• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

bengraven

I mean...yeah my first reaction right now is that I fucking loved it! It's like the perfect child of Mad Max 2/Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and before anyone is worried about that last part I'm talking the strong visual identity of that movie and some of the weird shit. lol

Fury Road is just full of weird shit and just completely nuts, intense and outrageous. It kicks off in full gear from beginning to end and never lets up.

I took a friend who had seen bits of pieces of the older movies before watching them fully last year and to sum up his thoughts: He thought Charlize was a bigger bad ass than Max but that Max also totally made the movie and he's right on both points but when Max acts it's with furious force and a big presence on screen. Hardy's Max is also a more "damaged" than Mel's Max too.

My friend said the film was so intense he was sweating throughout the whole thing and the theater was packed with some 320 seats that seemed to be love the film enough where everyone started clapping.

That Doof Warrior with the flaming guitar is one of the more normal people you'll see in the film.

32355-Dayum-Dayum-DAYUM-Five-Guys-re-iuGN.gif

In a year where two of my favorite franchises are coming back from over a decade of absence, this is my most anticipated film.

Fuck it man, Beyond Thunderdome is totally a fun movie. And I really liked the Peter Pan shit, I thought it was a cool character arc for Max

I have to say I love Thunderdome.

Mad Max is awesome for being the "pre-apocalypse" or "apocalyptic" film. Things suck. Australia has basically become a third world country due to fuel shortages. Entire towns are empty and full of rambling teens or biker gangs. It's slower. There are more characters. Has some boring parts, but those parts are also interesting if you look at the context - the police scenes for example are interesting because you see how trashy their precinct is. How justice is breaking down to the point that we can just ignore a lawyer. There are several fucking amazing action sequences, but it's not a wasteland yet because things are still breaking down.

Road Warrior is the best of the three and a classic. The movie that inspired every wasteland that followed it. A few boring sequences later in the film with the "good guys in white" but for the most part this is what defined a Mad Max film. Crazy saturated colors, insane characters that are so awesomely ludicrous, heavy metal, and yet scary, fucking awesome hot rods with torture devices. If you haven't seen it and can't see Fury Road yet, go check it out. RW is the closest to FR you're going to get.

And I will say I like Thunderdome. I think 30 years of watching my favorite franchises go to hell for pandering to a younger audience (Star Wars, Batman, etc) have calmed me on this film - it's the least of the three but not the worst film. It's shot beautifully by Miller with a crazy ass action sequence towards the end. I loved Blaster Master - a fucking great Mad Max style character. Great lines - "WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN!?". Yes, it features lost boys and a man who helps them find family, but it's still apocalyptic, still fits in with the character, and isn't a fairy tale. It feels more like Max's last shot at redemption, humanity. Some also say it changes focus with those last sequences but I would argue it's just a film in three pieces - three very different pieces, but three pieces none-the-less. It's a fun film to watch, just not as hardcore as the previous - there are dark parts, though - I probably cried as much at the sand sequence as a kid as I did Atreyu and the Swamp of sorrow in Neverending Story.

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH Just found out my only local cinema is only showing this in 3D. 3D films make me feel ill with stomach pains and terrible headaches.
It's not fair..

Camwi

Nope, Avengers is moving the fuck out. Ends on 13th May.

That's the best news I've heard all week.

And I will say I like Thunderdome. I think 30 years of watching my favorite franchises go to hell for pandering to a younger audience (Star Wars, Batman, etc) have calmed me on this film - it's the least of the three but not the worst film. It's shot beautifully by Miller with a crazy ass action sequence towards the end. I loved Blaster Master - a fucking great Mad Max style character. Great lines - "WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN!?". Yes, it features lost boys and a man who helps them find family, but it's still apocalyptic, still fits in with the character, and isn't a fairy tale. It feels more like Max's last shot at redemption, humanity. Some also say it changes focus with those last sequences but I would argue it's just a film in three pieces - three very different pieces, but three pieces none-the-less. It's a fun film to watch, just not as hardcore as the previous - there are dark parts, though - I probably cried as much at the sand sequence as a kid as I did Atreyu and the Swamp of sorrow in Neverending Story.

Beyond Thunderdome was filled with awesome characters that Miller is so good at creating. Hopefully everyone at least agrees that Tina Turner was a badass in that movie. I love the "But he's just a raggedy man!" line.

Snaku

Banned
Nope, Avengers is moving the fuck out. Ends on 13th May.
iUUOOPHHxxukM.png

i3t7UStX5AqG6.png

That's really good news, sounds like they picked they perfect time to release after Avengers. Hopefully by the third weekend Avengers will have dropped enough to not seriously cut into Fury Road.

bengraven

Beyond Thunderdome was filled with awesome characters that Miller is so good at creating. Hopefully everyone at least agrees that Tina Turner was a badass in that movie. I love the "But he's just a raggedy man!" line.

