• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

One of my friends dismissed this film, saying she hates "how every movie gets remade these days". smh

Did you tell her it wasn't a remake?

Yes, but I told her it was a sequel, lol (it was some time ago, I didn't know much about this film yet even though I was already pumped)

And that it is the original creator coming back to it and a labor of love should be enough. It isn't some studio mandated sequel or reboot. It is the original writer and director himself coming back to what he loves. That is one of the nice and exciting things about the film.

Melon Husk

And that it is the original creator coming back to it and a labor of love should be enough. It isn't some studio mandated sequel or reboot. It is the original writer and director himself coming back to what he loves. That is one of the nice and exciting things about the film.

So the inverse of Terminator: Genisys.

Imagine Michael Bay's Mad Max with Mel Gibson.

Also, for those who ARE Rottenwatching, and ARE getting something out of it - looks like the RT percentage is actually 98% now (47 positives to 1 negative) and the Top Critics (which is, personally, a little more important as a LOT of the chaff is skimmed off that way) is at 100%, 8 for 8, including

Entertainment Weekly
Slate
Village Voice
The Wrap
Hollywood Reporter
Variety
Time Out

Simo

Sure, but still, you're saying you were planning on seeing it. Now you're just gonna see it earlier than you thought.

I'm just saying I don't know about the viability of thread-title as film advocacy, is all.

Man, I never asked anyone to change the title and I thought a mod stopped in here yesterday to caution about Rottenwatching and the like? Now I see they did change the title. I only suggested someone go ahead and create a review thread if folks want to discuss and analyze the reviews that come from RT.

Anyways I saw photos of the Sydney Opera House and the premiere preparations...holy shit they really are rolling out all the cars and War Rig through the city!

Also just a reminder but next week "The Art of" companion book is released along with the first issue on the back story comic series written by Miller and his team.

Snaku

Banned
PMqSnjj.gif

Simo

My "Inspired Artists" art book just showed up! 65 pieces of artwork, double spread pages. Some of the stuff in here would of made great posters for the movie.

Verge's (formerly Polygon) Chris Plante fucked up lol, didn't even check when George Miller accidentally said The Road Warrior had 120 shots (that would make it comparable to slow cinema like some Bella Tarr/Tarkovsky shit haha), he probably should have added another zero:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/12/8592629/mad-max-fury-road-cuts-director-interview-the-road-warrior

Of course Tony Szhou (Every Frame A Painting) had to point out the mistake which made Chris Plante correct the article, and editors of websites probably should fact check even if taking stuff verbatim from a source.

And obviously number of cuts/average shot length usually isn't generally helpful about quality of a movie because as Tony says, the pacing and rhythm of the cuts is what matters. Example, Edgar Wright.

ogbg

Interesting hearing Tom Hardy say he was channeling Wile E Coyote and Indiana Jones. Sounds like he was playing the character for laughs a little bit. Not that that sounds bad but I could see it pissing off some fans of the series.

zulfate

Is it necessary to see the old ones before this?

Part 2 and 3 are great movies especially road warrior. No you don't have to see them but it is recommended because they are good movies and you should watch them or else the road devils are comin for you!!!!

Should we maybe have a write up in the OP? It seems like every other post is the same question. I don't mean to offend anyone and I am not sure if this is normal in OTs.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I'm kind of in love with Riley Keough. She should keep the red hair. I didn't like her at all in magic mike but damn every time I see her in the trailer I'm like goddamn she fine.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Saw the vehicles on display outside the Sydney Opera House.

Wow. Completely deranged art direction, in the best possible way.

Top Bottom