• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Solo

I'm so upset that i didnt get a steelbook. How can I watch the movie in peace knowing there isnt a hunk of metal on my shelf I'll never look at?!

RPGCrazied

I can't believe they didn't go all out for the steelbook and give the discs some art. Is it really that expensive these days? Its why I miss the DVD era so much, disc art was on everything. Now its just black or blue, sometimes grey. Kinda lazy.

Draconian

Did anyone else order the Anthology on Amazon? Because right now Amazon is acting like it's not even out yet, which is pretty annoying.

I'm so upset that i didnt get a steelbook. How can I watch the movie in peace knowing there isnt a hunk of metal on my shelf I'll never look at?!

I assume this is probably a shit, drive by post. Good job.

And why do you feel the need to mock what other people spend their money on? Sounds pretty pathetic.

JDHarbs

my best buy was sold out of steelbooks by the time I got there. opened at 9am. I got there at 11:30am

oh well, i'm fine with a standard edition

Most stores only got so many copies compared to other steelbooks. You pretty much had to be there at opening to even get one.

Sorry, I should have clarified. They only had three on the shelf when the store opened.

edit: I can't get over how bare-bones the menu is. One static image and some generic buttons to pick. I'm shocked some intern didn't just volunteer to gussy this up a bit. Hell, I'd have done it for free.

edit: I can't get over how bare-bones the menu is. One static image and some generic buttons to pick. I'm shocked some intern didn't just volunteer to gussy this up a bit. Hell, I'd have done it for free.

That is a bit disappointing. Maybe they'll do a special edition for the holiday season once they realize they've shipped through their entire run of steelbooks. And that will be the version they put some more effort into? :V

zma1013

I got screwed out of the Steelbook. Did the preorder card thing, paid in full but that didn't mean shit. They put them all out on the shelf and the manager tried to track one down for me, but apparently stock was snatched up everywhere.

That's when you get a gift card out of the deal. Talk to them about not having honored their deal and keep going up the chain until you get some sort of gift card credit out of it. They sorta owe you something considering they may not even get more stock of it in ever.

That's when you get a gift card out of the deal. Talk to them about not having honored their deal and keep going up the chain until you get some sort of gift card credit out of it. They sorta owe you something considering they may not even get more stock of it in ever.

Yeah, they're giving me a $10 gift card and then gonna let me get the regular blu-ray for $10. I'm fine not getting the steel book, it's disappointing though because Mad Max is one of my favorite films in a long time and it would have been nice to put on my shelf to stare at.

Simo

Sorry, I should have clarified. They only had three on the shelf when the store opened.

Uniformity. That way it looks the same as the other Mad Max blu menus! lol

International Film Critics vote Mad Max: Fury Road as year's Best Film
Director George Miller's apocalyptic action film beat out more arthouse titles including Jafar Panahi's 'Taxi' and Laszlo Nemes' 'Son of Saul.'

George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road is the surprise choice for best film of the year, as chosen by the International Federation of Film Critics (Fipresci).

The apocalyptic action drama, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival this year, stars Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy. It's the sequel to Miller's Mad Max trilogy, which starred Mel Gibson.

Miller beat out the other three Fipresci finalists for the best film honor: Laszlo Nemes’ Son Of Saul, Hou Hsiao-hsien’s The Assassin and Jafar Panahi’s Taxi. The 2015 Fipresci best film award was selected from films which had their premiere after July 1, 2014. 493 Fipresci members – all international film critics - voted for the award.

“You could have knocked me over with a feather!,” said Miller in a statement. “It’s lovely to have this great cohort of critics acknowledge our collective labors in this way.”

Miller will receive the Fipresci Grand Prix at the San Sebastian film festival on Sept. 18, where Mad Max: Fury Road will also get a special gala screening.

Since its creation in 1999, the Fipresci Grand Prix has been awarded to such directors as Michael Haneke, Paul Thomas Anderson, Jean-Luc Godard and Pedro Almodovar.
Their 'year' runs from July to July, little weird. But this is great news. Valhalla awaits.

kinggroin

Banned
Cross posting from the TV thread:

Fury Road on my 180" BenQ w1080st projector is probably the greatest shit I ever put on it.

(Excuse the shitty camera quality)

img_20150901_205301lvs13.jpg

DOWN

Banned
No Steelbooks at my Best Buy. I didn't want one, but would have picked it up for a GAFfer. Sorry for those who didn't get them. Got myself the standard Blu-Ray.

I got screwed out of the Steelbook. Did the preorder card thing, paid in full but that didn't mean shit. They put them all out on the shelf and the manager tried to track one down for me, but apparently stock was snatched up everywhere.

This happened to my friend as well, so they gave him a $10 gift card :(

The only reason I got one probably is I both preordered AND didn't work today so was able to pick it up around opening.

So, FINALLY got around to watching this (twice in as many days!) and loved it to pieces. Fantastic movie. The bizarre wasteland culture just feels so well realized, the special lingo (shiny and chrome!) especially. I sort of get the complaints regarding Max being a sidekick, but I think they're misplaced; he's an important character as well, just less... vocal than Furiosa. I'd call him a Deuteragonist or Supporting Protagonist. Probably the latter, since Furiosa arguably has more of a role in dictating the direction of the plot, and Max fits the "conventional protagonist" part of the bill nicely.

