• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Just like every other Mad Max movie

forreal. I wonder what the comments were like on eastwood during the man with no name trilogy for instance.

silent heroes are rarely done nowadays though and the internet narrative makes it seem like they have no presence. max got shit done in this movie, made a couple grunts along the way but most of the acting was through expression anyways. it's a pretty sparse movie in terms of dialogue.

i heard there wasn't even much of a script given to the actors. the interactions all worked though, especially the five wives. feels like they've been together for years.

forreal. I wonder what the comments were like on eastwood during the man with no name trilogy for instance.

silent heroes are rarely done nowadays though and the internet narrative makes it seem like they have no presence. max got shit done in this movie, made a couple grunts along the way but most of the acting was through expression anyways. it's a pretty sparse movie in terms of dialogue.

i heard there wasn't even much of a script given to the actors. the interactions all worked though, especially the five wives. feels like they've been together for years.

The lack of dialogue and emphasis on expression and physicality of the actors is
giphy.gif

Underrated technique. Brevity in a script is often a boon since so much dialogue in movies is unnecessary or used as a crutch because the writer/director couldn't figure out how to express something visually. It's especially useful in an action movie like this, where, shockingly, action tells the story.

Even less than normal. Compare the amount of dialogue in Fury Road or the original Mad Max.

That's because George Miller has gotten closer to achieving his goal of making a movie where dialogue isn't needed to tell the story. In Road Warrior Max only has 16 lines of dialogue in the whole movie. He may have even fewer in this, I'm not sure, but there is just as much, if not more, that we really learn about Max in this because his arc is done almost entirely without dialogue. Notice how feral he begins the movie, hardly speaking, animalistic movements, a muzzle, and then how much more human he is by the end. He tells Furiosa his name. He cares about people. No speeches, just unspoken trust and rehabilitation of his years alone in the wasteland built up over their actions over the movie solidified in that one line "my name is Max". It's good shit.

Yeah, I think BB will be out of the steel book by the time I get out of work tomorrow. Oh, well. The important part is the film, which will still be available in regular blu.

Simo

Yeah, I think BB will be out of the steel book by the time I get out of work tomorrow. Oh, well. The important part is the film, which will still be available in regular blu.

BB opens up at 10am tomorrow and is a 15 minute drive. Figured I'd leave here at 10 to hopefully get a steelbook and then on the way home swing by GameStop which opens at 11 to get my copy of the game. Mad Tuesday!

BB opens up at 10am tomorrow and is a 15 minute drive. Figured I'd leave here at 10 to hopefully get a steelbook and then on the way home swing by GameStop which opens at 11 to get my copy of the game. Mad Tuesday!

I work 9am-530pm. Unless I spend most of my 30 minute lunch break going (which I will be in full HANGRY mode at that point), I won't get there early. Maybe if I speed during one of my 15 minute breaks. BB is just down the road from work, but traffic is horrible on it.

Savitar

That's because George Miller has gotten closer to achieving his goal of making a movie where dialogue isn't needed to tell the story. In Road Warrior Max only has 16 lines of dialogue in the whole movie. He may have even fewer in this, I'm not sure, but there is just as much, if not more, that we really learn about Max in this because his arc is done almost entirely without dialogue. Notice how feral he begins the movie, hardly speaking, animalistic movements, a muzzle, and then how much more human he is by the end. He tells Furiosa his name. He cares about people. No speeches, just unspoken trust and rehabilitation of his years alone in the wasteland built up over their actions over the movie solidified in that one line "my name is Max". It's good shit.

Yup, him saying his name is basically him reclaiming his identity and humanity. Up until then he mostly does grunts and hand gestures, his one instinct, survival. It's why he repeats his name as he does as if he comes to understand what it means.

Simo

I work 9am-530pm. Unless I spend most of my 30 minute lunch break going (which I will be in full HANGRY mode at that point), I won't get there early. Maybe if I speed during one of my 15 minute breaks. BB is just down the road from work, but traffic is horrible on it.

Uh you know what film we're talking about right?! Perfect opportunity. WITNESS!! LOL

Cindro

I am *so* pumped to get this tomorrow. I reckon I'll try my luck at getting the steelbook, as I want to make the drive to BB anyway to see if they have any uncommon amiibos (yeah right).

