• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Woorloog

Banned
I don't usually like 3D films but... man, i think this film was better in 3D actually.
Some stuff was just incredible.
And i gotta praise the music (again, i think?). It is just great.
As i said, the only film i've ever seen twice in a theater (though if The Force Awaken's is good, it will be my second). Worth it.

Heck, even my friend liked it, even though it usually doesn't care for any kind of post-apocalyptic things (like Fallout). (Didn't ask him about the characters though.)

Macka

Finally got around to watching this and...eh, it was okay. Can't say I'm a fan of the visual style tbh, and the action was so OTT to the point where I was desensitized after about 30 minutes. Wasn't a fan of the old Mad Max films either though to be fair.

waypoetic

Banned
In Batman and this Tom Hardy's voice sounds too high in the audio mix. What's up with that? It's like two levels higher and crispier than any one we elses.

Seen this now a few times now. It's the sound that really pushes this film into"Classic" territory for me. Some screenings, the mix did feel off though, and it was hard to understand some of the dialog. I blame the mediocre staff.

Came across this piece:

DPA hits the Fury Road for new Mad Max movie

Placing the DPA miniature microphones inside the actors' costumes so that they remained invisible was the task of 'costume genius' Andrea Hood who was present for all of the African shoots.

"We worked together on previous projects including Peter Pan and The Sapphires, where we also had challenges hiding microphones in costumes," Osmo recalls. "She was an immense help on Fury Road because she would sew the mics into costumes and make small pouches on the key costumes, especially those worn by the wives and Furiosa. We came up with a couple of interesting positions to place them in Max's jacket and inside his t-shirt. We couldn't tape them to his outfit because it was covered in oil and dirt, so Andria sewed them into the back of his shirt.

RdSaAQB.png

The "Osmotron"

I saw it today. Just got back actually. It was alright. Great action sequences, lots of tense moments, but some of the weak acting by the supporting cast was pretty jarring and Max's character seemed like an afterthought sometimes. It was also pretty humourless.

I did like that they had a strong female character though and Furiosa could have carried the film on her own. I think the critical reception and reports from friends had me psyched for this mind blowing experience and I was a bit deflated. Good movie, worth a watch, not great.

Johndoey

Banned
Saw it yesterday the movie was great, i'm so glad it lived up to the hype but people really did overstate the Max not being the main, him and Furiosa are pretty equal.

Nibel

Humorless? I laughed every time the doof warrior was on screen. You must've seen a different film.

Not just that, but there is so much crazy funny shit going on and a lot of subtle humor. No clue how one can see this as humorless when it clearly has some clever planned jokes.

Not just that, but there is so much crazy funny shit going on and a lot of subtle humor. No clue how one can see this as humorless when it clearly has some clever planned jokes.

Which clever planned jokes? There was nothing like Bruce Spence's character from MM2 or the dog food eating scene.

Edit: yeah I guess the part when he was on the front of the car was funny. I forgot about that. I felt it didn't compare to MM2 though.

Cosmozone

Bullet Farm leader was funny as hell also.
BTW also note that he later got
blinded
Lady Justice
. Pretty great detail.

The wives reveal was clearly intended to be somewhat amusing. Don't think this is too subtle. Also, sleeping Doof Warrior. And when Nux has his ultimative mediocre moment. You only realize the true impact later.

GhaleonEB

Or when Max first joins up with Furiosa in the War Rig and keeps finding weapons stashed everywhere.

Yeah, that was great. The running gag with the boot was funny as well, and also serves a narrative purpose.
Max loses his boot when he kicks Nux's mate off the car right as they enter the sandstorm. After, he replaces it with one of Nux's boots when he's passed out; Nux is stuck with one boot for a long stretch of the film. After Max goes and blows up the Bullet Farmer's tank/car, he returns with guns, ammo....and a boot for Nux.
It's a funny conclusion to the boot swapping and also a key moment in Max's relationship with Nux; I love the little moment when Max parks the boot in Nux's hands and he's like, WTF....oh, thanks.

Nibel

Which clever planned jokes? There was nothing like Bruce Spence's character from MM2 or the dog food eating scene.

Edit: yeah I guess the part when he was on the front of the car was funny. I forgot about that. I felt it didn't compare to MM2 though.

Yeah, that was great. The running gag with the boot was funny as well, and also serves a narrative purpose.
Max loses his boot when he kicks Nux's mate off the car right as they enter the sandstorm. After, he replaces it with one of Nux's boots when he's passed out; Nux is stuck with one boot for a long stretch of the film. After Max goes and blows up the Bullet Farmer's tank/car, he returns with guns, ammo....and a boot for Nux.
It's a funny conclusion to the boot swapping and also a key moment in Max's relationship with Nux; I love the little moment when Max parks the boot in Nux's hands and he's like, WTF....oh, thanks.

The whole Boot thing was hilarious and I missed it during my first watch.

Incredibly excited for the Blu-ray to come out. I was going to see the film again in theatres, but it had stopped playing before I had any time to head to the movies. Can't wait to watch this film again. It was such a fun experience.

Also, the incredibly talented Miracle of Sound has done a Fury Road song if anybody's interested. It's pretty good, and I've been listening to it practically on repeat since yesterday.