Tina Turner is fantastic in that. Outrageous diva who is also dangerous as fuck. Perfect for an aging pop/rock singer. I admit, I didn't want to see it as a kid because I didn't like TT's music and I thought she was corny, but she brought it.

RedStep

That's really good news, sounds like they picked they perfect time to release after Avengers. Hopefully by the third weekend Avengers will have dropped enough to not seriously cut into Fury Road.

Please note that the situation appears to be different in the US vs. overseas - all but one of the IMAX theaters I can find here (CA) are going straight from Avengers to Tomorrowland on the 22nd. I read that Disney had contracted them as such, looks like not much hope at the moment.

Please note that the situation appears to be different in the US vs. overseas - all but one of the IMAX theaters I can find here (CA) are going straight from Avengers to Tomorrowland on the 22nd. I read that Disney had contracted them as such, looks like not much hope at the moment.
Is it even coming out on IMAX in USA?

Simo

I don't think it's going to be overly violent or gory. Might be on the lower end of R rated violence. Don't remember the first movies being that violent.

Movie is violent as hell. One person gets fucked up with a gas hedge trimmer!

It's just not overly gory.

Snaku

Banned

Well damn.

Jibbed

They've got film branding on the side of the Lotus F1 cars this weekend, amazing haha.

For anyone that doesn't know, it's almost a guarantee that one of them will crash with this on the side.

So I know this isn't a reboot, but how standalone is it? Will someone who's never seen the original films be able to make sense of it and enjoy it? Are there references to all three of the previous films here?

I was going to try to see at least Mad Max and the Road Warrior in advance, but based on what some people have told me I might skip Thunderdome unless there's stuff in there that's paramount to this film.

Experien

So I know this isn't a reboot, but how standalone is it? Will someone who's never seen the original films be able to make sense of it and enjoy it? Are there references to all three of the previous films here?

I was going to try to see at least Mad Max and the Road Warrior in advance, but based on what some people have told me I might skip Thunderdome unless there's stuff in there that's paramount to this film.

It sort of is a reboot but you could also just say it is another story of MAX. You don't need to see the first one but they don't really go over what EXACTLY happened to him. You just know he lost his family and it made him crazy.

You don't need any other movie to enjoy this movie.

Why is it a shame? None of the Mad Max movies are gory. They don't need to be.

I didn't say they needed to be. I was just hoping for a lot of gore considering the rating. It's not going to have any impact on the quality of the film for me, but if a film is gory it's a bonus.

deleted

Wow, glad to see all these good reactions!

I'm more hyped for this than Star Wars and AoU. More convinced in it being a great movie and not only an action fest too.

I have to say I love Thunderdome.

Mad Max is awesome for being the "pre-apocalypse" or "apocalyptic" film. Things suck. Australia has basically become a third world country due to fuel shortages. Entire towns are empty and full of rambling teens or biker gangs. It's slower. There are more characters. Has some boring parts, but those parts are also interesting if you look at the context - the police scenes for example are interesting because you see how trashy their precinct is. How justice is breaking down to the point that we can just ignore a lawyer. There are several fucking amazing action sequences, but it's not a wasteland yet because things are still breaking down.

Road Warrior is the best of the three and a classic. The movie that inspired every wasteland that followed it. A few boring sequences later in the film with the "good guys in white" but for the most part this is what defined a Mad Max film. Crazy saturated colors, insane characters that are so awesomely ludicrous, heavy metal, and yet scary, fucking awesome hot rods with torture devices. If you haven't seen it and can't see Fury Road yet, go check it out. RW is the closest to FR you're going to get.

Spot on, bengraven.

I really enjoy Thunderdome. If you look at the Mad Max sequence of films, they just progressively get more bizarre. I love that. I also appreciated the lost kids because they represented a different level of survival than what we saw in TRW and in the actual Barter Town- and that aspect of civilization reverting back to a more primitive time is represented in a more brutally innocent way. I loved the way they interpreted things based on their limited knowledge as children and vague visual aid. The scene where they tell the story of the 'Pocky-clypse' is really underappreciated, IMO.

Human beings have a tremendous ability to adapt and survive. Under the right circumstances (in this case a sort of oasis with available resources), the idea of a group of kids creating their own hierarchy and survival system is perfectly believable to me.

But as you mentioned, the film also acts as a vessel to pull more humanity out of a broken man- Max. It leads to a certain level of redemption, however the cold, hard truth is that in the end he's still left alone, wounded, in an unforgiving wasteland. His moment of sacrifice in the end separates him from so many others- and I don't think that moment is achievable without his time (as a reminder of who he was) with those kids.
It's just a bitter-sweet wrap up to the trilogy for me. It bums me out when people shit on it from such great heights.

