• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

It's rare that he smiles like that haha.

It's like a little kid on christmas.

CGypmWIVIAAD5J3.jpg:large

That picture makes me really happy. Miller is an incredibly curious man, I bet he knew of MGS.

My younger brother came back from his work thing in the middle of nowhere, and I was surprised that MMFR was still playing in theaters here (which is shocking, because english films get dropped ASAP as soon as "the next one" comes out, whatever it may be, you can expect a window of 2-4 weeks to see a hollywood movie here in cinemas) so I just had to take em to see it, and I took my Mom to see it as well.

The look she gave me when the doof warrior showed up, that knowing look with a smile.

She just chuckled and shook her head at me. I had to laugh and cover my face in the cinema because I knew she could see this move had turned me into a kid again.

3rd time watching for me. This movie does not get old on rewatching.

Movie was in the cinemas for ~3-4 weeks now, it will pass 300M soon and probably reach 400M after its run is one [~15 weeks].
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=furyroad.htm

It costed a lot to make, so WB is not rushing to announce the sequel even though Miller already said that he has new script done.

I get the feeling current WB higher up are obsessed with geek mindshare. The way the just toss money at people like Nolan and the Wachowskis, and now Miller, for making the movies they want to make, it seems to me they consider the potential cultural impact to be worth the cost.

Saw it for a 3rd time and still loved every second. Will try and see it again before it leaves the cinema. Kinda sad as it feels like its kinda being rushed out a bit even here in Australia.

D6AMIA6N

I'll be seeing it for the 4th time tomorrow. I'm doing my part, is everyone else doing the same? Just once more before it leaves theaters, but here, it seems like it's still got a good amount of times and screens.

IronRinn

Went and saw it for the second time yesterday. Was just me and one other person in the theater (early show).

Turns out I was right the first time: movie is pretty fucking great.

Cosmozone

Mad Max is almost at 2 millions tickets in France, it's a really really good score for a foreign movie. ( they aren't counting in money but tickets there )
Damn, congrats to France for superior moviegoer taste. It can get to 800,000 in Germany but probably not much more.

I got the Mad Max trilogy at best buy today for $25.

I've seen most of the first and parts of the 2nd and 3rd.

I loved Fury Road so I figure I'll give the older ones another go.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My first post in this thread since I was banned shortly before I saw it.

So glad this movie seems to be doing relatively well. This is an action movie that deserves to be considered a classic decades from now. It's an action movie done right- has a highly unique feel to it, no unnecessary exposition, fantastic world building and reveals just enough of it and in just the right ways, great pacing, and just the right amount of plot without any boring and drawn-out superfluous plot building scenes. The action set pieces, effects, choreography and cinematography were amazing as well. Serious kudos to George Miller- he made one of the very best and memorable action movies of the last couple decades.

BobLoblaw

Banned
It's pretty good for an R-rated film right? And combined with the awesome buzz/mindshare, and the fact that the tortured 15-year development would likely not be repeated... Warners should be feeling pretty good about a sequel I would think?
I'm sure they are. The movie has decent legs, but home video sales will definitely be high. Chances of a sequel are likely well over 50%, but the budget would likely either be scaled back or rated PG-13 (which this movie could've been without losing too much).

Decado

I'm sure they are. The movie has decent legs, but home video sales will definitely be high. Chances of a sequel are likely well over 50%, but the budget would likely either be scaled back or rated PG-13 (which this movie could've been without losing too much).
Enough that it would have been a significantly worse film. Remember, they had a pg13 cut that they dropped because it tested poorly in comparison,

Ppl consistently underestimate the differences between pg13 and R.

ogbg

It's pretty good for an R-rated film right? And combined with the awesome buzz/mindshare, and the fact that the tortured 15-year development would likely not be repeated... Warners should be feeling pretty good about a sequel I would think?

Yeah it's good. Bear in mind they spent 3 years developing a 3D camera prototype which was eventually abandoned. That surely wasn't cheap.

ogbg

Enough that it would have been a significantly worse film. Remember, they had a pg13 cut that they dropped because it tested poorly in comparison,

Ppl consistently underestimate the differences between pg13 and R.

