• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

After four theatrical viewings before it departed my town, I finally realized that the film is a master class in pretty much everything. There's no "the film would be great but for this one bad actor". Everyone bring their A game, no one is miscast. We're not complaining about shaky-cam, because the action is filmed with great clarity throughout. The script is tight but deceptively deep. There are no bad lines we cringe to. CG is used to enhance, not replace, robust practical effects and stunts. The film does not go on a minute too long; the editing is damn near perfect. The music is simply brilliant. The world building is at the peak of what can be accomplished in the visual arts.

There are certainly some small quibbles here and there; it's not a perfect film (Tom Hardy's accent is all over the place). But every discipline is firing on all cylinders throughout.

I cannot recall the last time I saw an action film, or any film, really, that was such a complete package. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

There it is.

Lunar15

It might be bold to say, but I also believe Fury Road is one of the greatest films of all time.

I always wait a few years before making statements like that about anything.

If I can get past the honeymoon period and into the nostalgia period and watch it without going "eh, maybe this wasn't as good as I thought", then I can consider it one of my favorite films of all time.

I mean, this has pretty goddamn good chances of that, though.

But yes, I completely agree that it's a movie that really doesn't do much bad or having any disappointing moments. Sure, people have complaints, but a lot of them, mine included, stem from wanting to do something differently more than the film failing to do something. I think the main takeaway is that the film accomplished everything it set out to do, which is so important these days.

This movie has surprising amount of heart.
This scene, man.
FRD-DS-00491.jpg

GhaleonEB

This scene, man.
FRD-DS-00491.jpg

It really does. She conveys so much just through her eyes, it's amazing.

Nux's storyline is really critical to the heart of the film. In a film with rather minimalist dialogue, I'm still almost baffled how they created such an affecting arc for him. There's no jarring moment where he starts acting out of character, or switches allegiance to serve as a plot device. He goes from a small side character to one who serves as the lynchpin for the finale, in an emotional send off.

Someone earlier mentioned how the score of the film is used to tell the story from the perspective of the characters, such as when Nux is talking with Immortan Joe about killing Furiosa. He's given this opportunity for a glorious death, and the score perfectly captures the moment; sadness as his death nears, but filled with hope and triumph, too. It's all about how he feels in that moment, which makes what happens right after so funny, but also important to selling the transition his character goes through. A different choice could have played the entire scene so differently.

It got me thinking about the sandstorm sequence. There's a music cue that's used twice in the film - first when Furiosa rams one of the pursuit vehicles into a tornado, and again
when Nux sacrifices himself at the end
. The choice during the sandstorm is really interesting to me. It's the most visually spectacular sequence in the film, and the score could have just run in that direction, with action music. Instead it sweeps the other way - majestic, beautiful, almost mournful. Tying to the second use, it made me realize on repeat viewings how the score undercuts that scene from the viewpoint of the warboys who are dying: it's as glorious a death as they could possibly hope for, but it's still a scene in which young people, doomed to a short life, are dying. It could have been played as some victorious moment for Furiosa, or as some amped up action sequence. But instead it's actually quite emotional because of the choice of music, and how it's tied to Nux's
death later in the film; it's a cue used only when war boys are dying, once gloriously when fighting against Furiosa and crew, and once when dying fighting for them.
It didn't hit me until repeat viewings, of course. (This is so much more clear in my head compared to how I typed it, but hopefully it makes sense.)

It got me thinking about the sandstorm sequence. There's a music cue that's used twice in the film - first when Furiosa rams one of the pursuit vehicles into a tornado, and again
when Nux sacrifices himself at the end
. The choice during the sandstorm is really interesting to me. It's the most visually spectacular sequence in the film, and the score could have just run in that direction, with action music. Instead it sweeps the other way - majestic, beautiful, almost mournful. Tying to the second use, it made me realize on repeat viewings how the score undercuts that scene from the viewpoint of the warboys who are dying: it's as glorious a death as they could possibly hope for, but it's still a scene in which young people, doomed to a short life, are dying. It could have been played as some victorious moment for Furiosa, or as some amped up action sequence. But instead it's actually quite emotional because of the choice of music, and how it's tied to Nux's
death later in the film; it's a cue used only when war boys are dying, once gloriously when fighting against Furiosa and crew, and once when dying fighting for them.
It didn't hit me until repeat viewings, of course. (This is so much more clear in my head compared to how I typed it, but hopefully it makes sense.)

