• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

It wouldn't be easy and could easily take that long depending on which direction they were heading.

Furiosa said that they were heading East to the Green Lands. That means they would have been trying to cross what used to be the Pacific Ocean. Closest land mass is South America (Chile) ~11,400 km away.

Not that they'd really have any way of knowing any of that.

Furiosa said that they were heading East to the Green Lands. That means they would have been trying to cross what used to be the Pacific Ocean. Closest land mass is South America (Chile) ~11,400 km away.

That's about 70 km a day for 160 days...which is extremely short travel time per day, but it's also doesn't account for variables.

Finally saw this on Sunday. Incredible from start to finish.

"REMEMBER ME!"

Theron is great throughout the movie, but she's on POINT in the last 20 mins. Those damned eyes of hers.

3phemeral

Not that they'd really have any way of knowing any of that.

The green lands used to be her home, so when she found her own tribe, they all told Furiosa that she already passed it by (the blue lands). They were crossing the salt in hopes of finding something else and had mentioned that they might have enough fuel to travel across the flats for 160 days.

Hahaha, nice pickup! I'm still not sure what he says, but REALLY want to know.

I could watch a movie of War Boys just working as a team. Those early scenes are still some of my favs.

Yes, yes, oh yes. Me too. I'd like that. Just a movie with the war boys working together, making war and seeking chrome moments at the ends of their half-lived lives.

*____*

That's about 70 miles a day for 160 days...which is extremely short travel time per day, but it's also doesn't account for variables.
Er, it's about 70km per day. Only about 43.5 miles per day. Which is pretty low, but again, they didn't really have any way to know where they were heading.

The green lands used to be her home, so when she found her own tribe, they all told Furiosa that she already passed it by (the blue lands). They were crossing the salt in hopes of finding something else and had mentioned that they might have enough fuel to travel across the flats for 160 days.
I remember. Mostly the stilt people that reminded me of the Striders from The Dark Crystal.

I just remember she said they were going east. There pretty much isn't a point on the east coast of Australia that wouldn't run into Chile if you headed due east. (Except the parts that would hit New Zealand I guess, but NZ is comparatively close to Australia.

Now that the hype seems to have decreased a bit, I gotta say I still love it just as much. One of those special movies.

I need that blu-ray, and I need more of this universe (movie wise). I hope it doesn't take to long so that Miller can work on a sequel (legit concern). I just hope we can get a sequel.

ugoo18

Man, wow. I mean, I enjoyed San Andreas for what it was. It was an over the top goofy popcorn flick. But, Mad Max is on a whole different level of action. That's a crazy opinion. But, I guess, everyone is different. Still though....

Heh There's no accounting for taste, and everyone has an opinion---but goddamn that is terrible.

I would seriously re-evaluate your friendship to this person.

Man, wow. I mean, I enjoyed San Andreas for what it was. It was an over the top goofy popcorn flick. But, Mad Max is on a whole different level of action. That's a crazy opinion. But, I guess, everyone is different. Still though....

Seen it 3 times and of the 3 sets of people i saw it with

First friend i saw it with absolutely loved it (Also happened to be the person who has a passion for film and cinematography in general and is a known hater of the Fast series, loves his comic book related stuff but wasn't a fan of Age of Ultron but enjoyed Man of Steel).

The second group found it good overall for an action movie but nothing overly special (Kind of surprised by this one actually because they both definitely enjoy their action movies and for at least one of them anyway we share similar tastes in regards to action movies, we enjoy good action movies as well as so bad their good action movies).

For the third group it was a complete flop for them. One fell asleep, He also for lack of a better word dislikes movies that are slightly out there, frequently dismissing movies for example as having alien like things (Not related to the movie Alien but too different from the norm for him). Which imo is contradictory considering he enjoyed Age of Ultron. He wasn't a fan of Coma.

