• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Sephzilla

I don't like Cinemasins nor Honest Trailers.

But I'm a super-grumpy-gus to the core.

I'm usually cool with Honest Trailers because they tend to just take fun little jabs at things and still acknowledge that the movie as a whole is good. Cinemasins comes off as mean spirited as fuck

I'm usually cool with Honest Trailers because they tend to just take fun little jabs at things and still acknowledge that the movie as a whole is good. Cinemasins comes off as mean spirited as fuck
The only Cinemasins I watched was the Man of Steel one. The only sin I liked was the narrater saying, "I'm not married to Diane Lane."

Honestly, I take CinemaSins as a channel that just enjoys taking the piss out of movies regardless of quality. I mean heck, Neil deGrasse Tyson did one!

I like how they saved the best for last in that article.

Seriously, who they hell thought Fury Road would get reviews that strong and actually get awards talk from trade mags like Variety the months before it opened? We all expected some badass action film, not some film that quickly inspired a fanatical following and even got jaded critics worshipping it.

inm8num2

It's going to get and win some technical noms, but I don't see best picture happening. Not artsy fartsy enough, unless academy voters find some hidden masturbatory metaphor about the virtues and tribulations of acting in the movie's story.

Apt101

I tried to watch this with my girlfriend and she hated it. "It's just one long action sequence", she said. Well yea. Does every film need some dramatic axiom to be good? Just turn off your brain for an hour and a half and enjoy the ride.

I cowed and we turned it off halfway through and watched My Neighbor Totoro again. I like sex more than movies.

I tried to watch this with my girlfriend and she hated it. "It's just one long action sequence", she said. Well yea. Does every film need some dramatic axiom to be good? Just turn off your brain for an hour and a half and enjoy the ride.

I cowed and we turned it off halfway through and watched My Neighbor Totoro again. I like sex more than movies.

mediocre

Not

Banned

Both good movies, and by the metrics of some people, nothing really happens in either of them.

It's going to get and win some technical noms, but I don't see best picture happening.

To clarify, do you mean the nomination, or the award.

Because I think the award is probably off the table, but the nomination is still a possibility.

I think Best Director nomination possibility is getting more and more likely, too. Same with Best Actress.

Apt101

Both good movies, and by the metrics of some people, nothing really happens in either of them.

People think nothing happened in MNT? They meet some kind of fantastic forest spirits and ride a catbus through the starry night, witnessing the tragic cards life deals some people through their mother and father. What the fuck do people want?

inm8num2

To clarify, do you mean the nomination, or the award.

Because I think the award is probably off the table, but the nomination is still a possibility.

I think Best Director nomination possibility is getting more and more likely, too. Same with Best Actress.

I meant the nomination - I don't think there's a chance in hell (which is fine - personal validation be damned!).

Best Director nomination definitely seems a stronger possibility - in a way I think that'd be the "better" award for recognizing the totality of Fury Road's achievements.

edit - looking at some of these movies, it's hard to see MMFR cracking a top 8 or whatever number the Academy aims to nominate for BP. I'd love to be wrong.

D.Lo

I made my own quick and dirty black and white version with a rip of the DVD.

It's pretty good, has a kind of classic feel. But you obviously lose some of the amazing colour contrast. So I still need to see a version with properly adjusted lighting and contrast!

Eh, why do people say 8-bit for all pixel 'art'? Looks like a late Neo Geo title, just with a bad Commodore 64 soundtrack :(

I made my own quick and dirty black and white version with a rip of the DVD.

It's pretty good, has a kind of classic feel. But you obviously lose some of the amazing colour contrast. So I still need to see a version with properly adjusted lighting and contrast!

Eh, why do people say 8-bit for all pixel 'art'? Looks like a late Neo Geo title, just with a bad Commodore 64 soundtrack :(

Also Nux doesn't get the attention he deserves in this. ;(

jett

D-Member
This movie's blu-ray has a GENERIC DVD MENU! This is the only movie I own that has this shit.

What the fuck WB. Mediocre!

This movie's blu-ray has a GENERIC DVD MENU! This is the only movie I own that has this shit.

Holy shit I just googled it and you're not kidding.

maxresdefault.jpg

How does this happen to a massive blockbuster movie in 2015...

The most important part of the movie, aka the movie itself, looks and sounds fantastic.

And at least we don't have to waste time for menu transitions or anything. Actually, static menus like that are pretty common for WB.

WB uses that same menu for almost all of their releases. Simple stock. Guess they can't be bothered to make unique menus for their movies.

jett

D-Member
The most important part of the movie, aka the movie itself, looks and sounds fantastic.

And at least we don't have to waste time for menu transitions or anything. Actually, static menus like that are pretty common for WB.

Well I do like my menus to look a little snazzy, even if they're just static images. This just feels super cheap. Blu-ray is supposed to be some sort of premium format, right? :p

WB uses that same menu for almost all of their releases. Simple stock. Guess they can't be bothered to make unique menus for their movies.

After googling it, man you're right. First time I see this personally. Thinking about it though, WB really never does anything interesting with their menus, even for the big collections like The Ultimate Matrix Collection.

TDKR
hqdefault.jpg

Man of Steel
hqdefault.jpg

They really just don't care.

So I rewatched the film. It made me wonder why Max and friends
never bothered to take off the heavy water tank that was hooked up on the War Rig once they got passed the bikers. Especially once they were heading back to Joe's lair.

And yeah the menu is terrible. Something a first year college student would make. I always felt that The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs had the best and most classiest menus.

Saya

So I rewatched the film. It made me wonder why Max and friends
never bothered to take off the heavy water tank that was hooked up on the War Rig once they got passed the bikers. Especially once they were heading back to Joe's lair.

As far as I understood it,
they needed that part of the tanker to block off the canyon behind them when they went back to the citadel.

This is really cool, comparing shots in the original Mad Max and Fury Road.

http://nerdist.com/watch-the-symmetry-between-fury-road-and-the-mad-max-trilogy-in-new-video/

Shows how consistent Miller is with all of this.

I've tried to note in this thread a couple of times how Miller literally rehashed most of the visual techniques that he employed almost 25 years ago. Remarkable someone had the patience to compile it. Terrific video to present the beautiful technique used to compose Miller's vision.

Shame about the ugly palette in the Fury Road. It sticks like a sore thumb next to the pristine nature of the others.

So Mad Max fans...i propose a question, i been asking in various Creed threads...if you think Mad Max will win the gaf movie of the year over Creed

what do you guys think?

is it because Fury Road is not your average movie in a way

Creed was a fantastic movie, but the plot/story is quite generic

while Fury Road is different in a way? it had that extra oompth, Fury Road is already considered to be one of the GOAT action films up there with Die Hard and Judgement Day

Top Bottom