• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Atrophis

Waiting for my second showing to start. I've got a couple of buddies going to watch it today, can't wait to hear their opinions. Everyone else I know isn't interested :(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
mad_max_by_thatnordicguy-d7sxi4c.jpg

(not my picture)

This picture is fucking with my mind.

ogbg

i cant tell where mel stops and hardy begins

I think it's all Hardy except for the eyes (including the top half of the nose and the eyebrows) which are Mel's

EDIT: It's actually Mel's neck and shoulders too.
EDIT2: Actually, looking more closely it's probably a morph apart from the neck and shoulders.

Here is the original image:

VLkc8Nv.jpg

Betty

Banned
Cool!

Besides, Kojima could really use some lessons from Miller when it comes to handling female characters... xD

Because George Miller would never put women in skimpy clothing! :D

NEDQnNxprPOxHK_1_1.jpg

Imagine if someone saw a screenshot of the wives and decided to never watch Fury Road simply because they found the imagery sexist.

How about we all hold off on judging Quiet as a character until the game comes out before we throw her and every single female character Kojima has ever created under a monster truck.

Toxi

Banned

Imagine if someone saw a screenshot of the wives and decided to never watch Fury Road simply because they found the imagery sexist.

How about we all hold off on judging Quiet as a character until the game comes out before we throw her and every single female character Kojima has ever created under a monster truck.
I assumed the poster was talking about the laughable characterization of the Beauty and the Beast unit in Metal Gear Solid 4, where each one basically had the same backstory.

"Grumpy Giraffe was originally a young girl in <insert wartorn country> who loved watching giraffes. She was abducted by terrorists and tortured and made to watch her parents killed in front of her. So she became really grumpy and kicked their asses, and then joined a giraffe herd or something."

Betty

Banned
I assumed the poster was talking about the laughable characterization of the Beauty and the Beast unit in Metal Gear Solid 4, where each one basically had the same backstory.

"Grumpy Giraffe was originally a young girl in <insert wartorn country> who loved watching giraffes. She was abducted by terrorists and tortured and raped and made to watch her parents killed in front of her. So she became really grumpy and kicked their asses, and then joined a giraffe herd or something."

They're not that interchangeable and the paper thin backstories are still more than what the Cobra Unit members were given.

Like most bosses they're mainly designed to look good and provide decent battles.

On topic: I really wish Mel hadn't gone cuckoo as having him cameo in the film at all or be involved in some way would be fun.

NEDQnNxprPOxHK_1_1.jpg

Eeeeh, not quite the same. The wives are never sexualized--the closest they come is when Max first sees them, but that's more of a shock, as in the last thing he ever thought he would see.

Quiet has specifically been sexualized/eroticized. Kojima has admitted as much. Still waiting to hear his amazing explanation for her clothing, but not the same situation, at all.

In fact, in all the Mad Max movies, I don't think any women have been sexualized. His wife in Mad Max was basically a damsel in distress, sure, but that's it (that I recall). Virginia Hey was an awesome ancillary character in Road Warrior, too.

I'm not saying that Kojima can't write/design good female characters (as with Boss), but comparing the wives to Quiet isn't a good way to prove a point :p

Cosmozone

the fact that MMFR is even hanging that hard is telling of its quality and of strong WOM
Yeah, it beat other genre films, Tomorrowland and San Andreas, too which is nice after all.

Just got home from my third viewing and it still holds up easily. However, I feel I got more addicted to the action scenes and got a bit impatient in the quieter moments of the film. Those action set pieces are a thing of pure beauty. They just don't wear off. More of them next time, please, lol.

Toxi

Banned
They're not that interchangeable and the paper thin backstories are still more than what the Cobra Unit members were given.

Like most bosses they're mainly designed to look good and provide decent battles.
Cobra Squad members had thin backstories outside the Boss, but outside the Pain they all felt like their own crazy characters. The Beauty and the Beast unit felt really interchangeable as characters outside of Laughing Octopus (who also had the best boss battle of the lot). There's a reason they're generally considered the least interesting boss squad out of the MGS games.

