• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

ahoyle77

Heading out to see this solo at 11 tonight. Hope it is worth the hype. I thought it looked ok at best from the trailers. Bad thing about R movies in a new town, I end up seeing those films by myself (my son accompanies me to most!).

As a film student and aspiring film director, everything about a movie is amplifide for me. CG is more noticeable and less impressive, flaws become apparent than to average viewers, but the good stuff pops more too.

God damn, this a film packed to the brim with good stuff. I have absolutely no complaints.

This film should be the benchmark for all action films that follow, especially in the battle of CG vs Practical effects. Watching the Jurassic World trailer, I just rolled my eyes over and over again. Mad Max? My friends and I are still riding the adrenaline high.

What an absolute treat in every sense of the word. Thank you, George Miller. This was excellent.
Now, get to work on Mad Max: Furiosa

JB1981

Have to be honest with you, Gaf. I did not love this movie. Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. The action sequences are extraordinary. Maybe I am getting old or something but this movie was exhausting. The heroes are always on the run. There is constant, relentless, unending movement in this movie. Sure, it takes a breather here and there but by the time this thing was over I just kind of checked out. It didn't help matters much that Tom Hardy put in such a middling performance. He is relegated to the background and he adopts a very strange accent. He sounded weird as fuck. Charlize Theron's performance was very strong. She's got a great face and wonderful physicality and feminine vulnerablity in the role.

The apocalyptic setting was just absolutely mental in its realization but I need a little more out of my action movies. I didn't care that much for Max at all. I did care when the girls were in peril but when it was all said and done I felt kind of whatever about the whole thing. I can't believe this movie has reviewed as well as it has. My theater also seemed to fucking hate it.

Oersted

JB1981

Just finished watching this in 3D..

And oh boy, what a crazy ride it was...The Mad Order 1886 !
Was it crazy ?! Yes....was it worth it ?! No...The movie sacrifices story and script for its 2h long chase/explosions and stunts. Performances (apart from Nox) were mediocre all around, the script was terrible, with a handfull of lines per character (literally...theres about 10-20 lines each), failed attempt at drama, when in the end you dont feel anything for any of the characters. Tom Hardy played Bane in this movie, but in a goofy way, he felt goofy all throughout the movie instead of badass. Charlize was incredibly depressive and the models were...models. Every character seemed to have forgotten how to communicate, or have a QI of 10, everything they say is 3-4 words long tops.

The soundtrack as good as it is, was so overused.

It seems like every single character was designed with such an amazing detail, the world is gorgeous, the details impecable, but at the expense of story which is really non existant.

The villain never did anything at all, aside from talking, and when he tries to do something, dies very quickly. Having a movie where 90% is a chase scene, isnt the smartest thing, when you ditch completely character and world development.

I LOVED The Order 1886, but the majority praised its looks and bashed its story, when in Mad Max, the same rule should apply.

I am a Hardy fan, Love that man, its incredible to see him fall so flat in this performance that required someone who could go all-in crazy. This was probably my most hyped film this year, and I must say...what a disapointment.

I completely agree with everything you just said

Oni Jazar

Have to be honest with you, Gaf. I did not love this movie. Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. The action sequences are extraordinary. Maybe I am getting old or something but this movie was exhausting. The heroes are always on the run. There is constant, relentless, unending movement in this movie.

YES AND IT WAS AWESOME.

"MAD MAX IS A MOVIE MADE WITH CAPS LOCK ON"

THERE'S FIRE AND GUNS AND MORE GUNS AND SPEED AND BLOOD AND A FAILED WORLD DOMINATED BY IDIOTBOYS AND CHARLIZE THERON DESTROYING EVERYTHING IN HER PATH AND AAAHHHHH IT'S SO GOOD. EVERYTHING THIS FILM IS DESIGNED TO DO DEPENDS ON IT OVERPOWERING YOU WITH THE MOST BASIC ELEMENTS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE: FLIGHT, PAIN, FEAR AND MAYBE HOPE. HOPE'S A MAYBE. IT'S SOMETHING AROUND THE CORNER AND EXCUSE US BUT BEFORE WE GET TO HOPE WE HAVE TO BEAT THIS MUTANT UNCONSCIOUS WITH AN OXYGEN CANISTER AND SEE IF WE CAN SHOOT THIS BIKER OFF HIS BIKE MID-AIR LIKE SOME KIND OF HUMAN CLAY PIGEON. WE CAN TOTALLY SHOOT THIS BIKER OFF HIS BIKE MID-AIR LIKE A CLAY PIGEON BECAUSE AFTER WATCHING MAD MAX FURY ROAD I FELT LIKE I COULD DO ANYTHING EXCEPT SLEEP OR DRIVE SAFELY.

Shoul have named it MAD FURIOSA:FURIOSA'S ROAD...or something. i swear she's twice the badass Max is. held her ground without her prosthetic arm, not too shaby with a rifle and kickass behind the wheel.

