• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

To be fair, Beyond Thunderdome's production was kind of a mess.

Miller (correct me if I'm wrong Simo/BobbyRoberts) did the first and last sections of the film, but Miller's friend George Ogilvie had to step in to cover the middle of the film. I think Miller was emotionally wrecked by the accidental death of long time friend/producer Byron Kennedy in '83, but I'm not sure if that had any direct connection to the split directing duties between Miller & Ogilvie.

Miller just directed the action sequences, Ogilvie directed everything else. It was due to Byron's death since he and Miller were best friends and production partners so it hit hard and Miller didn't want to make the film. To this day Miller says he has no recollection of directing ANYTHING on Thunderdome thats how hard he was hit by Byron's death.

Man, is it the 15th yet?!

Simo

How bad are the shakey cam/jump cuts?

Can't say there was much shaky cam. All the action was precise and clear to see on screen.

There were a few trademark Miller techniques used like a couple of times the action was "sped up".

Is it like not having ADS in a shooter?

Only kidding. ;)

Ha! To be fair, my main issue wasn't the lack of ads, it was the snobbish behaviour of those that didn't want it. Like fake blood, it's not important for it to be included, but it's a bonus for me personally.

I'm not concerned. It just doesn't make any sense. I thought maybe you'd come up with a reason for why it made sense if I asked, but you didn't.

Because I like fake blood and viscera, I don't really see why you'd need a reason other than that and it makes perfect sense to me. Sorry I couldn't give you a better reason, one that settled your curiosity.

In the future I will consider others like yourself when I'm asking about something that slightly matters to myself and nobody else.

Because I like fake blood and viscera, I don't really see why you'd need a reason other than that

That wasn't the reason you initially gave, though. Eventually you got around to it, at which point I stopped asking because there's nothing more to it.

In the future I will consider others like yourself when I'm asking about something that slightly matters to myself and nobody else.

Okay.

That wasn't the reason you initially gave, though. Eventually you got around to it, at which point I stopped asking because there's nothing more to it.

Okay.

Look, I don't understand the attitude you have with my post, I said I hoped for it to be gory, I thought you'd be able to use your sense of deduction as to why that was the case (obviously not) as I had to reply to you a number of times. You seem incredibly defensive about this film, so I will refrain from posting any more of my disappointments, no matter how small and inconsequential they are to anybody else but myself. Good day, enjoy the film. I know I will.

Look, I don't understand the attitude you have with my post,

There's no attitude.

I don't know what you're doing right now. You gave me a direct answer and so I ceased responding. I'm confused as to what this is now, or how you're interpreting this weird cul-de-sac you're doing cookies in as my being "defensive" of a film neither of us have even seen yet.

Foggy

There's no attitude.

I don't know what you're doing right now. You gave me a direct answer and so I ceased responding. I'm confused as to what this is now, or how you're interpreting this weird cul-de-sac you're doing cookies in as my being "defensive" of a film neither of us have even seen yet.

Both of you need to move on with your lives.

Must see this.

Is it wrong that I have Tina Turner's lovely voice singing away in my head?
For all of Beyond Thunderdome's issues, that theme song has stuck with me for decades.

I'd already moved on. That's why I'm confused.

Your attempts to mediate are appreciated, though

Guys, guys, guys, I got this. I did this in a Marvel thread, so it'll work.

I'm Wayne Brady in this gif. Bobby is the bald guy. Praxis is the blonde guy.

rko-on-wayne-brady-o.gif

For all of Beyond Thunderdome's issues, that theme song has stuck with me for decades.

I've always been kinda annoyed that One of the Living was one of those situations where the album version was different than the one played in the movie. Not sure the movie version has ever been released either. =/

element

I'd also suggest NOT seeing it in 3D. It really didn't add anything and it is clear that when they do use it, it is done in a silly way ala Drive Angry 3D.

I'd also suggest NOT seeing it in 3D. It really didn't add anything and it is clear that when they do use it, it is done in a silly way ala Drive Angry 3D.
Good to know, hate 3D. Where's the source that George Miller said to see it in 2D? Simo in this thread said that.

Chris R

Can't say there was much shaky cam. All the action was precise and clear to see on screen.

There were a few trademark Miller techniques used like a couple of times the action was "sped up".

I might just see this in theaters then if I can find it on a big screen in 2d. Just didn't want to spend money on a ticket to end up with shakey cuts ever .5 seconds whenever any action was going on.

Simo

LOL

Again regarding the violence and/or gore. The violence is on par with The Road Warrior and then some just because of how sustained it is throughout but like that film you never really see the full "impact" as it cuts away not showing it leaving it to the imagination again BUT when it does show the full shot yeah it's pretty intense and all the more shocking.

Just found this great interview with Miller where he talks about the movie and PG-13. I guess the studio tested both the R cut and a watered down PG-13 version and the latter didn't test as well as the R cut so WB went with Miller's cut. Kudos to them!
http://www.askmen.com/recess/interviews/mad-max-fury-road-interview.html

rhfb said:
I might just see this in theaters then if I can find it on a big screen in 2d. Just didn't want to spend money on a ticket to end up with shakey cuts ever .5 seconds whenever any action was going on.

Check out these 2 action clips from the movie. Obviously they're edited down since a lot more happens but it gives you a better idea than what I can describe. Minor Spoilers naturally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRpPOiP6TRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_l65La7Gk

My FROTHING DEMAND for this movie... wait for it........ wait for it...................................

