• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

99%

Holy F.

I still haven't seen Age of Ultron...

Man, now I have a backlog of MOVIES in addition to GAMES!

I honeslty wouldn't bother with Age of Ultron, unless if you're a gigantic Marvel fan who needs that continuity fix. It's not a good action movie among other flaws, while it seems Mad Max is very satisfying in most aspects.

Experien

So excited. Completely blown away by the praise.

I think I asked this earlier, but would this be a good date movie? I am just worried it'll be too violent/crazy.

The gore isn't really a thing in the movie, the violence/fighting is quite pretty almost like a dance. Definite female empowerment going on so that should be good too. The imagery is kind of out there and there is a darkness to the movie.

duckroll

Not saying they are comparing them in articles but you can't deny an impact of seeing what should've been AMAZING and kind of flopping in a sense and then seeing this great flick.

That sounds like a lot of projecting. Most movie critics probably did not expect Avengers 2 to be amazing.

Wow at that 99% on RT. Thinking about watching the first three before I go this weekend, What do you guys suggest would be the easiest way digitally?

Maybe a little, but I know I have some critic friends who were quite excited for Avengers though they don't get to see MM until tonight.

I was disappointed with AoU, but the action is a bit low on that list. It's just standard fare superhero action, with maybe a handful of standout sequences.

The only reason I brought it up is that AoU has kind of a "chaos cinema" vibe to its action, where, at certain points, you can't tell EXACTLY what is going on, but you can still (mostly) understand the action beats.

Fury Road is revelatory in terms of how well it manages action blocking and spatial relationships when compared to something like AoU, which is the only reason I brought it up. Not trying to shit up this thread, sorry!

duckroll

Fury Road is revelatory in terms of how well it manages action blocking and spatial relationships when compared to something like AoU, which is the only reason I brought it up. Not trying to shit up this thread, sorry!

I suspect George Miller benefited a lot from having directed two animated features before this. The nature of animation requires full visual conceptualization in pre-production, and he seems to have brought that with him into making this movie.

http://io9.com/the-making-of-mad-max-fury-road-we-shot-one-scene-fo-1704025550

Everyone keeps calling this movie one scene. Is this film just two hours out of Max’s life?

Tom Hardy: Pretty much, yea. It’s the end of Road Warrior, for the whole movie. But the characters, the cars, the different tribes, different vehicles. To get inanimate vehicles to interact in a way where you’re very clear on who’s who, and what’s going on. And then the stunts and the coordination of that, it’s a very hard thing to articulate, that kind of choreography. And in itself, it’s a huge scale and not to be dismissed. That’s why this movie is so spectacular, because ultimately that’s what [George Miller is] doing. And he has done it [before], having done it with Babe and Happy Feet and having worked in animation and worked with inanimate objects in many ways with breathing life in them. He’s also done that again in an action movie that also has that mythology and spectacle as well. As a movie project itself it stands out for that; it’s a spectacular even. And rightfully so, because what he’s done is incredible.

What’s is like to shoot without a script (almost)?

Charlize Theron: Well, I feel like us actors kind of set out this rumor that there was no script. I wonder, I haven’t talked to George about, but I wonder if he’s upset about it. Because there was a script; it just wasn’t a conventional script, in the sense that we kind of know scripts with scene numbers. Initially it was just a storyboard, and we worked off that storyboard for almost three years. And then eventually, there was a kind of written version of the storyboard, which just felt like a written version of the storyboard, again not like a script. I think the hardest thing for us, as actors, to get our heads around, was that the movie really was one big scene. Usually you have scenes and this was one big scene. So we shot one big scene for 138 days. That was tricky because everyday you show up and you don’t really know where you are in that scene. George was really at understanding what he wanted. And the movie was in his head. After a while ,we all understood that we just had to let him do his thing.

cakefoo

It's ok. Wasn't shot for 3D. Subtle, but 2D would do just fine.
It was going to be a native 3D movie- he spent years putting rigs together- but the team were ultimately dissatisfied with the large size of the rigs and the dynamic range of the sensors, and Miller was also concerned about the cameras malfunctioning and delaying production. He shot with 3D in mind and referred to his experience with Happy Feet's 3D.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/94242-dp-john-seale-on-mad-max-fury-road
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/george-miller-on-the-origins-of-fury-road-and-the-influence-of-road-warrior"

The avg rating of 9/10 is what gets me. That requires an almost universal "This is one of the best fuckin' movies of the year, 9/10, A-, 4.5/5 stars" type of rating

compared to Age of Ultron, that's like 6.7/10, so mostly 3/5 stars, "it was aight", 6-7/10 kind of reception

I will say it's rather noteworthy to see no actual film reviewers throwing some negatives its' way. I figured a few would've popped by now, just through genre preference

Snaku

Banned
99%

Holy F.

haha rotten tomatoes 99%. I think that's the first time I've seen that.

I HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT MR. EDWARDS

99% on RT?

WTF?

This year belongs to the mad.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, this movie is 3% better than Schindler's List.

1% shy of Citizen Kane.

lR2bcFA.gif

Lunar15

I really need to step back from the hype.

I definitely think I'm overhyping it at this point, and I don't want to overhype what looks like a pretty fun movie.

Opiate

Richard Roeper review:

Then again, we can always hope Hardy and the equally badass Charlize Theron team up again for a dialogue-driven character study. For now let’s be grateful they’re one of the best action duos ever, in one of the best action movies.

Ever.

What that is doing isn't making it "shakycam" like a Bourne movie, it's adding high frequency vibrations like what would be added from heavy machinery/engines, or when traveling at incredibly high speeds and the wind is shaking the camera, or something similar. The camera can actually remain quite stable and make the action perfectly clear while that is happening.

As griffy pointed out, this method isn't "shakycam" really, as evidenced by the scenes as they look in the film. These two gifs:

were captured while shooting these two scenes.

The platform fight

The Ice Creature sequence

Neither of which are particularly shaky at all.

You have to actually divorce the final product from the gifs in order to make the point you want the gifs to make. When you take them in context, their effectiveness as an argument against shaky-cam is pretty thoroughly reduced.

Good to know, glad to be corrected. Still don't like how the the action scenes in his Star Trek movies are shot.

Kimosabae

Banned
Christ, I have to see this this weekend. I can't believe this actually might be as great as it looks. I was so cynical.

I haven't watched the earlier films, I need to get on that. Is there any place I can watch them free?

void666

Banned
I've been waiting for a new mad max movie since i was a kid. I'm happy to see fury road receiving all the praise. The wait was worth it.

I'll watch it tomorrow after work.

Top Bottom