• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

GhaleonEB

i'm glad they didnt do that. the ending of the movie as it is right now is basically perfect

Max
leaving at the end did bother me a bit. He should have stayed and gotten set up with a new car and supplies, then left. Him just wandering off made for good cinema, but from a story standpoint, if he was going to go out on his own, I think he'd have taken advantage of the resources he had first.

My wife has agreed to see it with me. The price is two Nicholas Sparks movies. It's worth it, dammit.

Sephzilla

Max
leaving at the end did bother me a bit. He should have stayed and gotten set up with a new car and supplies, then left. Him just wandering off made for good cinema, but from a story standpoint, if he was going to go out on his own, I think he'd have taken advantage of the resources he had first.

My wife has agreed to see it with me. The price is two Nicholas Sparks movies. It's worth it, dammit.

I think
you could just assume Max gets a new ride and stuff. Yeah, that ending was mostly for cinematic effect - which i think it did nicely. It gets the point about Max being a loner across a lot easier

someone needs to do an edit for Beyond Thunderdome that removes the 20-30 minutes of kid bullshit in the middle of the movie. Just the beginning and the end of the film with a line or two in the middle to give you context as to why they're going back to Bartertown.

That movie is 2/3s classic MM and 1/3 what the fuck is this shit

I've watched it twice now, the first time I went in expecting something pretty lame not that great but alright. I was blown away and fell in love with the film instantly. I love Twisted Metal and this had all of those feels. I went a second time last night with my closest friends and all of them except for one enjoyed the film. Instead of getting lost in the fun of everything he decides to immediately get lost in his confusion and get upset over it. He then disregards the majority of the film and leaves with many questions that more than half of were answered in the film if he paid attention. Still a great fucking movie and an amazing experience, but god damn did he sour my viewing experience.

Cosmozone

Happy Feet is on TV today. In hindsight, I think there are some similarities. Will watch.

42,952 views in Germany in the 4th week (-51%). Too lazy to track the others. Fury Road beat San Andreas, Spy, Tomorrowland and Poltergeist here. Not bad. Spy deserved more, though.

Quoting an old post as I read back through the thread, after my first rewatch of the film tonight. This particular sequence hit really hard on my second watch. The music, the clarity with which the entire sequence is shot, the way it's framed with sky-high stakes...it's one of the best action sequences I've ever seen. There are more elaborate and extended pieces in the film, but this particular fight just worked on every level. It's also pivotal to Max and Furiosa's relationship, as they transition from hesitant trust out of raw necessity and into working together as a team. A pretty damn good one.

I fucking love this movie.

Having seen it 4 times already, that scene is still just as riveting to watch as it was the first time. It's perfectly executed from a narrative standpoint in the way the characters are built up leading up to it and from a technical standpoint in the way it's shot, edited, choreographed, scored and acted. It's quite possibly the best and most dynamic piece of action film making I have ever seen.

Y'know, watching that clip, it reminded me how much attention to detail there is. In most other movies, the thing on the front (its name is completely escaping me right now, total brain freeze), would just be there for show, but in this it has a purpose in putting out any fires that break out in the hood and helping to create a dust cloud that makes it hard for pursuers to see.

Incredible attention to detail, literally everything has a purpose.

we-can-do-it-furiously-detail_95000.jpg

fury-maiden-the-doofer-detail_86817.jpg
anybody looking for MAD MAX tees
https://www.riptapparel.com/

Calabi

Max

He was probably just going to the toilet.

Pilgrimzero

Max

At the start of the film he says something like
"It's all about survival". Which yea the end part made no sense to me. I can only figure he feels he hasn't redeemed himself for past "mistakes" so he can't stay.

I like to think he's heading to Gas Town to take advantage of the power vacuum. It's not really that far from Citadel based on what we see, he could probably make it there in a couple days....

