• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Robot Pants

I've actually never seen a single one of these movies and I'm mega pumped for fury road.

One question though.
Where did the term Road Warrior come from? None of the posters in the OP have the word road warrior in them? I was under the vague impression the first one was called Mad Max : The Road Warrior or something. Am I making this all up?

SpaceHorror

I've actually never seen a single one of these movies and I'm mega pumped for fury road.

One question though.
Where did the term Road Warrior come from? None of the posters in the OP have the word road warrior in them? I was under the vague impression the first one was called Mad Max : The Road Warrior or something. Am I making this all up?

Max Max 2 is called The Road Warrior.

The narrator also calls Max The Road Warrior in it.

-griffy-

Banned

One question though.

I think it was something like Mad Max 2 was the title in Australia and The Road Warrior was the title in the U.S. or something similar.

ryan299

I'm in the process of rewatching the movies. Watched the first two last night. Love Road Warrior but hate the first. The first just isn't post apocalyptic enough for me, while Road Warrior is and is just so fucking awesome.

I'm in the process of rewatching the movies. Watched the first two last night. Love Road Warrior but hate the first. The first just isn't post apocalyptic enough for me, while Road Warrior is and is just so fucking awesome.
The first isn't post apocalyptic. It's pre-apocalyptic, civilization on the decline into complete collapse but not completely gone yet

The first isn't post apocalyptic. It's pre-apocalyptic, civilization on the decline into complete collapse but not completely gone yet

The first was influenced by the oil strikes of the 70s where people would literally queue for hours to get petrol. Often petrol stations would just run out and people would get violent.

SpaceHorror

Aye. The Mad Max timeline reads like this:

1. Persian Gulf War
  2. Society starts to collapse
  3. Mad Max - MFP is formed as a last ditch effort to maintain the law.
  4. Pre Mad Max 2 - Electricity fails and society collapses further, people flee to the wasteland, which is overrun by gangs preying on the weak. MFP is disbanded, most officers join the gangs.
  5. Max Max 2 - Society has irreversibly fallen into decay and the economy is no more, fuel and resources are scarce, and only the strong survive.
  6. Nuclear Apocalypse
  7. Beyond Thunderdome

Anyway, just watched Max Max again for the first time in around 9 years. Still enjoyed it a lot, even though Road Warrior is undeniably better. It's a really raw movie and the violence is pretty rough and effective, though never super graphic. It's a thrilling ride and a great set up for The Road Warrior. I love the final shot.

Ixion

I'm surprised no one is mentioning Toecutter when discussing the strengths of the first movie. He's definitely the best villain of those original movies. Has that unpredictable, humorous, psychotic thing going.

I'm surprised no one is mentioning Toecutter when discussing the strengths of the first movie. He's definitely the best villain of those original movies. Has that unpredictable, humorous, psychotic thing going.

I watched the original film for the first time a few weeks ago and was seriously impressed with him. He has a very real presence whenever he is on screen, easily one of the high points of the film. I was happy to learn he is playing the main villain in Fury Road.

Snaku

Banned

Hugh is really fantastic as Immorten Joe too, really great screen presence. Hope he recovers from his injury soon, felt really bad for him at the Alamo screening.

Let us know if it's well implemented, debating buying tickets for 3D vs digital.
The 3d was not in your face except for one cheesy shot . It was not distracting at all but I would have bought 2d if buying a ticket.
As for the film it was great . It was nice To be thrust into a fictional world without any explanation . You are just there so just enjoy the ride . As a longtime fan of the Max films , Tom Hardy takes the mantle without skipping a beat.

SpaceHorror

I had forgotten how good he is. Watching it again tonight I was really impressed with his screen presence. He is threatening and unpredictable, and always very entertaining. Like you said, he's one of the highlights of the first film.

Looking forward to his performance in Fury Road.

Got back from it. Man is it action packed. Almost overwhelmingly so. But the action set pieces are fun and the actors were pretty great. So thumbs up.

Just been thinking...

What effect will the movie have on the upcoming game?

Surely they have to be under heaps of pressure now to knock it out of the park eh?

Ixion

Just been thinking...

Surely they have to be under heaps of pressure now to knock it out of the park eh?

It looks to be a safe bet right now, and I'm not sure what else a Mad Max fan can ask for in a game. The open world, car combat, scavenging, customizable vehicles, and most importantly...the motherfucking thunderdome.

And it will most likely appeal to casual fans, since it's using the same general formula as Warner Bros' other big franchise games, Batman and Shadow of Mordor.

So amazing. I was shocked it was really that intense from beginning to end. When the first car chase scene had ended, the entire crowd had to catch our breath. One guy even clapped. Theron and Hardy were amazing but that's expected. I hope she decides to do some more action in the future.

Tansut

Just got done watching the road warrior. I'm ready. Come 14th.
I just finished it a couple minutes ago myself. I liked the first one but The Road Warrior is a leap into full-on awesomeness.

I'm dreading watching Beyond Thunderdome tomorrow, considering all I've read and heard, but it must be done.

Just been thinking...

Game looks sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKRGvSi5xXk

mad_max_game_weather_by_digi_matrix-d8qr61k.gif

mad_max_game_car_combat_by_digi_matrix-d8qr4op.gif

void666

Banned
I just finished it a couple minutes ago myself. I liked the first one but The Road Warrior is a leap into full-on awesomeness.

I'm dreading watching Beyond Thunderdome tomorrow, considering all I've read and heard, but it must be done.

Road warrior is good as a whole. Beyond thunderdome has some good bits. I like the beginning, the world building. Visually it's clearly the link between road warrior and fury road.
Then there's the chase and the
bittersweet
ending. I'll just watch my favorite parts and be done with it.

It's not a bad movie. But it's sad because of all the wasted potential.

Edit: Just noticed thunder dome has some war boy prototype.

Nazgul11

Just came back from a local screening.

I'm at a loss for words. This is easily one of the best action films in the last ten years. Absolutely unbelievable. The cinematography, design, pacing, acting, soundtrack, all incredible. The themes throughout the film are extremely powerful. I was on the edge of tears nearly the entire time.

Men's rights activists calling for a boycott is the icing on the cake in terms of what this film is actually about.

This is the real deal. Go see it as soon as you possibly can.

Just came back from a local screening.

I'm at a loss for words. This is easily one of the best action films in the last ten years. Absolutely unbelievable. The cinematography, design, pacing, acting, soundtrack, all incredible. The themes throughout the film are extremely powerful. I was on the edge of tears nearly the entire time.

Men's rights activists calling for a boycott is the icing on the cake in terms of what this film is actually about.

This is the real deal. Go see it as soon as you possibly can.

Haha most excellent.

Is that real? Where's that happening?

I can think of no better bit of last-minute marketing than tumblr blowing that shit up into a spotlighted story for a couple days.

Corpekata

Banned
That this has the MRA circles in a tizzy because it has daring themes like "sex slavery is bad" makes me want to see this even more.

Stoze

TIL what a "fuckboy" is, thanks guys.

Also maybe it's just me, but the summary for the single rotten review for this on RT dosen't even seem like much of a complaint. I mean, people were hyped for the fact that Max barely gets any dialouge. Can't wait to see it this weekend.

do any dogs/animals die like in the original films? I always hated those parts :(
Besides the lizard Max stomps and proceeds to eat from the Comic Con teaser, I don't recall any other animals in the movie.

Just been thinking...

Hopefully the movie inspires a slightly more vibrant color scheme. The game looks great, but the colors look a bit drab. I adored how colorful Fury Road was.

Top Bottom