• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

T'Zariah

Banned
I can't praise Miller enough for not having a tacked on romance between Max and Furiosa. It was obvious they had chemistry, but more so on mutual respect and partnership.

That's what makes the ending so powerful, it's simplicity, along with some God Tier music "Let Me Up".

I want the Blu-Ray NOW

Markster

How about Spielberg's Duel (1971)?

It's a minimalistic movie with some neat artistic choices like
never showing the truck driver
and like Fury Road it's basically one single chase with lots of tension
I remember seeing that randomly on TV back when I was like 8, shortly after I had seen Maximum Overdrive. That particular creative choice really screwed up my interpretation of the movie at the time.

Saw this movie over the weekend with the wife. Amazing from start to finish. Nicholas Holt was awesome and suprised me on how good he played the role. Im hoping they make a sequal.

Simo

Any word on the Blu-Ray release date? I need this movie.

So far for the US it seems to be September 1st to coincide with the video game but WB hasn't confirmed anything.

Amazon France as a steel book up for preorder that lists over 2 hours of bonus content is included:
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B010EFKOSS/

Like Germany they've also got the Interceptor Edition available:
81TZv99qJYL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00YQJRYGY/

Maybe I need to watch it again? I saw it last week (first time that I've gone to the movies in ages) and had high hopes. I love the original, I really like Tom Hardy and I heard good things so I guess my expectations were a bit too high? Anyway, I found it rather boring to be honest. It opened incredibly strong, but it soon devolved into one long chase scene (I get it, it's called Fury Road) in which cars blow up over and over again and Max grunts. For me, "action" quickly grows tiring/meaningless if it's relentless and there's a lack of character development and interesting breaks. You can't just throw it in my face for two hours and expect me to be entertained, especially when a lot of the action is VERY similar. And it is it me, or is Max a secondary character in all of this? This movie should have been called Furiosa: Fury Road as the emphasis seemed to be on her more than Max and that irked me as well. It's called MAD MAX, I expected more Max. Granted, Max was

Maybe a year down the line I'll give it another go and see if my opinion of it changes, but I thought it was a massive disappointment. I will say that the movie looks fantastic. I don't know much about film, but the way it was shot and the color choices were stunning.

Chinner

Banned
Maybe I need to watch it again? I saw it last week (first time that I've gone to the movies in ages) and had high hopes. I love the original, I really like Tom Hardy and I heard good things so I guess my expectations were a bit too high? Anyway, I found it rather boring to be honest. It opened incredibly strong, but it soon devolved into one long chase scene (I get it, it's called Fury Road) in which cars blow up over and over again and Max grunts. For me, "action" gets tiring and meaningless if it's relentless and there's a lack of character development and purpose. You can't just throw it in my face for two hours and expect me to be entertained, especially when a lot of the action is VERY similar. And it is it me, or is Max a secondary character in all of this? This movie should have been called Furiosa: Fury Road as the emphasis seemed to be on her more than Max and that irked me as well. It's called MAD MAX, I expected more Max.

Maybe a year down the line I'll give it another go and see if my opinion of it changes, but I thought it was a massive disappointment.

lots of people loved it, you didn't. that's okay, that's life. there's nothing wrong with you it's just on this occasion you didn't feel it.

Quixzlizx

I don't get the "FURIOSA ROAD LOL" complaint at all. For one example, they'd all
be driving out into the middle of nowhere to eventually die of hunger/thirst
if it weren't for him. It's not like he's a silent protagonist who's simply along for the ride.

GhaleonEB

I don't get the "FURIOSA ROAD LOL" complaint at all. For one example, they'd all
be driving out into the middle of nowhere to eventually die of hunger/thirst
if it weren't for him. It's not like he's a silent protagonist who's simply along for the ride.

I wonder if someone will do a screen time comparison. It felt very equal between Furiosa and Max, which I thought was a nice balance. Furiosa has far more dialogue however, which might tip the perception toward her being more of the lead for the film for some.

