• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

New002

Almost felt asleep. Twice.
"Let's run that way. Oh there's nothing here. Let's go back."
What am I missing here ?
I really wanted to like this movie, but god I was glad it was over in the end.

You're not missing anything if you watched it. It simply wasn't for you. I'm glad I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd be sad if I found this movie boring :(

I may be going to see it a third time tomorrow.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Nuance and characterization.

And some of the best action in the last 20 years.

Everyone on screen felt shallow. What characterization ?

I can't have you tied up, strapped onto a camel and have a giant porcelain head over your own as you are exiled to a desert but it's what I want to do.

You should send this to George Miller. It's a better script than this movie.

Savitar

Everyone on screen felt shallow. What characterization ?

You should send this to George Miller. It's a better script than this movie.

latest

Third movie.

Yeah I got the animal wrong.

I saw this on opening weekend and I liked it and really appreciate the little CGI it used but I didn't feel compelled to see it again. I'm not as overly obsessive about this movie but at the same time I feel like I should be?

nOoblet16

This was an amazing amazing movie !
The last time I enjoyed an action movie this much was when I saw Terminator 2 for the first time. The soundtrack was brilliant too.

I only watched the 2D version though but how good is the 3D in this? Most of the time the movies don't even use 3D outside of few scenes and it's so subtle that it might as well be 2D with low brightness.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I saw this on opening weekend and I liked it and really appreciate the little CGI it used but I didn't feel compelled to see it again. I'm not as overly obsessive about this movie but at the same time I feel like I should be?

I will say this: it's even better the second time. I went last night with a friend who hadn't seen it yet. Somehow, even knowing what was coming, it topped my initial viewing.

The movie is genius, through and through, and will forever ride eternal through the gates of Valhalla, shiny and chrome!

The rest of the big summer movies out right now or close to release?? Mediocre!

Quixzlizx

What am I missing here ?

Any movie's premise can sound stupidly simple if you're obtusely reductionist about it. We were having some fun doing that to other movies earlier in the thread when someone else tried to make the same silly point you are.

Edit: It could've been in the spoiler thread, but my point still applies.

Seeing it for a second time since opening day right now! OMG! I'm happy to see there's a pretty good smattering of people here and I'm here with 3 other ladies, two who haven't seen it yet :) Eeeee!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The MRA complaint was odd. I didn't find the film to be feminist. Wasn't it just that one site? Return of kings or something?

zma1013

What am I missing here ?

You missed a beautiful and incredibly unique, lovingly crafted action movie with a refreshingly simple plot that's oozing with details meticulously dealt throughout that build upon the characters and world in a way many other movies would rather haphazardly rattle off like bullet points on a checklist with reckless abandon instead.

ugoo18

That moment when you're out with friends for dinner and the topic of movies comes up an someone says they found San Andreas to be a better movie than Fury Road.... :/

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
That moment when you're out with friends for dinner and the topic of movies comes up an someone says they found San Andreas to be a better movie than Fury Road.... :/

Heh There's no accounting for taste, and everyone has an opinion---but goddamn that is terrible.

Now I'm really curious what Miller's version of Contact would have been like.

I really love his take on exposition and trusting the audience. One of the things that make Fury Road great.

yeah i'm sure it would have been a very visual film. awesome how he worked with carl sagan for a year

i dunno if the wasteland sequel will be as exposition-light as this though, one thing's clear with miller is that he likes to change things up. whatever i'm really excited to hear what his next project is

i pray to God WB throws him a bone and doesn't cancel whatever he decides to work on, he's in his prime.

yeah i'm sure it would have been a very visual film. awesome how he worked with carl sagan for a year

i dunno if the wasteland sequel will be as exposition-light as this though, one thing's clear with miller is that he likes to change things up. whatever i'm really excited to hear what his next project is

i pray to God WB throws him a bone and doesn't cancel whatever he decides to work on, he's in his prime.

Rewatched Thunderdome a few days ago............I'd be OK with a more talky Fury Road sequel. Thunderdome is underrated brehs. The PG13 fight scene when Max
goes back to Bartertown with the kids
is annoying, but the kids themselves ain't that bad. The first and last acts are pretty fun and Max is talking a lot throughout.

And as much as I love Contact, a George MIller version of that would be very interesting.

KeRaSh

So I finally had time to see this movie last friday. Went there with my wife, her sister and a friend. My wife and her sister have never seen a Mad Max movie before so they didn't really know what to expect.
I kept peeking over to see their reactions and for quite some time they seemed pretty bored by the movie. It took me a while to get into the tone of the movie myself, but I was thoroughly enjoying it.
After we walked out I asked them what they thought of the movie and was surprised when they said the really liked it. My wife even suggested that we could watch the original movies. I knew she was a keeper but that was still unexpected.

