sure. I LOVE the way they present "THE CITY"

It's been a while since we've seen Kojima this happy.

Awesome you go Kojima! :D

FUCK KONAMI

2015-06-0416_32_56-hikblta.png

Kojima meets senpai Miller. It would make me happy knowing that this is what he does at work on Konami time while he is still employed there. It must have been an exiting moment for him, and he made a nice choice in t-shirts too.

Top Bottom