On that note, there's exactly one plot point that I don't really get, which you touched on.
If they are going to try and get across the salt flats, and they know it's a very long, dry drive - why aren't they taking the giant tanker filled with water with them? Loading up the bikes didn't look like they could carry all that much gas or water. Seems the tanker would be invaluable on that road.

Tanker gets stuck all the time and is only really useful for short trips. Too heavy and uses way too much gas.
Bikes can get more bang for the buck

Tesseract

Banned
this is my new favorite movie. forgive me kubrick, 2001 is now #2

god damn what a masterpiece, and i absolutely adore that miller had his wife edit the movie

Tanker gets stuck all the time and is only really useful for short trips. Too heavy and uses way too much gas.
Bikes can get more bang for the buck

yeah, especially when thirst is your enemy

I wonder if someone will do a screen time comparison. It felt very equal between Furiosa and Max, which I thought was a nice balance. Furiosa has far more dialogue however, which might tip the perception toward her being more of the lead for the film for some.

Well, in terms of actual screen time it's probably not far off. Like you said, for me it was more the perception since her plot points seemed to be a bit more pivotal than Max's. He also doesn't say a hell of a lot throughout the entire movie. There's also this massive setup that he's being mentally haunted by his past, yet his past was barely touched upon.

Absolutely loved it! The chemistry between Max and Furiosa was nicely understated, and I had the silliest grin on my face whenever the Doof Warrior was on screen. Which was quite a lot.

Quixzlizx

On that note, there's exactly one plot point that I don't really get, which you touched on.
If they are going to try and get across the salt flats, and they know it's a very long, dry drive - why aren't they taking the giant tanker filled with water with them? Loading up the bikes didn't look like they could carry all that much gas or water. Seems the tanker would be invaluable on that road.

Because
their pursuers would eventually be able to catch up with them
?

Perhaps
it had to do with fuel economy. The gamble is that the bikes would get them farther since the load was lighter than having to take a tanker that was generally only designed to travel between the Citadel, Gas Town and the Bullet Farm and had already sustained considerable damage (and one breakdown) just getting them that far. With just the bikes they could go many times that distance in less time. In either event it's a dumb gamble and Max snaps them out of it.

Quixzlizx

No.
There's no way they get followed at all.

Immortan Joe wasn't that far behind at that point. It would've been easy to track the War Rig to where the salt flats started, at least. The trail would've gone completely cold if the War Rig had been left behind as planned there.

Would distance travelled per hour be more on the bikes than on the war rig? Maybe that was a consideration. The bikes seem much more speedier.

UGH

I MISS THIS MOVIE SO BAD

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds it stat. Straight to the veins. It's just unlike any other thing I've seen lately. It's so fresh and so chrome and it blew my mind into a thousand pieces and sent the pieces to Valhalla.

Would distance travelled per hour be more on the bikes than on the war rig? Maybe that was a consideration. The bikes seem much more speedier.

UGH

I MISS THIS MOVIE SO BAD

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds it stat. Straight to the veins. It's just unlike any other thing I've seen lately. It's so fresh and so chrome and it blew my mind into a thousand pieces and sent the pieces to Valhalla.
Me too; me too. :(

I live. I die. I live again.

Love the soundtrack.

Simo

Pretty sure WB is going to announce the Blu-ray release, details and specs at Comic Con this week. Junkie XL tweeted he'll be at the con for something Mad Max related on Thursday and I also believe WB Games will be there with the Mad Max game too.

Pretty sure WB is going to announce the Blu-ray release, details and specs at Comic Con this week. Junkie XL tweeted he'll be at the con for something Mad Max related on Thursday and I also believe WB Games will be there with the Mad Max game too.

That's awesome but the dream announcement would be mad max the wasteland (if miller is up for it)

God damn I just watched the movie, while it was way more cinematic than the previous films.. holy shit George Miller is a genius.

And at the end of the film
Max is the again the loner he has always been

Top Bottom