• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Haha

It's a good movie, and I'm amazed by some of the things they did. It's just overhyped.

I'm more of a drama kind of guy, and like detailed storylines.
Different strokes etc.

For me, it's the first time in a long ass while a movie surpassed hype so effortlessly. I want to be in a freezing chamber until the sequel comes out.

marrec

Banned
Different strokes etc.

For me, it's the first time in a long ass while a movie surpassed hype so effortlessly. I want to be in a freezing chamber until the sequel comes out.

Considering how hyped the movie was at release... and how contemptuously it sailed past that hype.

Different strokes indeed.

Fury Road is easily in my top 10 of all time. This is coming from a guy who enjoys complicated story telling.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Two thoughts:

1. I personally wish there was never a sequel to this. Fury Road is my 2015 movie of the year and wish it would remain it's own, special self contained thing.

2. I hope the film and it's leads get recognized at the next Academy Awards. The movie won't win sadly, but Charlize would have a good shot at the Best Actress category imo. Would make up for last year's ridiculous Gone Girl snub.

Haha

It's a good movie, and I'm amazed by some of the things they did. It's just overhyped.

That's the thing for me. This, to me, reinvents what an action movie could and should be. The vast majority of hollywood action pictures had gotten so very stale and rote.

Trey

Still have to see this a fourth time. Perhaps this weekend.

Details, man. Details.)

It's so effortless. Truly the most impressive thing about the movie. It says so much, so simply and efficiently and effectively that you cannot help but appreciate the craftsmanship.

1. I personally wish there was never a sequel to this. Fury Road is my 2015 movie of the year and wish it would remain it's own, special self contained thing.

I'm sure George Miller will pull a George Miller and make sure the sequel does nothing to harm this movie.

Mostly because the sequel will have very little to do with this movie.

I'm sure George Miller will pull a George Miller and make sure the sequel does nothing to harm this movie.

Mostly because the sequel will have very little to do with this movie.

The concept of sequels/remakes/reboots hurting previous works seems ludicrous to me. The sequel to Fury Road could be trash and end with Max and Furiosa happily getting married on a beach, and Fury Road would still be just as good.

The concept of sequels/remakes/reboots hurting previous works seems ludicrous to me. The sequel to Fury Road could be trash and end with Max and Furiosa happily getting married, and Fury Road would still be just as good.

It just tarnishes the "good name". Look at how distraught Terminator fans are currently.

hamchan

It just tarnishes the "good name". Look at how distraught Terminator fans are currently.

Terminator Genisys probably being bad won't change how I feel about 1 and 2 though. I can sorta understand, it is a bummer that there will be more bad Terminator films than good ones. Like that point when there were more bad seasons of the Simpsons than good, broke my heart.

Anyways on different news, that Furiosa comic is supposed to be bad and lacks all the subtlety contained in the film according to this article: http://io9.com/the-furiosa-comic-undoes-everything-great-about-mad-max-1713368243

I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure I even want to.

The concept of sequels/remakes/reboots hurting previous works seems ludicrous to me. The sequel to Fury Road could be trash and end with Max and Furiosa happily getting married on a beach, and Fury Road would still be just as good.

Tell that to a coworker of mine. She went and saw Fury Road because of my gushing about it at work, and of course she loved it. So she asked to borrow Road Warrior from me to see some of the previous films.

She fell asleep during it and didn't want to finish it. She said she has a hard time going back to older films in series like that because they seem so small and tame. She said the stunts and action weren't good either. BAH! It was difficult not to go all Lord Humungus on her at work that day.

bvyRnMx.gif

Tell that to a coworker of mine. She went and saw Fury Road because of my gushing about it at work, and of course she loved it. So she asked to borrow Road Warrior from me to see some of the previous films.

She fell asleep during it and didn't want to finish it. She said she has a hard time going back to older films in series like that because they seem so small and tame. She said the stunts and action weren't good either. BAH! It was difficult not to go all Lord Humungus on her at work that day.

bvyRnMx.gif

But that's a different case and perspective entirely. Did her not liking Road Warroir affect her impression of Fury Road?

Btw, I showed Road Warrior to my nephew after I dragged him to see Fury Road (which he loved), and he liked it. He usually doesn't like "older" movies. He liked the similaries with the final chase sequence.

