• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Had several hours to kill so decided to go see it.

Really well done. Loved the cinematography and editing style. Almost completely non-stop action.

There are times though where I wish theaters would turn on subtitles.

That said, I also can't wait for the CinemaSins take on it.

UberTag

I caved and splurged on tickets to catch Mad Max: Fury Road in DBOX tomorrow.
It's my final opportunity before Jurassic World bumps it from its last bouncing seat theater in Canada.
Making a road trip to Toronto for it but, damn it, I need the full Fury Road experience.
Watching it in my local theater in mere 3D wasn't nearly enough.

Joeku

I caved and splurged on tickets to catch Mad Max: Fury Road in DBOX tomorrow.
It's my final opportunity before Jurassic World bumps it from its last bouncing seat theater in Canada.
Making a road trip to Toronto for it but, damn it, I need the full Fury Road experience.
Watching it in my local theater in mere 3D wasn't nearly enough.

Goddamn, that sounds like a good idea. Where in TO is still playing it in Dbox? How has San Andreas not replaced it?

Llyranor

Saw this on Tuesday. What a lovely amazing experience. This is definitely in my top two favorite action films (the other being The Raid - for different reasons, but both share excellent tight pacing). Clearcut action, great set pieces and stunts, and overall just an awesome 2hr car chase.

I still have the 'Brothers in Arms' track playing in my head

UberTag

Goddamn, that sounds like a good idea. Where in TO is still playing it in Dbox? How has San Andreas not replaced it?
Eglinton Town Centre Cineplex theatre on Lebovic.

Has two DBOX screenings in 3D today and one without the 3D bells and whistles.

No more opportunities after today so take advantage of it.

Simo

81TZv99qJYL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00YEZJZC6/

No word on a US release for the CE yet though.

RangerX

Banned
I just want to say that I have decided that Mad Max Fury Road is the best action movie I have ever seen.

Yes, better than Terminator, Terminator 2, and Aliens. It's just amazing how much Fury Road has for rewatches and how much passion the movie has. You can tell George Miller fucking adored chase scenes to the point that this movie is just a two hour long love letter to car chases.

Yeah I think I agree with you. I've given it a lot of thought as I watched Mad Max a few weeks ago but after great consideration it is the greatest action film that I've ever seen. The boundless creativity, originality and intelligence of the film is truly astonishing. Plus I adored the performances from pretty much everyone in the film.

Sephzilla

I just want to say that I have decided that Mad Max Fury Road is the best action movie I have ever seen.

Yes, better than Terminator, Terminator 2, and Aliens. It's just amazing how much Fury Road has for rewatches and how much passion the movie has. You can tell George Miller fucking adored chase scenes to the point that this movie is just a two hour long love letter to car chases.

I haven't placed it fully yet, but it's absolutely in my upper pantheon of favorite action movies. It's easily the best action movie I've seen since the The Matrix (which is one of my all time favorites)

Disgraced

I haven't placed it fully yet, but it's absolutely in my upper pantheon of favorite action movies. It's easily the best action movie I've seen since the The Matrix (which is one of my all time favorites)
That's gotta be saying a lot coming from someone who also has a Robocop avatar. (;

inm8num2

Fury Road is definitely in my top 5 without a doubt. Some days I think it could be my #1 action flick.

Raiders
T2
Die Hard
Aliens
Fury Road

What a friggin' awesome group of action movies.

Now that I've finally been approve I can start posting about how much I loooooooove this film! Actually, I was some of the first impressions posted in this thread, way back when, but I've seen it three times since then and it seriously has gotten better with each damn viewing.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is not just my favorite action film, but my favorite film, period. So saying that Mad Max: Fury Road has action that even comes close to being as engaging, visually and emotionally, is quite possibly the best compliment I can give it.

Seriously. Like I said in my initial impressions, this deserves so many freaking Oscars, and I think it's a lock for nominations in the majority of the technical and art categories. Hopefully it'll pull a Grand Budapest and become the little movie that could.