Of course, Metal Gear Solid 4 had so many writing problems that the Beauty and the Beast unit's weak characterization can be chalked up as just another one of those issues.

Betty

Banned
Eeeeh, not quite the same. The wives are never sexualized--the closest they come is when Max first sees them, but that's more of a shock, as in the last thing he ever thought he would see.

Judging the wives entire characters based purely on what they're wearing is just as ignorant as basing Quiet's on her getup, that's all I was getting at.

The character according to Kojima will be an 'antithesis' to the type of oversexualized characters we see in videogames usually, and until the game comes out, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Please don't fuck this up Koji

mattp

Judging the wives entire characters based purely on what they're wearing is just as ignorant as basing Quiet's on her getup, that's all I was getting at.

The character according to Kojima will be an 'antithesis' to the type of oversexualized characters we see in videogames usually, and until the game comes out, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Please don't fuck this up Koji

i can't wait for the game, but i have a hard time believing kojima when he's posting pictures of quiet's action figure with squishable tits

black and white version is gonna look like some impossible forgotten buster keaton movie, will be an interesting watch.

Well the color version is basically one huge love letter to The General already.

They should take out the dialogue sound and replace it with title cards while they are at it.

Betty

Banned
I don't doubt that there are such people.

When I saw this promo still I wondered if someone might see it and think, "So typical, action hero dude takes the shot while the woman hangs back and watches."

*sensible chuckle*

That's exactly what I thought, that Max would take over and be the leader.

Then I saw the Men's Right's Activists thread against the film on gaf and suddenly all preconceived notions went out the window.

Three viewing's later and it's all thanks to an insecure group of idiots.

ogbg

Well the color version is basically one huge love letter to The General already.

They should take out the dialogue sound and replace it with title cards while they are at it.

Miller said it won't have the dialogue (or at least it will have that option). Not sure about the title cards though! I guess they'll have to do something for those scenes.

Toxi

Banned
On another note, I'm going to have a hard time watching the black and white version on blueray; this movie is so damn colorful.

I don't understand the point of the B&W version to be honest.

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I think B&W can help add a layer of realism to special effects shots (within the sort of surrealism added by the nature of B&W, of course); it can help elements blend in more naturally. It's also a different perspective to the material. I welcome it with open arms.

Plus, it's just an option, and I think it will look interesting.

I am curious as to whether the screenshot posted earlier actually comes from the b&w version, or was just a pic snapped of what it looked like during one of the stages of post.

Because I do wonder if that vignetting effect is going to be applied.

I don't understand the point of the B&W version to be honest.

There are so many layers of homages to silent film in Fury Road (in many ways specifically Buster Keaton and The General &#8211; IMO one of the most films of all time, everyone should watch it), i think this is just one more way to honor the legacy it is working with.

Astral Dog

ok this is honestly one of the freshest movies in the action genre, beautiful score, scenography (for a wasteland) costume design, direction., lightning, etc.

One thing i liked is that the movie has strong female characters, but they are not in your face yelling "look at me! im with the action guys and can fight with a bad girl"!
One even can be flawed without losing much symphaty, like the dark haired girl that wanted to come back.
There is even a place for badass grandmas! thats not a thing you see everyday.on an action movie and they somehow pull it off.

Other thing is that the plot is fairly simple, a journey for survival and independence, there is no save the world plot, alien menace,superpowered characters (even if they feel like comic book characters in a way) its all fairly grounded for a film of this type.

The movie is violent, but the gore doesnt overwhelm the film, or its themes, it adds to them instead.

The major flaw is that i wanted more, not more action but more dialogue, more locations, more plot, its still very simple but i guess thats something for a future sequel/prequel.