Excellent post and observation.

That storm scene, where she is threading the needle while also driving the War Boys into the storm, is phenomenal. Like you said, I think the score has a big part in it. When the music takes that sorrow turn, I get chills every damned time.

Your assessment of that scene lends more to the argument that the movie doesn't glorify its violence. There is joy to be had in the splendor, the technical expertise on show--but the movie doesn't cheer any character's death.

Even Furiosa's
revenge on Immortan
is her moment. Gruesome as it is, the camera doesn't care about
Joe once he's dead.

Just saw this a few days ago...just wow. It's like a non stop ride almost the entire film. Nothing boring, long winded, or out of place in this movie. Just fantastic, I really cannot wait to get this on bluray.

Cosmozone

The storm sequence is also one of my favorites. The music enhances the epicness even more. The moment when they're driving inside and it looks like the vehicles ride on a turmoiled red sea is especially beautiful. Wide shot, awesome red colors. epic music, perfect.

BTW, something you wouldn't want to happen in this movie:
"So this is the sequence: 1, 1, 2, black, red, start. Got it?"
"Ummm.... no... Again, please, but slowly. Er, 2 means this is switch no two, or you have to pull it two times, or..."

Everytime I saw the movie, I always thought I wouldn't want to be in Max' place in this scene because I've got a really bad memory, lol.

Betty

Banned
The storm sequence is also one of my favorites. The music enhances the epicness even more. The moment when they're driving inside and it looks like the vehicles ride on a turmoiled red sea is especially beautiful. Wide shot, awesome red colors. epic music, perfect.

BTW, something you wouldn't want to happen in this movie:
"So this is the sequence: 1, 1, 2, black, red, start. Got it?"
"Ummm.... no... Again, please, but slowly. Er, 2 means this is switch no two, or you have to pull it two times, or..."

Everytime I saw the movie, I always thought I wouldn't want to be in Max' place in this scene because I've got a really bad memory, lol.

The great part about that sequence is Max get's it done perfect lightning quick, just mere seconds after Furiosa tells them to run.

sn00zer

I liked that Mad Max was a sequel and in it Mad Max has actually gone completely mad, and the entire film is from the viewpoint of an unreliable narrator.

Window

This scene, man.

It's a beautiful shot but honestly it really did seem odd in execution. She walks out frame and the next second she's seems somewhere far off from everyone else alone with the wind suddenly having picked up (and violins blaring in the background). Then it suddenly cuts to a wide shot in the middle of her scream (which is interrupted by the cut) and we're not even given a second with her.

I also felt that the first chase sequence ending in the storm was the film at its best. Absolutely incredible.

RPGCrazied

Finally saw it, but Max barely said a word in the whole movie. I get it, the main character really is the girl.

I still rate Road Warrior as the best Max movie. This would be next, then Thunderdome, first movie is last. Really didn't like that one.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
THANK YOU WARBOY!!

And i shall remain shiny and chrome until i have a proper getup around october.

Talking to my friends on Destiny the other night who had yet to see this movie (HOW!!??WHY??!!) and at one point they were like "so did you like it more than Avengers2 tho?"

Oh the laughter. MEDIOCRE!!!!!

Snake

So here's the thing. When I first saw promotional material for this movie it looked to appeal to everything I dislike in action films and post-apocalyptic storylines. Match that with the fact that I have a sort of love/hate relationship with both Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron, and you had a recipe for disaster as far as I was concerned. Then the impressions started coming in, and they matched the reactions to the trailer which I couldn't get on board with in the first place. So much praise to be found and yet I had so much doubt.

Yesterday came, and circumstances required that I kill a couple hours before I returned to other tasks. I was near my local theater and nothing particularly stood out to me to watch. But Fury Road was starting in just a few minutes, and I said to heck with it, it could be bad but it'll pass the time. I was expecting something mediocre at best. And it turns out I was right...
about absolutely nothing!

A great movie to be sure. Every doubt I had was proven wrong after about ten minutes of screen time. The first half of the film was close to perfection (truly phenomenal), while the second half started off slower but finished strongly even if it did not have a perfect resolution.

Initially I was worried that the supermodel casting was coming right out of the Bayformers playbook, but that proved to be 100% wrong as well. I had no complaints about any of the actors whatsoever. As for the action, I'm still almost speechless, unable to really articulate why it worked so well for me. All I can say is that the director killed it as much as was humanly possible for what he was aiming at.