Lethe82

Banned
And the bit where Immortan and his crew are chilling bored as hell, with Immortan Joe singing a weird song

I think he was praying for his passed child. That's one thing I love about the film, it didn't dismiss the emotional standpoints and values of the villains. Often times the score was reflective solely of the perspective of those the scene was addressing
(like the ENTIRE sequence where Nux was promised to be carried to Valhalla by Immorten Joe himself, and Rictus threw him onto the War Rig)
. The film was beautiful for that, and how it didn't seek to demean the intelligence of the audience by just playing 'these are the bad guys' strums over their scenes. We saw their emotions, values, and beliefs as honestly as the protagonists.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just want to say that I finally saw the movie and it was glorious, it had a lot of Road Warrior vibes to it. One thing I was a bit surprised about was the amount of time and depth given to Nux, I thought for sure Max would kill him after getting free and thus him and the rest of the War Boys would be pure cannon fodder. But, instead the film humanizes him and the rest of the War Boys so that every time one is killed on screen you can't help but feel sad since they are just a bunch of religious infused hopped up kids.

Lethe82

Banned
I just want to say that I finally saw the movie and it was glorious, it had a lot of Road Warrior vibes to it. One thing I was a bit surprised about was the amount of time and depth given to Nux, I thought for sure Max would kill him after getting free and thus him and the rest of the War Boys would be pure cannon fodder. But, instead the film humanizes him and the rest of the War Boys so that every time one is killed on screen you can't help but feel sad since they are just a bunch of religious infused hopped up kids.

The opening bits
with Gru and Furiosa's attachment of Warboys also really helped to hammer this home. Everyone is human in this film, they are just coming at things from across the spectrum. I kind of wonder if Slit exists to not humanize Immorten Joe and the cult too much

Saw this yesterday... very glad I went to see it at the cinema. GF thought it was great as well. So refreshing after the glut of super hero films of the last few years. It was a small cinema, but it was actually pretty packed with a wide demographic. Mind you, I am Australian so I guess that weighs into the audience appreciation of this film.

Woorloog

Banned
By the, do films even occur in Australia (though it was filmed somewhere else) or are they left vague, as if they could be anywhere on Earth?

I just finished watching this movie and MY GOD, what a great film, loved the social commentary regarding what and where we look for things we want, and those action sequences, THOSE FUCKING ACTION SEQUENCES, George Miller blew me away with this film.

I just finished watching this movie and MY GOD, what a great film, loved the social commentary regarding what and where we look for things we want, and those action sequences, THOSE FUCKING ACTION SEQUENCES, George Miller blew me away with this film.

Shiny and chrome.

And I still can't get my wife to the theater to see it. Ugh. When the blu ray hits, this shit will be on repeat at my home.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I think he was praying for his passed child. That's one thing I love about the film, it didn't dismiss the emotional standpoints and values of the villains. Often times the score was reflective solely of the perspective of those the scene was addressing
(like the ENTIRE sequence where Nux was promised to be carried to Valhalla by Immorten Joe himself, and Rictus threw him onto the War Rig)
. The film was beautiful for that, and how it didn't seek to demean the intelligence of the audience by just playing 'these are the bad guys' strums over their scenes. We saw their emotions, values, and beliefs as honestly as the protagonists.

I also enjoyed the fact that Max
and Immorten Joe do not come in contact with each other the entire movie.

Opto

Banned

I fell in love with Nux a lot more in my second viewing because of a lot of little things like this

gabbo

I also enjoyed the fact that Max
and Immorten Joe do not come in contact with each other the entire movie.

It's never shown, but i get the feeling he probably knew about him being in his lair while he's there. Doubt the War Boys were smart enough to know to tattoo his back

params7

Banned
Saw it for the first time with my brother. Thoroughly amazed. A lot more high octane stuff than the older trilogy but still had the classic's vibes. Character development were great for an action movie - I really loved both Theron and Hardy's roles. Both of them had their strengths and weaknesses which is what action movies fail to show. While there were some ridiculous and stupid stunts too (
how was Theron able to hold on to almost twice as heavy Tom Hardy with one hand?!
). Overall, one of the best action movies I've seen in recent years, up there with The Raid and sequel, and Dredd.

Please let the game be at least 50% of what this movie was. And let there be a sequel..i'm sure there will be one.

Shiny and chrome.

And I still can't get my wife to the theater to see it. Ugh. When the blu ray hits, this shit will be on repeat at my home.

Now everytime someone tells me they do't want to watch this movie, I'll be applying some serious Ludovico Technique, because this movie CANNOT remain unwatched.

Now everytime someone tells me they do't want to watch this movie, I'll be applying some serious Ludovico Technique, because this movie CANNOT remain unwatched.

My wife was indifferent to Road Warrior, which she only saw for the first time the other year when I showed it to her. And the trailers for Fury Road weren't doing it. Really the only time she showed any interest in seeing it was when her parents were in town last weekend and they mentioned wanting to see it because of some commentators and critics raving about it, mainly ones that hate everything. Sadly, everyone was exhausted from traveling so no movie that weekend. Grrr.

I know once she sees it she will love it. She loved Dredd when she saw it after all. But that might be because of Karl Urban.

Lethe82

Banned
Saw it for the first time with my brother. Thoroughly amazed. A lot more high octane stuff than the older trilogy but still had the classic's vibes. Character development were great for an action movie - I really loved both Theron and Hardy's roles. Both of them had their strengths and weaknesses which is what action movies fail to show. While there were some ridiculous and stupid stunts too (
how was Theron able to hold on to almost twice as heavy Tom Hardy with one hand?!
). Overall, one of the best action movies I've seen in recent years, up there with The Raid and sequel, and Dredd.

Please let the game be at least 50% of this movie. And let there be a sequel (i'm sure there will be one).

Well
it was her mechanical arm, that probably helped (until the straps started to break)

Did anyone else have the problem of sometimes wishing the villains would win?

Often. But not in this movie. Though I DO love the warboys very much. But Max and Furiosa's side got my vote for victory in Fury Road.

Ugh I miss this movie so fucking much already. The Blu-Ray cant come quick enough ;____;

Top Bottom