• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I thought GAF hated Michael Bay?

... And what i mean by Michael Bay is explosions every four seconds. It's laughable how stupid this film looks!
Sometimes? All the trailers equal explosion-fest! It's nothing but explosions! And by going how trailers are cut nowadays, i'm pretty sure i've seen 90% of the actual movie just by watching those trailers.
This is like saying Taken 3 and The Raid are the same because they both have fight scenes in them

Mr. RHC

I don't expect much from JJ Abrams and action movies. If he does that terrible shakycam shit again...

shake2hsu3r.gif

shake1f5umo.gif

shake5wssyy.gif

haha.

I'm excited to see Mad Max.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't expect much from JJ Abrams and action movies. If he does that terrible shakycam shit again...

shake2hsu3r.gif

shake1f5umo.gif

shake5wssyy.gif

What that is doing isn't making it "shakycam" like a Bourne movie, it's adding high frequency vibrations like what would be added from heavy machinery/engines, or when traveling at incredibly high speeds and the wind is shaking the camera, or something similar. The camera can actually remain quite stable and make the action perfectly clear while that is happening.

kaskade

So if this movie stays on it's review track (which it seems like it will) will we see it being mentioned at the oscars? I doubt they'll give it a best picture nod, but something.

-griffy-

Banned
Same with me. I can't imagine why they wouldn't add it in post. Why spoil the raw footage? There has to be a way to replicate this.

Abrams likes his tactile, real stuff, which can be hard to replicate with adding the motion in post (which is why they created that little rig to actually create the vibrations the same way for the CG cameras).

inm8num2

So if this movie stays on it's review track (which it seems like it will) will we see it being mentioned at the oscars? I doubt they'll give it a best picture nod, but something.

It could end up getting some nominations for technical categories visual effects, sound design, sound editing, etc.

Camwi

Maybe whatever Guardians of the Galaxy got nominated for, which is not much.

This movie completely justifies a "Best Stunts" category.

EDIT: Damn you, High Def. Great minds! Stunts are sorely underappreciated.

As griffy pointed out, this method isn't "shakycam" really, as evidenced by the scenes as they look in the film. These two gifs:

were captured while shooting these two scenes.

The platform fight

The Ice Creature sequence

Neither of which are particularly shaky at all.

You have to actually divorce the final product from the gifs in order to make the point you want the gifs to make. When you take them in context, their effectiveness as an argument against shaky-cam is pretty thoroughly reduced.

Timeaisis

If Mad Max won an Oscar it could be for Best Costumes, Best Production Design, Best SFX, Best Editing.

I think the production/prog guys deserve a shit ton of credit. It's incredible stuff they've got here.

I dunno about Oscar talk. Even if this does become one of the best reviewed films of the year, there's a fucking TON of stigma working against it come voting time.

But if Warner Brothers figured out a political campaign that played on the fact George Miller did what he did at age 70 after almost 2 decades of trying to get this thing off the ground, and managed to make it look like this while being maybe the most feminist blockbuster since ALIENS (if not moreso) then maybe he'd have a shot at a token Best Director nod.

Maybe.

But Warners would have to want to pour money into that.

Timeaisis

I dunno about Oscar talk. Even if this does become one of the best reviewed films of the year, there's a fucking TON of stigma working against it come voting time.

But if Warner Brothers figured out a political campaign that played on the fact George Miller did what he did at age 70 after almost 2 decades of trying to get this thing off the ground, and managed to make it look like this while being maybe the most feminist blockbuster since ALIENS (if not moreso) then maybe he'd have a shot at a token Best Director nod.

Maybe.

But Warners would have to want to pour money into that.

Yeah, well it's not going to get best director or anything like that. I don't care about the oscars, I'm just mentioning whats possible for a film like this.

This film could have been snubbed by critics and I'd still think it was fucking amazing. I'm glad they saw the light, too, though.