The girl had no idea what was going on and the third guy was generally luke warm on it, sighting Fast 5 for example as a more enjoyable action movie. Funnily enough the girl and last guy (Not the alien disliking one) both loved Kingsman and the last guy enjoyed Jurassic World while disliking Age of Ultron. The guy also wasn't a fan of Coma and the girl was confused by him saying "Fury Road is the strangest film she's seen".

Of the people i've spoke to that have seen it one guy who swears by Interstellar sort of liked it but faulted it because as he put it "It never pulled you in and made you feel that the breeders were of critical importance" an sighting the soundtrack as being the only thing of possible note within the movie and Tom Hardy being the only really redeeming acting performance of the film. He also wasn't a fan of Coma. He blasted Jurassic World for being generally dumb and not doing anything particularly ground breaking.

An of course the roommate who found San Andreas to be a better that Fury Road.

Movie is definitely not for everyone. I even thought that critics would be divided on this one, and I'm glad that I was left surprised.

Unrelated, but I find Fury Road and Jurassic World to have some similarities regarding some of the plot points and ideas. ;)

Rich!

Forced my dad, Mum and sister to go see it with me at the last showing tonight

My sister and mum loved it, commented it was strangely compelling and made note of how important the women were in the film

My dad preferred age of ultron

Anyhow. Watching it again, I really noticed just how stunning this film will be in black and white. The film is shot and put together with a very classical style, and the music in many scenes complements it - and this will be a unique contrast with the action. The scenes in the bog were essentially almost monochrome anyway, but in high contrast b+w, the scenes will take on a heightened sense of unease

Can't wait

Carbonox

s3ou1t.gif

I'm hyped for a rewatch as much as I was seeing the film for the first time. Not many films do that.

zychi

Banned
Can this be legally purchased/rented yet? I see it leaked to torrent sites. Usually its an itunes or ondemand that gets ripped.

zma1013

Can this be legally purchased/rented yet? I see it leaked to torrent sites. Usually its an itunes or ondemand that gets ripped.

I feel kinda bad for the people that pirated this as a low-res, pixelated mess or some off-screen handicam video to watch on their tiny computer screens. *shudders*

I've been repeating it a lot but seriously, I think people's faces are gonna melt once this hits home release. Seeing that mix montage gives me chills, I can't imagine what 12 year old me would have thought.

Rich!

I feel kinda bad for the people that pirated this as a low-res, pixelated mess or some off-screen handicam video to watch on their tiny computer screens. *shudders*

Actually, the newest release looks to be as close to blu ray as you can get.

A quick look at a rls blog shows its 4.7GB with a high bitrate and full 1080p. Basically, matching HD Netflix and the like. Screenshots back that up too. It's even got full official subtitles from the looks of it.

zychi

Banned
It leaked as a 1080p video. Thats why im asking. Usually that means theres a legit source. My home theater is perfectly fine for movies like this. My local theater had it in the small screen, not worth paying $15 to hear people eat and talk over it

A quick look at a rls blog shows its 4.7GB with a high bitrate and full 1080p. Basically, matching HD Netflix and the like. Screenshots back that up too. It's even got full official subtitles from the looks of it.

It is high res on android.

ogbg

Yeah, looks like there's an HD rip already. Strangely early for that kind of thing.

GhaleonEB

Went to my 4th and final theatrical viewing last night. It's landed high on my list of best films ever.

What I really appreciated this time around were small moments of character transition. When Furiosa barely makes it back into the rig as they start to flee the canyon, and Max goes from keeping a gun trained on her to handing her one. They lock eyes for about a second, and you can see the implied question in her eyes - do you trust me? - and Max's affirmative in reply. It's wordless, effortless character work to progress their relationship from antagonists to partners.

Another is when Furiosa is reuniting with the Many Mothers, and she tells them her own mother died, on the third day of her captivity. The Mothers perform a gesture, clutching up to the sky and pulling it to their heart, upon hearing the news. Furiosa does the same, slowly, first with sadness, then with a small smile. Without any dialogue, we know this is the gesture used to mark someone's death, and that it was not part of the culture in the citadel, and Furiosa is remembering it from her childhood in that moment. She's sad, but it's also reminding her that she's home. It's a brilliant bit of acting.