Have to be honest with you, Gaf. I did not love this movie. Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. The action sequences are extraordinary. Maybe I am getting old or something but this movie was exhausting. The heroes are always on the run. There is constant, relentless, unending movement in this movie. Sure, it takes a breather here and there but by the time this thing was over I just kind of checked out. It didn't help matters much that Tom Hardy put in such a middling performance. He is relegated to the background and he adopts a very strange accent. He sounded weird as fuck. Charlize Theron's performance was very strong. She's got a great face and wonderful physicality and feminine vulnerablity in the role.

The apocalyptic setting was just absolutely mental in its realization but I need a little more out of my action movies. I didn't care that much for Max at all. I did care when the girls were in peril but when it was all said and done I felt kind of whatever about the whole thing. I can't believe this movie has reviewed as well as it has. My theater also seemed to fucking hate it.
That's like the whole point. That's why it's so well received. A wild masterfully crafted roller coaster ride of amazing practical effects, incredible stuntwork, and beautiful cinematography. The story is meant to be minimal and told through the visuals. The world building of that mental apocalyptic setting, the hints of the wider world that adds texture to the setting

JB1981

That's like the whole point. That's why it's so well received. A wild masterfully crafted roller coaster ride of amazing practical effects, incredible stuntwork, and beautiful cinematography. The story is meant to be minimal and told through the visuals. The world building of that mental apocalyptic setting, the hints of the wider world that adds texture to the setting

Yea I get that. I just didn't really care by the end.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this is the last time I follow Gaf's advice. All the praise and hype and all these glowing reviews got me really excited, and now that I've seen it I must admit: this is not a good movie, let alone a great one

it was a FUCKING PHENOMENAL movie

Nerdkiller

Membeur

AND YEAH I DON'T KNOW IF THERE'S ANYTHING NEW HERE AND HONESTLY THAT DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL. THEY GET SOME COOL CGI THEY DIDN'T HAVE FOR THE FIRST ROAD WARRIOR MOVIES IN THE FIRST 15 MINUTES AND MAYBE A BIGGER BUDGET TO MAKE SHIT LIKE THE METALDEATHMOBILE WITH THE GUY ON GUITAR PLAYING WHILE IMMORTAL JOE AND HIS VARIOUS OBESE HORRIBLE SUBWARLORDS WHIP THE WARBOYS INTO A FRENZY. FOR THE FIRST 15 MINUTES OF THE MOVIE I HAD THIS WEIRD DISTANCED FEELING LIKE "THIS IS ME WHO WATCHED ALL OF THE MAD MAX MOVIES WATCHING A SIMULACRUM OF A MAD MAX MOVIE WITH A GIANT CGI SANDSTORM/NUCLEAR CYCLONE IN IT" AND THAT WAS WEIRD.
I'm gonna call it that from now on.

phaonaut

Sound design was awesome, one of my favorite scenes.

Front on shot of Immortan Joe after he ran over his wife. Intense repeating mechanical sound in the background, with his mask it seems like he is screaming. You don't realize its his son firing a machine gun until they pan over.

Not the actual pic of Joe from that scene.

c3xFWY4.jpg

B5LQ4ABCUAAEtV6.jpg

Sound design was awesome, one of my favorite scenes.

Front on shot of Immortan Joe after he ran over his wife. Intense repeating mechanical sound in the background, with his mask it seems like he is screaming. You don't realize its his son firing a machine gun until they pan over.

Not the actual pic of Joe from that scene.

I didn't notice that the first time, but I really like
how they opened the jaw of the mask
. It's ridiculous yet very affecting.

Slixshot

Banned
God damn, I haven't been able to stop thinking about this movie. Those who didn't enjoy it, I'm legit sad you can't enjoy it as much as I did because this movie instantly became one of my favorites I've ever seen.

Gimme dat PS4 mad max!!!!!

Edit:
fantastic movie, just got back from watching

guitar guy is god

I had my eyes on him every scene he was in m/

BTM

this is the last time I follow Gaf's advice. All the praise and hype and all these glowing reviews got me really excited, and now that I've seen it I must admit: this is not a good movie, let alone a great one

it was a FUCKING PHENOMENAL movie

Had me scared there for a moment. Fucking Phenomenal movie indeed.

Theron's eyes for Best Actress

Like, I wanna see them announce that nominee at the Oscars, and it just clips of how much her eyes have to do."These are the five nominees for best Lead Actress performance....Charlize's Theron's eyes, for Mad Max: Fury Road *applause*" The focus and intensity, compassion and guilt ridden, vengeful and regretful, and she legit looked
dead after that stab near the end

Simo

Alright. Tickets booked for tomorrow night and driving 45 minutes to the theater because it's decked out with D-Box seats and per a gaffers a recommendation I want to try them out!

Got my ticket. Just waiting for ny friends to show now. I will go in without them if necessary.