You should have said "just walk away". lol

It's a silly mental thing that I used to have a hard time with so I understand where that kind of thinking comes from. Like say there's a direct sequel to Fury Road and it's awful. Like straight up offensively trash. Every time you go back to Fury Road for years after that you'll be able to acknowledge that it's still amazing, but in the back of your head that damn garbage sequel is eating away at you, and all you can think of are the missed opportunities. Fury Road didn't suddenly get worse, but your relationship with it would be different.

That goes away with time, thankfully, as you become less attached to the hype surrounding the sequel. Either that or the series continues its downturn into crap and the classics stand alone, as if from a different franchise (Terminator 1/2, The Matrix, OG Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Die Hard 1/3, etc.)

That goes away with time, thankfully, as you become less attached to the hype surrounding the sequel. Either that or the series continues its downturn into crap and the classics stand alone, as if from a different franchise (Terminator 1/2, The Matrix, OG Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Die Hard 1/3, etc.)

more or less. none of these are tarnished by their shittier successors to me.

It's a silly mental thing that I used to have a hard time with so I understand where that kind of thinking comes from. Like say there's a direct sequel to Fury Road and it's awful. Like straight up offensively trash. Every time you go back to Fury Road for years after that you'll be able to acknowledge that it's still amazing, but in the back of your head that damn garbage sequel is eating away at you, and all you can think of are the missed opportunities. Fury Road didn't suddenly get worse, but your relationship with it would be different.

That goes away with time, thankfully, as you become less attached to the hype surrounding the sequel. Either that or the series continues its downturn into crap and the classics stand alone, as if from a different franchise (Terminator 1/2, The Matrix, OG Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Robocop, Starship Troopers, etc.)

Well, I get it. I just think I've been burned by stuff like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Terminator, LOTR, etc, that I separate them. If anything it's given me a better appreciation of the good ones. Bad sequels sure were wasted opportunities though.

Veelk

Banned

Well, of course it will have a negative impact, since they're interconnected by being part of the same franchise. Fury Road will always be the quality it is, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Hell, just the kind of society we live in affects how good it is. One of the biggest strengths it has is that it's a feminist movie as well. If we lived in a gender equal society, that aspect of it wouldn't be remarkable, but since we do, it elevates it more than it would otherwise. If the characters take actions that are not true to themselves in the sequel, then it will hurt what we've seen in Fury Road, unfortunately. It won't kill Fury Road as a movie, but it will hurt it.

Doesn't even matter for the next Mad Max movie though because it has as big a chance of being an amazing straight sequel to Fury Road as it does of being a PG rated musical where Charlize Theron returns, not as Furiosa, but as the leader of the tap dancing music group Max finds himself trying to free from the clutches of the evil Jennifer Hudson.

I mean, they could make Godfather Part IV Vito's Return or the long awaited sequel to Citizen Kane, and Godfather and Citizen Kane wouldn't be tarnished one bit.

Doesn't even matter for the next Mad Max movie though because it has as big a chance of being an amazing straight sequel to Fury Road as it does of being a PG rated musical where Charlize Theron returns, not as Furiosa, but as the leader of the tap dancing music group Max finds himself trying to free from the clutches of the evil Jennifer Hudson.

lol

Yeah, it's unlikely it'd be a direct sequel. I like the name. The Wasteland.

Quixzlizx

Well, of course it will have a negative impact, since they're interconnected by being part of the same franchise. Fury Road will always be the quality it is, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Hell, just the kind of society we live in affects how good it is. One of the biggest strengths it has is that it's a feminist movie as well. If we lived in a gender equal society, that aspect of it wouldn't be remarkable, but since we do, it elevates it more than it would otherwise. If the characters take actions that are not true to themselves in the sequel, then it will hurt what we've seen in Fury Road, unfortunately. It won't kill Fury Road as a movie, but it will hurt it.

I vehemently disagree with all of this. I also think it's kind of pretentious to think you need to have a complete grasp of the "zeitgeist" to truly appreciate the quality of a movie. Good movies are good movies regardless of the context; otherwise it would be impossible for a movie to age well.

Lethe82

Banned
Haha

Fair enough though it's a movie where you don't really notice the details until a second and third viewing. It's not some super deep story, but there are a LOT of details put into almost every scene that you just can't notice on a first viewing.

Veelk

Banned
I vehemently disagree with all of this. I also think it's kind of pretentious to think you need to have a complete grasp of the "zeitgeist" to truly appreciate the quality of a movie. Good movies are good movies regardless of the context; otherwise it would be impossible for a movie to age well.

I vehemently disagree with your disagreement, and don't think you really understand my position.