So, FINALLY got around to watching this (twice in as many days!) and loved it to pieces. Fantastic movie. The bizarre wasteland culture just feels so well realized, the special lingo (shiny and chrome!) especially. I sort of get the complaints regarding Max being a sidekick, but I think they're misplaced; he's an important character as well, just less... vocal than Furiosa. I'd call him a Deuteragonist or Supporting Protagonist. Probably the latter, since Furiosa arguably has more of a role in dictating the direction of the plot, and Max fits the "conventional protagonist" part of the bill nicely.
I didn't mind it at all because Furiosa was fucking AWESOME. It's not the case like Pirates of the Carribean where Will is a boring arseface while Jack Sparrow is all fun. She didn't play second fiddle to no one. This was her story. Max helped her out. Both were equals and both are heroes.

Also, don't go into the other Mad Max thread...

bender

What time is it?
My order from Amazon didn't arrive today like it was supposed to but support was nice enough to give me a promotional credit so I could rent it in the meantime. I normally wouldn't complain but I had a lot of work to catch up on and wanted something in the background to help with the tedium. It was my first viewing. What a fun action movie! I really regret not seeing it in the theaters but I stupidly didn't let the hype get a hold of me. I think John Wick left a sour taste in my mouth, not that it was a bad movie but it couldn't live up to the crazy expectations from all of the buzz it garnered. Anyhow, can't wait to view Max again when it can have my undivided attention.

I didn't mind it at all because Furiosa was fucking AWESOME. It's not the case like Pirates of the Carribean where Will is a boring arseface while Jack Sparrow is all fun. She didn't play second fiddle to no one. This was her story. Max helped her out. Both were equals and both are heroes.

Also, don't go into the other Mad Max thread...

Oh yeah, definitely not voicing any objection, just commenting on the interesting team dynamic the movie set up. Furiosa is definitely the hero, but Max is arguably more of the protagonist, due to us getting a little bit more of a look into his head, and thus him shaping the perspective of events to a greater extent.

Definitely hoping we get another Mad Max from this group. Not only do I want to see more stuff with these actors, director, etc., I'm also really hoping to see what happens next in the Wasteland now that you've got a major power not run by psychopaths. Always really wanted to see a "okay, the apocalypse happened, now we're rebuilding for real" thing.

SmartBase

What's up with people so desperate for a black and white version? Just run the Bluray through a monochrome/desaturation filter.

I'm not sure I get the appeal of a B/W version of the film.

Color is so important to many of the best scenes. Whether it be red in the dust storm scene, or blue in the night scene vs the bullet farmer. The color palette was so amazingly well-constructed and added a lot to the film. (Honestly, I think Film Studies textbooks could devote a whole chapter to the use of color in this film. It's that good.)

I mean I'd watch a B/W version, since I've seen the film 6 times already, but it would be kind of a cool little extra and not something I'd really be interested in watching more than once.

Woorloog

Banned
When's the DVD/Blu-Ray release date? Local shops give it as 5.10.2015. I thought it was released already? Or is it just Finland being late to the party as usual?

Monocle

Color is so important to many of the best scenes. Whether it be red in the dust storm scene, or blue in the night scene vs the bullet farmer. The color palette was so amazingly well-constructed and added a lot to the film. (Honestly, I think Film Studies textbooks could devote a whole chapter to the use of color in this film. It's that good.)

I mean I'd watch a B/W version, since I've seen the film 6 times already, but it would be kind of a cool little extra and not something I'd really be interested in watching more than once.
I feel the same way. I was skeptical when George Miller called the B/W version the best version of the movie. Or did he say his favorite? Either way, I don't see it.

Personally, I would have liked a bit more establishing of the world and a bit more plot development. It would have given the action a more solid foundation and made it a bit more meaningful and impactful.

As a visceral experience it's very effective, but I think I was expecting slightly more due to the way people had been gushing over it.

edit: sorry meant to put this in the other mad max thread.

gabbo

The way Miller described it, he re-timed the entire film to maximize the affect B/W would have. Like a silent film.

That is what I did and I delayed going 1st thing this morning because of my preorder. They said I was SOL.

preorders and in store pickup orders don't mean shit to bestbuy. They assume they can pick it up off the shelf when you get there.

You were right. They spent 20 minutes looking for it and I just went and grabbed the last one off the shelf and they let me have it. What sucks is the top half of the case doesn't close worth a shit but whatever.

Yesterday I stopped by walmart to pick up something quick. Saw two dudes behind me with a Mad Max Fury Road BluRay in hand. I suddenly felt an animal instinct to shout Valhalla and make V8 sign...but I didnt :(

Sanjuro

If you're picky, streaming won't match current bluray quality for years if not a decade. You just can't transmit the amount of data over network.

if you're not picky, streaming is perfectly fine

I'll probably just wait to see it in cinemas again or another release down the road if there is some extra content.

Preordered the Steelbook from Best Buy, only to show up yesterday to have them tell me they never received any. Ended up leaving with the 3D version for the $20 preorder price, but I was still pissed.

Called other stores in the area, no dice. Fucking Best Buy.

JaseMath

Wasn't able to do a store pickup, but I was able to order one online and have it shipped. Does Best Buy ship local stock? Every store near me was OOS, but there were a few others (~20 miles away) that did.

Top Bottom