Avengers and San Andreas hogged my local IMAX. It would have been amazing to view it in IMAX. =/

Avengers and Tomorrowland(which I saw in IMAX) had all of them around here unfortunately.

my seat was shaking

I swear I lost 10% of my hearing, but who gives a fuck

its mad fucking max

edit: for reference, I saw it in Southampton, UK

Hell yeah. Now you'll have a way to talk about Fury Road whenever your hearing loss comes up.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I like to think he's heading to Gas Town to take advantage of the power vacuum. It's not really that far from Citadel based on what we see, he could probably make it there in a couple days....

I like to think like the actor said, Max is like the littlest Hobo where every stop he makes he makes a new friend. Can't stay for long, just turn around and he's gone again...

Ronin Ray

I really like Mad Max but I don't know if I would put in my top 3 or 4 for action movies I have seen in the last 3 or 4 years but I am extremely happy this has done well and hopefully it gets a sequel. Hopefully the Rated R action movie trend will continue.

I like to think like the actor said, Max is like the littlest Hobo where every stop he makes he makes a new friend. Can't stay for long, just turn around and he's gone again...

That works really well too, but I just love the idea of Max just showing up at Gas Town and wrecking shit, getting a new vehicle and then heading back out.

maharg

idspispopd

Maybe tomorrow, he'll want to settle down...

goddamn now that's stuck in my head

MedIC86

Just seen it tonight.....holy shit....what a movie, the action scene's sooooo good....and the colors, everything just brilliant, and all the weird stuff they dont explain, its just a natural part of the 'mad' world..

v8 v8 v8!

pitt_norton

one week till i get to finally see this after sooooo many years waiting... June 20th japanese release date... c'monnnn let's watch this fuckerr

When I read that I immediately closed the article.

A romance between those two would've completely ruined the movie for me.

I would've walked out at the end feeling so pissed

Yep.

Max is cold and disconnected. Furiosa has purely her mission and goals at heart, along with the safety of her girls (and eventually, max).

No romance was ever needed. Would have fucked up Max's character. He's a crazy enigma.

I don't know if I agree with this.

To me, I think we need more relationships between equally empowered characters. How often do we see androgynous/masculine, powerful women in earnest heterosexual relationships in any media?

I can think of only a handful: Jack from Mass Effect, Fetch from infamous... uh... help me out here? To see a romance as a betrayal of the character, or somehow disempowering, is only an indicator of how much work those romances need in fiction.

I don't know if I agree with this.

To me, I think we need more relationships between equally empowered characters. How often do we see androgynous/masculine, powerful women in earnest heterosexual relationships in any media?

this is true but this aint the movie for it. max definitely aint the type and I don't get the sense furiosa is either, romantic involvement in this movie would have brought it down quite a few notches.

this is true but this aint the movie for it. max definitely aint the type and I don't get the sense furiosa is either, romantic involvement in this movie would have brought it down quite a few notches.

I don't think there is a "type" for romance. It's only because we think of romance as "passionate romcom ending kisses" or "vulnerable drama moment of tenderness" that we assume one of the most basic and essential components of being human doesn't mesh with certain personalities.

There are ways to show affection with subtlety, good writers can do so while forgoing the usual kisses and flirting and sex scenes. Apparently, if this stuff about the art book is to be believed, that's what
the director was going for in the ending scene
. Although, I think that was a bit too subtle if it was truly meant to be taken that way.

hah, i saw that look as more mutual respect than love for each other. they started out ready to kill each other (literally pulling the trigger too) and survived a ridiculous ordeal through cooperation and their strength of will.

i saw max opening up at the end to her finally but not completely in the sense that he loved her or anything.

CassSept

There was no need for romance between Max and Furiosa, them being equal partners worked amazingly well and is all that's required for the story. Shoving in some romantic angle for the sake of it would cheapen the growth of their relation.

Shoving in some romantic angle for the sake of it would cheapen the growth of their relation.

How so?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the assumption here seems to be that a romantic "angle" (appropriate word, as it implies that such interactions would be a very minor, missable part of the film as opposed to a subplot) somehow contradicts their prior interaction as equal partners.