Great movie all around. It's probably been mentioned a million times by now but that
guitar flamethrower
guy way the MVP for sure.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So much countries are missing on the foreign count now and I don't know why, Germany is missing or France for example where the movie is killing it ( almost 2 millions people have seen it there already, it's more than Furious 7 for example ... )

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=furyroad.htm

Something seems to be wrong with boxofficemojo's info, or rather the lack of it. Forexample, Singapore's box office hasn't really been updated for a while now.

Rewatched Thunderdome a few days ago............I'd be OK with a more talky Fury Road sequel. Thunderdome is underrated brehs. The PG13 fight scene when Max
goes back to Bartertown with the kids
is annoying, but the kids themselves ain't that bad. The first and last acts are pretty fun and Max is talking a lot throughout.

And as much as I love Contact, a George MIller version of that would be very interesting.

Thunderdome was fun till the kids came into the picture. The whole movie kinda changed, even the soundtrack sounds like some kind of Disney fun adventure... the tone was so odd. And the whole finale was just so tame in such a dark series of violence, the action was more comical than anything.

jett

D-Member
Something seems to be wrong with boxofficemojo's info, or rather the lack of it. Forexample, Singapore's box office hasn't really been updated for a while now.

BOM as it existed pretty much died when iMDB momentarily killed the website last year. Now we have a skeleton version of it. Many international charts have not been updated since last November. iMDB/Amazon doesn't give a single fuck. Whatever plans they have for the website, it certainly won't be good news for the rest of us.

Man, wow. I mean, I enjoyed San Andreas for what it was. It was an over the top goofy popcorn flick. But, Mad Max is on a whole different level of action. That's a crazy opinion. But, I guess, everyone is different. Still though....

Saw this yesterday. Plenty of action and set pieces, lots of creativity and world-building. For some reason my favourite part was
when Max and Nux fight Furiosa while chained together.

Toxi

Banned
I just want to say that I have decided that Mad Max Fury Road is the best action movie I have ever seen.

Yes, better than Terminator, Terminator 2, and Aliens. It's just amazing how much Fury Road has for rewatches and how much passion the movie has. You can tell George Miller fucking adored chase scenes to the point that this movie is just a two hour long love letter to car chases.

What was up with his blood that made him a blood bank to start the movie?

he's a type O negative blood type, basically he's a universal donor. his blood can be donated to any other type. The war boys are irradiated and seems that as they get closer to death the need transfusions to get by. His blood was perfect for that.

Not a complaint, just an observation: the lack of diversity in the movie. Besides Zoe Kravitz as one of the wives, I don't recall seeing any. Is it a consequence of the geography?

KingK

Finally saw the movie last night and i fucking loved it. Absolutely beautiful action sequences. None of the friends i went with liked it though. One said it was alright and the other 3 said it was boring...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
BOM as it existed pretty much died when iMDB momentarily killed the website last year. Now we have a skeleton version of it. Many international charts have not been updated since last November. iMDB/Amazon doesn't give a single fuck. Whatever plans they have for the website, it certainly won't be good news for the rest of us.

I thought that was some error or bug. So something did happen or is happening. Bad news for people who like watching the charts.

On topic, I really want to watch this again...I hope the Blu-ray comes soon.

KingK

your friends are MEDIOCRE
Lol agreed.

Also, i just realized one of the girls is Lenny Kravitz daughter. Goddamn was she hot. It was hard to pay attention to the action when she was on screen. Speaking of the escaped "breeders" though, i was really impressed by the amount of growth and character development they went through with so little dialogue. The movie was really good at applying the show, don't tell philosophy.

Lol agreed.

Also, i just realized one of the girls is Lenny Kravitz daughter. Goddamn was she hot. It was hard to pay attention to the action when she was on screen. Speaking of the escaped "breeders" though, i was really impressed by the amount of growth and character development they went through with so little dialogue. The movie was really good at applying the show, don't tell philosophy.

Also the redhead is Elvis' granddaughter.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I just want to say that I have decided that Mad Max Fury Road is the best action movie I have ever seen.

Yes, better than Terminator, Terminator 2, and Aliens. It's just amazing how much Fury Road has for rewatches and how much passion the movie has. You can tell George Miller fucking adored chase scenes to the point that this movie is just a two hour long love letter to car chases.

I can't place it exactly, but it's certainly entered the pantheon of great genre flicks for me, without question. Honestly, I would group it with something like Escape From New York as far as future dystopia action. Infinitely cool, infinitely rewatchable.

The movie really is that good, that special.

breadtruck

I just finished my second viewing. It will be my final until the bluray.

Great movie, but Im satisfied for now. I dont how you guys are pulling 4-5 viewings, lol. Thats dedication right there!

Toothless

Just got back from my third watch. This time, the middle act kinda lagged for me, but that's just because I'm really tired from the first two days of work. I think it's approaching masterpiece level though; the first 30 minutes was exhilarating for the first time ever for me. However, I'm done with theaters; too much money and too many other movies I want to see.

Top Bottom