It has become one of my favorite action films, i remember seeing one of the old movies as a kid, but forgot it enterily. i think the second is considered the best one, should i watch it? how much it aged?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

NEDQnNxprPOxHK_1_1.jpg

Someone already addressed this fallacious comparison, but I'll add that showing skin isn't equal to sexualization or objectification. Also the B&B corps had not only absolutely shit characterization, they also had the super creepy thing where you could take pictures of them making sexually suggestive poses (because it's so amusing to ogle abused and traumatized women LOL look at dat ass! >_<), and Quiet was designed specifically for "erotic cosplay" reasons and they released a toy where you could squish her boobs. Plus she's supposed to be a soldier, not a prisoner.

So yeah, not even close. I don't care what kind of hamfisted justification MGS5 will have for Quiet because I'm not going to play it.

Sephzilla

Someone already addressed this fallacious comparison, but I'll add that showing skin isn't equal to sexualization or objectification. Also the B&B corps had not only absolutely shit characterization, they also had the super creepy thing where you could take pictures of them making sexually suggestive poses (because it's so amusing to ogle abused and traumatized women LOL look at dat ass! >_<), and Quiet was designed specifically for "erotic cosplay" reasons and they released a toy where you could squish her boobs. Plus she's supposed to be a soldier, not a prisoner.

So yeah, not even close. I don't care what kind of hamfisted justification MGS5 will have for Quiet because I'm not going to play it.

I feel like you missed that person's point

Sephzilla

I'm pretty sure I didn't, but I also don't want to derail the thread further. If you have anything of substance to add you can always PM me.

Images/scenes without context are ripe for misinterpretation was the entire point. Basing opinions on Quiet because of her outfit we see in a few previous is just as silly as basing negative opinions on the ladies of Mad Max based on a picture of them drinking water in the desert. Metal Gear also gave us The Boss, one of the better female characters in video games in my opinion. So I think we should just wait until MGSV comes out before we pass judgement on Quiet.

Anyways, back on topic, thinking about seeing Fury Road again this weekend (potential third time). I want to see it before it leaves theaters around here. I hope they get this movie on BluRay as soon as possible.

Atrophis

Second viewing was great. Noticed a ton of stuff I missed on the first watch. Action scenes still got my adrenaline flowing and the feels were in full flow. The scene when they get back to the citadel and Max holds a battered Furiosa up...got me good. I feel so drained. What a fucking movie.

There is one thing I will always hate with this film though. Never being able to experience it for the first time again.

Second viewing was great. Noticed a ton of stuff I missed on the first watch. Action scenes still got my adrenaline flowing and the feels were in full flow. The scene when they get back to the citadel and Max holds a battered Furiosa up...got me good. I feel so drained. What a fucking movie.

There is one thing I will always hate with this film though. Never being able to experience it for the first time again.

Just gotta wait for that dementia to kick in. :/

I think that Morrigan is just pointing out that there is a fundamental, almost philosophic, difference in the design of Quiet vs the Wives.

Quiet's design is intentionally erotic, for reasons unknown at this point. The wives are not intentionally erotic. I get that it's easy to say that in hindsight (Miller never sexualizes them), but even from the trailers, there was never any indication that the wives were there for or held sex appeal.

I've never been on the "Kojima is a genius" train, so I am wincing in anticipation for the explanation of Quiet...but who knows? I don't think that Boss gives him a get out of jail free card or anything, though. Let's call a spade a spade.

Anyways, back on topic, thinking about seeing Fury Road again this weekend (potential third time). I want to see it before it leaves theaters around here. I hope they get this movie on BluRay as soon as possible.

I was supposed to see it a fourth time this past weekend, but it fell through. This weekend! I think 4 is a good number...then I'll be done.

Simo

Kojima recording Miller there. I remember when Kojima took a trip to Stockholm just to visit Avalanche and play the Mad Max game. lol

Probably watched Fury Road and was inspired to start thinking up some new characters for the next Metal Gea...oooooooh.

Kojima recording Miller there. I remember when Kojima took a trip to Stockholm just to visit Avalanche and play the Mad Max game. lol

Probably watched Fury Road and was inspired to start thinking up some new characters for the next Metal Gea...oooooooh.

:( would be awesome if he consulted miller on some ideas for his next game..whenever that is

Top Bottom