The movie already had a mediocre romance between
Nux and one of the wives
, which to me says that A) The film did in fact have room for romance and B) That the problem is not "Max and Furiosa aren't the type to love each other," but instead "it's hard to write a good romance."

They could have done it phenomenally, breaking yet another trope (that all action movie romances are between vulnerable tough guys and hapless damsels) and they would likely have been praised for it. It only seems so cringeworthy in theory because we so rarely see it done well in practice.

zma1013

The movie already had a mediocre romance between
Nux and one of the wives
, which to me says that A) The film did in fact have room for romance and B) That the problem is not "Max and Furiosa aren't the type to love each other," but instead "it's hard to write a good romance."

I didn't see a romance there at all. I saw affection and friendship but not a romance.
The chick knew Nux was just a kid messed up in the head and was comforting him.

No romantic relationship was a great choice. I think it would have worked against the movie (with its themes, pacing, etc), and you don't really need it to make the last portion of the movie impactful. I think it works better as respect and solidarity.
The last shot of them looking at each other
is so good because of that. It gives hope for the future in this universe without devolving into cliched tropes.

Regarding the ending:

I imagine five minutes after the credits roll someone taps Furiosa on the shoulder.
"We're out of water, probably shouldn't have left the taps on."

GhaleonEB

I didn't see a romance there at all. I saw affection and friendship but not a romance.
The chick knew Nux was just a kid messed up in the head and was comforting him.
Yeah. Part of what makes the relationships between the characters work is that they didn't force romance into them. She and Nux developed a tentative friendship, sparked by her sympathy for him, something he likely hadn't experienced much of before. It was a small moment of human connection, which is all that could have realistically developed in that situation. And the tentative, fleeting nature of it made the end of that story thread that much more powerful.

A lot of ppl were probably hoping for some romantic scene between Max and Furiousa...but the world that theyre living in and the chit they just went through - it would make no sense for it. Max is a crazy mfkr with a good heart (although well hidden) and I dont think even a love interest would make a difference to him - he lost everything and only lives to survive - not to evolve? I dont think he would even want to have a child brought into the world he lives in

been seeing a lot of Mad Max shirts, and most of them are knock off of other art style with Mad Max spin

I think I might finally bite on this

simple

ouhhhhhhh wants

I have returned from my fourth ride on the Fury Road! And going again for my fifth and final time in 3 days time :D

It's going out from my local cinema next week. I AM GUTTED. GAH

Guys, guys. Go see it one last time. It's on its way out of the theatres now. Seriously, I dont think I will see anything as shiny, as chrome, for a long while after this bows out from the cinemas

;___;

vrrooooom, brothers. vroom.

Disgraced

It's going out from my local cinema next week. I AM GUTTED. GAH

Guys, guys. Go see it one last time. It's on its way out of the theatres now. Seriously, I dont think I will see anything as shiny, as chrome, for a long while after this bows out from the cinemas

;___;

vrrooooom, brothers. vroom.
I don't even know if there's any showings in my area for it anymore.

I got to see it a second time last week and out of the five regular theaters I have locally, only one was still showing it then.
I think Pitch Perfect's still going strong in my area though. ):

Monocle

So I've seen Mad Max three times and I think I'm going to shoot for at least two more before it's out of theaters. I have no problem calling this film a modern classic. It's so expertly constructed, so viscerally satisfying, that I just can't get enough.

So I've seen Mad Max three times and I think I'm going to shoot for at least two more before it's out of theaters. I have no problem calling this film a modern classic. It's so expertly constructed, so viscerally satisfying, that I just can't get enough.

i've seen it four times. unprecedented for a movie in theaters since lotr for me.

Monocle

i've seen it four times. unprecedented for a movie in theaters since lotr for me.
I can't remember the last time I had such an intense urge to keep experiencing a movie in the theater. Just picturing any of the scenes or characters, or recalling the music, gives me a nostalgic ache.

Top Bottom