• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Jonm1010

Banned
Man the GAF backlash thread on this film will be glorious!
Which will go to show just how hyped and good this film looks like it will be. Gaf loves to shit on anything that is hyped or is universally praised.

99%! 90 metacritic!! Holy fuckballs. I can't believe I am going to have to wait til Saturday to see this :(

Timeaisis

To be honest, it's one of the rare 90%+ movies that I haven't been a little disappointed with. Gravity was a little disappointing, for example.

Most movies 90+ are overhyped. This one is not.

Full disclosure: I saw it well before reviews came out, but I'd have been really confused if it didn't get anything but universal praise.

zulfate

I hope when this comes out on blu-ray we get an extra 30 minutes or something of extra footage. I was watching a junkie xl interview and he mentions he saw a 3 hour cut of the film without a beginning and or a ending.

Kimosabae

Banned
To be honest, it's one of the rare 90%+ movies I haven't been a little disappointed in in years.

Most movies 90+ are overhyped. This one is not.

Full disclosure: I saw it well before reviews came out, but I'd have been really confused if it didn't get anything but universal praise.

Arggghghkljhdfj

I hate you.

I haven't been excited for anything in so long and now my hype is getting to me. No way I'll enjoy this film now. No way it's that good.

JoeBoy101

Richard Roeper review:

fSY6h.gif

Foggy

Man the GAF backlash thread on this film will be glorious!
Which will go to show just how hyped and good this film looks like it will be. Gaf loves to shit on anything that is hyped or is universally praised.

"Dialogue was corny"
"Max was boring"
"No character development"
"Story was lame"
"World didn't make sense"
"Too much cg"
Yes, I guarantee some weirdo will say this

ogbg

"Dialogue was corny"
"Max was boring"
"No character development"
"Story was lame"
"World didn't make sense"
"Too much cg"
Yes, I guarantee some weirdo will say this

I haven't seen it but from what I hear there's quite a lot of sped up footage in it, as there was in the previous films. Guaranteed some people will hate that.

Robbie Collin's review for The Telegraph

'a Krakatoan eruption of craziness'

"With its spare dialogue and dazzlingly choreographed and edited stunts, Miller’s film often feels like a great silent movie – albeit a very loud one."

"What compounds the fun is Fury Road’s wholesale rejection of the generally accepted blockbuster code of conduct, which dictates that expensive films have to be marketable to teenagers but still watchable by eight-year-olds in order to maximise box-office returns. Whether or not Miller was aware of these unspoken conventions, he has ploughed a blazing petrol tanker right through the middle of them. Fury Road takes a Rabelaisian delight in grotesque bodies, and the various ways in which they can be made to splatter, burn and pop.

"Imagine if Cirque du Soleil reenacted a Hieronymus Bosch painting and someone set the theatre on fire. This is more or less what Miller has come up with."

"This is unusually progressive stuff, but it all stirs into the cocktail nicely – just as the painterly computer graphics, which provide the film’s backdrop of whirlwinds and dust-storms, marry surprisingly well with the predominantly practical stunt work. The world of Mad Max has always been welded together from bits of whatever was lying around, and the films’ brilliance has always been in their welding – the ingenious ways in which their scrap-metal parts were combined to create something unthinkable, hilarious or obscene, and often all three."

✮✮✮✮✮

JoeBoy101

My favorite critic quote yet, from David Ehrlich:

In an age of weightless movie spectacles, here’s a movie that feels like it was made by kidnapping $150 million of studio money, fleeing with it to the Namibian desert, and sending footage back to Hollywood like the amputated body parts of a ransomed hostage.

Shahadan

How much of the movie is about max? All the trailers seem to mostly focus on the buzz cut lady.

As far as I'm concerned (at least until I get to ee the movie tomorrow) they needed a male lead and "Mad Max" refers to Furiosa even if it's not her actual name.

Decado

"Fury Road takes a Rabelaisian delight in grotesque bodies, and the various ways in which they can be made to splatter, burn and pop. "

I thought the violence was supposed to be boarder line pg-13? The one area that may disappoint...but if that isn't the case yay :)

My favorite critic quote yet, from David Ehrlich:

Excellent quote. I still have no idea how this got made.

As far as I'm concerned (at least until I get to ee the movie tomorrow) they needed a male lead and "Mad Max" refers to Furiosa even if it's not her actual name.

Negative.

