• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Just got back from my advance screening. Virtually non-stop action. Definitely enjoyed it. This was my first Mad Max movie, so I don't have much of a measuring stick. This is my first movie OT where I've seen the movie way early, so I'm putting some of my thoughts on the movie as a whole in spoiler tags. I won't include any specific or story spoilers, I'm just making sure I don't piss anyone off.

The music/pacing is seriously intense. The action scenes are almost TOO long, if that makes any sense - your adrenaline gets pumping, and the movie just keeps going.

I saw the movie in 3D, and there was one really bad "oh, hey, you're watching a 3D movie, here's a blatant reminder!" scene. Kind of stuck out/was a bit corny.

Experien

Would you recommend watching the original films prior to watching the new one? I'm new to the series and wonder if it's worth having my first experience with "Mad Max" be with Fury Road or if I'll appreciate the new one even more after watching the originals.

The movie is a one-off/reboot/remake but it could totally be just fit in the series. I saw the first one in a local theater not too long ago, haven't seen 2 all the way through, and barely remember 3. So I don't think you need it.

As long as you enjoy crazy, fights, and cars...you are good to go.

Imperial

Hard to say with just one viewing. Obviously coming off the high I'd be like Fury Road>>>>>>>>Mad Max 2>>>Thunderdome>>>Mad Max.

Ask me in a couple more weeks after a few more showings! lol There's so much to take in though. There's no exposition to explain the characters or world you just have to piece it together from what you see and little dialog there is when you're thrown in the deep end.

Oh god, this very well may be the best movie of the year. It sounds like George Miller has outdone himself, and that's no easy feat.

Simo

Would you recommend watching the original films prior to watching the new one? I'm new to the series and wonder if it's worth having my first experience with "Mad Max" be with Fury Road or if I'll appreciate the new one even more after watching the originals.

Your discretion. You honestly don't need to as nothing in Fury Road calls to the previous films and Hardy's Max is very different than Mel's take on the character. The only benefit of seeing the older movies first is, well they're worth watching, and there are some gags or easter eggs nodding to the older films.

Also I saw it in 3D. I thought it was quite good actually and the opening credits and title have this great 80s Heavy Metal look going. lol

Regarding the soundtrack. It melded with everything on screen at times perfectly and worked when it needed to but honestly I seem to remember there were more scenes without any music or score whatsoever.

I mean...yeah my first reaction right now is that I fucking loved it! It's like the perfect child of Mad Max 2/Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and before anyone is worried about that last part I'm talking the strong visual identity of that movie and some of the weird shit. lol

Fury Road is just full of weird shit and just completely nuts, intense and outrageous. It kicks off in full gear from beginning to end and never lets up.

I took a friend who had seen bits of pieces of the older movies before watching them fully last year and to sum up his thoughts: He thought Charlize was a bigger bad ass than Max but that Max also totally made the movie and he's right on both points but when Max acts it's with furious force and a big presence on screen. Hardy's Max is also a more "damaged" than Mel's Max too.

My friend said the film was so intense he was sweating throughout the whole thing and the theater was packed with some 320 seats that seemed to be love the film enough where everyone started clapping.

That Doof Warrior with the flaming guitar is one of the more normal people you'll see in the film.

Since the first trailer, been wanting Charlize Theron's character to be a badass, yay!

iYsedxdQcLlq7.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
HOLY FUCK

This movie. This movie. When I get to a PC (phone is dying) I can elaborate, but I loved this thing. It's a monsters. A loud fucking monster.

If word of mouth isn't great for the theater run its going to kill home videos/VOD.

Mad Max: Fury Road and Dredd are going to be part of some crazy future midnight feature, 20 years from now.

HOLY FUCK

This movie. This movie. When I get to a PC (phone is dying) I can elaborate, but I loved this thing. It's a monsters. A loud fucking monster.

If word of mouth isn't great for the theater run its going to kill home videos/VOD.

Mad Max: Fury Road and Dredd are going to be part of some crazy future midnight feature, 20 years from now.

With its budget it might end up the new Speed Racer. A big budget film from WB released in May that bombs and goes onto a cult following and has awesome action sequences. Of course, I predict it will have a better time with critics than Speed Racer did.

Timeaisis

GUYS GUYS GUYS
I just got two tickets to the advance screening in Saturday followed by a live q&a with George motherfuckin Miller.

