• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

F!ReW!Re

For those of you riding the hype train and can't wait to see it, I found this interview with George Miller very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZeRAqGdVo

No spoilers in there, it's basically about making the movie and how it fits in with the other films, etc.
Def worth a watch. George seems like a really nice and down to earth dude.

ezekial45

Banned
Yesterday Deadline had an article saying it was looking like it'd go something like this:

1) Pitch Perfect 2: 50+
2) Mad Max: Upper 40s
3) Ultron: Lower 40s.

But the article also said they were seeing big jumps with the Mad Max tracking, so who knows.

That would also be only the third time in box office history three movies made over 40 mil in the same weekend.

Those looks good to me. I remember reading that they only expected/hoped for about 30 or so for opening weekend. So an upper 40 tracking with it beating Ultron looks pretty good to me. PP2 looks like it'll be a big hit, so I'd imagine the counter-programming effect will work in Fury Road's favor.

is it wrong to hope Lindelof Lindelofs the fuck out of Tomorrowland and everybody decides it was better to go see Mad Max again instead

Yes it's wrong. Never root against Brad Bird. NEVER.

However - A large amount of Tomorrowland's audience literally can't get into Mad Max anyway, unless their parents are with 'em, so I don't think Tomorrowland's going to be considered *direct* competition. It's a family-friendly Disney adventure.

If anything, you can hope for parents taking their kids to the multiplex, getting them tickets to Tomorrowland, and then ducking into Mad Max because everybody in the world can't stop talking about how batshit awesome it is.

Game looks sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKRGvSi5xXk

mad_max_game_weather_by_digi_matrix-d8qr61k.gif

mad_max_game_car_combat_by_digi_matrix-d8qr4op.gif

yep defo looking forward to the game

though we got mgs5 coming out on the same day.

my wallets gonna be hurtin.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Watching Beyond Thunderdome right now. Hoo boy
I was watching it earlier today. Despite the problems, it did show us a functioning society capable of sustaining itself with a renewable fuel and ways of keeping the folks from getting bored. I hope they expand on that in future movies after Fury Road.

That RT average rating is very high.

Btw, as I said before I've never seen anything from this series. Should I watch something before seeing this, or can I just go in?
'Sall stand alone. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't see the previous movies.

Look, I'm not usually a fan of 3D. Between strobing, and the eye strain that often comes with it.

But shit. This movie is 3D was fucking insane. Like, it's going to be insane either way, but it just worked. And its style lent itself really well to 3D, which was surprising considering the last few 3D films I have seen have been an ugly eye straining mess.

Either way, the movie was fucking insane and I loved it. See it.

Look, I'm not usually a fan of 3D. Between strobing, and the eye strain that often comes with it.

But shit. This movie is 3D was fucking insane. Like, it's going to be insane either way, but it just worked. And its style lent itself really well to 3D, which was surprising considering the last few 3D films I have seen have been an ugly eye straining mess.

Either way, the movie was fucking insane and I loved it. See it.

I agree, I'm usually not a fan of 3D in theaters but this time it was absolutely stunning.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This was my introduction to Mad Max:

That fat-ass clamshell case was on the shelf at the makeshift video store in the back of an appliance store my dad would shop at. My older brother picked it out. I didn't know what the hell it was but it seemed pretty seedy. My dad said I couldn't watch it because it was Rated R.

I waited until they started the movie, and then I basically snuck out of my bedroom and watched it from the hallway leading to the living room.

Fucked my whole head up.

The trailers for this film are the closest I've gotten to feeling that level of headfucked at a Mad Max movie since.

I am excited.

My uncle taped the first showing on HBO. He had the biggest rear-projection CRT you could buy at the time. I was around 7, but my parents gave zero fucks about me watching it.

Yes it's wrong. Never root against Brad Bird. NEVER.

However - A large amount of Tomorrowland's audience literally can't get into Mad Max anyway, unless their parents are with 'em, so I don't think Tomorrowland's going to be considered *direct* competition. It's a family-friendly Disney adventure.

If anything, you can hope for parents taking their kids to the multiplex, getting them tickets to Tomorrowland, and then ducking into Mad Max because everybody in the world can't stop talking about how batshit awesome it is.

You never saw MI: Ghost Protocol?

-griffy-

Banned
Ive been trying to figure out if that song is out there somewhere also. Im hoping its not just made for the trailer.

It's definitely not part of the soundtrack release.

Speaking of, there's some good shit on it. Deluxe version is around 2 hours of music too, if it's not all the music in the movie it must be damn close.

Aside from Brothers in Arms, which was put online early, Let Them Up is an early standout without seeing the film yet.

Ogimachi

Back from a 2d screening. I'm a fan of the originals but I didn't know much about this one before heading out, just saw one of the trailers and never read much about it (I didn't want to go in blind on purpose, just sort of happened) let alone the impressive reviews.

On its own, it was fantastic, some sequences were really mindblowing and I love how it embraced the crazyness. As Mad Max, part of me was disappointed.

The lack of Max doesn't make it bad by any means, but it felt like he was "forced" as a lead like Fox in SFA, if that makes any sense.

Anyways. Great film and insanely good action (best in years), just don't expect a lot of Max. He's the sidekick here.

3N16MA

Banned
Films that utilize 3D in creative ways rather than just throwing it in as an afterthought provide great theater experiences.

I would be thrilled if Fury Road delivers a great 3D experience.

xewind

Just got home from the premiere. What an awesome movie, too much action from start to finish. So far the best movie of 2015 to me.

Gotta agreed with Fairfax. I wished it would had focused a little more on Max, but is not really an issue to me. Looking forward to watch it again soon and even get it on blu-ray eventually.

Hamlet

So freaking good. Just got back from seeing it and easily lives up to the hype.
The action is just relentless and boy does it look great also. I sweated so much whilst watching it ha. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were both great.
Audience loved the moment where Nux is all set to go and shoot Furiosa for Joe and then trips over lol.
Also Nux's fiend shouting he had Max's shoe to no approval was pretty funny.
Solid ending also and nicely sets up things if another Mad Max film is made.
Guitar guy was awesome.
"That's mine"

Definitely going to go see this again soon. Maybe even tomorrow.

Ok, so people looking at me crazy for suggesting 3D-

Is it just cause fuck 3D in general? Or have the impressions from others on this films 3D been poor?

Friday night is so far away. Hyped beyond hyped. That 99% rotten tomato score with 84 reviews fresh and 1 negative has me excited.

So pleased to hear that George Miller never lost his touch with R-rated action movies.

-griffy-

Banned
Ok, so people looking at me crazy for suggesting 3D-

Is it just cause fuck 3D in general? Or have the impressions from others on this films 3D been poor?
With this movie in particular, there was a thing with 3D. For the longest time it was intended to be shot with 3D cameras that Miller and his team were actually building specifically for the movie, but with the lengthened process there came a point where suddenly things switched gears and they went full in on 2D, to the point that Miller just didn't even consider 3D while shooting the movie. Like, actively, don't care if this footage won't translate to 3D not worried about it that's up to the conversion guys to deal with in post. Apparently he's said 2D is his preferred version.

Top Bottom