"Fury Road takes a Rabelaisian delight in grotesque bodies, and the various ways in which they can be made to splatter, burn and pop. "

I thought the violence was supposed to be boarder line pg-13? The one area that may disappoint...but if that isn't the case yay :)

Honestly not that violent, beyond a few parts in the end. It wasn't a hard cut for them to go PG-13 if they wanted to, IMO

It does seem like the RT score in the thread title has brought at least a few additional curious eyes to the thread. :)

But will that translate to ticket sales that otherwise wouldn't have been made?

that's the real trick.

Plus how many people are now gonna go into the thing with a 99% chip on their shoulder like "Show me something splodey-car movie."

Well I hadn't heard of this movie until recently (to be honest I wasn't even familiar with the franchise). This seems interesting and the reception is quite strong.

If Mad Max was full of annoying and poorly realized characters who make bad decisions, you'd be hearing about it by now :)

Even Nux, the slapsticky good/bad guy, is more fun to watch than the characters in Gravity.

I'd tried to forget those characters or Bullock's incessant need to talk.

JoeBoy101

Honestly not that violent, beyond a few parts in the end. It wasn't a hard cut for them to go PG-13 if they wanted to, IMO

Its interesting you say that. Normally it hurts a movie to go 'R', but maybe they felt it would generate way more buzz and excitement to go that route and try to set themselves apart, given the bloat in theaters for these coming weeks. I know its got me jazzed.

inm8num2

But will that translate to ticket sales that otherwise wouldn't have been made?

If I may rework a quote from the Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy Simpsons episode:

"You know, if we get through to just that one poster, it'll all be worth it."
"Yes. Particularly if that poster happens to pay $46,000 for a ticket."

:p

Its interesting you say that. Normally it hurts a movie to go 'R', but maybe they felt it would generate way more buzz and excitement to go that route and try to set themselves apart, given the bloat in theaters for these coming weeks. I know its got me jazzed.

Look at it like this: WB basically gave George Miller a blank checkbook with free reign, and said 'give us your Mad Max vision.'

And he did.

Mayyhem

Those who have seen it, what would you compare its level of brutality and violence too? Raid 2? Dredd?

I'm hoping for some hard-R stuff!

Seeing it tomorrow at 7. 2d rpx screen. Can't wait. Hell if I like it enough I may grab a quick beer and go back to see it in 3d.

Grabbed Road Warrior blu at Best Buy earlier. Only six bucks.

I have a test tomorrow night and I wake up very early on Friday... but I'm thinking of going to the theater to see this.

Should I, GAF?

Jarrod38

Seeing it tomorrow at 7. 2d rpx screen. Can't wait. Hell if I like it enough I may grab a quick beer and go back to see it in 3d.

Grabbed Road Warrior blu at Best Buy earlier. Only six bucks.

Any of the new editions of any of the previous 3 include a movie pass for Fury Road?

Those who have seen it, what would you compare its level of brutality and violence too? Raid 2? Dredd?

I'm hoping for some hard-R stuff!
Not really. It's a pretty tame R as far as violence goes. Sorry.

Still a very good movie. Don't let that expectation dissuade you.

Has the BO tracking went up? I'd imagine interest must've went up after all these glowing reviews out there. Hopefully, anyway.

Yesterday Deadline had an article saying it was looking like it'd go something like this:

1) Pitch Perfect 2: 50+
2) Mad Max: Upper 40s
3) Ultron: Lower 40s.

But the article also said they were seeing big jumps with the Mad Max tracking, so who knows.

That would also be only the third time in box office history three movies made over 40 mil in the same weekend.

-griffy-

Banned
Crept past 80 reviews now, still only one negative. This is looking to be one of the best reviewed action films of all time. One of the best reviewed movies, period, in years. An action movie doesn't get this strong of acclaim often.

EDIT: Average rating just ticked up to 9.1/10

SpaceHorror

Man, I've never put much stock in Rotten Tomatoes, though it's always a good site to use for friends when they don't want to see a movie with you cause "it looks bad." Simple, effective with its big %.

But Mad Max: Fury Road's 99% with 82 reviews counted, 81 of them positive, with Daily Mirror's troll review being the only negative, and the 9/10 avg. rating is goddamn impressive.

Fucking Friday night, hurry up already.

Simo

Michigan gaffers! It looks like Emagine Theaters is screening Fury Road on their EMAX and EMAX D-Box screens!

EMAX is the next equivalent to IMAX and those screens are also the only screens, and theaters, in Michigan that are equipped with Dolby Atmos.

Saw this on a BO tracking site:
Fandango's "Mad Max" pre-sales are stronger than its pre-sales for previous R-rated action movies like "Lucy," "Kingsman: The Secret Service" and "300: Rise of an Empire."
Considering how well Kingsman did, hopefully that's a good sign

Top Bottom