• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Except he doesn't know his stuff. That whole video is making the most obvious points in the most obvious ways about the most obvious movies. He adds absolutely no insight. Christ, one of his talking points is, "Movies need a good script." He doesn't go beyond that other than pointing out that Die Hard had a good script. No shit.

So I just watched this too because I have never heard of the guy until the Mad Max review where he yells at me to not see anymore movies this year. What am I missing? Everything in this action movie analysis is the most obvious shit anyone can say. Is this is case where people respect someones opinion just because its the same as theirs? Like, they nod along with the analysis saying "YES, someone gets it!". If this video is the guys calling card then Im still not impressed.

Jarmel

Banned
Except he doesn't know his stuff. That whole video is making the most obvious points in the most obvious ways about the most obvious movies. He adds absolutely no insight. Christ, one of his talking points is, "Movies need a good script." He doesn't go beyond that other than pointing out that Die Hard had a good script. No shit.

And yet so many films still fuck it up, even inside their own franchise. It's a state of the genre that he even needed to point out how bad shakycam is, not only in its implementation but effectiveness.

I mean look at his complaint about the villain and look at how Whedon fucked it up in Ultron or A1.

burgervan

And yet so many films still fuck it up, even inside their own franchise. It's a state of the genre that he even needed to point out how bad shakycam is, not only in its implementation but effectiveness.

I mean look at his complaint about the villain and look at how Whedon fucked it up in Ultron or A1.

I agree with pretty much everything he's saying in that video. My problem is that he doesn't go in depth with any of it, and I get the feeling it's because he can't. If it was "A Beginners Guide To Action Film Making," I wouldn't find it so frustrating to watch.

I like Stuckmann, he's not "Every frame a painting" level of quality but I'm in line with what he says. I would say he is the ProJared of movies.

burgervan

I like Stuckmann, he's not "Every frame a painting" level of quality but I'm in line with what he says. I would say he is the ProJared of movies.

I don't hate him. I just don't like seeing that video held up as something more than it is.

Back to the topic at hand! I really can't believe I'm about to see Fury Road and that, by all accounts, it's amazing. I've been following the production since the early 2000's and didn't think it would ever get finished. It seemed like it just kept getting further and further away, but come Friday, I'm going to be sitting in an IMAX theater getting my mind blown by George fucking Miller

ninjabat

That doesn't make sense. I've seen reasons like people not knowing what the mad max franchise is, or some folk think the trailer is lame. Have not heard anyone mention Mel Gibson. Think thats some far reaching right there. Oh, also the R-rating.

I was about to ask "Who the hell is Stuckmann and why are people arguing over his YouTube review" but yesterday I got in a page-long debate about the history of Laserdisc so I'm in no position to talk shit.

I still don't think putting a metacritic score in the title of a thread is going to make anyone actually go see the movie when they wouldn't have previously. This thread is never going to actually help the film at the box office. That's silly. But I could see that MAYBE the RT score could bring more people into the thread to discuss the film? But then again, it'll probably be people who are incredulous at the idea the film could have that high a rating, and they're wading in solely to express that incredulous feeling.

I also don't think Mel Gibson is going to help or hurt this film at all. Aside from that one trailer Warner did with him in it (and I don't think that got circulated all that much compared to the other three) and his appearing at the LA premiere, they've done a very good job presenting this as its own thing, and distancing Mel's history with the series from the marketing itself.

If it doesn't land, it won't land because, as we're seeing, people think it's just some super-splodey Michael Bay bullshit.

Which would be really shitty - Action movies have been so devalued by braindead assholes making the lowest of lowest common denominator entertainment that when someone does it right it doesn't matter, because it superficially looks the same in a trailer, so people who would appreciate it will just write it off.

That's how I feel about the (admittedly few) Chris Stuckmann videos I've seen.

jonno394

How is that a dealbreaker to you even if it was?

Aren't there plenty of movies where the main character or title thing (Godzilla, Alien/Aliens) were not on screen 100% of the time and yet still turned out to be great films? Especially western films, which this can be compared to?

I just never agreed into the screentime argument that it can damage people's interest or opinion of a film, I guess.

Because Max is the eponymous main character, and I'm watching the film because of Mad Max. It's not comparable to Alien/Aliens where it's named after the antagonists (I dont like calling them that but it's close enough).

With the pre-release marketing, and the title itself, it sort of feels like the old bait and switch (ie Kojima with MGS 2). As i've yet to watch the film i'll reserve judgment :)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
If it doesn't land, it won't land because, as we're seeing, people think it's just some super-splodey Michael Bay bullshit.

Which would be really shitty - Action movies have been so devalued by braindead assholes making the lowest of lowest common denominator entertainment that when someone does it right it doesn't matter, because it superficially looks the same in a trailer, so people who would appreciate it will just write it off.

No lies detected, though I will add that people versed in film can see the Fury Road trailers and know its something special, way beyond the reach of generic action pap. Some of those expansive shots/use of color etc. Small things that most overlook. There is a marked difference in quality that's readily apparent imo, compared to say, an Age of Ultron trailer.

Which makes it odd: if you are someone that thinks its just generic action pap based on trailers, you should be able to see its not just as easily.

The problem with action movies video is being held up as something more than it is, probably because there aren't many video analyses for action movie cinematography (which is his most salient point).