INCREASES.

Edit: Doh -_-

For those who have seen it, does Max actually come off as the main character of this movie. Seems like a lot of the emphasis is on Charlize Theron, which is fine, but I want to make sure the focus of Mad Max is...well, on Max.

Simo

For those who have seen it, does Max actually come off as the main character of this movie. Seems like a lot of the emphasis is on Charlize Theron, which is fine, but I want to make sure the focus of Mad Max is...well, on Max.

In the beginning yes and then after the first act it becomes more of an ensemble but Max has plenty of great moments.

Simo

I'd say even in 3D the cinematography was beautiful.

Bright, vivid colors throughout and the night time scenes...just these beautiful blue colors...a particular night scene came off looking so "alien" that I looked to my friend and asked him what the fuck I was looking at but that was mostly because of something else on screen but still. lol

EDIT: Another reviews has popped up, never heard of the site though but be wary of spoilers:
http://thecinemachina.com/2015/05/m...on-masterpiece-motion-grit-nihilistic-mayhem/

A truly outrageous, operatic, expressive poem to metal, engines, blood and sand, Fury Road is an absolute visual delight popping with color (no bland, post-apocalyptic desaturation going on here) and propulsion – filling every frame with as much information and weight as possible, and with CG used sparingly (occasionally used to enhance a landscape or backdrop); every piece of metal and flesh is clear and palpable. Again, Fury Road is a film partially about the very idea motion, and the way it informs the lives of these characters, so having this film be one of the most fluid and tightly-edited action pieces of recent memory only extends itself to the genuinely bizarre and moving story Miller is telling.

Mad Max: Fury Road, one the year’s most highly-anticipated films more than lives up to the hype surrounding it. With it, George Miller has crafted an insane, propulsive action masterpiece featuring some of the clearest, most fluid action in recent memory; all in service of an affecting, feminist-geared story of trauma and motion.

EDIT 2: For those interested in the box office it looks like Fury Road is now tracking for a weekend opening around $40 million with Pitch Perfect 2 around the same but analysts given PP2 the edge but word of mouth could drive Fury Road to a bigger BO:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/b...perfect-2-eye-40-million-openings-1201490072/

void666

Banned
My hype is so big i dreamed i was watching mad max fury road. There was some of the lost kids in it. They were wearing colored tribal clothing. Trippy shit.

overcast

Not sure if it has been asked, but how much did the trailers show in relation to the great scenes.

I haven't seen the newest trailer.

Simo

My hype is so big i dreamed i was watching mad max fury road. There was some of the lost kids in it. They were wearing colored tribal clothing. Trippy shit.

And yet not as trippy as the actual film.

Oh, forgot the L.A premiere was tonight. Shit, Cory Barlog worked on the game for a few years and they still sent him to the premiere? Nice!

Jonm1010

Banned

Bright, vivid colors throughout and the night time scenes...just these beautiful blue colors...a particular night scene came off looking so "alien" that I looked to my friend and asked him what the fuck I was looking at but that was mostly because of something else on screen but still. lol

EDIT: Another reviews has popped up, never heard of the site though but be wary of spoilers:
http://thecinemachina.com/2015/05/m...on-masterpiece-motion-grit-nihilistic-mayhem/

EDIT 2: For those interested in the box office it looks like Fury Road is now tracking for a weekend opening around $40 million with Pitch Perfect 2 around the same but analysts given PP2 the edge but word of mouth could drive Fury Road to a bigger BO:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/b...perfect-2-eye-40-million-openings-1201490072/
Awesome, on all accounts. Especially the box office tracking. Anything to create some data to incentivize these studios to keep rolling out R rated action films with good budgets.

Mad Max and Deadpool being successes could really re-open the doors for studios financing big budget R-rated movies. Or at least allow some of these films that got neutered down to PG-13 to just stay as they are.

I think it is about time too. I think there is clearly a market for it. Its just the ROI sticking point.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

GAF better do their part, goddammit. Marvel GAF alone could bring those numbers up. LET'S DO THIS!!!

(yes, I'm pretty fuckin amped for this movie.)

that was a REALLY good review, expressive in its details but surprisingly light on spoilers. Laughed at the last line

"Oh yeah: see it in 2D, ya goons."

Its how George Miller would have wanted it after all.

Simo

Should I watch the 3 previous Max films to make this a better experience or go in with a blank baby booty slate?

You don't have to no. The film is self contained and the opening sets up everything you need to know on whats happened with the world and Max.

Jonm1010

Banned
GAF better do their part, goddammit. Marvel GAF alone could bring those numbers up. LET'S DO THIS!!!

(yes, I'm pretty fuckin amped for this movie.)

I'll be seeing it Friday or Saturday opening weekend. If I am convinced others will like it, I will drag others to my second viewing like I did with Dredd.

I feel like if it is trending 40 million that word of mouth will ultimately push it above 100 million. How much higher I am not sure. Hopefully it breaks 200.

Overseas is what I am also really curious about.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Should I watch the 3 previous Max films to make this a better experience or go in with a blank baby booty slate?

Hmm. Maybe just read up on the series? If not, just Road Warrior would work. I think you're fine just knowing generally what to expect but still going in basically fresh for maximum HOLYSHITBALLS moments.

Top Bottom