I don't give two shits about what awards this gets nominated for unless the name of the award is the 'Lifetime Achievement Award For Fucking Exploding Every Car In Existence' Award

I don't give two shits about what awards this gets nominated for unless the name of the award is the 'Lifetime Achievement Award For Fucking Exploding Every Car In Existence' Award

Warners could probably lobby the Academy for that one, too. They'd probably call it something a little softer (and easier to etch into a brass base) like "Special Achievement in Stuntwork" or something. "Special Achievement in HOLY FUCK JESUS CHRIST SHITFIRE GODDAMMIT"

Warners could probably lobby the Academy for that one, too. They'd probably call it something a little softer (and easier to etch into a brass base) like "Special Achievement in Stuntwork" or something. "Special Achievement in HOLY FUCK JESUS CHRIST SHITFIRE GODDAMMIT"

It would be nice to finally get a "Special Achievement in Stuntwork" award. Stuntmen have been trying for years.
I am glad that High Def Jeff posted the articles about it earlier so more people can read those.

I like em both. The stunt team on this is...ahem..mad.

Jesus Christ that Polecat sequence, wtf

Timeaisis

Special Achievement in SWEET JESUS DID YOU SEE THAT HOLY SHIT

98% fresh on RT after 61 reviews. That's kinda insane.

And isn't the top critics average still over 9/10 on those fresh ratings, too? So it's not like it's C+ or B- kinda fresh.

this really could, depending on how post-release shakes out, end up being one of the best reviewed films of the year. Which doesn't necessarily count for all that much anymore, but it's still a pretty interesting stat should it shake out that way.

What that is doing isn't making it "shakycam" like a Bourne movie, it's adding high frequency vibrations like what would be added from heavy machinery/engines, or when traveling at incredibly high speeds and the wind is shaking the camera, or something similar. The camera can actually remain quite stable and make the action perfectly clear while that is happening.

Shaky Cam is used a million times to replicate the characteristics of the environment where the action takes place. In no way the technique is reduced to what Bourne tries to accomplish it it (which also tends to have a very aggressive editing).

JJ does that in many other sequences. He shakes the mag for small reframings , a lot of time in action motion scenes. Kirk jumps many times from his position in the frame because of this stupidity. He even uses this in stable settings. Just watch the extras.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just saw this tonight (local premiere) and I had no idea what to expect, still digesting it.

It's pretty good though, at least the action is - the rest of it still trying to think it over.

Showed the trailer to a friend, he said it looked cheap and he can't imagine how the story would be any good.

Also he said that fighting on cars is what he liked in Kindergarden.

I immediately stopped writing with him. So fucking annoying and that's why Bay transformers exists.

zulfate

Why do people honestly give a fuck about story when it's more important to have atmosphere and sense of place in films, IMO

Especially with action movies, like what kinda story do you need? Philosophical? Romantic? What I don't understand. Fury road looks like a fine story too enough for the action to shine.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Showed the trailer to a friend, he said it looked cheap and he can't imagine how the story would be any good.

I immediately stopped writing with him. So fucking annoying and that's why Bay transformers exists.
Show him the reviews. If that doesn't convince him, then there is no hope.

JeTmAn81

I was watching The Blues Brothers on Netflix and wishing for more old-fashioned car-smashing like that. Looks like Mad Max will deliver.

ogbg

It sounds like the trailers are pretty accurate so maybe it's just not his kind of film.

I'm wondering what's this phenomenon where the trailers look phenomenal to people like me but trash/cheap/boring to others.

Also, is anyone else who's seen this film starting to love it more and more the more they think about it? It's slowly becoming top 5 of the decade for me.

I'm wondering what's this phenomenon where the trailers look phenomenal to people like me but trash/cheap/boring to others.

Also, is anyone else who's seen this film starting to love it more and more the more they think about it? It's slowly becoming top 5 of the decade for me.
I think if you have some knowledge about cinematography, the trailers speak volumes to the quality of the movie. The practical effects, the vivid colorful wide shots, etc.

Top Bottom