• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Timeaisis

Also, is anyone else who's seen this film starting to love it more and more the more they think about it? It's slowly becoming top 5 of the decade for me.

This is hilarious. Coming out of it I was on a super high, like you would expect from coming out of a movie like this. It probably helped that I was at the Austin screening WITH George Miller, so it was that much more. I thought my excitement would die down a little as the days passed, but lo and behold, here I am.

I cannot stop thinking about this film. I'm going to see it again this weekend and probably again after that. It's creeping into my top 10 movies ever and has easily become the best film I've seen in the past few years.

I love action movies, but they hardly ever break top 10 for me unless they are remarkably well made (Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie of all time, for example). This is remarkably well made. Miller is a master of his craft and is in love with cinema and it just shows on film. He's got a backstory for every weapon, goddamit.

The only sadness I have is that Miller is now 70 and probably doesn't have a heap of time left to do more and more actiony goodness. But god bless him for bringing this to fruition. It's incredible.

On another note, I hardly even gave this movie the time of day till a couple months back. I have always been a big Mad Max fan, but wasn't Simo-level and had never really followed the creation of this film. I assumed it was just another WB reboot that was being helmed by some rando. Not until I saw the trailer did I start reading about it's history and how Miller has tried to get it off the ground for some 15 years. Incredible journey, that. I'm just glad I got to ride the hype for a couple months and it actually pay off.

Simo and super-fans like him must be ecstatic, seriously. Most of the time when you get films like this coming back after so long they are complete shit, but this is by far the best one in the series and slowly becoming one of my favorite films of all time.

Sojgat

I'm wondering what's this phenomenon where the trailers look phenomenal to people like me but trash/cheap/boring to others.

Also, is anyone else who's seen this film starting to love it more and more the more they think about it? It's slowly becoming top 5 of the decade for me.

Some people only see an aesthetic that has become synonymous with cheap DTV action movies. Just a bunch of beat up old vehicles driving around in the desert while things explode.

Everything becomes about content, without a passing interest in the craft involved.

liquidtmd

Banned
Some people only see an aesthetic that has become synonymous with cheap DTV action movies. Just a bunch of beat up old vehicles driving around in the desert while things explode.

Everything becomes about content, without a passing interest in the craft involved.

The vivid crisp shots in the trailer are insanely beautfiul. Cannot wait to see this.

Mayyhem

My hype for this movie is just unreal. And its scary cause I think I won't even be let down.

Can't remember the last time I've been this way about an upcoming movie release

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, so planning to watch the other 3 movies for the first time prior to this so I could truly appreciate this when I watch it.

Having only seen bits and pieces of all of them, what's the general consensus on each of them?

Okay, so planning to watch the other 3 movies for the first time prior to this so I could truly appreciate this when I watch it.

Having only seen bits and pieces of all of them, what's the general consensus on each of them?
Personally,

2 > 1 > 3

But that's just me.

ezekial45

Banned
This is pretty surreal seeing this movie be so well reviewed. Let alone that we actually have a movie like this coming out.

I'll be seeing it tomorrow night. I'm so ready.

liquidtmd

Banned
Those reviews on the front page of Rotten Tomatoes....

makes Furious 7 look like Curious George

Rather than repeat himself (Miller), he articulates, and it's wonderful.

A nightmarish visual imagery, an easy command of composition, a relentless sense of pace.
Miller has breathed new life not just to his own series but the action genre itself.

From its very first scenes, "Fury Road" vibrates with the energy of a veteran filmmaker working at the top of his game, pushing us forward without the cheap special effects or paper-thin characters that have so often defined the modern summer blockbuster

HHGGGGNNNNNNnNNNNNNNNNNNNNn

Timeaisis

1 is uneven but good

2 is the best

3 is mixed, depending on who you talk to. I personally like it for the world building and the beginning and end (middle is a little bit of a drag).
MEMBER THIS?