Nearly every scene in Fury Road is jam packed with this kind of nuanced, wordless story telling. Entire character arcs unfold with little to no exposition, but they work because of the detail put into every moment. That this kind of detail also extends to the action makes the film incredibly rich on rewatches. (Favorite detail this time: After the sandstorm, Max finds and opens a shotgun, to check if it's loaded. Before he closes it, he brushes the sand off the back of the shells, so it won't interfere with their firing. Details, man. Details.)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Do we know where this HD leak sourced from? I wanna know who is selling it so close to theatrical release. Or maybe the site just got hacked?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i was planning to see this anyways but knowing someone on the production staff i ended up seeing it a week after release. Movie was excellent. The stunt work and set pieces were amazing. Will probably watch again before it leaves theaters.

I went out with a girl I met online tonight, for a first date, and ended up going to see Mad Max. She was nice enough to see it a second time. I'd been wanting to see it before it left theatres, and am glad I did, but I'm still not sure of what I thought of the movie.

It was definitely a visual spectacle and visceral, not to mention absolutely fucking insane, but it didn't pull me in as much as I'd hoped. Maybe it was me being nervous about the date, or my ass hurting from the old theatre's chairs, but it didn't.

The movie is solid, and it's a cool thing to watch once or twice, but I don't love it.

I went out with a girl I met online tonight, for a first date, and ended up going to see Mad Max. She was nice enough to see it a second time. I'd been wanting to see it before it left theatres, and am glad I did, but I'm still not sure of what I thought of the movie.

It was definitely a visual spectacle and visceral, not to mention absolutely fucking insane, but it didn't pull me in as much as I'd hoped. Maybe it was me being nervous about the date, or my ass hurting from the old theatre's chairs, but it didn't.

The movie is solid, and it's a cool thing to watch once or twice, but I don't love it.
Man, I think if I would've seen this with a girl on a date I would've been pair bonded to her for life.

Hopefully she's smart enough not to give you a second date!

ugoo18

How do digital purchases for movies even work?

I've only ever done physical purchases of a bluray, how does the visual quality hold up in comparison and for example if i bought it from itunes (What's the android equivalent for buying movies) would i be able to play it anywhere or am i locked to wherever i buy it.

How do digital purchases for movies even work?

I've only ever done physical purchases of a bluray, how does the visual quality hold up in comparison and for example if i bought it from itunes (What's the android equivalent for buying movies) would i be able to play it anywhere or am i locked to wherever i buy it.

Android equivalent is Google Play store. The visual quality is quite good on iTunes, but still a step down from the blu ray. Audio it isn't even fair to compare them since the digital copies usually have a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track where the blu ray will have a DTS-HD Master Audio track.

marrec

Banned
I felt sad watching this. Because I already saw the movie and I wish I had a blank slate so I can WITNESS it for the first time :(

Also, Furiosa does not pull the trigger at 3:03. Anyone catch that?

Some early double-barreled shotguns have 2 triggers, one for each barrel. She was just conserving ammo.

Edit:

I think most basic double-barreled shotguns have this functionality built in still.

ugoo18

Android equivalent is Google Play store. The visual quality is quite good on iTunes, but still a step down from the blu ray. Audio it isn't even fair to compare them since the digital copies usually have a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track where the blu ray will have a DTS-HD Master Audio track.

Is Amazon Instant Video any good?

I'm guessing there's no site that always has DTS-HD Master Audio Tracks for their digital movies?

Is Amazon Instant Video any good?

I'm guessing there's no site that always has DTS-HD Master Audio Tracks for their digital movies?

I have no clue about Amazon Instant. And I am also not aware of anything using lossless audio for digital copies. The files sizes would balloon so much if they added that.

Top Bottom