• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

-griffy-

Banned
Can I enjoy and understand the story if I've never seen the original trilogy?
Yes, this isn't a direct sequel to any of the other movies, just a new movie with Mad Max in it. But you should try to see The Road Warrior at some point at least, it's really good!

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
*skips to the middle*

"this might be it guys GUYS THIS MIGHT JUST BE THE GREATEST ACTION MOVIE OF THE DECADE GUYZ *waves arms around*"

*dislikes video, closes tab*

This video is one of the very very few videos, where he gets loud and sorta fanboy-ish (very uncommon as well).

max-pain

http://mashable.com/2015/05/11/mad-max-fury-road-review/

I dare anyone to see Mad Max: Fury Road and Jurassic World back-to-back (which will be possible, since Max is sure to last more than a month in theaters) and declare that the two are of the same artistic medium. They are not. One is a grand, handcrafted mixed-media installation of grit and weight and sweat and slapstick and substance and cameras careening through the Namibian desert, the other is Chris Pratt and PhotoShop.

LOL :D

jonno394

It's a shame that from what I have heard, Max himself seems to be (not really a spoiler but hiding it just incase some people have been ignoring reviews)
side lined In favour of charilize therons character. Was really looking forward to seeing what Hardy could do with the character and seeing more of Max being Max

Ah well, it might not be that bad...

It's a shame that from what I have heard, Max himself seems to be (not really a spoiler but hiding it just incase some people have been ignoring reviews)
side lined In favour of charilize therons character. Was really looking forward to seeing what Hardy could do with the character and seeing more of Max being Max

He is a bit more sidelined than in previous films... but that's a good thing. Also don't worry everyone has plenty of chances and scenes to show off their character.

Foggy

Honestly, not too different from how he fits in The Road Warrior. Miller treats him like a mythic figure so we get only the broadest character touches, but Hardy's physicality and body language sells the character perfectly.

jonno394

He is a bit more sidelined than in previous films... but that's a good thing. Also don't worry everyone has plenty of chances and scenes to show off their character.

Honestly, not too different from how he fits in The Road Warrior. Miller treats him like a mythic figure so we get only the broadest character touches, but Hardy's physicality and body language sells the character perfectly.

Ok, doesn't sound too bad. I'll definitely still give this a watch.

I've read people say this film could easily be referred to as
Furiosa: Fury Road due to the character focus
. Would you say that is fair?

So this going to ruin car chases in modern films the same way that The Raid movies ruined fight scenes in modern films? Like how do you go back to F&F after this?

Corpsepyre

Banned
So this going to ruin car chases in modern films the same way that The Raid movies ruined fight scenes in modern films? Like how do you go back to F&F after this?

F&F will still be the movie that earns a gazillion more. People love that shit. Don't think they need to amp up the car chases in those movies as they will never feel as if anything's competing with them.

Foggy

Ok, doesn't sound too bad. I'll definitely still give this a watch.

Honestly yeah I'd say that's fair, but I wouldn't paint it as a negative since
she is still quite good in this movie and I definitely don't think Max is overshadowed. He still looms large, it's just all the major emotional beats and story beats revolve around her. Max is just caught up in the...madness. Also, she's involved in the most spectacularly violent moment in the movie :)

Man now that reviews hit and everything is confirmed about it being as good as we expected, I'm really hyped for Thursday night. Still struggling to find someone who wants to go see it with me (best friend is seeing it with her boyfriend, other friend is working and has no clue what it even is, final choice said it looks creepy) so ugh.

Timeaisis

He's
not really sidelined. They are just dual protagonists. They both have their standout moments, for sure.

I've never seen any mad max movies but these trailers were so visually stunning I have to see this, and im a sucker for post apocalypse stuff.

Are all three of the original movies must sees?

Mad Max: Fury Road spoilers of a very light nature

They're clearly dual protagonists. The title card shows them both at the same time (with character name). Thought that was a very cool touch.

I've never seen any mad max movies but these trailers were so visually stunning I have to see this, and im a sucker for post apocalypse stuff.

No. This thread is just 22 pages devoted to a shitty franchise whose latest installment isn't technically released yet.

Yes they are must sees. Ok maybe not the first one.

Like many have said, you don't need to see them for this movie. But yeah, I would say they are must sees, especially the 2nd one. Some will tell you to skip the 3rd one and even the 1st, but just give those a shot.

zulfate

I think it's funny that you're a sucker for post apocalypse stuff yet never seen the series @_@

And yes I recommended road warrior and thunderdome over the first movie but please watch them all.

Timeaisis

All 3 are good.

The original for Max' backstory
Road Warrior for the action setpieces
Thunderdome for the world-building (which is a little uneven but you can see what Miller was going for)

No. This thread is just 22 pages devoted to a shitty franchise whose latest installment isn't technically released yet.

Damnnnnn.
I think I know where you're coming from though...how many people are going to stop by and ask which movies to watch?

marrec

Banned

I think the only "must see" of the first three is The Road Warrior. The others aren't bad, so you should check them out if you get the chance, but The Road Warrior is legitimately great.

I liked the first one because it's one of the few films set on the verge of the apocalypse. It's not post apocalypse and it's not right at the start, it's civilization already on the descent towards collapse and chaos but not totally fallen yet

Nibel

Watch Chris Stuckmann's other reviews or analysis of the action/horror genres; he's among the best movie reviewers on YouTube and has a lot of knowledge about movies themselves and how they are made which is pretty great.

After following for a few years now I can say that I've never seen him this excited in a review.

Donos

Have to see Avengers 2 before i go to this.

Said to my gf last week that we have to see this in the theatre. She said "ok nice".
Yesterday she casually drops the bomb that she hasn't seen any of the Mad Max movies. I fell to the floor and was paralyzed for a few seconds. We then watched Mad Max 1 (which she found a bit strange) and are going to see Part 2 this weekend. Have to say that the last time i saw Part 1 was like 12 years ago and i too found it a bit strange. Have seen part 2 probably once or twice every year.
Said to her that 2 is way better but 1 is important (and more postapocalyptic) for Max's backstory.

Not

Banned

Sold.

Why not? And why were you expecting it to be bad?

Yeh

The project was already beginning to look "troubled" when Tom Hardy was cast and shooting began in 2012, a process that ended a year and a half later. Aging director, recast lead, stop-and-start production after years of development hell, runaway budget — all the elements of an overboiled Hollywood studio mega-disaster are there. You could see the smoke trail from a mile away.

Didn't work out like that.

A favorite quote as I reading these reviews.

inm8num2

Stuckmann's a good dude and usually very calm and soft spoken. If MM:FR hyped him up to show some emotion, it makes sense to convey that to his viewers.

How is that a dealbreaker to you even if it was?

Aren't there plenty of movies where the main character or title thing (Godzilla, Alien/Aliens) were not on screen 100% of the time and yet still turned out to be great films? Especially western films, which this can be compared to?

I just never agreed into the screentime argument that it can damage people's interest or opinion of a film, I guess.

burgervan

Yeah, I don't know why people are ragging on Stuckmann. The guy knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eac0lXfMs9c

Except he doesn't know his stuff. That whole video is making the most obvious points in the most obvious ways about the most obvious movies. He adds absolutely no insight. Christ, one of his talking points is, "Movies need a good script." He doesn't go beyond that other than pointing out that Die Hard had a good script. No shit.

Top Bottom