• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I'm going to see this movie. I heard it was great and I'm really excited, but I'm just wondering about one thing. Is this movie very gory? It won't stop me from seeing it either way, I'm just not a big fan of brutal violence in films.

Fjordson

I'm going to see this movie. I heard it was great and I'm really excited, but I'm just wondering about one thing. Is this movie very gory? It won't stop me from seeing it either way, I'm just not a big fan of brutal violence in films.
Not at all actually. It's sort of restrained in that regard.

There's one or two scenes that have some gore, but it's brief and not that bad.

Agreed! I really dug his 300: Rise of an Empire score too so I was optimistic when he came on board over Marco Beltrami.

Isn't his next project Batman for BvS?! Really can't wait to hear what he does for that.

Yeah zimmer passed all the batman work onto him

I'm thinking that track in the teaser might be something leading up to his big theme

pitt_norton

... finally released on screens in japan, today, on the 20th of june... watched the first session i could...

... omfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffG

... i need a cigarette.

will make my 2nd time a viewing in the third dimension.

omffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffG

i don't have anything else to say that someone hasn't already.

... finally released on screens in japan, today, on the 20th of june... watched the first session i could...

... i need a cigarette.

Nice that you finally got to see it.

... i need a cigarette.

WITNESS!!! :D

So I finally saw this last night....
Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a huge fan of the originally, i really liked the subtle nods to the past films:
-toe cutters eye bulding
-babydoll face on back of one of the baddies
-flashback was interesting (i liked when he stopped the arrow with it).

But jesus, there was no reprieve from the action!
They took the ending of the road warrior, ratcheted up the action/cinematography/style by a 1000%, and then made an entire film out of it.

And it was amazing.

Wow.

The Mule

Watched it a second time. I felt more emotional. Tears welled a few times when the music hit the right tones.

Was able to convince my fiancée to come and watch it too. She's not really into action movies. She said it was intense and overwhelming, but she actually enjoyed it.

Reaffirmed that it's a great movie.

Simo

LOL This came across my twitter feed this morning..
19026644851_f8cde9477f_o.jpg

Watched it a second time with my brothers, love the little details like when they're lifting up the platform, all they're taking are breeders and potential warboys (aka anything useful)

Also, redhead waiu for laifu

Feebastic

Saw this the other day with some friends. Good film, enjoyed it, but I absolutely fell in love with the Doof Warrior (guitar guy). Considering a rewatch primarily for more of him.

That moment when you are driving nice and slow to work and then Brothers in Arms comes on your music player...

I WAS SUDDENLY DOOF WARRIOR.

:D

Nice to see JapanGAF now sharing the love for FURY ROAD <3

Saw it tonight for the 2nd time, with my wife and 12-year-old daughter. It's her (daughter's) first R-rated movie. She thought it was awesome, even if it did leave her with a headache. A smaller screen at this theater, so I was able to see more of the framing. Just beautiful.

It's been a long and kind of shitty weekend, so I'm skipping work tomorrow to go see this film (finally). There is 1 showing left at my theatre, so if I don't go by Wednesday I won't get to see it in the theatre at all.

FrsDvl

Its still playing here in the states though!

Here in Canada too but it doesn't really mean much, most Disney/Pixar movies still play here while the blu-ray is already out. Just depends how well the movie is doing. And i don't see Mad Max playing for that much longer.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Saw it for a third time on Saturday. The theater was still half full too, which was awesome, although might have been because a riverfront art fair was literally right outside that day.

GAF meetup, perhaps?

Saw it for a fourth time on Friday and could stand to see it a fifth. I swear, this movie never gets old.
You see something new every time. I was noticing how intently Nux witnessed everything the other War Boys did. Very nice character touch by Hoult.

You see something new every time. I was noticing how intently Nux witnessed everything the other War Boys did. Very nice character touch by Hoult.

Yup--really fun to just explore a shot and pick up on stuff you didn't notice.

This one is pretty obvious, but I always forget to mention it: I love the way Furiosa/Theron remembers or simply accepts the little "RIP" salute that the Vuvalini do when one of theirs passes away. It's a small little detail and I want to think it is Furiosa remembering that this is something her people used to do, but Theron plays it just right.

I think redhead does the same when she realizes that Nux is sacrificing himself, too.

mattp

so, my friend just told me he apparently downloaded a leak of the movie already?
maybe that means we'll be getting itunes/google/whatever download release soon? even if the bluray isnt til end of summer or fall?
i'd settle for that to hold me over until i can buy the blu-ray

Cosmozone

Saw it for a fourth time on Friday and could stand to see it a fifth. I swear, this movie never gets old.
This is so true. I just came back from my sixth viewing and I still managed to catch new details. The amount of stuff to discover is insane. Like in the scene in the third act revisiting the mountain bikers, the
giant explosion
is fully visible in the far distance. Also, in the previous viewing, I could finally understand Ace (Furiosa's lieutenant), as he addressed Immortan's warriors as "Kamicrazy warboys". One of the girls used the term as well later on. I love the little speech given by him when the war rig is made ready to be dispatched. I think he even said something like "Fukushima kamicrazy warboys"? It didn't sound exactly like "Fukushima" more like "Fukashima", I may be mistaken. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

This is so true. I just came back from my sixth viewing and I still managed to catch new details. The amount of stuff to discover is insane. Like in the scene in the third act revisiting the mountain bikers, the
giant explosion
is fully visible in the far distance. Also, in the previous viewing, I could finally understand Ace (Furiosa's lieutenant), as he addressed Immortan's warriors as "Kamicrazy warboys". One of the girls used the term as well later on. I love the little speech given by him when the war rig is made ready to be dispatched. I think he even said something like "Fukushima kamicrazy warboys"? It didn't sound exactly like "Fukushima" more like "Fukashima", I may be mistaken. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Hahaha, nice pickup! I'm still not sure what he says, but REALLY want to know.

I could watch a movie of War Boys just working as a team. Those early scenes are still some of my favs.

Did I hear right when towards the end of the movie they said they had 160 days of travel to get somewhere? Even if all the water on Earth was gone, where could you travel by car that would take that long?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Did I hear right when towards the end of the movie they said they had 160 days of travel to get somewhere? Even if all the water on Earth was gone, where could you travel by car that would take that long?

The salt flats they would cross is the ocean. They would also have to walk once they ran out of gas.

ValfarHL

so, my friend just told me he apparently downloaded a leak of the movie already?
maybe that means we'll be getting itunes/google/whatever download release soon? even if the bluray isnt til end of summer or fall?
i'd settle for that to hold me over until i can buy the blu-ray

ITunes release. Pretty crappy in both video and audio. Works for some movies, does not work for this masterpiece.

If you look, the tattoo on Max's back indicate he was captured in a dried up lake--there is a heavy implication that the world's water supplies have drastically shrunken. So, the flats they considered crossing were likely part of an ocean/sea.

Atrophis

giant explosion

I think you're right. I remember picking up on that when watching the second time.

3phemeral

He warned Furiosa that if she traveled through the Plains of Silence, even if she traveled for 160 days, she'd find nothing.

Top Bottom