I have been seriously considering going for my fifth (and surely final time), especially since I saw it for free the first time. ;)

WITNESSSSSSSSSSSS

Sephzilla

That's gotta be saying a lot coming from someone who also has a Robocop avatar. (;

Well I guess for extra clarification, RoboCop and The Matrix are in my top 5.

I consider RoboCop to be a perfect movie in the sense that it aces everything it sets out to accomplish, and honestly Fury Road might be another movie I think reaches that level.

Booshka

Just got around to seeing this on Tuesday. Loved it, instant classic and definitely one of my favorite action movies now. I love car chase/crash movies, and to see a modern one done this well was extremely refreshing. I was worried it would be too much CG, but not at all, CG was done very tastefully.

Probably going to watch it again and definitely want to get it on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

Hoping for a sequel, looks like it is doing well enough to warrant it.

$315m ww now. Pretty good for a R rated film. It will finish as one of the top 50 highest grossing R rated films of all time.

It's rated R? Nothing too gory, no nudity, one requisite F-bomb.

In fact, afterwards I was talking with my friends about how good it was despite not being rated R.

zoozilla

I just watched this with my sister, who wasn't that interested until the Furiosa/feminist angle started to gain popularity.

As the credits rolled, she turned to me and said "That was the most incredible movie experience I've ever had."

I said, "Yeah."

It was fucking awesome.

Someone linked to an action scene from the Star Trek reboot early in this thread, and man did it look weak and dull compared to Max. I can't remember the last time I was so entertained by the pure action in a film.

The Mule

I just watched this with my sister, who wasn't that interested until the Furiosa/feminist angle started to gain popularity.

As the credits rolled, she turned to me and said "That was the most incredible movie experience I've ever had."

I said, "Yeah."

It was fucking awesome.

Someone linked to an action scene from the Star Trek reboot early in this thread, and man did it look weak and dull compared to Max. I can't remember the last time I was so entertained by the pure action in a film.

Heh, yeah, I had a similar experience. When I watched it with some friends one of them turned to me as the credits started rolling and said, "I think I forgot to breathe for a while there."

GhaleonEB

That 3 min mark is in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izawAsSnscM

So good. Why isn't it Thursday yet!

Quoting an old post as I read back through the thread, after my first rewatch of the film tonight. This particular sequence hit really hard on my second watch. The music, the clarity with which the entire sequence is shot, the way it's framed with sky-high stakes...it's one of the best action sequences I've ever seen. There are more elaborate and extended pieces in the film, but this particular fight just worked on every level. It's also pivotal to Max and Furiosa's relationship, as they transition from hesitant trust out of raw necessity and into working together as a team. A pretty damn good one.

I fucking love this movie.

Savitar

Quoting an old post as I read back through the thread, after my first rewatch of the film tonight. This particular sequence hit really hard on my second watch. The music, the clarity with which the entire sequence is shot, the way it's framed with sky-high stakes...it's one of the best action sequences I've ever seen. There are more elaborate and extended pieces in the film, but this particular fight just worked on every level. It's also pivotal to Max and Furiosa's relationship, as they transition from hesitant trust out of raw necessity and into working together as a team. A pretty damn good one.

Whats crazy is all those bike stunts were done for real. No CGI.

And the music, fuck the music is just so godly.

Monocle

I saw this three times and I can't wait to go again. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's interesting to watch Fury Road when you're well familiar with the whole story so you can focus on the peripheral details. There's just so much going on in this film. Hundreds of little nuances you can pick up on, like how Max being a universal blood donor is first inked on his back in the Citadel, then referenced as he's being hooked up to Nux, then paid off when
Max is able to save Furiosa's life with a transfusion.
And that's one of the more obvious things. I could spend a whole viewing just marveling at the prop design and all the background story that's implied through visual details.

Another thing: Anyone who says Max doesn't have a character arc wasn't paying attention. It's there and it's damn well done, conveyed through his interaction with Furiosa more than anything.