It was rated 14/15 in most countries where those ratings exist

I still don't get this, what exactly was the MRA's problem with the movie?
ReturnOfKings posted an appaling article about why you shouldn't go see Mad Max, so The Mary Sue posted an article about it claiming that MRA's hate this movie even though ReturnOfKings and MRAs don't get along. The story spread like wildfire, nobody bothered to fact check, and now MRAs hate Mad Max Fury Road is the popular narrative. It's all incredibly stupid, but it gave the movie positive buzz so there's that.

That comic is cute, but I hope that person's thought process wasn't actually like that. Very closed minded.

Irnbru

WITNESS!! Saw this a fourth time! This time at the cinerama in Seattle because two of my lady friends were like... We want to watch something.. And I suggest mad max. Firstly, holy shit 80ft screen was HUUUUGE and AMAZING. With Dolby atmos. Best experience yet. Few movies elicit emotion from me... But once your connected to these characters... It's just an amazing experience. And the two girls I took absolutely loved the movie. They said it didn't feet like your normal action movie.. It has less dialogue than most action movies but it was perfect. I'm 5/5 on taking people and having them love the movie :)! They even said they'd watch it again. So woohoo!!

Witnessed.

I have to say. One of the biggest reasons I love this movie so much is the audio. Not since rewatching Die Hard on blu have I felt a movie with audio that feels so in your face, so perfectly articulated that each beat has an impact. That it takes your into the movie. I think coming off avengers and the shit sound mix that movie had... Yeah, this is a absolute eargasm.

WITNESS!! Saw this a fourth time! This time at the cinerama in Seattle because two of my lady friends were like... We want to watch something.. And I suggest mad max. Firstly, holy shit 80ft screen was HUUUUGE and AMAZING. With Dolby atmos. Best experience yet. Few movies elicit emotion from me... But once your connected to these characters... It's just an amazing experience. And the two girls I took absolutely loved the movie. They said it didn't felt like your normal action movie.. It has less dialogue than most action movies but it was perfect. I'm 5/5 on taking people and having them love the movie :)! They even said they'd watch it again. So woohoo!!

Witnessed.

I have to say. One of the biggest reasons I love this movie so much is the audio. Not since rewatching Die Hard on blu have I felt a movie with audio that feels so in your face, so perfectly articulated that each beat has an impact. That it takes your into the movie. I think coming off avengers and the shit sound mix that movie had... Yeah, this is a absolute eargasm.

WITNESSS!!!!!

OMG you are now one viewing ahead of me... I must rectify this aaaa

And yes, this movie is eargasm to the max!!!

❤

Irnbru

WITNESSS!!!!!

OMG you are now one viewing ahead of me... I must rectify this aaaa

And yes, this movie is eargasm to the max!!!

❤

Bwahaha! Witness sister! They couldn't believe so much of the movie were practical effects and that the females in the movie weren't simply damsels in distress like most action flicks. We were also the only people in the movie laughing at the comedic parts of the movie... Which made me super happy that they also got those parts of the flick. :D all in all and A+ film. If you have any atmos theaters that are still playing... Go see it there... The audio was just godly.

See you in Valhalla! Bwahaha.

ogbg

That's good right?

Looks good on the surface, but BO numbers can be deceptive if I've learnt anything from my lurking various BO weekly threads.

If it keeps holding at the current rate (-40% per week), which it has been doing each week so far, then it could make $400M worldwide. It's not spectacular but it could be close to breaking even from its theatrical run.

Angel_DvA

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I find a strange overlap in people who tell me this film didn't have enough of a story and people who tell me that popcorn movies like Transformers don't need a good story.

Not quite sure why this is.

Actually, I know the reason: it's that Mad Max doesn't have many plot points, while those kind of action movies often have too many plot points. People like when there's lots of moving around because they don't get bored. They feel like things "happened". In Mad Max, the plot is pretty simple. But that doesn't mean the story isn't engaging. That's difference, at least to me.

I love you. This is expertly and perfectly worded.

Plot =/= good storytelling

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Almost felt asleep. Twice.
"Let's run that way. Oh there's nothing here. Let's go back."
What am I missing here ?
I really wanted to like this movie, but god I was glad it was over in the end.

Savitar

Almost felt asleep. Twice.
"Let's run that way. Oh there's nothing here. Let's go back."
What am I missing here ?
I really wanted to like this movie, but god I was glad it was over in the end.

I can't have you tied up, strapped onto a camel and have a giant porcelain head over your own as you are exiled to a desert but it's what I want to do.

Top Bottom