HYYYPPEEEE

ezekial45

Banned
HOLY FUCK

Oh man, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. It sounds we got something really special here.

Mayyhem

I just rewatched all 5 trailers in the OP. Such hype-inducing stuff.

What's your guys favorite trailer of the bunch?

ezekial45

Banned
On a scale of 1 to 10, how gory was the movie? I already know it's a lot more gruesome than the last MM movies, but was it like say Dredd level violence?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I keep hearing about the extremely difficult/crazy/gruelling filming process of this movie but can't seem to find any further reading on the subject. Does anyone have a link that they could direct me to?

I have to wait 8 days for this after all these exuberant impressions. Guess I'll just get my intense action from videogames for now :p

element

Got to see it tonight. Totally insane. Difficult to even describe. It feels like a Action Rock Opera or something. There are clearly acts through the movie and the use of fade to black was so odd to see since you really don't see that in film now days.

Entire movie hardly lets up. Just a 2 hour chase sequence.

Hardy has 50 lines in the entire film. Theron is strong and awesome. Villains are under-developed by again after you give up on learning anything you just enjoy how over the top it is.

It is an beautiful movie, non-stop action but It will be interesting to see how it does because it is not a typical action movie for todays market.

"The Resident Evil 4 of American Action Movies" - ViewtifulJC
This is such an apt description, you have no idea. It also completely mirrors my experience with that game, where I had no prior experience with the rest of the series and it didn't affect my enjoyment of it at all.

This movie is crazy. The pacing is perfect. The action is nuts. There is some lovely over-the-top cheese. Charlize Theron is fucking badass. This movie rules.

Question for those that have seen it:

The little girl that keeps haunting Max's dreams and waking moments, is she someone from the previous films or are we to just assume it's someone from his past he couldn't save, like a daughter or something? I assumed the latter.

Got to see it tonight. Totally insane. Difficult to even describe. It feels like a Action Rock Opera or something. There are clearly acts through the movie and the use of fade to black was so odd to see since you really don't see that in film now days.

Entire movie hardly lets up. Just a 2 hour chase sequence.

Hardy has 50 lines in the entire film. Theron is strong and awesome. Villains are under-developed by again after you give up on learning anything you just enjoy how over the top it is.

It is an beautiful movie, non-stop action but It will be interesting to see how it does because it is not a typical action movie for todays market.
I don't think the structure of a movie would have much to do with its box office performance (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "hoe it does"). Thanks for the impressions!

Watch Road Warrior. Skip the rest.

nib95

Banned
GIFSoup
Must resist....lol

I can understand the high...

But Thunderdome better than MAD MAX?!?!?!?
smh

First half of Thunderdome I thought was great, that second half though, pissed away the seriousness of the Max films in place of some theatrical, pantomime, Peter Pan nonsense.

This is such an apt description, you have no idea. It also completely mirrors my experience with that game, where I had no prior experience with the rest of the series and it didn't affect my enjoyment of it at all.

This movie is crazy. The pacing is perfect. The action is nuts. There is some lovely over-the-top cheese. Charlize Theron is fucking badass. This movie rules.

The little that keeps haunting Max's dreams and waking moments, is she someone from the previous films or are we to just assume it's someone from his past he couldn't save, like a daughter or something? I assumed the latter.

I havent seen Fury Road yet but I'm guessing you're talking about his wife and his son? they get run over in the first movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvKKCEXT8sE

Oh... double post... errr.. sorry :/

Linconan

First half of Thunderdome I thought was great, that second half though, pissed away the seriousness of the Max films in place of some theatrical, pantomime, Peter Pan nonsense.
Agreed.
I Loved the first 15 mins but then just when down hill.
Still watchable though don't get me wrong, just MAD MAX is better all round by far.
It better story, better result.

I'll wait judgement on Fury Road till my excitement calms down, i'm sure it'll be great but there's something there bugging me but i'll bite my tongue till i've watched it. Not long now..

*exhales breath slowly*
lol

DocSeuss

I liked Thunderdome. Movie was trippy as balls.

Trying to wait for Fury Road is destroying my will to work hard and get good grades this week.

ogbg

I'm really worried this won't do good at the BO. :( It really should, but then again, the audience has changed way too much over the years.

What does it need to make to be considered good? I've seen predictions of $135M from cumulative US box office. Not sure if that would be considered enough. Either way,I'm just hoping it's as good as it looks. Not too bothered if they make more.