First off, people enjoy movies for any number of reasons and I don't think you can say any of them are wrong, objectively speaking. As such, there is no such thing as a 'good' movie, objectively. It depends on the subject and the context. Otherwise, how do you place value on any criticism? If a movie looks cheap, is incomprehensible, characters are stupid....well, what suggests that it's bad for a movie to be any of those things? Context. Without context, things just exist without any value, good or bad. It's foolish to try to erase it, because it is how we make sense of anything.

Second, there's nothing to suggest that partial understanding can't be enjoyed. As far as I can tell, no one truly fully understands anything in any field. No historian will tell you that they know the complete history of anything, or scientist that says there are no more discoveries to be made in their field, etc. I apply the same to art. There is never a single movie that is truly, fully understood from every possible perspective. No study is ever complete. And that answer's your aging question as well. Merely because a movie can't be fully understood does not mean it can't be enjoyed.

Lastly, I was mostly just remarking how Fury Road's direct sequel will be intrisically tied to it, as they are the same franchise. The zeitgeist thing (and considering there has never been a gender equal society nor is one looking like it's about to happen any time soon, in this case, zeitgeist means all of recorded human history) was just to emphasize how much I think things affect each other, but I think most would agree that direct sequels have connections and influence on their immediate predecessors. Our personal philosophical differences on the nature of art notwithstanding, I don't see how if Furiosa starts acting out of character or the world building is damaged somehow, that would not reflect poorly on Fury Road. FR will always be what it is, but a sequel is just something that keeps the story going, so now the story of Furiosa and Max, assuming we only get 1 sequel and it's shit, is going to be great for the first half, and bad for the last half, then you have a broken story. The part that was good is always going to be good, but it's intrinsically died to a rotting corpse, and that will hurt it.

Quixzlizx

I vehemently disagree with your disagreement, and don't think you really understand my position.

First off, people enjoy movies for any number of reasons and I don't think you can say any of them are wrong, objectively speaking. As such, there is no such thing as a 'good' movie, objectively. It depends on the subject and the context. Otherwise, how do you place value on any criticism? If a movie looks cheap, is incomprehensible, characters are stupid....well, what suggests that it's bad for a movie to be any of those things? Context. Without context, things just exist without any value, good or bad. It's foolish to try to erase it, because it is how we make sense of anything.

Second, there's nothing to suggest that partial understanding can't be enjoyed. As far as I can tell, no one truly fully understands anything in any field. No historian will tell you that they know the complete history of anything, or scientist that says there are no more discoveries to be made in their field, etc. I apply the same to art. There is never a single movie that is truly, fully understood from every possible perspective. No study is ever complete. And that answer's your aging question as well. Merely because a movie can't be fully understood does not mean it can't be enjoyed.

Lastly, I was mostly just remarking how Fury Road's direct sequel will be intrisically tied to it, as they are the same franchise. The zeitgeist thing (and considering there has never been a gender equal society nor is one looking like it's about to happen any time soon, in this case, zeitgeist means all of recorded human history) was just to emphasize how much I think things affect each other, but I think most would agree that direct sequels have connections and influence on their immediate predecessors. Our personal philosophical differences on the nature of art notwithstanding, I don't see how if Furiosa starts acting out of character or the world building is damaged somehow, that would not reflect poorly on Fury Road. FR will always be what it is, but a sequel is just something that keeps the story going, so now the story of Furiosa and Max, assuming we only get 1 sequel and it's shit, is going to be great for the first half, and bad for the last half, then you have a broken story. The part that was good is always going to be good, but it's intrinsically died to a rotting corpse, and that will hurt it.

The good example for me would be Star Wars, considering those movies are all connected and have a lot of the same characters. I can still watch Episode IV and think that Darth Vader is a badass villain instead of a terribly written, terribly acted angsty teenager who's now wearing a helmet and a cape. I shrug and think, "Too bad George Lucas lost the plot later on," but I don't consider the movie worse for it.

Veelk

Banned
The good example for me would be Star Wars, considering those movies are all connected and have a lot of the same characters. I can still watch Episode IV and think that Darth Vader is a badass villain instead of a terribly written, terribly acted angsty teenager who's now wearing a helmet and a cape. I shrug and think, "Too bad George Lucas lost the plot later on," but I don't consider the movie worse for it.

Edit: You're not really disagreeing with me here. Just look at the fact that you admit you think about what George Lucas did later on means you acknowledge the connection, saying it's too bad that the story went awry.