I will post my impressions later. I'm very excited for the movie. It's gonna be very hard for it to meet my expectations but if it does, you guys are definitely going to hear about it.

Anyone who's seen it in IMAX 3D and 2D both, can you review the 3D? Any motion blur?

2D was great for me last night. Superb cinematography.

Eidan

Just got back from seeing this. Have never seen a single Mad Max film before.

This movie was incredible. There were parts where my jaw was agape, overwhelmed with how awesome everything was. Charlize Theron was remarkable.

Imperial

Yup, this movie was pure insanity from start to finish. Loved every minute of it.

Fury Road > Road Warrior > Mad Max >>>>> Beyond Thunderdome

I'm pretty sure this movie just changed the way I few my relationship with my friend.

I went with my friend because she wanted to see it. I was going to wait to see it with my dudes but she knew I was visiting my dad in the hospital and asked if I wanted to go with her.

No joke, this is the first time I have ever been attracted to this girl. She's really pretty but I see her as just a friend. Now though? She has good taste in films and likes Pizza.

Fuck.

Oh and I am starting to think I like Fury Road more than I like Road Warrior.

megalowho

Def a movie that rolls around in your head a bit after, so much imagery to sift through.

Keep coming back to Nicholas Hoult's character in particular, he sneaks up on you over time. Will pay attention to him more the next time I see it, really compelling performance.

BTM

I'm pretty sure this movie just changed the way I few my relationship with my friend.

I went with my friend because she wanted to see it. I was going to wait to see it with my dudes but she knew I was visiting my dad in the hospital and asked if I wanted to go with her.

No joke, this is the first time I have ever been attracted to this girl. She's really pretty but I see her as just a friend. Now though? She has good taste in films and likes Pizza.

Fuck.

Looks like it's time to make a move.

Just finished watching this in 3D..

And oh boy, what a crazy ride it was...The Mad Order 1886 !
Was it crazy ?! Yes....was it worth it ?! No...The movie sacrifices story and script for its 2h long chase/explosions and stunts. Performances (apart from Nox) were mediocre all around, the script was terrible, with a handfull of lines per character (literally...theres about 10-20 lines each), failed attempt at drama, when in the end you dont feel anything for any of the characters. Tom Hardy played Bane in this movie, but in a goofy way, he felt goofy all throughout the movie instead of badass. Charlize was incredibly depressive and the models were...models. Every character seemed to have forgotten how to communicate, or have a QI of 10, everything they say is 3-4 words long tops.

The soundtrack as good as it is, was so overused.

It seems like every single character was designed with such an amazing detail, the world is gorgeous, the details impecable, but at the expense of story which is really non existant.

The villain never did anything at all, aside from talking, and when he tries to do something, dies very quickly. Having a movie where 90% is a chase scene, isnt the smartest thing, when you ditch completely character and world development.

I LOVED The Order 1886, but the majority praised its looks and bashed its story, when in Mad Max, the same rule should apply.

I am a Hardy fan, Love that man, its incredible to see him fall so flat in this performance that required someone who could go all-in crazy. This was probably my most hyped film this year, and I must say...what a disapointment.

Two things you missed

1) the story Fury road was an excuse for a 2 hour car chase done really well and was never meant to be the focus, its a frame work for action movie

2) the order pushed its cinematic story as a big deal, when its story is terrible and a large portion of the game is dedicated to it that's why people give it flak

Comparing fury road to the order is laughable and smh at the people who agree with that idea. I can understand people not liking the film for being nothing but a 2 hour car chase or they wanted some more story substance or a variety of action scenes etc. Even still you have to admit the action and stunt work is extremely well done both in the way it was filmed and in its execution. In an era full of hard to follow shaky cam cgi fests to have a film we need more films like Fury Road to remind us what good action in films should be like.

dekline

I might just hit the theater by myself for the first time in my life. The earliest I'll be able to catch this with another human being is sunday night/monday. I can't wait that long!

"It started as most stories of true love tend to begin: Over a greasy paper plate, half-eaten slices of pizza resting on them like two halves of the same heart; the ringing, clanging cacophony of doofs getting their shit wrecked at 74 miles an hour playing sweetly below the unrealized desire just starting to awaken, as a 40ft tall vision of Charlize Theron's bald head loomed over them like a grimacing, angry moon."

mreddie

Fuck.

Oh and I am starting to think I like Fury Road more than I like Road Warrior.

Go for it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Had me scared there for a moment. Fucking Phenomenal movie indeed.

tee hee

I can't comprehend this movie. its sole existence doesn't make any sense in the current market. Yet, there it is, like a swordsman going against an army of futuristic Nazi cops with tachyon weapons and slicing his way through against all odds. Like Bourne owning a guy with a magazine. Like the T-800 outsmarting the T-1000 and winning. Like Syrio Forel crushing armoured skulls with a training wooden sword. In other words, it's the best big budget action movie of the decade. It's not flawless, but who gives a shit

Top Bottom