Simo

On a scale of 1 to 10, how gory was the movie? I already know it's a lot more gruesome than the last MM movies, but was it like say Dredd level violence?

Hmm about a 7-8? Violence and gore is about on par with The Road Warrior. There's only 1 major gruesome moment near the end though..

The little girl that keeps haunting Max's dreams and waking moments, is she someone from the previous films or are we to just assume it's someone from his past he couldn't save, like a daughter or something? I assumed the latter.

At first it's suggested she's someone, like the others he sees, that Max didn't save in the Wasteland but as the flashes occur she goes from calling him "Max" to " Papa" so it's his daughter who he lost with his wife during the collapse of everything.

That is what is so much different with this Max over Mel's take. He's much more damaged and suffering PTSD over the loss of his family and those he was unable to save.

GIFSoup
Must resist....lol

I can understand the high...

But Thunderdome better than MAD MAX?!?!?!?
smh

Eh. Mad Max is just a grueling film to slug through now. I just find Thunderdome more entertaining that isn't a chore to watch like the first one. lol

At first it's suggested she's someone, like the others he sees, that Max didn't save in the Wasteland but as the flashes occur she goes from calling him "Max" to " Papa" so it's his daughter who he lost with his wife during the collapse of everything.

That is what is so much different with this Max over Mel's take. He's much more damaged and suffering PTSD over the loss of his family and those he was unable to save.
I figured as much, thanks. It's great how the movie is able to get these things across without being laden with melodramatic dialog.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I mean...yeah my first reaction right now is that I fucking loved it! It's like the perfect child of Mad Max 2/Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and before anyone is worried about that last part I'm talking the strong visual identity of that movie and some of the weird shit. lol

Fury Road is just full of weird shit and just completely nuts, intense and outrageous. It kicks off in full gear from beginning to end and never lets up.

I took a friend who had seen bits of pieces of the older movies before watching them fully last year and to sum up his thoughts: He thought Charlize was a bigger bad ass than Max but that Max also totally made the movie and he's right on both points but when Max acts it's with furious force and a big presence on screen. Hardy's Max is also a more "damaged" than Mel's Max too.

My friend said the film was so intense he was sweating throughout the whole thing and the theater was packed with some 320 seats that seemed to be love the film enough where everyone started clapping.

That Doof Warrior with the flaming guitar is one of the more normal people you'll see in the film.

MadMaxTrailer.gif

not enough weird and crazy is exactly what I was fearing the movie to be, so glad to hear it turned out to be the opposite

unnngghhhh this is getting unbearable

Simo

I figured as much, thanks. It's great how the movie is able to get these things across without being laden with melodramatic dialog.

Yeah I didn't mind those elements but apparently in the test screenings a lot of the negative feedback was on those sequences because they felt they didn't make sense. lol

Camwi

Hype overload!

Fuck it man, Beyond Thunderdome is totally a fun movie. And I really liked the Peter Pan shit, I thought it was a cool character arc for Max

Yeah, people are taking that movie too seriously. I think it's entertaining as hell the entire way through. I'd also agree that it's better than the first Mad Max.

Tried to watch Beyond Thunderdome just now but I had to stop when the kids showed up. Everything that happeneds after Max leaves Barter Town feels like it belongs in a different franchise.
I mean the Barter Town stuff has it's cheese too but..
mad-max-alem-da-cupula-do-trovao.jpg

Ehhhh... Lets just say I'm glad Fury Road isn't following up on this stuff.

Fuck it man, Beyond Thunderdome is totally a fun movie. And I really liked the Peter Pan shit, I thought it was a cool character arc for Max

160.gif

Thinking about maybe buying tickets to see Fury Road next week.

Hey simo or others who watched it in 3D, be honest, would you recommend 3D IMAX over 2D normal screen size? If I pick 2D, I could just get closer seats to make the screen feel big and way cheaper :p

Wouldn't the picture quality be worse in 3D?

Simo

Hey simo or others who watched it in 3D, be honest, would you recommend 3D IMAX over 2D normal screen size? If I pick 2D, I could just get closer seats to make the screen feel big and way cheaper :p

Picture quality was fine for me but if I had the options I'd go IMAX strictly because the one near me would mean a bigger and much louder screen. lol

For what it's worth George Miller's preferred version is 2D.

Camwi

Is it going to be in IMAX theaters? I thought Avengers was going to claim those for a while.

Top Bottom