There is just these two:
Fight Scene Cinematography & Editing: The Bourne Identity vs Hero (kingrin)

Jackie Chan - How to Do Action Comedy (Tony Szhou)
It's funny. I go back to movies I used to love, and now I notice the editing and such and some action like the Bourne fights definitely seem slightly diminished than when I used to watch them.

I definitely appreciate clarity and long steady shots and all that in action now. Like when my dad and I rented Taken 3, he liked it because "the action was entertaining" but god, the cuts and editing were just atrocious and incomprehensible and ruined the movie for me.

Because Max is the eponymous main character, and I'm watching the film because of Mad Max. It's not comparable to Alien/Aliens where it's named after the antagonists (I dont like calling them that but it's close enough).

With the pre-release marketing, and the title itself, it sort of feels like the old bait and switch (ie Kojima with MGS 2). As i've yet to watch the film i'll reserve judgment :)

Well, I'll say this (some minor spoilers for the setup and overall movie structure): In Road Warrior, we have the same kind of setup: Max gets pulled into a plan for salvation. However, in Road Warrior, there was a lot more time spent on JUST Max (and his dog). We don't get a lot more development in these scenes or anything, but they help it feel like it's HIS movie.

Here,
we don't really get those moments, simply because a) the plot of the movie requires almost constant movement/pursuit and b) 2/3 of the movie is action/chase sequences.

I think a 50/50 split between them is accurate, and it ends up being "we need each other's help", similar to Road Warrior, but with less "only Max" moments.

sgjackson

I still don't think putting a metacritic score in the title of a thread is going to make anyone actually go see the movie when they wouldn't have previously. This thread is never going to actually help the film at the box office. That's silly. But I could see that MAYBE the RT score could bring more people into the thread to discuss the film? But then again, it'll probably be people who are incredulous at the idea the film could have that high a rating, and they're wading in solely to express that incredulous feeling.

a 90 to 95 rt or metacritic is usually enough for me to give a second look at a movie or game i otherwise planned on passing on, but that usually involves reading some reviews from people who mesh with my tastes and seeing some gameplay footage/trailers to make a more educated opinion

me going "jesus christ" at the rt for this movie is the thing that convinced me to go to it for sure instead of thinking about dragging a friend to a matinee in a week or two

me going "jesus christ" at the rt for this movie is the thing that convinced me to go to it for sure instead of thinking about dragging a friend to a matinee in a week or two

Sure, but still, you're saying you were planning on seeing it. Now you're just gonna see it earlier than you thought.

I'm just saying I don't know about the viability of thread-title as film advocacy, is all.

Timeaisis

Max and Furiosa are both
main characters, dual protagonists. The movie wouldn't work with one, but not the other. Each has plenty of screentime and awesome moments where the really shine. How's that?

Spoilering in-case people don't know that
Furiosa is progragonist
. I sure didn't going in and it was awesome. So maybe just see the movie, guys? It's freaking great regardless.

burgervan

Sure, but still, you're saying you were planning on seeing it. Now you're just gonna see it earlier than you thought.

I'm just saying I don't know about the viability of thread-title as film advocacy, is all.

I could see the RT score perhaps piquing someone's interest enough to make them watch a trailer or read some of the impressions in this thread.

sgjackson

gaf advocating for more under the radar media with rt/mc scores in the thread title has gotten me to see it when i normally wouldn't have. snowpiercer, for example. what this says about me psychologically concerns me occasionally, but eh.

mantidor

I'm not getting what's going on in this thread.

I just want to see the movie, it looks bonkers and it seems everyone who has seen it agrees.

I'm not getting what's going on in this thread.

I just want to see the movie, it looks bonkers and it seems everyone who has seen it agrees.

Mad Max: Fury Road Review Thread: It Looks Bonkers. Or the alternate:

Mad Max: Fury Road Review Thread: It's Fucking Crazy

Blizzard

Banned
Does Verdi's Requiem get used at all in the movie, or is this another tragic case like Man of Steel where the trailer music is trailer-only?
Asking one more time in case anyone in the thread today has seen the movie. Is the Verdi music (Dies Irae) trailer-only?

Asking one more time in case anyone in the thread today has seen the movie. Is the Verdi music (Dies Irae) trailer-only?

It was answered up thread, but I think it was hidden behind spoiler tags, but yeah, Dies Irae is apparently in the film.

Also, the Man of Steel trailer music actually WAS in the movie...as the end credits.

Blizzard

Banned
It was answered up thread, but I think it was hidden behind spoiler tags, but yeah, Dies Irae is apparently in the film.

Also, the Man of Steel trailer music actually WAS in the movie...as the end credits.
Are we talking about the same Man of Steel trailer song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkrPljo-8M&fmt=18

If so that kind of surprises me, since I normally sit through credits and the song was from a completely different movie. I stand corrected then!

The problem with that guy is that he calls too much crap "awesometacular." I still like him for his down to earth nature but I'm not sure if I take his opinion seriously. :p
I'm curious what crap are we talking about?
I hope you're not talking about Birdman

Yeah, apologies. I just assumed you were talking about Trailer #3's music, not the previous trailers. (which also used Lord of the Rings music as well, along with that Elizabeth cue)

Sorry. Asses and Umptions at work.

I was completely sold on this by the trailers.

It looks like everything is shot so cleanly and with so much style, it looks like the antidote to all the shaky cam, uncorregraphed action scenes of today.

Top Bottom