DieH@rd

Banned
I mean...yeah my first reaction right now is that I fucking loved it! It's like the perfect child of Mad Max 2/Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and before anyone is worried about that last part I'm talking the strong visual identity of that movie and some of the weird shit. lol

Fury Road is just full of weird shit and just completely nuts, intense and outrageous. It kicks off in full gear from beginning to end and never lets up.

I took a friend who had seen bits of pieces of the older movies before watching them fully last year and to sum up his thoughts: He thought Charlize was a bigger bad ass than Max but that Max also totally made the movie and he's right on both points but when Max acts it's with furious force and a big presence on screen. Hardy's Max is also a more "damaged" than Mel's Max too.

My friend said the film was so intense he was sweating throughout the whole thing and the theater was packed with some 320 seats that seemed to be love the film enough where everyone started clapping.

That Doof Warrior with the flaming guitar is one of the more normal people you'll see in the film.

HOLY FUCK

This movie. This movie. When I get to a PC (phone is dying) I can elaborate, but I loved this thing. It's a monsters. A loud fucking monster.

If word of mouth isn't great for the theater run its going to kill home videos/VOD.

Mad Max: Fury Road and Dredd are going to be part of some crazy future midnight feature, 20 years from now.

Got to see it tonight. Totally insane. Difficult to even describe. It feels like a Action Rock Opera or something. There are clearly acts through the movie and the use of fade to black was so odd to see since you really don't see that in film now days.

Entire movie hardly lets up. Just a 2 hour chase sequence.

Hardy has 50 lines in the entire film. Theron is strong and awesome. Villains are under-developed by again after you give up on learning anything you just enjoy how over the top it is.

It is an beautiful movie, non-stop action but It will be interesting to see how it does because it is not a typical action movie for todays market.

10de421mlstq.gif

I tried watching Thunderdome two nights ago, for the first time in probably 15 years.

Phew, man. I couldn't even finish it. It starts off fine, but once Max is banished and the lost boys come into play, it turns into a kinda goofy, almost kids movie--until, of course, one of the kids is sucked into a quicksand pit.

I really think it's the music and how they decided to approach the lost boys. It really does feel like it's from another movie.

There was something really sad and kinda frightening about the Feral Kid in Road Warrior. Because of that, he felt authentic. There really isn't any of that with the tribe that Max finds in Thunderdome.

I didn't even finish it. I got as far as Peter Pan Max breaking into Hook's lair Bartertown and freeing Master.

I tried watching Thunderdome two nights ago, for the first time in probably 15 years.

Phew, man. I couldn't even finish it. It starts off fine, but once Max is banished and the lost boys come into play, it turns into a kinda goofy, almost kids movie--until, of course, one of the kids is sucked into a quicksand pit.

I really think it's the music and how they decided to approach the lost boys. It really does feel like it's from another movie.

There was something really sad and kinda frightening about the Feral Kid in Road Warrior. Because of that, he felt authentic. There really isn't any of that with the tribe that Max finds in Thunderdome.

I didn't even finish it. I got as far as Peter Pan Max breaking into Hook's lair Bartertown and freeing Master.

You unfortunately missed the amazing ending, which is classic George Miller car-train chase, massive stunt craziness.

You unfortunately missed the amazing ending, which is classic George Miller car-train chase, massive stunt craziness.

Oh, I plan on finishing it this week. It really does seem like a bunch of different movies in one, and I assume there would be some trademark craziness--just was a little too annoyed to finish it at that point.

Oh, I plan on finishing it this week. It really does seem like a bunch of different movies in one, and I assume there would be some trademark craziness--just was a little too annoyed to finish it at that point.

To be fair, Beyond Thunderdome's production was kind of a mess.

Miller (correct me if I'm wrong Simo/BobbyRoberts) did the first and last sections of the film, but Miller's friend George Ogilvie had to step in to cover the middle of the film. I think Miller was emotionally wrecked by the accidental death of long time friend/producer Byron Kennedy in '83, but I'm not sure if that had any direct connection to the split directing duties between Miller & Ogilvie.

To be fair, Beyond Thunderdome's production was kind of a mess.

Miller (correct me if I'm wrong Simo/BobbyRoberts) did the first and last sections of the film, but Miller's friend George Ogilvie had to step in to cover the middle of the film. I think Miller was emotionally wrecked by the accidental death of long time friend/producer Byron Kennedy in '83, but I'm not sure if that had any direct connection to the split directing duties between Miller & Ogilvie.

Interesting. I actually thought that the lost boys sections might have been the first little hints of Miller's desire to do family-oriented stuff, as he did with Babe 2 and the Happy Feet movies, but that was just speculation.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. I actually thought that the lost boys sections might have been the first little hints of Miller's desire to do family-oriented stuff, as he did with Babe 2 and the Happy Feet movies, but that was just speculation.
I think they definitely were. Miller still co-wrote the screenplay to the entire film.

Top Bottom