P.S. Nux is adorable.

I know, man, I know. It's a fantastic scene. Agree with everything you said. Also, I gotta say that I find the shot of the sand rising absolutely gorgeous. It's one of my favorite shots in the film.

I fucking love this movie too :)

GhaleonEB

I saw this three times and I can't wait to go again.

It's interesting to watch Fury Road when you're well familiar with the whole story so you can focus on the peripheral details. There's just so much going on in this film. Hundreds of little nuances you can pick up on, like how Max being a universal blood donor is first inked on his back in the Citadel, then referenced as he's being hooked up to Nux, then paid off when
Max is able to save Furiosa's life with a transfusion.
And that's one of the more obvious things. I could spend a whole viewing just marveling at the prop design and all the background story that's implied through visual details.

P.S. Nux is adorable.

That was also one of the sets of details I didn't stitch together on the first viewing, but did on the second tonight. The amount of detail that went into the universe is far too much to take in.

A tiny bit of continuity I appreciated: early in the final chase sequence, Immortan's car is shot at from the front, with three shots landing in the window. They're there through the entire rest of the sequence, though to the end. I'm sure the home release will find lots of continuity issues, but it was one I appreciated. There was a lot of things like that, as various parts of the rig got knocked off or damaged (doors, antennas, tires blow, etc.) and they kept rigid continuity as it took a beating throughout. Really impressive stuff given how much they had to track.

I've decided to try and get my wife to see it with me in the theater. It's so not her type of movie, but I think she would appreciate it. I might have to promise to watch two or three chick flicks in trade, but it will be worth it.

One of the few continuity errors in the film is that Miss Giddy and the Organic Mechanic completely disappear after a while with no explanation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
One of the few continuity errors in the film is that Miss Giddy and the Organic Mechanic completely disappear after a while with no explanation.

Not really an error. Its pretty obvious with Splendid dead, Miss Giddy was killed and the Organic Mechanic was probably somewhere else in the war party.

That sequence and the sandstorm one almost brought a tear to my eye from the sheer beauty of how those scenes are put together, particularly with the music cues in both. Just incredibly well directed action.

That sequence and the sandstorm one almost brought a tear to my eye from the sheer beauty of how those scenes are put together, particularly with the music cues in both. Just incredibly well directed action.

They were so damn in sync it was like they'd been partners for years. Actually even the five wives had this very well-established sense of togetherness too (and all this with barely any introduction or screentime for them), Miller was too good with this film I swear, i don't know how he'll top it. To quote Tom Hardy at Cannes "I knew he was brilliant but I didn't quite know how brilliant until I saw it"

dat rifle reload from Max made me want to stand up and salute.

They were so damn in sync it was like they'd been partners for years. Actually even the five wives had this very well-established sense of togetherness too (and all this with barely any introduction or screentime for them), Miller was too good with this film I swear, i don't know how he'll top it. To quote Tom Hardy at Cannes "I knew he was brilliant but I didn't quite know how brilliant until I saw it"

dat rifle reload from Max made me want to stand up and salute.

The whole movie's on fire, man. You can feel it from the first frame that this thing is pulsing with some kind of insane energy, then you're hit with the cinematography and editing and music and stunts and pacing and it's like

UUUUUUUUGHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHG WHAT A RUSHHHH

I tried to step back after seeing it twice to let it settle a bit and make sure I'm not losing the big picture here, but the hype just doesn't go away. I only stan for one living filmmaker, but George Miller has my sword forever after this one (not like he didn't before, but y'know). Instant classic.

Another thing: Anyone who says Max doesn't have a character arc wasn't paying attention. It's there and it's damn well done, conveyed through his interaction with Furiosa more than anything.

P.S. Nux is adorable.
I love how Max goes from grunts at the start of the movie to full on speech by the end. It really gives you a feeling that he hasn't been around people or trusted anyone for a long time.

Top Bottom