Only had the chance to see this once in theaters, too. Tomorrow night's rewatch will be glorious!

I went to Best Buy and bought the preorder slip for the steelbook which is surprisingly still valid even today

Have a bad feeling though that when I stop by to pick it up, they're just gonna have the normal 2D copy given to me.

Uh you know what film we're talking about right?! Perfect opportunity. WITNESS!! LOL

We shall see. I will be getting the movie either way tomorrow after witnessing the digital version these last few weeks multiple times. If I get the steel book or not, the film shall be mine. Shiny and chrome.
I went to Best Buy and bought the preorder slip for the steelbook which is surprisingly still valid even today

Have a bad feeling though that when I stop by to pick it up, they're just gonna have the normal 2D copy given to me.

I checked yesterday and there was nothing in store, and they told me they couldn't do it. Bastards.

I remember the BB in town here ran out of the Guardians of the Galaxy steel book in about ten minutes apparently.

We shall see. I will be getting the movie either way tomorrow after witnessing the digital version these last few weeks multiple times. If I get the steel book or not, the film shall be mine. Shiny and chrome.

I checked yesterday and there was nothing in store, and they told me they couldn't do it. Bastards.

I remember the BB in town here ran out of the Guardians of the Galaxy steel book in about ten minutes apparently.

Heh, strange. They had a good 30 preorder slips available at my store. Makes me think they're offering way more than they're actually getting. We'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up tomorrow night with MGSV. Tomorrow is gonna be a good day

Woorloog

Banned
The lack of dialogue and emphasis on expression and physicality of the actors is
http://media.giphy.com/media/KaF1pDZjnhaU/giphy.gif[IMG]

Underrated technique. Brevity in a script is often a boon since so much dialogue in movies is unnecessary or used as a crutch because the writer/director couldn't figure out how to express something visually. It's especially useful in an action movie like this, where, shockingly, [I]action[/I] tells the story.[/QUOTE]
I'd probably suggest Wall-E as one film like you outline. The scenes tell the story in themselves. How do they say? A picture is worth a thousand words? It is a movie i loved for it had so little dialogue. A story can be told without saying much.
One reason i love Mad Max is its non-verbal story telling (next to its awesome action).

I do wonder if my appreciation for Mad Max Fury Road and Wall-E comes from that they're good, or that my favorite film as a child was Buster Keaton's The General. A silent film, with dialogue boxes (though i'm not sure how i much i understood about them, or cared about them as a kid) for sure, but primarily a silent film. I do wonder if silent films were better at telling stories without dialogue, after all they had limits how they could use it.
(Other kids watched animated films and such. I watched The General. I wonder, at times, if i fit society's definition of normal...)

Toxi

Banned
Goddamn.

"We're a badass lot, yeah," says actress Melissa Jaffer. "I mean, my character is no doubt a killer." Jaffer is a well-known Australian actress who plays the eldest of the warrior women. Her character carries hope for the future in a satchel filled with plants and seeds.

The 78-year-old Jaffer says she and the other actresses did their own stunts. "And I got feeling from a lot of the crew members that they didn't think it was right women of my age to be doing that sort of thing. You know, sometimes they'd come up and say, oh, he shouldn't ask you to do that. And I would say why? And they'd say, well, because you're an older woman. I did it, and I have to say, I enjoyed every minute of it."

Jaffer says it was a box office risk for Miller to cast older women to play such ferocious characters. But she says she jumped at the opportunity. "The roles that one is offered at this age, quite frankly, you're either in a nursing home, you're in a hospital bed dying, you're suffering from dementia, or in fact, in two cases, I was offered two characters who'd actually died and come back to life," she says. "So when this role came along, I thought well, I won't get another chance like this before I die, and that's why I took it. It was absolutely wonderful. Wonderful role."

Fox Mulder

The gotg steel book sold out crazy fast. Im interested in this steelbook, but never got around to preordering. My car is in the shop so I can't get there at open either. Oh well, will still pick the movie up regardless.

The gotg steel book sold out crazy fast. Im interested in this steelbook, but never got around to preordering. My car is in the shop so I can't get there at open either. Oh well, will still pick the movie up regardless.