I never said anyone would stop enjoying what they already enjoy. Just that the connection is there, and it's existence lessens that which its connected to, if only slightly, because without it, you wouldn't even think "Well, too bad for..." because there'd be nothing bad to think about. It doesn't make Episode 4-6 worthless, just exactly what it plainly says: Connected to something bad.

Mr. Sam

Fuck the Oscars. Fury Road shouldn't win an Academy Award, an Academy Award should win Fury Road - and then fuck right off because fuck the Oscars.

Cosmozone

Wow @ the early leak. I even saw somezhing like that on Youtube and thought to myself "Can't be real, can it?". About the Oscars, just imagine it would win BP, it's a great fantasy despite the near non-existant chance for real. Nicholas Hoult would scream "WITNESS!!" into the audience really loudly and everyone responds with the V8 gesture. One can dream.

GhaleonEB

Another, for myself, is Prometheus. I watched Alien after that film came out and shat all over it's implied lore, and it didn't impact the film one bit. It's a masterpiece, and that Prometheus take the space jockey in a ridiculous direction later does not alter the power of the scenes with it in the first film.

Lunar15

I talked with my parents on the phone this weekend and my Mom told me that she and my father are somewhat interested in seeing Fury Road. I was shocked: that's not a movie I'd ever expect her to be interested in.

Not sure what did it, maybe the Furiosa talk? Probably read something in the paper. I told her to go ahead and see it, and that it really wasn't gory or bloody. It's violent, but I didn't find too much of the violence to be disturbing aside from one or two scenes. It doesn't revel in gore, that's for sure.

Another, for myself, is Prometheus. I watched Alien after that film came out and shat all over it's implied lore, and it didn't impact the film one bit. It's a masterpiece, and that Prometheus take the space jockey in a ridiculous direction later does not alter the power of the scenes with it in the first film.

Not everybody has that "power", though..

I see these movies in another light now, unfortunately.

Fuck the Oscars. Fury Road shouldn't win an Academy Award, an Academy Award should win Fury Road - and then fuck right off because fuck the Oscars.

But then Miller would never have the chance to walk on-stage, contemplate the award/trophy, then pull out a little can of silver spray paint and make it chrome.

Fair enough though it's a movie where you don't really notice the details until a second and third viewing. It's not some super deep story, but there are a LOT of details put into almost every scene that you just can't notice on a first viewing.

I'll likely watch it again, in all honesty, but probably not until it hits The Movie Network. Or if a friend gets it.

I'm cheap, and there are lots of other movies I want to see in theatres.

Hari Seldon

I finally saw the movie for the first time last weekend, luckily found it still in the theater. Overall I absolutely loved it. My only criticism was that a lot of the dialog I could not understand due to the thick aussie accents or possibly the sound of the theater. I will look forward to seeing this with subs on when it comes out on bluray.

This was definitely a masterpiece though. Ever scene was bursting with creativity and originality.

I finally saw the movie for the first time last weekend, luckily found it still in the theater. Overall I absolutely loved it. My only criticism was that a lot of the dialog I could not understand due to the thick aussie accents or possibly the sound of the theater. I will look forward to seeing this with subs on when it comes out on bluray.

This was definitely a masterpiece though. Ever scene was bursting with creativity and originality.

Some of it seemed like it was purposefully mumbled.

Cosmozone

Yes, Mad Max hangs on in Germany, 26,081 viewers in its 6th week opposed to 25,161 in the last one (+3,5%). Unfortunately it probably lost a lot of screens this week.

My only criticism was that a lot of the dialog I could not understand due to the thick aussie accents or possibly the sound of the theater.

Had some of the same problem on my first viewing when I saw it in 3D. My second time I saw it at a different theater and in 2D and it was a lot easier to hear.

Irnbru

I thought it was the movie too until I saw it in Dolby Atmos, it's a bit of both, lol, but it was a lot clearer in the Atmos theatre I went too.

mattp

3rd viewing last night
movie is just as fucking incredible as the first time
was my wife's first time seeing it
literally the first thing she said as the screen faded to black was "this has to win like every academy award, right?"

man i hope they have some really good documentary/making of type stuff in the blu-ray release

Can someone explain why these "Warboys" (LOL!) sprays their mouth with silver paint when they're about to go kamikaze?

Look up "aerosol can huffing". It's a way to get high, but I'm sure Immortan billed it as some magic/secret weapon to turn them into Valhalla Warriors or something.

M.W.

Watching this for the first time tonight. I've only seen one trailer and a bunch of praise here. Can't wait.

Top Bottom