I'm wondering what's this phenomenon where the trailers look phenomenal to people like me but trash/cheap/boring to others.

This is hilarious. Coming out of it I was on a super high, like you would expect from coming out of a movie like this. It probably helped that I was at the Austin screening WITH George Miller, so it was that much more. I thought my excitement would die down a little as the days passed, but lo and behold, here I am.

I cannot stop thinking about this film. I'm going to see it again this weekend and probably again after that. It's creeping into my top 10 movies ever and has easily become the best film I've seen in the past few years.

This is hilarious to me, because it's EXACTLY how my buddy and I have been feeling this whole week. Seriously, sometimes I just listen to this song on repeat.

Blader

Damn, the hype is real here. Unfortunately no 2D showings on Thursday so I'll have to wait til the weekend, probably Sunday, to see it.

liquidtmd

Banned
Random story - looking through Rotten Tomatoes, John Howard (II) is in this. As a UK bod I don't know this guy outside a TV thing he did twenty odd years ago called The Girl From Tomorrow / Tomorrows End. He was epic as the bad guy Silverthorne. Looking through his resume he's got a stacked C.V and life but his appearance in that was a fond part of my teen viewing so I'm even more stoked if possible to see this.

some people work better under fire, like james cameron and coppola in the 70s

So much this. Wish sometimes James Cameron found himself poor and destitute so he'd be forced to make a budget restricted lean movie requiring improvising and very practical thinking once more

xewind

Won two tickets for tonight's premiere here in PR at 9pm, can't wait. My best friend have been really hyped about this movie for a while, wonder what his reaction will be when I get to tell him about the tickets lol.

Also, saw the three movies for the first time between yesterday and today, I did really enjoy them. Road Warrior was definitely my favorite one, but... that might change tonight.

spookyfish

3 has the best narrative, but is low on the car carnage. I'm a big fan of redemption plots in films.

2 is still the best film overall, for me.

1 is still pretty damn good, but a little rough around the edges -- as it should be.

bob page

Saw this at a prescreening last night & it blew me away. Enjoyed it more than any recent comic book / superhero adaptation and the reviews are definitely warranted. The choreography of the action scenes is just thrilling and the cinematography in many places is like a piece of art.

Far & away the action movie of the year so far.

Random story - looking through Rotten Tomatoes, John Howard (II) is in this. As a UK bod I don't know this guy outside a TV thing he did twenty odd years ago called The Girl From Tomorrow / Tomorrows End. He was epic as the bad guy Silverthorne. Looking through his resume he's got a stacked C.V and life but his appearance in that was a fond part of my teen viewing so I'm even more stoked if possible to see this.

So much this. Wish sometimes James Cameron found himself poor and destitute so he'd be forced to make a budget restricted lean movie requiring improvising and very practical thinking once more
Lol I remember silverthorne and that show. Outside UK.

Nibel

With every positive review and impression the pain we'll suffer when it won't resonate with the mainstream audience will be worse and worse
mjcry1dosgi.png

I hope he'll get to make the sequel as well

Falchion

Wow, it's climbed back from 97% to 99%. I was excited to see this movie before any of the reviews started coming in but now I'm going to make sure to buy my tickets early so that I can see it Friday night.

Damn I really should watch the original trilogy some time. I'm so happy this turned out good.

Is anyone else getting TDK vibes from the critical acclaim this is getting?

What that is doing isn't making it "shakycam" like a Bourne movie, it's adding high frequency vibrations like what would be added from heavy machinery/engines, or when traveling at incredibly high speeds and the wind is shaking the camera, or something similar. The camera can actually remain quite stable and make the action perfectly clear while that is happening.

This man knows.

This not like the horrible horrible bourne action scenes.

3N16MA

Banned
No reserved seating for tomorrow night screenings around here. Purchased tickets for the weekend and glad to see they gave AoU the boot from some of the larger screens.

Top Bottom