Yeah, in the end the disc itself is more important than the case. Sure, an awesome case is great, but the content is what matters most.

firelogic

The movie won "International Movie of the Year."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...216?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The action movie shot by Australian director George Miller will be awarded the Grand Prix of the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI) at the San Sebastian film festival in Spain on September 18.

"You could have knocked me over with a feather! It's lovely to have this great cohort of critics acknowledge our collective labours in this way," Miller said in the statement.

The vote saw 493 of the world's top critics, who typically reward less mainstream arthouse films, choose from among movies premiered after July 1, 2014.

Toxi

Banned
The movie won "International Movie of the Year."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...216?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The action movie shot by Australian director George Miller will be awarded the Grand Prix of the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI) at the San Sebastian film festival in Spain on September 18.

"You could have knocked me over with a feather! It's lovely to have this great cohort of critics acknowledge our collective labours in this way," Miller said in the statement.

The vote saw 493 of the world's top critics, who typically reward less mainstream arthouse films, choose from among movies premiered after July 1, 2014.

Last year's winner of the award was Richard Linklater for Boyhood.
Did you know Mad Max Fury Road took twenty years to make?

kinggroin

Banned
Fucking scalpers.

Everything gone except two anthologies and two DVD copies.

One dude straight up cut my boy off to get to the end cap ahead of him and grab three copies of the steelbook.

Ended leaving with an anthology copy myself.

Simo

WITNESS!

So I pretty much got to my Best Buy 30 minutes after opening and went over to their new releases and saw the empty spot for the steelbook. So I looked at their shelf with the Mad Max copies on it, saw the empty spot again...Fuck.

So I figured I'd ask a clerk and see what the chances were that they still had them in the back and hadn't been stocked yet. He says they were already stocked out right where the empty spot was but he'd double check. Another associate said they only got 6 steelbooks in so if the shelf is empty then they're all gone. FUUUCK.

Then the second associate checks and what I had missed was a floor display of the Fury Road blu and DVDs and there was a steelbook left....the last one in the store!! lol

So yeah if your BBs are like mine and only getting around 6 steelbooks...good luck!

No Steelbooks to be found. Had to buy the regular edition. MEDIOCRE!!!!

It's all good though. I'll be double-dipping for the inevitable super awesome special edition and gift this one to a friend.

Badosh

I arrived 4 minutes after opening and got 1 of 2 steelbooks left.

Haven't even seen the film yet. hope it's worth it.

Fox Mulder

Swinging by Best Buy in a minute to grab Phantom Pain and crossing my fingers that they'll have plenty of Steelbooks for this.

Seems like stores got a small amount, like 2-6. Great way to do an exclusive there. Plus others are getting fucked with preorders or in store pick ups being given away.

WITNESS!

So I pretty much got to my Best Buy 30 minutes after opening and went over to their new releases and saw the empty spot for the steelbook. So I looked at their shelf with the Mad Max copies on it, saw the empty spot again...Fuck.

So I figured I'd ask a clerk and see what the chances were that they still had them in the back and hadn't been stocked yet. He says they were already stocked out right where the empty spot was but he'd double check. Another associate said they only got 6 steelbooks in so if the shelf is empty then they're all gone. FUUUCK.

Then the second associate checks and what I had missed was a floor display of the Fury Road blu and DVDs and there was a steelbook left....the last one in the store!! lol

So yeah if your BBs are like mine and only getting around 6 steelbooks...good luck!

Gamers unlocked is what make walking into a Best Buy worth anything to me. I preordered the steelbook and they did not have it . Godamn idiots. They said they screwed up and it was out of their hands . And I am still waiting for my godamn t- shirt too.

Amazon mysteriously delayed my copy of MGS5 but my Fury Road bluray is still scheduled for today. I guess I know what will be getting all my full attention tonight. =P

Went to the Best Buy near me for my lunch break and they were already sold out of the steel books. Oh well, I'm cool with just the regular Blu-Ray I guess.

Mediocre. :(

gabbo

Grabbed my copy this morning. No a steelbook in sight, (but I wasnt looking for that specifically.) and the Best Buy was about half through their stock by around 11am

Top Bottom