And on the topic of the director, we now get to my most embarrassing confession yet: I did not know until I looked it up after the fact that George Miller was also behind the other Mad Max films. What a blindspot. All I knew was that he had also directed Babe: Pig in the City (which gave him some cred with me), and when I saw people talking about him I thought their excitement was based almost solely on the pre-release footage they were seeing of Fury Road. I had no idea that he was already basically a legend. My private crow-eating was now complete.

I have always been curious about the Mad Max films, but something always held me back for some reason (what I had seen/knew of Beyond Thunderdome gave me an off-putting feeling I suppose). Obviously that will no longer be the case.

Monocle

I love how much Kojima appreciates this film, lol.

After four theatrical viewings before it departed my town, I finally realized that the film is a master class in pretty much everything. There's no "the film would be great but for this one bad actor". Everyone bring their A game, no one is miscast. We're not complaining about shaky-cam, because the action is filmed with great clarity throughout. The script is tight but deceptively deep. There are no bad lines we cringe to. CG is used to enhance, not replace, robust practical effects and stunts. The film does not go on a minute too long; the editing is damn near perfect. The music is simply brilliant. The world building is at the peak of what can be accomplished in the visual arts.

There are certainly some small quibbles here and there; it's not a perfect film (Tom Hardy's accent is all over the place). But every discipline is firing on all cylinders throughout.

I cannot recall the last time I saw an action film, or any film, really, that was such a complete package. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.
Yes, yes, yes! Beautifully stated.

THANK YOU WARBOY!!

And i shall remain shiny and chrome until i have a proper getup around october.

Talking to my friends on Destiny the other night who had yet to see this movie (HOW!!??WHY??!!) and at one point they were like "so did you like it more than Avengers2 tho?"

Oh the laughter. MEDIOCRE!!!!!
WITNESS!

Saw it yesterday. After everyone saying what a great movie it is.
It did nothing for me. Hardy's voice is weird and in some instances, it even looks like sound and image were captured separately and then merged.

I found the story vague and although I didn't think there was a bad performance by any actor, I can't say any of them made a great one too.

It's not a bad movie but I didn't like it.

zma1013

Saw it yesterday. After everyone saying what a great movie it is.
It did nothing for me. Hardy's voice is weird and in some instances, it even looks like sound and image were captured separately and then merged.

I found the story vague and although I didn't think there was a bad performance by any actor, I can't say any of them made a great one too.

It's not a bad movie but I didn't like it.

I thought the story was pretty straightforward, there's nothing vague about it.

What about
"It's the Bullet Farmer, he's coming from the bullet farm"
though? I loved this movie, but this line got worse every time I heard it.

Harmen

Just saw it, great film!

I wonder, are there any reccomendations for relentless chase films (or games)? I recently saw Apocalytpico and that was awesome as well.

Just saw it, great film!

I wonder, are there any reccomendations for relentless chase films (or games)? I recently saw Apocalytpico and that was awesome as well.

How about Spielberg's Duel (1971)?
While traveling through the desert for an appointment with a client, the businessman David Mann from California passes a slow and old tanker truck. The psychotic truck driver feels offended and chases David along the empty highway trying to kill him.

It's a minimalistic movie with some neat artistic choices like
never showing the truck driver
and like Fury Road it's basically one single chase with lots of tension. Highly recommended gem.

It's even up on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZBmIQXBvU

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

This right here. This is absolute truth.

Miller and friends basically showed up the establishment by reminding them how it can and used to be done, I'm right there with you.

The masses love their blurry shaky cam jump cut PG13 garbage but every once in awhile we're rewarded with pure action cinema. Miller made me believe in great Hollywood action again, and that's a very very rare feeling.

dave_m123

Saw it last night. Fantastic I loved it.

Great great film, looked awesome had amazing visuals, good soundtrack etc...

The guitar player was awesome haha

Jarnet87

Just got done watching it, really solid film. Puts must action films in the past 5-10 years to shame. Was a fan of Mad Max and Road Warrior (not so much Thunderdome, but need to give it a rewatch). Loved that it's all action from the get go. The world Miller created in Fury Road is probably the coolest of the series IMO, beats Road Warrior big time. Wish this had done better at the box office.

Seems like a bit of renaissance for R Rated action films. John Wick, Mad Max (and heard Kingsman was good).

bud

amazing film. felt like it was made in the '80s. in a good way.

wish i'd seen in it regular ol' 2d, though.

Top Bottom